Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,819 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by TCTTS
The Collective
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well, mark it down, the Emperor is going to return and toss Snoke down a ventilation shaft to save Rey.
amercer
AG
Disney has already shown they aren't afraid to rewrite and reshoot
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Something I've been wondering since before TFA...

Did the Lucasfilm Story Group create the story for the whole trilogy before even starting? Or did JJ basically start from scratch?

Furthermore, did he map out the character's future and past storylines or is each writer/director doing their own thing? In other words, is Colin given free reign to decide where Rey came from if it's not revealed in TLJ?
Buck Compton
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Is Colin given free reign to decide where Rey came from if it's not revealed in TLJ?
Surely he isn't. Let's hope not, anyway. If so, maybe she will tame some terentatek to run beside her speeder as they go to fight Snoke...
TCTTS
AG
I had a whole timeline typed up about the chain of events and what was likely decided when, but I accidentally swiped across my mouse, went back a page, and when I went forward again my post was gone. So frustrating.

In short, Abrams + Kasdan + the Story Group figured out the broadest beats of the trilogy between summer 2013 and April 2014, as Abrams and Kasdan wrote TFA (based on some of Arndt's original ideas from his treatment/early draft). Johnson came on board summer 2014, while filming on TFA was in full-swing, and he then worked with the Story Group to flesh out the broadest strokes of the trilogy even further, while writing TLJ. By the time Trevorrow came on board summer 2015, most everything had likely been figured out - Rey's parents, every major character's arc, how it would all end, etc. Granted, Abrams + Kasdan + Johnson + the Story Group almost assuredly didn't have the act turns, additional characters, etc. required for Episode IX all figured out - that was likely left to Trevorrow to flesh out in his draft - but you can bet he had certain already-established sign posts he had to hit. There was a map already in place for sure, and it was his job to just fill in the blanks as he went along, if not a bit more. That's not to say that either Johnson or Trevorrow didn't likely influence or overturn already-decided broad-stroke plot-points, I'm just saying with each director to come on board, there were less broad strokes to figure out from scratch.
M.C. Swag
AG
I'm scared to death that Trevorrow is attached to this. I have no faith in him.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I figured it was something like this.

I'd hate to have this guy come in and basically throw out everything that was written before he came in. To me, it was sounding like he didn't like Rian's script decided to start over.
TCTTS
AG
I don't think Johnson ever got that far. That was always an unconfirmed rumor to begin with, and even then, it was just that Johnson might do an outline.
Flashdiaz
AG
Concerning for sure.

Regardless, i trust Kathleen and the story group to get it right... they're literally building worlds (theme parks) based on these movies.
Belton Ag
AG
Actually I trust Kennedy to make sure whatever gets turned out isn't crap. If Lucas were still in charge with Treverrow writing I'd probably already be depressed, but after TFA and Rogue One I'm pretty confident in the whole operation.
redline248
AG
I'll echo the thought that with Disney in charge, they'll keep MFs in line.
Simplebay
AG
Colin Trevorrow felt like a money making grab for me, rather than an artistic one.

Jurassic World was no work of art. And Safety Not Guaranteed was simply a fine film, but again....to finish off the freaking new Star Wars trilogy?

I'm worried.

Johnson seemed like a smart, funky pick to take the franchise in a new direction. And the guy has the chops.

Trevorrow just piggybacked off a huge franchise already that people wanted more of, and made a mediocre movie that ended up at #4 all time worldwide box office.

Sound familiar?
The Collective
AG
Lucasfilm is so obsessed with creating the original trilogy, they are ensuring that the third act does not exceed the first two.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

Colin Trevorrow felt like a money making grab for me, rather than an artistic one.
Is it, though? He's not exactly a househould name. Also, it's Star Wars we're talking about here. They could hire a monkey and it would make $2 billion.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
To me, looking at JW vs JP, it makes sense if you want a director that can handle a large production and little risk. It bores me but doesn't bother me. He took JW seriously and genuinely wanted to make a good movie. He had a LOT to lose on making a bad movie so he kind of punted and made a good one that everyone pretty much saw coming but nothing groundbreaking. Sure, I would have preferred someone who has more outward vision but I am not worried about SW under him either. I consider this a "safe" hire. We'll get a good, fun movie, even if it isn't anything Earth shattering on new ground.
TCTTS
AG
Good point.
Urban Ag
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

To me, looking at JW vs JP, it makes sense if you want a director that can handle a large production and little risk. It bores me but doesn't bother me. He took JW seriously and genuinely wanted to make a good movie. He had a LOT to lose on making a bad movie so he kind of punted and made a good one that everyone pretty much saw coming but nothing groundbreaking. Sure, I would have preferred someone who has more outward vision but I am not worried about SW under him either. I consider this a "safe" hire. We'll get a good, fun movie, even if it isn't anything Earth shattering on new ground.
Confirmed

Return of the Jedi

israeliag
AG
Thanks for the heads up the direction here from the Jw2 thread. Funny I didn't read this thread since the Trevorrow started to be discussed here (or the Trevorrow news in general) before posting on the JW2 thread.

Not sure if I should feel comforted or not that others share my concern about him.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Urban Ag said:

TheEyeGuy said:

Confirmed

Return of the Jedi

Trevorrow is going to bring back ewoks isn't he....
The Collective
AG
This is a few months old - not sure if ever posted to this thread:
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
JuliusCaesarAggie
Malachi Constant
AG
AT-STs! AT-STs!
redline248
AG
"Were there any?"

I died.
Urban Ag
AG
I am a lifelong Star Wars fan and often critic. I've had plenty of negative things to say. That being said, that was just stupid.

Rogue One is a fantastic movie. That was just some dorks, trying desperately to find a niche being ultra dorks bashing a decent Star Wars movie. Lame.
redline248
AG
I actually agree with you. I did laugh at the line I quoted above, and the level of ridiculous was a little amusing...but I thought it was dumb.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
These guys have gotten annoying lately, imo.

The parody episodes where they poke fun at Collider, etc. would've worked as a bit for a few minutes, but entire episodes of it?
MandoArms
Yea I really don't see the humor in that video...I kept waiting for the punchline.
The Collective
AG
Nerds making fun of nerds.
3rdGen2015
AG
I have no words

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
BrownCoat said:

Yea I really don't see the humor in that video...I kept waiting for the punchline.
There really isn't one. They're making of fun of other movie review / geek channels on Youtube, because.... well I'm not really sure. Because they enjoyed the new SW movies, I guess?

I don't quite get the joke either.
JuliusCaesarAggie
Its a much-shortened clip from their Rogue One review. If you're a fan of Collider/IGN/Screen Junkies, you're probably not going to like RLM.
JuliusCaesarAggie
Urban Ag said:

I am a lifelong Star Wars fan and often critic. I've had plenty of negative things to say. That being said, that was just stupid.

Rogue One is a fantastic movie. That was just some dorks, trying desperately to find a niche being ultra dorks bashing a decent Star Wars movie. Lame.
So you didn't cum?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Used to like all of them until they started doing this crap for entire episodes/reviews.

What exactly sets them apart as nerds/geeks that they feel in a position to ridicule those other media channels?
First Page Last Page
Page 588 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.