Star Wars Discussion Thread

3,171,856 Views | 30618 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know a lot of people here really like those Collider/Schmoeville guys, and I think they're at least genuinely passionate, but no one in Hollywood really takes any of them seriously for the very reason the Red Letter guys hit on... everything is awesome to them, they're always the first to react to all the blockbusters in which their praise is almost always glowing, and they do have a tendency to use the same, cliched phrasing over and over again. And look, I could be considered just as guilty at times, but a lot of those guys are basically socks for the studios. Studios literally fly them around the world for completely comped set visits, pay them to attend premieres, and send them all kinds of free merchandise. Because most of those those outlets are usually guaranteed lays who will effusively report on their sets visits (which the studios coordinate to "release" in conjunction with certain marketing phases), and then effusively praise the movies themselves the second they screen. Collider, Slashfilm, First Showing, etc... again, they're all well liked and they have great content, but they're also in bed with the studios big time. That's not to say they don't go off script a decent amount, or, again, aren't genuinely passionate, but the inside baseball of it all is more than what you might perceive.

So what sets someone like Red Letter Media apart? They're not shills. And as successful as Collider and Slashfilm are, they deserve a little ribbing now and then if only for how fanboy-ish they can be, never mind the fact that they ultimately serve as independent marketing arms for the studios.
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't know about the other guys, but the Collider crew have no qualms about calling out a crappy movie when they see one. Happens pretty often, matter of fact.
Duncan Idaho
How long do you want to ignore this user?
3rdGen2015 said:

I have no words



I do..... "terrible" and "unfunny" come to mind
Ag Since 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hollywood doesn't take shills seriously? I'all keep that in mind next time the marketing department behind The Circle tries to convince me it's amongst the most anticipated films of the year.

I do agree about RLM though. They are great because they do not give a ***** I've heard the guys from Screen Junkies talk about it: "we have to worry about building our subscriber base...those guys don't care and that's why they're awesome"
Blatant Disregard
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The only problem I have with RLM is they overdo it a little bit. The main guys have some great points about plot and story structure, and some really good critiques. But, I have to watch 20 minutes of "jokey time" to get the 3-4 good nuggets.
vwbug
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Which episode did they make fun of Collider in? Would love to see that one.
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can't remember seeing this on the thread before. If so, apologies.

twilly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hadn't seen that one before. Very interesting and informative. Nice find!
Texags is garbage
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The 'Rebel Rising' audiobook released today is pretty good IMO. Some background on the relationship between Jyn and Saw. Can tell it's a young adult novel though.
vwbug
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TCTTS said:

I know a lot of people here really like those Collider/Schmoeville guys, and I think they're at least genuinely passionate, but no one in Hollywood really takes any of them seriously for the very reason the Red Letter guys hit on... everything is awesome to them, they're always the first to react to all the blockbusters in which their praise is almost always glowing, and they do have a tendency to use the same, cliched phrasing over and over again. And look, I could be considered just as guilty at times, but a lot of those guys are basically socks for the studios. Studios literally fly them around the world for completely comped set visits, pay them to attend premieres, and send them all kinds of free merchandise. Because most of those those outlets are usually guaranteed lays who will effusively report on their sets visits (which the studios coordinate to "release" in conjunction with certain marketing phases), and then effusively praise the movies themselves the second they screen. Collider, Slashfilm, First Showing, etc... again, they're all well liked and they have great content, but they're also in bed with the studios big time. That's not to say they don't go off script a decent amount, or, again, aren't genuinely passionate, but the inside baseball of it all is more than what you might perceive.

So what sets someone like Red Letter Media apart? They're not shills. And as successful as Collider and Slashfilm are, they deserve a little ribbing now and then if only for how fanboy-ish they can be, never mind the fact that they ultimately serve as independent marketing arms for the studios.
Are you saying John Campea is a puppet for the big studios?
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Talking more about Weintraub and Sciretta, specifically. Campea is more of a lone wolf. He's been with AMC, Collider, and a couple other places.
CJS4715
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This whole discussion is making me think of trailer reaction videos... stumbled across this one after TLJ trailer drop.
I bet this dude and his family are totally objective in their opinion of Star Wars movies:
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Twitter at it's best, thanks cuppy

Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Can't remember seeing this on the thread before. If so, apologies.


Finally watched this. Pretty cool video. Whenever I watch these I find myself wondering how much of that was the actual intent of the movie makers vs how much was lucky accident. Maybe a bit of both
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have to agree on Weintraub, he does seem like a bit of a "shill". Always seem to be extra agreeable in all his interviews, to an annoying degree. (A-la Fallon.)

But I never really get that sense with Campea and his crew.
JuliusCaesarAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I have to agree on Weintraub, he does seem like a bit of a "shill". Always seem to be extra agreeable in all his interviews, to an annoying degree. (A-la Fallon.)

But I never really get that sense with Campea and his crew.
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That last guy's reaction
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:


This is like the best thing ever.
scoop12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I listen to Collider all the time, but I find Campea to be a raging tool. The rest of that group seems like a fun group of guys. Campea is just arrogant and a shameless self promoter. I really do enjoy their show though as long as his contribution is limited.
BrownCoat
How long do you want to ignore this user?


If you like the Beatles and Star Wars you may love this.
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Duncan Idaho
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/2017/05/03/526707829/sgt-peppers-becomes-a-star-wars-parody-in-comical-new-album
CJS4715
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Luke is in the Desert is genius.
gougler08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
All 6 movies are airing on TBS today
Champ Bailey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My buddy ran into one of the luckiest guys in the world this weekend; he was an ex boyfriend of Daisy, and is now dating Emma Stone.
M.C. Swag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Step down IMO
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Step down IMO

sure but he's still playing in a ballpark none of us can even get tickets to watch in.

TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Speak for yourself.
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

Speak for yourself.

ok maybe you get to watch....sometimes.
M.C. Swag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's not really a shocker that a young hollywood star is dating another young hollywood star. Just sayin, homie took a step back.
CJS4715
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Champ Bailey said:

My buddy ran into one of the luckiest guys in the world this weekend; he was an ex boyfriend of Daisy, and is now dating Emma Stone.


Here's to the ones who dream
Foolish as they may seem
CJS4715
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Star Wars complete canon timeline... just started it but assume it would be worthwhile here:


I'm interested in the early parts of this video being explored via film... really hope they go there.
TexasAggie_02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Page 589 of 875
 
×
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.