Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,169 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by TCTTS
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I still really want Mara Jade to officially become canon
gougler08
AG
redline248 said:

I've never been to a con, but I have spent time looking at photos from them. Lots of women dress as twilek dancers. Other characters from the old EU have representation as well. Google "Mara Jade cosplay"
Redheads...yes please
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Urban Ag said:

So the last time we went was summer of 2013. You can tell that the people doing the Star Wars characters really love their job.

So at one point, I was trying to find my wife and kids and was kind of oblivious to what was going on around me. A certain character picked up on this. All of a sudden, someone or something hit me square between the shoulder blades, literally hard enough to knock me to a knee. I had that initial, shocked, WTF?, ready to throw down reaction. I spun around and right up in my grill is.................Chewbacca............who then lets out the famous Chewie growl/howl complete with shaking his arms over his head. I instantly just lost it, busted out laughing, all the people around us were laughing. Then Chewie did the sympathetic wookie howl, head bent to one side then put a big bear hug on me.

It's a nice touch the way the interact with the visitors.
That's awesome.

I don't have anything quite this awesome to share, but on my last trip to WDW, we all posed for a photo with Sully and Mike of Monsters Inc. I had had a bunch of shots with different fully costumed characters (ie, not princesses) by this time, and in each I had put my arm around them as if we were long lost friends. (I would not do that with Cinderella et al because ... well, could be awkward, plus I got a dirty look from Snow White on our first trip when I stepped on her freaking skirt as I was trying to get a shot of my girls with Ariel and SW was right behind me). So I went to put my arm around Mike the green ball with legs, and my Aggie Ring made a very loud clank against that hard plastic shell. Mike instantly pulled away, stomped his scrawny leg, and the Disney photographer said I was not allowed to touch the characters.

So now with your story, I'm wondering what the policy is. The characters are allowed free reign to punch, molest, etc the guests, but oh hell no, don't you dare go putting your arm around Mike. Apparently.
Meeting Kylo was awkward, because it's Disney: He's in full menacing, flippant character (thhough in the back of my mind, I'm thinking this is some dweeb from Florida State who has been watching Prequals all his life)... Anyways, so because he's not "Happy Cheery Princess" Disney, and he's menacing mean-guy Disney - it would have been very awkward (and out of character on my part) to attempt to put my arm around Kylo Ren...

Chewbacca was nails (Except he was a little short - because he makes me look like I am 6'6" - which I am not!)
SpreadsheetAg
AG
gougler08 said:

redline248 said:

I've never been to a con, but I have spent time looking at photos from them. Lots of women dress as twilek dancers. Other characters from the old EU have representation as well. Google "Mara Jade cosplay"
Redheads...yes please

AMW2010
AG
Is Snoke an acronym for Sith No One Knew Existed ?
Dro07
AG
yes
Flashdiaz
AG
AMW2010 said:

MGS
AMW2010 said:

SPOILER ALERT
AMW2010
AG
Not a spoiler... this is a discussion thread... I'm merely starting a discussion... my YouTube is littered with Star Wars suggestion pages, and I saw that one that got my interest.
The Collective
AG
AMW2010 said:

Is that similar to a R.O.U.S.?
MandoArms
Who else is excited to hear more about Rose?
It is about time the Maintenance Crews got a main character.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
CJS4715 said:

AMW2010 said:

Is that similar to a R.O.U.S.?
Yep
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Meeting Kylo was awkward, because it's Disney: He's in full menacing, flippant character (thhough in the back of my mind, I'm thinking this is some dweeb from Florida State who has been watching Prequals all his life)... Anyways, so because he's not "Happy Cheery Princess" Disney, and he's menacing mean-guy Disney - it would have been very awkward (and out of character on my part) to attempt to put my arm around Kylo Ren...

Chewbacca was nails (Except he was a little short - because he makes me look like I am 6'6" - which I am not!)
I believe the actors portraying their characters always stay "in character" - when we met Jafar (villain from Aladdin), he was just plain mean. Actually made my niece cry.
Flashdiaz
AG
let's hope there's not a Revenge of The Sith Anakin running around amidst all those kids.
twilly
AG
BrownCoat said:

Who else is excited to hear more about Rose?
It is about time the Maintenance Crews got a main character.
Ag Since 83
AG
https://www.nytimes.com/books/best-sellers/hardcover-fiction/?_r=0
TCTTS
AG
I'd say this finally clears the way for the Han Solo movie and Episode IX to move to December... if Disney/Lucasfilm wants. It always seemed as if they might be waiting to hear what Avatar was going to do, and now there's finally a concrete answer.

That said, again, Han Solo likely would have moved by now, seeing as it's been evident for a good while that Avatar 2 at least wasn't going to make December 2018. And with only 13 months to go until Han Solo's release, they likely would have done so already. Regardless, I'd say this solidifies that whatever SW "phase" comes after Episode IX, it will almost assuredly be May for good now, so they might as well start with Han Solo next year, as is the current plan...

And for those curious, there have always been tentative/vague "December 201[X]" plans for the Avatar sequels, but this is the first time Cameron has announced hard/specific dates, with filming kicking off this summer...

I don't know who asked for these movies, but they sure as hell are committing to making this a thing. And just FYI, less time will have passed between the first two Terminator movies (7 years) than Avatar movies (11 years). Crazy.
redline248
AG
I don't think I'll be interested in that many Avatar films. Similar to how I lost interest in the Pirates franchise

Not that anyone asked...
TCTTS
AG
I could understand a couple of sequels like five years after the first one, and wrapping it up there. But FOUR sequels over SIX YEARS, 11 YEARS after the first one? I can't see how this ends well.
redline248
AG
It probably won't
Buck Compton
AG
redline248 said:

I don't think I'll be interested in that many Avatar films. Similar to how I lost interest in the Pirates franchise

Not that anyone asked...
How could anyone be that interested in them? The first one was purely for the design/CGI accomplishments. The second/third/fourth/etc. won't be ground-breaking in the same way.

They're not special stories. Is there a follow-up story to Pocahontas they can rip off? Then again, never underestimate the general public.
redline248
AG
I think it's possible Cameron comes up with a new cutting edge technology for the first sequel, but who knows how likely. I do agree about that being a big draw the first time. Who knows what kind of story there will be though.
M.C. Swag
AG
I'm looking forward to em! An expanded scope should do wonders for that franchise. And I'd be willing to bet almost everyone here will pay for a ticket to see the sequel(s).

It'll be guaranteed visual spectacle, and can at least put to rest the "Pocahontas" rip off complaints.
TCTTS
AG
I'll say this... I will never not look forward to a James Cameron film. He's a true pioneer and visionary, he brought some phenomenal screenwriters onboard to help with these scripts, and he didn't move forward 'til he was 100% satisfied with all four scripts, despite having to push release dates. I commend him for not rushing these. That said, I just can't conceive of caring about the fifth movie in this franchise, but I'm absolutely open to being proven wrong.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
TCTTS said:

I'll say this... I will never not look forward to a James Cameron film. He's a true pioneer and visionary, he brought some phenomenal screenwriters onboard to help with these scripts, and he didn't move forward 'til he was 100% satisfied with all four scripts, despite having to push release dates. I commend him for not rushing these. That said, I just can't conceive of caring about the fifth movie in this franchise, but I'm absolutely open to being proven wrong.

Yep.....and consider his track record when doubted

Aliens - spent too much and too long after original - blockbuster
T2 - spent too much and too long after original - blockbuster
Titanic - spent too much and everyone knows the ending - blockbuster
Avatar - spent too much, story is meh, it's just his tech wetdream - blockbuster

Terminator was of course low budget and blew away expectations. True Lies and The Abyss while not mega blockbusters at least made money.

M.C. Swag
AG
I'm not saying the 5th installment of Avatar is a great idea, let alone whether it will be good. Just sayin all these people that poo poo-ed Avatar 1 to the point they have "no interest" in a sequel, is prolly overblown. Avatar 2 intrigues the hell out of me. 1) due to an expanded scope and 2) because Cameron has a proven track record of producing high quality sequels.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

I could understand a couple of sequels like five years after the first one, and wrapping it up there. But FOUR sequels over SIX YEARS, 11 YEARS after the first one? I can't see how this ends well.

People have doubted Cameron his whole career. Titanic and Avatar were in danger of being the two if the biggest flops of all time before release, and we know how that turned out.
AliasMan02
AG
Do you know what these Avatar movies are? They're Cameron's Simpson's Movie. Like when Simpsons wanted to make the jump to 3D rendering/digital for the show, he has new tech that he wants to develop and explore, so he needs projects to do it. These will give him the revenue he needs to justify spending a billion dollars on whatever deep water CGI rover he has dreamed up, or whatever.

It is NOT impossible that the last couple of these movies are planned as the first generation of a new type of glassesless 3D projection or hologram or something really out there.
redline248
AG
Isn't that what I said?
The Collective
AG
SeattleAgJr
Brian Earl Spilner said:

TCTTS said:

People have doubted Cameron his whole career. Titanic and Avatar were in danger of being the two if the biggest flops of all time before release, and we know how that turned out.
NOONE is out there saying, gee, I would like MORE Avatar movies.

There was a group of proto-SJW ******* who wanted to move to a planet like Pandora around the time the movie came out, but I am pretty sure even they have moved on.
M.C. Swag
AG
Bet you still pay for a theatre ticket
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
CJS4715 said:

This about sums it up.

Aside from the movie's problems with its story, which I am sure has been discussed as nauseum, I will say that upon walking out of the theatre with my wife after seeing that movie, I explained why I was not impressed. I felt that the movie did not draw me in, so I felt as if I was viewing it from afar. Contrast that with Star Wars, specifically The Empire Strikes Back, which brought me down to the surface and involved me more directly in its action.
SeattleAgJr
M.C. Swag said:

Bet you still pay for a theatre ticket
nope.

A sequel would not be compelling enough to go see it in the theatre.

I liked the first one due to its visual. Not the story. Not the acting.

While I expect he new ones to be as visually stimulating, I really do not care about the 9 foot tall smurfs and their concerns.
Hagen95
AG
Who pollutes a star wars thread with Avatar garbage. 24 hour bans for all.
First Page Last Page
Page 584 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.