Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,408 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by TCTTS
M.C. Swag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I get all that and think the criticism is well warranted. It was preachy and cliche, all the while feeling awfully claustrophobic for such a "world building" debut. The acting was sub par as well. HOWEVER, Im still excited about its potential. A Disney backed sci fi franchise helmed by James Cameron?! I'll bite. And I bet you will too.

I'd wager the odds favor it doing better than you're giving credit. I'll set a reminder for this post.
SeattleAgJr
M.C. Swag said:

I get all that and think the criticism is well warranted. It was preachy and cliche, all the while feeling awfully claustrophobic for such a "world building" debut. The acting was sub par as well. HOWEVER, Im still excited about its potential. A Disney backed sci fi franchise helmed by James Cameron?! I'll bite. And I bet you will too.

I'd wager the odds favor it doing better than you're giving credit. I'll set a reminder for this post.

I have no desire to take away your anticipation of the film. I hope you enjoy it.

Cameron is hit or miss for me. I loved Aliens. I liked T2. I am ambivalent about Titanic (story was stupid), but it was executed incredibly. Loved True Lies for its cheesiness.

Avatar was just meh for me. There is no way that it or its sequels will ever be more than that.
M.C. Swag
AG
Oh fox owns it? What's with Avatar world in Disney theme park? (Genuinely curious) I just assumed Disney owned it.
An Ag in CO
AG
Quote:

On September 17, 2011, Disney entered into an exclusive, long-term licensing agreement with Cameron's Lightstorm Entertainment and Fox Filmed Entertainment for the worldwide theme park rights to Avatar; Disney agreed to pay Cameron and Fox a licensing fee and a percentage of merchandise sales.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

NOONE is out there saying, gee, I would like MORE Avatar movies.

Speak for yourself.
redline248
AG
On the topic of the Thrawn novel, does any of it deal with time after Rebels? Yes or no only, please.

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Oh fox owns it? What's with Avatar world in Disney theme park? (Genuinely curious) I just assumed Disney owned it.
Disney has worked with 20th Century Fox before. Currently in their Great Movie Ride, there is a section where riders get to see Sigourney Weaver and a couple of Aliens, one coming out from the wall and another in the ceiling.

Prior to that, at Magic Kingdom, there was a "ride" called, I think Alien Extra-Terrorestrial, which might well just have been called Alien. You were seated in a circular room with these shoulder harnesses that came down to secure you in your seat. You weren't actually ever going to move but the harnesses were pretty impressive. The story was something about an intergalactic transmission between the "station" you were sitting in and a far-off planet or spaceship or something; while the transmission was happening, the beam between the "station" and the target crossed on unknown alien planet, and this causes a bunch of problems in the "station". Lights start to go on and off, there are explosions, and suddenly lots of screaming and yelling. The transmission has inadvertently brought something into the room (I guess it was not so much as transmission as a teleportation?) There is a creature in the room with you. It is killing everyone. At one point you feel it "step" on you when the shoulder harness comes down roughly on your shoulder. At another point you are sprayed with "blood". It was a damn great "ride" that was replaced with a G-rated Lilo and Stitch themed ride after some namby-pamby's decided the original "ride" was far too scary.
AgMarauder04
AG
Buck Compton said:

redline248 said:

I don't think I'll be interested in that many Avatar films. Similar to how I lost interest in the Pirates franchise

Not that anyone asked...
How could anyone be that interested in them? The first one was purely for the design/CGI accomplishments. The second/third/fourth/etc. won't be ground-breaking in the same way.

They're not special stories. Is there a follow-up story to Pocahontas they can rip off? Then again, never underestimate the general public.

Pocahontas 2.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I went on that ride at age 10 or 11. Scared the hell outta me.
Karrde
AG
Haven't seen rebels, but I believe everything in the novel leads up to rebels, and might overlap with the beginning of the show. By that I mean the time lines might overlap, there is no appearance by any of the rebels crew in the thrawn novel, just governer Pryce.

I'm familiar with the rebels cast by their appearance in the x wing game, so I would have recognized their names even though I haven't watched the show.
redline248
AG
Thanks.
SeattleAgJr
redline248 said:

On the topic of the Thrawn novel, does any of it deal with time after Rebels? Yes or no only, please.

There is one paragraph very very late in the book that you can set the timeline at that point in the novel to just right before season 3.

Other than that, no.
SeattleAgJr
Karrde said:

Haven't seen rebels, but I believe everything in the novel leads up to rebels, and might overlap with the beginning of the show. By that I mean the time lines might overlap, there is no appearance by any of the rebels crew in the thrawn novel, just governer Pryce.

I'm familiar with the rebels cast by their appearance in the x wing game, so I would have recognized their names even though I haven't watched the show.
Just FYI, if you are talking about the old XWing game, there is no tie between that and Rebels.
TCTTS
AG
Excuse me, why are you guys talking about Star Wars? This is clearly an Avatar thread.
SeattleAgJr
TCTTS said:

Excuse me, why are you guys talking about Star Wars? This is clearly an Avatar thread.
AREN'T YOU SUPPOSED TO BE WORKING ON SOME SHARK IN THE LAKE MOVIE WITH A BUDDY OF YOURS!!??!?!?!?!

WHERE IS THE DAMN TRAILER OF HOT CHICKS WITH BIG BOOBS GETTING MUCHED BY SHARKS!!!!! IN A LAKE!!!!!
SeattleAgJr
TCTTS
AG
It's not just "some shark in the lake movie." The title is Shark In the Lake, thank you very much.
TCTTS
AG
Meanwhile, it looks like Sam Esmail could very well be taking over my former gig of writing Kenobi: A Star Wars Story...

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

Thanks for the thread derail, btw.
TCTTS
AG
I had NO CLUE people would dive into Avatar discussion like that. Only reason I posted it because it could have a potential affect on Star Wars dates.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

I could understand a couple of sequels like five years after the first one, and wrapping it up there. But FOUR sequels over SIX YEARS, 11 YEARS after the first one? I can't see how this ends well.

One response in and you threw a log on the fire. You basically created the discussion, dude. Lol.
TCTTS
AG
My deepest apologies for engaging someone's follow up.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I don't particularly care. Just thought it was funny/ironic how you were criticizing the thread for the mess you started.
TCTTS
AG
I was clearly joking around, making fun of the mess I had started.
SeattleAgJr
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I don't particularly care. Just thought it was funny/ironic how you were criticizing the thread for the mess you started.
and thank you for the second tier derail...
TCTTS
AG
- Posted stupid, kind-of-SW-related Avatar news.
- Posters bite, thread gets derailed on a Saturday (i.e. who cares?)
- I own up to my mistake in a joke.
- Follow up with legit Star Wars news.
- Brian derails thread again not getting joke that goes over his head.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Maybe I'll start another thread for crapping on Avatar. Honestly it might go longer than this thread.

TC, you might have birthed another epic thread like you did with this one.
TCTTS
AG
Ag Since 83
AG
Karrde
AG
Should have been more clear, I was referring to the X-Wing miniatures game (by FFG), which came out a few years back, not the old X Wing computer game. The Ghost was released as a model last year, and Sabine's captured TIE was released this year. Most of the crew make appearances in the game as either pilots or crew upgrades.
The Collective
AG
Is there a movie franchise that Spilner won't defend?
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
CJS4715 said:

Leonard Parts 1-5?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
CJS4715 said:

Transformers
Mr. White
You have a soul. Good.
redline248
AG
So perfect
First Page Last Page
Page 585 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.