Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,746 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
According to Rian Johnson, the title was always meant to refer to Luke as the last Jedi. He was surprised the singular/plural thing was even a question.

But, then where did Spanish-speaking countries get the idea to translate it to plural?
AgMarauder04
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

According to Rian Johnson, the title was always meant to refer to Luke as the last Jedi. He was surprised the singular/plural thing was even a question.

But, then where did Spanish-speaking countries get the idea to translate it to plural?

IT WAS THERE THE WHOLE TIME
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Agreed, and I always thought the same. But the plural Spanish titles threw me and a lot of people for a loop.

I wonder if it was just the theaters who decided that was the correct translation with no input from Lucasfilm?
AgMarauder04
AG
I would guess Lucasfilm never even considered it.

When we have so much less context than the film makers, they sometimes forget it's not as obvious.

I would bet Johnson would laugh when we were debating if it was really Luke who said it was time for the JEdi to end.
redline248
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

IT WAS THERE THE WHOLE TIME
epiphany upon seeing this pic:

Luke knows Snoke and the first order are out to destroy him. So when he says "time for the Jedi to end" what he really means is he's about to go wreck their shht up.
AgMarauder04
AG
So, he's gonna kill Snoke and then take his place as head of the New Order
redline248
AG
the New Jedi Order

The Collective
AG
What about Snoke's comment from TFA:

Quote:

The droid will soon be delivered to the Resistance, leading them to the last Jedi. If Skywalker returns, the new Jedi will rise.

Is this just a simple comment about there being new Jedi or does he have a sense that a completely different type of Jedi will rise?
Urban Ag
AG
So the last time we went was summer of 2013. You can tell that the people doing the Star Wars characters really love their job.

So at one point, I was trying to find my wife and kids and was kind of oblivious to what was going on around me. A certain character picked up on this. All of a sudden, someone or something hit me square between the shoulder blades, literally hard enough to knock me to a knee. I had that initial, shocked, WTF?, ready to throw down reaction. I spun around and right up in my grill is.................Chewbacca............who then lets out the famous Chewie growl/howl complete with shaking his arms over his head. I instantly just lost it, busted out laughing, all the people around us were laughing. Then Chewie did the sympathetic wookie howl, head bent to one side then put a big bear hug on me.

It's a nice touch the way the interact with the visitors.
Flashdiaz
AG
Urban Ag said:

So the last time we went was summer of 2013. You can tell that the people doing the Star Wars characters really love their job.

So at one point, I was trying to find my wife and kids and was kind of oblivious to what was going on around me. A certain character picked up on this. All of a sudden, someone or something hit me square between the shoulder blades, literally hard enough to knock me to a knee. I had that initial, shocked, WTF?, ready to throw down reaction. I spun around and right up in my grill is.................Chewbacca............who then lets out the famous Chewie growl/howl complete with shaking his arms over his head. I instantly just lost it, busted out laughing, all the people around us were laughing. Then Chewie did the sympathetic wookie howl, head bent to one side then put a big bear hug on me.

any slave outfit Leia's walking around giving hugs?
jbanda
AG
I believe there was an annoucement a while ago that stated that they'd scrub all merchanising materials of "slave girl leia".
The Collective
AG
jbanda said:

I believe there was an annoucement a while ago that stated that they'd scrub all merchanising materials of "slave girl leia".

SJW Disney
caleblyn
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

caleblyn said:

Second, we have a Disney Chase credit card which allows for certain perks at the parks. One of those is that each park has a special character meet-and-greet. We went to an area that used to be the Art of Animation but is now a Star Wars memorabilia area where there are MANY characters walking around. Anyhow, our special spot to do our meet-and-greet was in this building. We walked down a narrow hallway to a 90-degree turn where there was a worker that verified that we actually owned a Disney Chase card. After verifying she told us to, "wait right here," and she disappeared around the corner. I looked back at my wife because this was kind of odd and then the look on my kids faces was priceless. There eyes about popped out there head and I could have easily stuffed a watermelon into the gaping mouths before me. I turned back around and Kylo Ren is standing there. I am 42 years old but I have to be honest...I think I might have peed a little. He said that the lady needed him to check my credit card which I obliged. We walked around the corner to an open area where we took photos. I wish that he could have been a little less in-character but it was still pretty fun!
That is cool! We have that same credit card but last time we did this photo, it was at Epcot and I believe our surprise character was Minnie Mouse. Thrilled my girls but back then they were not doing this at Hollywood Studios. So I will certainly look for this in a couple of years when we go back to Disney World.
EPCOT had the BIG4 (Minnie, Mickey, Pluto, Goofy). Nobody in line so we hung out for about 15 minutes. Pretty cool.
twilly
AG
Seeing how you guys are discussing Star Wars and WDW, this is timely.

Disney wants to launch a 'Star Wars' starship luxury resort, and it looks like a fan's dream

Urban Ag
AG
Flashdiaz said:

Urban Ag said:

any slave outfit Leia's walking around giving hugs?
Yeah, but my attorney has advised me to not post about that incident or the subsequent deal reached with the Orlando prosecutor.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
twilly said:

Disney wants to launch a 'Star Wars' starship luxury resort, and it looks like a fan's dream

Should I just direct deposit my paychecks to Disney from now on?
Duncan Idaho
twilly said:

Damn I was going to be happy if they matched the level of immersion that universal achieved with the Harry Potter parks.
twilly
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

twilly said:

Should I just direct deposit my paychecks to Disney from now on?
The Collective
AG
Soooo...My dream of eating catfish with Admiral Ackbar while planning a space battle is going to become a reality?
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
The new Jedi Order is actually the Grey Order, duh
Urban Ag
AG
CJS4715 said:

Soooo...My dream of eating catfish with Admiral Ackbar while planning a space battle is going to become a reality?
Yup. Blue milk and all.

Seriously, I can't wait for World of Star Wars, I mean, I can't wait to take my kids. Yeah.
MSFC Aggie
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

OnlyForNow said:

Sounds like it's worth a one time price to get this card if I'm gonna go?

What's the annual fee?
I don't believe I am paying any annual fee. You get Disney reward dollars that can be used for anything Disney; last trip out there I paid for tickets for the four of us to do the Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party, where they shut down the park to all but those who have paid for tickets to that event, everything is open and operating as normal, crowd is a bit less and lines are generally shorter with everyone seemingly choosing to watch the parade. Gonna do that again next time.
We basically pay for our admissions with the Disney Bucks we earn.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
caleblyn said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

caleblyn said:

Second, we have a Disney Chase credit card which allows for certain perks at the parks. One of those is that each park has a special character meet-and-greet. We went to an area that used to be the Art of Animation but is now a Star Wars memorabilia area where there are MANY characters walking around. Anyhow, our special spot to do our meet-and-greet was in this building. We walked down a narrow hallway to a 90-degree turn where there was a worker that verified that we actually owned a Disney Chase card. After verifying she told us to, "wait right here," and she disappeared around the corner. I looked back at my wife because this was kind of odd and then the look on my kids faces was priceless. There eyes about popped out there head and I could have easily stuffed a watermelon into the gaping mouths before me. I turned back around and Kylo Ren is standing there. I am 42 years old but I have to be honest...I think I might have peed a little. He said that the lady needed him to check my credit card which I obliged. We walked around the corner to an open area where we took photos. I wish that he could have been a little less in-character but it was still pretty fun!
That is cool! We have that same credit card but last time we did this photo, it was at Epcot and I believe our surprise character was Minnie Mouse. Thrilled my girls but back then they were not doing this at Hollywood Studios. So I will certainly look for this in a couple of years when we go back to Disney World.
EPCOT had the BIG4 (Minnie, Mickey, Pluto, Goofy). Nobody in line so we hung out for about 15 minutes. Pretty cool.

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Urban Ag said:

That's awesome.

I don't have anything quite this awesome to share, but on my last trip to WDW, we all posed for a photo with Sully and Mike of Monsters Inc. I had had a bunch of shots with different fully costumed characters (ie, not princesses) by this time, and in each I had put my arm around them as if we were long lost friends. (I would not do that with Cinderella et al because ... well, could be awkward, plus I got a dirty look from Snow White on our first trip when I stepped on her freaking skirt as I was trying to get a shot of my girls with Ariel and SW was right behind me). So I went to put my arm around Mike the green ball with legs, and my Aggie Ring made a very loud clank against that hard plastic shell. Mike instantly pulled away, stomped his scrawny leg, and the Disney photographer said I was not allowed to touch the characters.

So now with your story, I'm wondering what the policy is. The characters are allowed free reign to punch, molest, etc the guests, but oh hell no, don't you dare go putting your arm around Mike. Apparently.
Flashdiaz
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Urban Ag said:

That's awesome.

I don't have anything quite this awesome to share, but on my last trip to WDW, we all posed for a photo with Sully and Mike of Monsters Inc. I had had a bunch of shots with different fully costumed characters (ie, not princesses) by this time, and in each I had put my arm around them as if we were long lost friends. (I would not do that with Cinderella et al because ... well, could be awkward, plus I got a dirty look from Snow White on our first trip when I stepped on her freaking skirt as I was trying to get a shot of my girls with Ariel and SW was right behind me). So I went to put my arm around Mike the green ball with legs, and my Aggie Ring made a very loud clank against that hard plastic shell. Mike instantly pulled away, stomped his scrawny leg, and the Disney photographer said I was not allowed to touch the characters.

So now with your story, I'm wondering what the policy is. The characters are allowed free reign to punch, molest, etc the guests, but oh hell no, don't you dare go putting your arm around Mike. Apparently.
he was probably a Tech grad still holding a grudge against Aggies.
The Collective
AG
Damn, Disney is going to make a lot of cash...
ChipFTAC01
AG
I stopped following this thread long ago, so maybe this has been covered, but tonight as I was feeding my kid I got thinking about fans' star Wars costumes for cons and such. For you Star Wars uber-nerds, I assume that most of the time it's largely just a mix of Jedis and Storm Troopers, with a good number of Vaders and Leias tossed in. I assume a smattering of Boba Fetts and the slightly outside the box Clone trooper or Chewie.

Is that typically the gamut that you'll see? What are some of the more interesting/creative costume you've seen? Off the top of my head I'd be impressed to see someone pull off a quality Bib Fortuna, Gamorrean, Greedo, more obscure character.
redline248
AG
I've never been to a con, but I have spent time looking at photos from them. Lots of women dress as twilek dancers. Other characters from the old EU have representation as well. Google "Mara Jade cosplay"
dave94
AG
I don't even know who Mara Jade is, but thank you.
SeattleAgJr

Ag Since 83
AG
Basically any human whose face you can see is there in some quantity: Luke, Han, Leia, Lando, Padme, Rey, X-wing pilots, Jedi, Imperial officers, etc.

Then a lot of stormtroopers, Fetts/Mandalorians. Vader and Chewie are actually fairly common as well, as is Kyle Ren now

The aliens I've seen include Twi'leks, Thrawns, Mauls, Ahsokas, the rare Jar Jar, Biths, etc.

Then you have the oddball ones like a group dressed up as Vader and stormtroopers but the helmets are replaced by Muppet masks (yes, this exists)

My favorites are the kids dressed as Jawas though. There was a Jawa carrying BB-8 on his back last week that was pretty awesome. As I didn't get all that close I'm not sure what part was human and what was puppetry.

double aught
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

Love this pic. For 40 years after the original, they look damn good.
The Collective
AG
Mark looks as healthy as ever. I'm probably more happy about the SW resurgence for him than anyone else. He absolutely deserves all of the good fortune and recognition that he is receiving. He has always been the best spokesperson for the SWU.
The Collective
AG
COOL LASER FALCON
I've got a friend who posted a bunch of pictures from Orlando and there were a ton of mashups. People just looking to have fun/ get creative.

First Page Last Page
Page 583 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.