Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,737 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
'Star Wars Episode VII': Sorting out the truth, rumor and speculation so far
Brian Earl Spilner
TCTTS
AG
Btw, in that link Drew basically "confirms" that there's no severed hand floating through space at the beginning. Only a lightsaber, which is what most of assumed. I can buy that.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
But even then, it would make zero sense for it to be his lightsaber from ESB. Has to be one we've never seen before.
TCTTS
AG
Right. No one "in the know" has ever said it was the lightsaber from ESB. That's something fans assumed. It's likely the one he's had since ROTJ, if not an even newer one.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Hopefully it's the one from ROTJ. I was kind of bummed in Attack of the Clones when Ani/Obi got their sabres taken by Dooku and just got thrown a couple of other ones by random guy Jedi - and were like, hey no big deal, we can use these. The connection of a Jedi and his saber should be a really big deal, and Luke, unless he figures out some vast improvement on his design, or changes his fighting style over time, should use the same one he made between ESB and ROTJ.

[This message has been edited by MuckRaker96 (edited 8/19/2014 1:27p).]
MGS
Didn't Anakin lose his light saber _twice_ in AOTC?
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Thank goodness there's no hand floating through space. I'm still lukewarm on the lightsaber floating around, but maybe there will be more to it. Like the debris of a space battle, and among the debris is the lightsaber, then it all descends and burns into the atmosphere, where scavengers looking for salvagable tech find it among the wreckage. THAT would be pretty cool (and awesome looking).

Truth be told, half of the leaks are story ideas I'm not very confident in. Some of it sounds like it has great potential, some of it ... Meh.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Thank goodness there's no hand floating through space. I'm still lukewarm on the lightsaber floating around, but maybe there will be more to it. Like the debris of a space battle, and among the debris is the lightsaber, then it all descends and burns into the atmosphere, where scavengers looking for salvagable tech find it among the wreckage. THAT would be pretty cool (and awesome looking).

Yeah, hopefully it's not JUST lightsaber, but no severed hand either. A bunch of debris from a space battle would be awesome.
redline248
AG
In AOTC Anakin dropped it in the chase with the assassin (Obi-Wan caught and returned it) and then had it chopped in half on the droid assembly line.

AliasMan02
AG
Lightsabers are the slipperiest substance in the galaxy.
BMX Bandit
quote:
The connection of a Jedi and his saber should be a really big deal,

Why?
redline248
AG
From books/animated shows there was a big deal made about how the force guided each Jedi to a unique force crystal with which they would construct their lightsabers.
BMX Bandit
Any hasnt it been established the books are irrelevant?
Bruce Almighty
AG
So is this the longest thread in entertainment board history?
redline248
AG
Unlikely, any of the Game of Thrones might have been bigger.

quote:
Any hasnt it been established the books are irrelevant?

For the most part, yes. However, the Clone Wars cartoon covered this topic somewhat and that is allegedly considered canon.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
So is this the longest thread in entertainment board history?

It will be. It will be.
redline248
AG
Nice.

needs about 2300 more replies, though.
Bruce Almighty
AG
So what's the longest?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Longest one I've ever seen was BrBa season 5 thread. 196 pages. We got a long ways to go.
TajMaballer
AG
I imagine when the first trailer hits this thread will EXPLODE!
Aggie_Journalist
AG
quote:
Longest one I've ever seen was BrBa season 5 thread. 196 pages. We got a long ways to go.

Some of those Lost threads were pretty big, too.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
This thread will accelerate once Rebels is on regularly, and like the other guy said, once that first trailer hits, look out.

Bummed for Luke - getting captured in back-to-back films! I wonder if he had a contingent plan for getting caught by Jabba and Jabba just deciding to shoot him in the head. The extremely elaborate escape scene really depended on Jabba wanting a lot of theatrics.
redline248
AG
At first Jabba was all "F this guy, let the Rancor deal with him." Once Luke handled that he decided "ok, lets make a show of this ahole and his friends. No way he pulls that off twice."

Short of him having Luke knocked out and executed like you suggest, I don't think anything he tried would have worked.
TCTTS
AG
I just had a scary thought. Following the relatively recent trend in blockbusters... what if it's revealed that Luke WANTED to get caught in Episode VII as well?

The Dark Knight... The Avengers... Star Trek Into Darkness... all blockbusters where the villain's entire plan revolved around getting caught on purpose. There was plenty of eye-rolling last summer when STID pulled that stunt with Khan after so many others in recent memory had done the same.

I guess it could be kind of cool with the hero this time instead of the villain, but ultimately, I'm hoping J.J. isn't that derivative (yet again). I can already picture the scene where, just after rescuing Luke, Han or some other main character states the obvious for the audience: "You wanted them to find you. You knew it was the only way to bring us all together..."

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 8/20/2014 12:38a).]
mid90
AG
I have a feeling this was discussed already, so forgive me if so....but does "Rebels" have anything to do with the new trilogy? Or is it just another peek into the Star Wars universe?
TCTTS
AG
^ Yes, Rebels is basically just another peek into the Star Wars universe, but it's slightly more than that. It will also be the first content to be part of the new canon established by Disney. Not only that, but there's apparently a flashback in Episode VII - to events sometime just before A New Hope - that Rebels is either leading to, or will tangentially cover. So... it's kind of connected to the new movie, but not really, though still a big part of a newly-established canon that will see much more coherence overall between mediums/platforms/stories than under the old regime at Fox.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 8/20/2014 12:57a).]
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I just started watching Clone Wars, so I don't know if this is covered but, is it ever explained what happens to Anakin's apprentice before Ep III?
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
I just started watching Clone Wars, so I don't know if this is covered but, is it ever explained what happens to Anakin's apprentice before Ep III?

She leaves the order. This guarantees she'll show up in Rebels, I believe. And, I suspect, one of the new trilogy films.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Ugh, I don't want to see Asokha in the new trilogy. Jedi who disappear and miss the entire Rebellion is just a lazy bunch of writing IMO. They used that bit far too much in the EU novels/comics.

If they do show up, Luke should say, "Hey where the eff were you when I was fighting the friggin Emperor and Darth Vader by myself?"

[This message has been edited by MuckRaker96 (edited 8/20/2014 8:30a).]
redline248
AG
Agree with that 100%. That was my main complaint with clone wars...not resolving her role.
AliasMan02
AG
She may not show up in the new trilogy, but I think will definitely be in Rebels, at least in passing. Her exit was specificallu written to explain how she survives Order 66. They did that for a reason.
wangus12
AG
It'd be interesting to have her show up in a for a small bit in the new trilogy. Maybe talk to Luke more about his father and such.
AliasMan02
AG
I imagine she has some issues. She was the student of the most feared murderer in the galaxy AND had plenty of warning of his Dark Side tendencies.
MGS
I thought the Clone Wars was part of the EU and deemed non-canon by Disney.
First Page Last Page
Page 57 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.