Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,851 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by TCTTS
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I thought the Clone Wars was part of the EU and deemed non-canon by Disney.

No.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Clone Wars is canon.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Beat me to it. From wookieepedia:

quote:
As of April 25, 2014, the only previously published materials that are considered canon are the six Star Wars films and the Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series and film, while the Expanded Universe is no longer considered canon and was re-termed as the "Legends" brand. Most Star Wars material released after April 25, 2014—with some exceptions—is composed in collaboration with the Lucasfilm Story Group, making it part of the "new canon."

On the one hand, it's nice that I no longer have to go through the EU to prepare for the new trilogy, and only have to watch the two animated series to be fully caught up. Furthermore, ALL material from this point forward will be canon and part of the new continuity - novels (starting with A New Dawn), film spinoffs, games, etc.

On the other, some of the Old Republic material seems like it was pretty badass (KOTOR especially), so it kinda blows that none of that stuff is canon anymore.

[This message has been edited by Brian Earl Spilner (edited 8/20/2014 9:31a).]
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
damnit spilner, dont make me start thinking about playing KOTOR again. I'm supposed to be working.
redline248
AG
KOTOR is great....once you spend the 12 hours to get off Taris
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I like Taris, it's nice to play a game where you are de-powered and have to really scrap to get things done.

I'd watch a KOTOR full-length movie any day of the week and waste hours on TexAgs casting it:

Have Danny Glover drop 60 pounds and he's Jolee Bindo tomorrow.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
I like Taris, it's nice to play a game where you are de-powered and have to really scrap to get things done.

Never played the game, but this is an aspect of the Star Wars universe I hope to see more of. I'd like to see a series or movie focused on someone outside the Jedi/Sith universe. It'll be interesting seeing events from a "commoner's" perspective.
wangus12
AG
quote:
On the other, some of the Old Republic material seems like it was pretty badass (KOTOR especially), so it kinda blows that none of that stuff is canon anymore.

I'd probably say that even though they say its not canon, most will still accept it. I doubt they change very much about the EU, especially all the past history that has been built. Its not like they were going to reference very much of anything that occurred before the movies in a timeline sense.
The Debt
quote:
quote:

Never played the game, but this is an aspect of the Star Wars universe I hope to see more of. I'd like to see a series or movie focused on someone outside the Jedi/Sith universe. It'll be interesting seeing events from a "commoner's" perspective.

So you want star wars meets boy with striped pajamas?
redline248
AG
quote:
quote:

That's basically what the original Trilogy was. Not until Jedi did Luke start to become more powerful.
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:

I think that's why I loved the Tales from Mos Eisley Cantina and Tales from Jabba's Palace books so much. It was the stories of all of these regular people that lived in this world while the events of the movies are swirling around them.
redline248
AG
Seriously, that's like saying "I wonder what Joe New Yorker was doing when the Avengers were fighting aliens."
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Seriously, that's like saying "I wonder what Joe New Yorker was doing when the Avengers were fighting aliens."

To some extent, that's what Agents of SHIELD is.

There are lots of interesting people, professions, and locations in Star Wars that have nothing to do with Jedi.

For that matter, there are other Force users besides the Jedi and Sith.

I think we will get some of that, particularly the criminal element.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Until it went off the deep end, Star Wars Galaxies let you play the common person in the SW Universe. I spent a lot of time as a merchant in the game, and a smuggler, and they were both a lot of fun, although the game ultimately had too many flaws to enjoy long-term.

I definitely see the point you're making. And Tales from the Cantina and Jabba's Palace are great examples of the Everyman in a GFFA.
Knife_Party
I think a Black Sun spinoff would be legit.
Knife_Party
Oh and Brian if you havent played KOTOR I have it and an original xbox with your name on it. I spent about 10 minutes aftet the big lot twist with my mouth open back in 2003. Best. Story. Ever.
Red Five
AG
quote:
To some extent, that's what Agents of SHIELD is.

There are lots of interesting people, professions, and locations in Star Wars that have nothing to do with Jedi.

For that matter, there are other Force users besides the Jedi and Sith.

I think we will get some of that, particularly the criminal element.

X-WING
The Debt
I wouldnt mind them focusing on bounty hunters and crime syndicates.

One thing you guys gotta realize is that Disney cares more about merchandising than George Lucas does. I dont remember the specifics but Cars I grossed like ~$250M and they made ~$800M on merchandising. So any SW film is gonna be jam packed with "Ewoks", characters they can make into figures and sell tons of em.

[This message has been edited by The Debt (edited 8/20/2014 11:46a).]
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
I wouldnt mind them focusing on bounty hunters and crime syndicates.

One thing you guys gotta realize is that Disney cares more about merchandising than George Lucas does. I dont remember the specifics but Cars I grossed like ~$250M and they made ~$800M on merchandising. So any SW film is gonna be jam packed with "Ewoks", characters they can make into figures and sell tons of em.

[This message has been edited by The Debt (edited 8/20/2014 11:46a).]

Marvel hasn't been like that, really. It's more a case of the heroes having a new costume/uniform each time, which I like.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
What loser kids want to buy Ewoks instead of Han and Luke?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Oh and Brian if you havent played KOTOR I have it and an original xbox with your name on it. I spent about 10 minutes aftet the big lot twist with my mouth open back in 2003. Best. Story. Ever.

If you're willing to ship it to NY I'll gladly take it off your hands. Split the shipping?

[This message has been edited by Brian Earl Spilner (edited 8/20/2014 12:26p).]
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:

While I don't entirely disagree, Disney has shown that they're committed to putting out quality movies. If you get asses in seats, you will sell more toys. It's a case of "If you build it, they will come."

The Marvel Cinematic Universe has caused a spike in Marvel toy sales I'm sure, and I'm sure that was one of their goals, but it hasn't affected the quality of their movies.

I'm not too worried.
Bruce Almighty
AG
One thing Disney doesn't want to do is to piss off the most loyal fanbase of any franchise in the world. They care about toys but they also care about kids becoming fans for life.
The Debt
quote:
What loser kids want to buy Ewoks instead of Han and Luke?
Thats why I used the quotations "ewoks".
mid90
AG
quote:
^ Yes, Rebels is basically just another peek into the Star Wars universe, but it's slightly more than that. It will also be the first content to be part of the new canon established by Disney. Not only that, but there's apparently a flashback in Episode VII - to events sometime just before A New Hope - that Rebels is either leading to, or will tangentially cover. So... it's kind of connected to the new movie, but not really, though still a big part of a newly-established canon that will see much more coherence overall between mediums/platforms/stories than under the old regime at Fox.

Thanks TCTTS
TCTTS
AG
Devin Faraci @devincf
I am hearing a lot of weird EPISODE VII stuff. Either I'm getting bad info or this is gonna be one surprising movie.

Devin Faraci @devincf
STAR WARS fans with preconceived notions of what EPISODE VII should be will be disappointed. Lapsed fans like me... this could bring us back
AliasMan02
AG
Smoke monster!

But seriously, sounds like JJ/Disney don't feel bound by the tropes of the first two trilogies.
Knife_Party
Ive said it before and I'll say it again. I fully expect an awesome entertaining movie that may or may not get good reviews or be something fanboys like. As long as its Star Wars and its entertaining I couldn't care less what the story is.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm sure they're going off in a new direction that may not be what the fans expect, but I just hope they're true to the spirit of the original trilogy.

By that I mean, keep it light and funny. You can go as dark as you want with the plot (as ESB did), but you have to keep some comedy in there as well. The OT balanced this perfectly, and I think it was one of the most significat things missing from the prequels. (Jar Jar was slapstick comedy, which didn't really fit the saga IMO.)

Having Han Solo in there will certainly help.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Maybe. Harrison Ford has turned into a crotchety old man.
TCTTS
AG
Devin Faraci @devincf
It's interesting that people have come to accept Daisy Ridley is Han & Leia's daughter as fact.

Devin Faraci @devincf
BTW: elements of EP7 will be similar to EU stuff because a) EU mined every possible trope and b) LFL owns all those concepts.

Devin Faraci @devincf
LFL will happily dive in and pick out concepts, designs and even characters from the EU whenever they like.

Devin Faraci @devincf
To think that all of this intellectual property is now being discarded just because the EU isn't canon is foolish.

Devin Faraci @devincf
Cherry picking good ideas, worlds, characters, etc from the EU will make the new STAR WARS films & EU stronger and better.

Devin Faraci @devincf
And just because you and 10,000 other people read a STAR WARS book doesn't mean the MILLIONS who will see the new movies are familiar with it

Devin Faraci @devincf
Finally: STAR WARS is in the strongest place, narratively, that it has been since 1983. I doubted, but I was wrong. They're doing it right.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
here comes the grand admiral thrawn fan club
redline248
AG
I was thinking more the NJO Anakin Solo fan club.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's a great time to be a Star Wars fan.
TajMaballer
AG
quote:
It's a great time to be a Star Wars fan.

I've tried to avoid this thread, but I can't help myself. I'm too eager for every update!
First Page Last Page
Page 58 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.