Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,533 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 51 min ago by TCTTS
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
i'd much rather see characters like mara jade and talon karrde than solo jedi offspring, honestly.
Red Five
AG
quote:
here comes the grand admiral thrawn fan club
reporting for duty
Ulrich
This movie has me both excited and worried. It could be the greatest entertainment event of my lifetime... or my greatest entertainment-related disappointment.
Bruce Almighty
AG
And that's the problem. This movie may be more ripped apart than the prequels. Fanboys want this movie to be great so bad, that if JJ makes a very good movie and not an amazing movie, people are going to be disappointed. For better or worse, this will end up being his legacy.

[This message has been edited by MarkoRamius (edited 8/22/2014 6:05a).]
80s Guy
quote:
quote:
reporting for duty

No kidding. I must have read that series 20 times and have always thought it would make for a great new movie trilogy or more.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
quote:

Will be funny if they throw him in there or name drop him as a surprise and 1/4 of the theater goes nuts as the rest wonder what the big deal is.
MGS
They should have some ewok named Thrawn just to troll the fans.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Ewok named Thrawn who's best buddies with a Gungan named Mara.

Having the Chiss species show up would be more Abrams' style, I think. I always loved him throwing in the reference to "Admiral Archer's prize beagle" in the first new Star Trek movie.
Ulrich
I don't even care if it's the greatest movie ever or follows any EU at all as long as it is solid, true to the spirit of the OT, and avoids breaking any of the major rules of the universe.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
^ Pretty much this. That, along with a [sure to be fantastic] soundtrack by John Williams will be enough for me.

Just seeing a brand new Star Wars movie in the theater, seeing Luke, Han, and Leia, and hearing John Williams blasting from the sound system, will have me giddy.
TCTTS
AG
This is awesome. Devin wrote an article today basically expanding on those tweets I posted, and it's a super-hopeful look at Lucasfilm's approach this go around, along with a few hints at the overarching plot (nothing spoilerish, but the bit about Luke definitely has me intrigued). Seriously, this is a great, quick read that'll get everyone even more excited...

http://badassdigest.com/2014/08/21/how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-star-wars-again/

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 8/22/2014 11:04a).]
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's that "longform vision" they're talking about that has me excited. Everything will be part of a singular story or connected in one way for another, even the spinoffs.

With what they've done with Marvel, I have nothing but hope. Pun intended.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, Rian Johnson, writer/director of Episode VIII (who is also friends with Devin), just replied to Devin's tweet with this...

Devin Faraci ‏@devincf
How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love STAR WARS Again http://badassdigest.com/2014/08/21/how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-star-wars-again/ … published late last night!

Rian Johnson ‏@rianjohnson
@devincf https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX5tfRdkoY0

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 8/22/2014 12:10p).]
AggieBQ03
AG
I'll be honest, when I watch the originals now I think "damn I thought this was a better movie" and then remember I was only 7 or so when we startes watching them every thanksgiving on When they came on TV.

I'll just enjoy another Star Wars film for what it is. A (hopefully) good and kinda funny sci-fi flick with unique plot points. If it turns out to fit that mold I'll be happy.
Karrde
AG
quote:
i'd much rather see characters like mara jade and talon karrde than solo jedi offspring, honestly.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Oddly, when TC posted his article I was in the middle of reading of this one, very similarly named.

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/lifestyle/entertainment/film/how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-watched-star-wars-1.511528

[This message has been edited by Brian Earl Spilner (edited 8/22/2014 12:28p).]
TCTTS
AG
Ha, nice.
TCTTS
AG
Slash Film follow-up...

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-long-form-interconnected-storytelling/
Saxsoon
AG
Wow, the CGI seriously does not hold up well. These have to have been some of the most CGI intensive films out at its time, but in the process it makes it a lot harder to watch nowadays. Also the acting of everyone outside Ewan McGregor and Ian McDiarmid is really rough. The CGI characters while looking like ****, also fall under pretty decently acted (outside of Jar Jar, though I don't mind him)
Saxsoon
AG
Though I do love Yoda sweeping in with the clones in Episode 2 and the Federation space station run in Episode 1 (including pod race).

Also the lightsaber fights are outstanding.
Saxsoon
AG
It does amaze me how far CGI has come though
TCTTS
AG
Ugh. I've been on board with nearly every bit of news so far, but this definitely feels like too much of a retread. Palpatine needs to remain in the past. We've heard this before, but I'd say it's basically a done deal now if Latino Review is reporting it in this fashion...

http://www.latino-review.com/news/exclusive-guess-who-else-is-back-in-star-wars-episode-vii-and-viii
Knife_Party
The only way him coming back makes sense, imo, is if he's a clone. In the EU he has clones of himself that are automatically activated if he dies. He absolutely died falling down that shaft on the death star. The EU describes the purple light/explosion afterwards as a darkside explosion that occurs when powerful dark side force users die. Thats clearly what lucas intended. Why else have an explosion colored the same as force lightining after he falls down the shaft?

Wow. That's probably the nerdiest argument I've made in years. ******* Star Wars.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
if they are having vader/leia flashbacks, a vader/palpy one would be just as plausible. I would be stunned if he was in more than just a flashback.
TCTTS
AG
Badass Digest with further conformation/possible details. Definitely sounds as if he's in more than just a flashback...

http://badassdigest.com/2014/08/23/rumor-a-bad-guy-is-coming-back-for-episode-vii/
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just because he's in it doesn't necessarily mean he's the big bad of the new trilogy.

It could be a short force ghost cameo.
TXAG 05
AG
Maybe more flashbacks?
Knife_Party
quote:
Just because he's in it doesn't necessarily mean he's the big bad of the new trilogy.

It could be a short force ghost cameo.

I could be down with that. Maybe the big bad is consulting palpatine. Or, maybe they messed up interpreting the leak. It could be that theres a NEW emperor at some point during the new trilogy rather than the return of the old one.
TXAG 05
AG
I think a new emperor makes sense. After the deaths of the palpatine, vader, and the second Death Star, there is going to be a lot of confusion and the empire realistically isn't going to just go away. Someone (another Sith?) could easily stand in and take the place of the old emperor, even pretending to be him. How is the common empire citizen to know that he is dead? Luke is the only one alive who actually saw Palpatine fall down that shaft, and apparently he has been hiding/captured since right after it happened.

[This message has been edited by Cstrickland05 (edited 8/23/2014 6:46p).]
redline248
AG
If Palpatine is back in any fashion other than a Sith holocron I will be disappointed.
Ganondorf
AG
Concur. He had 6 movies already.
redline248
AG
That, and the cloning bit from those old comics is dumb and Sith don't become force ghosts.
Knife_Party
quote:
That, and the cloning bit from those old comics is dumb and Sith don't become force ghosts.

Well...that second part isn't entirely accurate according to a large part of the EU. I think I remember some dark side ghost-like entities in the Clone Wars cartoons as well.

[This message has been edited by Boneyendoplasm (edited 8/23/2014 8:06p).]
redline248
AG
Only one I know in EU is Exar Kun and he wasn't a ghost, in the clone wars the final episodes dealt with Yoda learning how it was possible. It was previously unknown to either party.
Knife_Party
Lots of force ghosts in EU. KOTOR, TOR, KOTOR2, are all full of them off the top of my head. Its been 15 years or more since I've read any books or comics and I haven't read pretty much any that came out in the last 15 year. Someone else will need to chime in about the novels.
First Page Last Page
Page 59 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.