Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,595 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by TCTTS
Atreides Ornithopter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So which one of these does Mark check off ( from the academy thread)

1) Make a movie about how important filmmaking is or how difficult life as a filmmaker is (Birdman, Argo, The Artist) ( Luke having to direct Rey in learning the force )
2) Have your main character be afflicted by as many of the following as possible:
-gay
-transgender
-black
-mentally or physically disabled ( Check. stupid hand)
(also a surefire way to win best actor)
3) Find an evil white southern person to play the villain ( well the villians are evil with white suits )
4) Make the movie as politically charged as possible b/c there is nothing braver than boldly standing by what you believe in a room full of people who agree with you... hmmm, throw in some ranting about the evil empire BOOM
israeliag
AG
To be fair, he deserves an Oscar for all the feels I got from this scene alone:
Ag Since 83
AG
Brennus said:

So which one of these does Mark check off ( from the academy thread)

1) Make a movie about how important filmmaking is or how difficult life as a filmmaker is (Birdman, Argo, The Artist) ( Luke having to direct Rey in learning the force )
2) Have your main character be afflicted by as many of the following as possible:
-gay
-transgender
-black
3) Find an evil white southern person to play the villain ( well the villians are evil with white suits )
4) Make the movie as politically charged as possible b/c there is nothing braver than boldly standing by what you believe in a room full of people who agree with you... hmmm, throw in some ranting about the evil empire BOOM

You mentioned the hand, but don't forget the mental torment of knowing for years he's in love with his sister

Plus his best buddy/bro-in-law died
israeliag
AG
And he never knew his real parents (of who, one died in childbirth, the other is a tormented soul that betrayed his own).

Come to think of it, how many people that he knew closely died violent deaths?
Flashdiaz
AG
israeliag said:

And he never knew his real parents (of who, one died in childbirth, the other is a tormented soul that betrayed his own).

Yoda wasn't violent, it was downright pleasant.
israeliag
AG
Flashdiaz said:

israeliag said:

Yoda wasn't violent, it was downright pleasant.
HIS BODY DISINTEGRATED!!!!!!! But yeah, was his the only pleasant one? Aunt Berru and Uncle Owen, Han, Obi Wan, Biggs, his pupils, countless other rogue pilots, his effing tauntaun. Might want to steer clear of Luke.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Brennus said:

-gay
-transgender
-black

For mental stuff, the psychological effects from the betrayal by Ben I'm sure would be weighing on him as well as the loss of his students. To a certain extent I can almost see Luke telling Rey to forget it and live on rather than ask herself years later why she survived when those around her didn't, in essence survivors guilt. Having him recover from that through the movie, with Rey somehow inspiring him to change as the catalyst.

I highly doubt that will happen though.
redline248
AG
I mentioned this before in this thread, but Luke really is a failure. Sure he blew up a Death Star, and resisted the dark side in front of the Emperor...but Vader is the one who actually killed him. And after that? LOL, still no more Jedi than before.
Flashdiaz
AG
redline248 said:

I mentioned this before in this thread, but Luke really is a failure. Sure he blew up a Death Star, and resisted the dark side in front of the Emperor...but Vader is the one who actually killed him. And after that? LOL, still no more Jedi than before.
he successfully tapped into his darkside enough to defeat Vader and then rejected the dark side. He was then a distraction for Vader to pick up the emperor and toss him.

after that, he had no one to teach him that we know of. Hopefully The Last Jedi will explain what he's been doing with himself over the last 30 years.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I guarantee you we will find out what happened in that time from RotJ to TLJ.
tamusc
AG
Flashdiaz said:

redline248 said:

he successfully tapped into his darkside enough to defeat Vader and then rejected the dark side. He was then a distraction for Vader to pick up the emperor and toss him.

after that, he had no one to teach him that we know of. Hopefully The Last Jedi will explain what he's been doing with himself over the last 30 years.
My personal guess is that after his Jedi Academy was attacked/destroyed when Ben became Kylo, Luke decided that he didn't know **** about the Force and the Jedi after all. So after that epiphany, he decided to get back to basics and find every scrap of information he could about the beginning of the Jedi and the Force in general in order to build from the ground up rather than building on what relatively little he was able to learn during the timeline of the original trilogy.

Not really a huge reach, I know
redline248
AG
tamusc said:

Flashdiaz said:

redline248 said:

My personal guess is that after his Jedi Academy was attacked/destroyed when Ben became Kylo, Luke decided that he didn't know **** about the Force and the Jedi after all. So after that epiphany, he decided to get back to basics and find every scrap of information he could about the beginning of the Jedi and the Force in general in order to build from the ground up rather than building on what relatively little he was able to learn during the timeline of the original trilogy.

One might assume he did some of that in the years after Return of the Jedi...but yes the idea of him looking for the first Jedi temple is one of 2 (probable) things. He really was saying "fck it" and going full on hermit, or he was looking for a fresh start to again battle the dark side.
redline248
AG
For a separate discussion, I'm curious what has changed for Luke in terms of canon since Disney bought Star Wars. For example, in Shadows of the Empire, which is no longer canon, we see how Luke built his new lightsaber. Has anything in the new canon discussed that yet? Anything else that would explain things in the scope of the original trilogy?
AliasMan02
AG
tamusc said:

Flashdiaz said:

redline248 said:

One thing we know from the latest Aftermath is that shortly after Endor, Luke left and began searching the galaxy for Jedi knowledge. He's still at it at least a year later.
AliasMan02
AG
redline248 said:

For a separate discussion, I'm curious what has changed for Luke in terms of canon since Disney bought Star Wars. For example, in Shadows of the Empire, which is no longer canon, we see how Luke built his new lightsaber. Has anything in the new canon discussed that yet? Anything else that would explain things in the scope of the original trilogy?
We have Heir to the Jedi and Weapon of a Jedi, which take place between ANH and ESB, in which Luke figures some things out about the Force and lightsabers in particular. In that same timeframe in the Star Wars comic, Luke finds Ben's journal that contains a lot of instruction for him.

There's really only a few months between Empire and Jedi, so it's not much of a chance for Luke to go on a quest while working with Leia to formulate the plan to recover Han.
Farmer1906
AG
AliasMan02 said:

tamusc said:

Flashdiaz said:

redline248 said:

One thing we know from the latest Aftermath is that shortly after Endor, Luke left and began searching the galaxy for Jedi knowledge. He's still at it at least a year later.

I just finished it. I like how they wrapped everything up. Only a few mentions of Luke in Aftermath & Bloodline. He's always out in the unknown.
AliasMan02
AG
I'm about 10 chapters in. It's amazing how much I've come around on Chuck as an author by listening instead of reading. He paints a hell of a picture. Neema's "followers" were vividly creepy.
Farmer1906
AG
AliasMan02 said:

I'm about 10 chapters in. It's amazing how much I've come around on Chuck as an author by listening instead of reading. He paints a hell of a picture. Neema's "followers" were vividly creepy.

Absolutely loved all 3 of the aftermath on audible.
tamusc
AG
aggie1906 said:

AliasMan02 said:

Absolutely loved all 3 of the aftermath on audible.
Halfway through Empire's End myself and feel the same. Didn't make it a third of the way through the first one when I tried to read them, but the Audible versions are excellent. Basically an old school radio drama with music, sound effects and everything!
redline248
AG
So which of these new canon novels should I read first? Aftermath and go into those 3? Or something like Lords of the Sith or Heir to the Jedi?

Also, when it comes to Ashoka being described as "young adult," does that mean it's teeny-bopper crap?
tamusc
AG
redline248 said:

So which of these new canon novels should I read first? Aftermath and go into those 3? Or something like Lords of the Sith or Heir to the Jedi?

Also, when it comes to Ashoka being described as "young adult," does that mean it's teeny-bopper crap?
So far I'd say the three Aftermath novels, then Bloodlines. Those seem to fill in some of the bigger story points.
AliasMan02
AG
redline248 said:

Do Aftermath series first. They stand on their own and are worth the commitment.

If you wanted to just do a single standalone book to start, I'd recommend Tarkin. It's really good and covers a lot of interesting things about familiar characters.

Bloodline is another good choice of you're really into Episode 7.

Ahsoka is very good, especially if you're a Clone Wars/Rebels fan. It pulls some elements from unproduced scripts from TCW. It's not kiddie stuff. I'd compare it to the later Harry Potter books in terms of sophistication. Fwiw, I listened to that one on Audible and Ashley is a great narrator.
Farmer1906
AG
For me it goes (order of how I enjoyed them)
Bloodline
Aftermath Trilogy
Ahsoka
Tarkin
Lost Stars
Catalyst
Rogue One Novel
hunter2012
AG
redline248 said:

You're safe on the Ahsoka novel, it's just the reading level it's written at. Which is to say adult themes but not adult content. Think PG-13 for books.

As far as my order the best one for new fans would be Lost Stars, it takes place parallel to the original trilogy and it serves as the setting in fact. It's also my favorite new canon book.

After that Bloodlines is phenomenal and it serves as a setup for the new trilogy. If you want to see where the galaxy is at prior to episode VII, this is one for you.

Next would probably be Lords of the Sith, this really fleshes out Vader's relationship with Palpatine and Vader in his prime. Might be the best action book of new canon so far.

Ahsoka is almost required reading if you follow the shows. It directly connects Ahsoka between Clone Wars and Rebels. If you haven't seen the show or don't know who Ahsoka is the book will be much less enjoyable.

I almost forgot to mention but Twilight Company is a great war novel in Star Wars universe. The author does a great job of showing how war is conducted between the rebellion and the empire. It's a full action war book.

I've been told the Aftermath series is bad with the first book being absolutely terrible writing. As such I haven't read them, I might can be persuaded by this thread as I heard the 2nd book was a bit better. I haven't heard anything about the 3rd book.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
njohn87 said:

Just wanted to pop in here and say that all three prequels are better than The Force Awakens.

Peace.

ps Baylor did nothing wrong

And .....ignored.
The Collective
AG
Worst troll attempt I've ever seen.
tamusc
AG
hunter2012 said:

redline248 said:

You're safe on the Ahsoka novel, it's just the reading level it's written at. Which is to say adult themes but not adult content. Think PG-13 for books.

As far as my order the best one for new fans would be Lost Stars, it takes place parallel to the original trilogy and it serves as the setting in fact. It's also my favorite new canon book.

After that Bloodlines is phenomenal and it serves as a setup for the new trilogy. If you want to see where the galaxy is at prior to episode VII, this is one for you.

Next would probably be Lords of the Sith, this really fleshes out Vader's relationship with Palpatine and Vader in his prime. Might be the best action book of new canon so far.

Ahsoka is almost required reading if you follow the shows. It directly connects Ahsoka between Clone Wars and Rebels. If you haven't seen the show or don't know who Ahsoka is the book will be much less enjoyable.

I almost forgot to mention but Twilight Company is a great war novel in Star Wars universe. The author does a great job of showing how war is conducted between the rebellion and the empire. It's a full action war book.

I've been told the Aftermath series is bad with the first book being absolutely terrible writing. As such I haven't read them, I might can be persuaded by this thread as I heard the 2nd book was a bit better. I haven't heard anything about the 3rd book.

The writing style of the Aftermath trilogy is a pain to read but excellent as an audiobook on Audible.
tamusc
AG
Pretty cool look at how they rendered K2SO in real time using the Unreal 4 engine.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/1/14777806/gdc-epic-rogue-one-star-wars-k2so
fig96
AG
tamusc said:

Pretty cool look at how they rendered K2SO in real time using the Unreal 4 engine.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/1/14777806/gdc-epic-rogue-one-star-wars-k2so
A lot of y'all probably don't realize how insane this is. It's really insane.

We're actually starting to look at Unreal rendering as a possibility for my animated short film project.
AliasMan02
AG
How did a frickin battle droid become one of my favorite things in Star Wars? I love Mister Bones. So great.
tamusc
AG
AliasMan02 said:

How did a frickin battle droid become one of my favorite things in Star Wars? I love Mister Bones. So great.
"I PERFORMED VIOLENCE!"

"HELLO. I AM ENJOYING THIS HUG, TOO. HUG HUG HUG. A HUG IS LIKE VIOLENCE MADE OF LOVE."
TCTTS
AG
Omar comin'!

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/michael-kenneth-williams-han-solo-movie-1202001257/
jabberwalkie09
AG
I hope he gets a line of either "Oh indeed" or "it's all in the game".
AliasMan02
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

A man has to have a code.
Blanco Jimenez
AG
AliasMan02 said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

A man has to have a code.
Or just whistle Farmer in the Dell as he walks someplace.
First Page Last Page
Page 559 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.