Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,436 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by TCTTS
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
B wing was so effing stupid
AgMarauder04
AG
Should be seeing the E- Wing?
redline248
AG
I don't know, Y was before X, so maybe they go back to their roots and give us a Z or W-wing.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
B wing was so effing stupid

It's a bomber. Chassis spins around the cockpit. Nothing not to like.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
That B-Wing was pretty cool.

Regarding that X-Wing like fighter, it seems to me with this movie reportedly happening 30 years after Jedi, would the continued use of an X-Wing by the Alliance/New Republic be akin to the USAF still using P-40s in an active combat role in Vietnam?
benMath08
AG
If you consider the old republic stories as canon then technology in the star wars universe has basically stagnated for thousands of years. In any case there definitely isn't any sort of industrial revolution or information revolution speeding things along like we saw in 20th century earth.
redline248
AG
I mean, once you have lightsabers, warp speed and death stars...what else do you really need?
Ulrich
A goofy, over the top CGI song and dance number inserted awkwardly into an intense dungeon sequence?
AgMarauder04
AG
In the books, the E-Wing replaced the X-Wing as the standard space superiority fighter.
Red Five
AG
Not really. Despite its technical superiority it had a lot of mechanical issues when it was introduced so it wasn't well received. Even though it gained some traction near the end of the New Republic era, it never replaced the X-wing with the majority of the fleet.
Ulrich
I think a few books imply that E-wings make up the bulk of the fleet by a few years prior to the NJO. Other books disagree and they probably walked that back since the X-wing is so popular with readers.
AgMarauder04
AG
I guess I stopped reading after the Black Fleet Crisis and New Jedi Order series, which talked about E-Wings a lot.
AliasMan02
AG
This thread makes me want to go play the X-Wing tabletop miniatures wargame.
Red Five
AG
quote:
I guess I stopped reading after the Black Fleet Crisis and New Jedi Order series, which talked about E-Wings a lot.
The Black Fleet Crisis involved the Fifth Fleet, which DID adopt E-wings pretty much throughout.

I dont think it was adopted much elsewhere, but most of the rest of the books tend to focus only on Jedis or Rogue Squadron if snubfighters are mentioned at all and I dont think either of those groups have ever flown anything but X-wings. So a case could maybe be made either way. The post NJO books though seem pretty clear that the XJ X-wing is the predominant fighter, from what I can remember.
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
A goofy, over the top CGI song and dance number inserted awkwardly into an intense dungeon sequence?

What does this reference?
redline248
AG
The song/dance number added to Jabba's palace in the re-mastered version.

[This message has been edited by redline248 (edited 6/5/2014 9:39a).]
Red Five
AG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiDRgDmXGi4
ChipFTAC01
AG
Oh yeah. I think I've only seen that version of Jedi maybe once.
redline248
AG
Then you only watch Jedi on VHS
Red Five
AG
If Disney released the original cuts of episodes IV-VI on Blu Ray, how much do you think they would hypothetically make? A billion dollars, right? I'm going with a billion.
InnerCityAg
I'm hoping that leaked set is going to be a lengthy pod race scene. Maybe we can also get an update on the flying jewish guy.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Remastered > Originals

There is some bad obviously, but it doesn't outweigh the good.

The original music at the end of Jedi wasn't that great, the new version is much better. Also seeing the entire galaxy join in celebration is pretty badass.

But in general, the new ones just look better save for the occasional bad CGI.
Simplebay
AG
^ couldn't be more wrong. at least in A New Hope. I just watched it again, in Mos Eisley Lucas is literally throwing CG boolsheet on the screen in front of the original footage, weird animals and stuff that looks terrible. it was borderline offensive, i was just like i want to see the fking actors and original movie, STOP THROWING STUFF ON THE SCREEN. go watch that particular scene again

i'll agree he made a few good choices (any CG spaceship or anything non living looks good). but the bad far outweighs the good.

and lets not forget..... No....NO....NOOOO.

[This message has been edited by Simplebay (edited 6/5/2014 10:18a).]
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
Then you only watch Jedi on VHS

I bet I've only seen Jedi once or maybe twice since I moved out of the dorm in 1999 (my roommate had the old box set that had come out around 1997 or so).
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The thing is, they fix a lot of stuff that just didn't look that good originally. Mostly with establishing shots of planets, or things like the Death Star explosion, or even Darth Vader's eyes in ANH. (They have a tint of red in the original film.)

You don't notice these as much, but they're there and they make a big difference once you sit down and look at it.

The "bad" stick out more, but they don't outnumber the good.

Edit: Another big one is the lightsabers. They look MUCH better in the remastered versions.

[This message has been edited by Brian Earl Spilner (edited 6/5/2014 10:35a).]
Ulrich
quote:
If Disney released the original cuts of episodes IV-VI on Blu Ray, how much do you think they would hypothetically make? A billion dollars, right? I'm going with a billion.

I like how they remastered the films with all this cgi, but left the strange boxes around the tie fighters. Han shot first, the dance scene, Vader's new "NOOOOO", the random extra creatures on Tatooine... all terrible additions.

[This message has been edited by Ulrich (edited 6/5/2014 10:51a).]
Ulrich
http://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/roundtable-starwars-changes/
AliasMan02
AG
It's weird some of the things they didn't change in the remastered versions, though. I probably haven't seen the latest latest one, but I recall still being able to see "boxes" around fighters in some of the space battles, Darth Vader's lightsaber looking white in one scene in ANH. Just sort of inconsistent.
TXAG 05
AG
quote:
Also seeing the entire galaxy join in celebration is pretty badass

No. It isn't
TCTTS
AG
Hamill, in a recent promotional pic taken within the last couple of days, for a Star Wars Weekends event at Disney World this coming weekend. He looks to be in great shape, and obviously has the beard going. Now that the crew has finished shooting in Abu Dhabi (which only included two of the younger leads), Hamill, Ford, and Fisher should start filming in London any day now...

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 6/5/2014 12:25p).]
Simplebay
AG
very happy to see he's looking decent, should be film worthy. there were some pics of him out there last year that were scary
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Looks like a Jedi.
MGS
quote:
or things like the Death Star explosion,

I hate the "ring" they added to the explosions. It doesn't make any sense.
slickag2007
AG
In regards to the x-wing looking picture, in the expanded universe novels they still use x-wings. There are different models for different purposes. There is a model called the XJ which is for jedi use. It doesn't have any torpedo propulsion and is a stealth fighter. It requires use of the force to guide proton torpedos to the target.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
In regards to the x-wing looking picture, in the expanded universe novels they still use x-wings. There are different models for different purposes. There is a model called the XJ which is for jedi use. It doesn't have any torpedo propulsion and is a stealth fighter. It requires use of the force to guide proton torpedos to the target.

That's the sort of thing in the EU that drives me crazy. Force use for the sake of Force use.
First Page Last Page
Page 39 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.