Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,096 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by TCTTS
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I wonder how much is being leaked against JJs knowledge versus "strategically" leaking information in order to generate even more hype. b/c lets be honest, nearly every fanboy out there just wet himself over these pics. much of the hand wringing over casting/story/etc just lightened up a bit with the leak of those photos.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I wouldn't be surprised if they approved those leaks.

Let's be honest, he said they were shooting in Abu Dabi, which can only mean Tatooine, so no surprise there - and he released a video from there with a marketplace and showed us an alien. Seeing a giant creature and a bunch of people in robes isn't exactly giving away the plot.

As for the Falcon, did anyone think Han and Chewie would be in a movie, and the Falcon wouldn't be?
COOL LASER FALCON
Thsis doesn't seem like the type of stuff that would be strategically leaked to me. I would guess that TMZ just got a hold of a couple of crew members and told them they would pay ridiculous amounts of money for set pictures.

As long as nothing major like a character's death or the Millennium Falcon getting blown up gets spoiled, it doesn't really bother me, but I'm guessing JJ is not happy. What can he do about it, though? Take away all cell phones?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Muck, your services are needed in the Basketball Other board.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Take away all cell phones?

Why not? Tarantino does it.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
quote:
Thsis doesn't seem like the type of stuff that would be strategically leaked to me. I would guess that TMZ just got a hold of a couple of crew members and told them they would pay ridiculous amounts of money for set pictures.

As long as nothing major like a character's death or the Millennium Falcon getting blown up gets spoiled, it doesn't really bother me, but I'm guessing JJ is not happy. What can he do about it, though? Take away all cell phones?

Their "inconsequence" is exactly why i think it was an approved, strategic, leak. No producer/director in their right mind would approve legitimate or spoiler-type of information. However, to appease fanboys and other fans that were adverse to the overly-CGI prequels and updates to the first films, these kinds of photos go a long to to show they are "going back to the roots" of the first films.

at least in my opinion.
COOL LASER FALCON
I don't know, I remember TCTTS picking apart the set pics from Dark Knight Rises and figuring out that Marion Cotillard had just betrayed batman and I think those were straight up released by the studio.

Edit: Just double checked and those pictures weren't actually released by the studio.

[This message has been edited by COOL LASER FALCON (edited 6/3/2014 9:21a).]
COOL LASER FALCON
So I agree that they're fairly inconsequential to me, but I wouldn't be surprised if people could look at these or something not much more significant than these and figure out who's a Jedi, who's good, who's bad, etc.
fig96
AG
If there's anyone I trust with the idea of keeping things under wraps and not spoiling too much, it's Abrams. Guy loves to keep people guessing.
TCTTS
AG
Studios leak pics/stories/reviews to sites all the time, but not to TMZ. This isn't a studio leak, trust me. Especially with JJ calling the shots.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
If Abrams finds the culprit, I think he has him fired, tortured, and executed.
Simplebay
AG
judging from the fact there's people posing for the pics in the first set of leaked ones, etc, i think it's safe to say this person has already been found.
LeonardSkinner
Looking at the TMZ pictures... What did they do to the X-wing? Nose is short, engines are different.
Simplebay
AG
abrams response. obviously he's pissed

TCTTS
AG
redline248
AG
Next leaked photos will be Yoda drinking a slush-o
TCTTS
AG
Wow, another director just announced for yet another spin-off film... Josh Trank, director of Chronicle and the upcoming Fantastic four reboot...

http://www.slashfilm.com/josh-trank-star-wars-director/

With that, here's what we're looking at as of now:

- December 2015: Star Wars Episode VII (directed by J.J. Abrams)
- December 2016: Untitled Star Wars Stand-Alone Movie (directed by Gareth Edwards)
- 2017: Star Wars Episode VIII (unknown director)
- 2018: Untitled Star Wars Stand-Alone Movie (directed by Josh Trank)
- 2019: Star Wars Episode IX (unknown director)
- 2020: Untitled Star Wars Stand-Alone Movie (unknown director)
zgood10
Simplebay
AG
you really think episodes VIII and IX won't be directed by Abrams?

he ain't gonna let his dream project go. we've hardly seen anything from him directly, and can already tell he's loving the hell outta this
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Next leaked photo will be Greedo and IG88 wearing Dharma Initiative jump suits.
AliasMan02
AG
Joss will do the one on 2020
TCTTS
AG
quote:
you really think episodes VIII and IX won't be directed by Abrams?

he ain't gonna let his dream project go. we've hardly seen anything from him directly, and can already tell he's loving the hell outta this

At first, almost everyone, including myself, assumed he'd move on after Episode VII, but remain in an executive producer/story-by/Godfather role or whatever after that. In fact, there have been multiple reports that new directors would take on Episodes VIII and IX, simply because there's almost no way a single director can meet those every-two-year deadlines. Episode VII comes out December 2015, and he'd have to be FILMING Episode VIII five months later in May 2016 to make a December 2017 release. That's basically unheard of, unless they somehow how find a way to have the script for Episode VIII completely finished by the time Episode VII hits theaters. Even then, he wouldn't get a break between movies, because pre-production would have to begin immediately, and could easily risk getting burnt out.

That said, it is odd that they "skipped" the announcement for a 2017/Episode VIII director and went straight to announcing a director for 2018 instead. Yeah, Abrams could have totally fallen in love with the process and wants to see these through. But again, they'd have to move mountains for him to meet those deadlines, and I just don't know if that's possible.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 6/4/2014 12:45p).]
AliasMan02
AG
Couldn't a lot of the early work be done by an accomplished 2nd unit director?

[This message has been edited by Aliasman02 (edited 6/4/2014 12:39p).]
TCTTS
AG
^ Production work, absolutely. It's getting the script ready and cast in time that's the big issue. Hopefully, if J.J. stays, he can be working on the script while doing post on Episode VII. It'd be a lot to juggle, but it's possible. And most of the movie would obviously be cast already.
Ulrich
What if they write/shoot 8 and 9 at once the way they did LOTR? This is a trilogy, and probably a pretty tightly linked one, not three separate movies with different casts, plots, "looks", themes, etc.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I hate that they're sticking to a hard, every 2 year release schedule for Eps VII-IX. I wish they'd just keep the same team on all three and maybe move to a 3 year release schedule just like Lucas was on.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
What if they write/shoot 8 and 9 at once the way they did LOTR? This is a trilogy, and probably a pretty tightly linked one, not three separate movies with different casts, plots, "looks", themes, etc.

That's technically doable, but it's all a matter of Abrams having the time. Granted, they probably have a way better idea of where the next two stories are going, compared to basically starting Episode VII from scratch, but still. Knocking out TWO scripts while doing intense post-production on Episode VII is potential suicide. It's not impossible, but it would be a monumental task, and the movies might suffer for it.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 6/4/2014 12:59p).]
TCTTS
AG
quote:
I hate that they're sticking to a hard, every 2 year release schedule for Eps VII-IX. I wish they'd just keep the same team on all three and maybe move to a 3 year release schedule just like Lucas was on.

Agreed 100%. But Marvel set the pace with a movie every single year, and now everyone is trying to emulate that. If the saga movies came out every three years, that would mean two spin-off movies in between each one, and they might just not currently have enough spin-off movies ready to fill that space.
benMath08
AG
Star Wars every year
Multiple good comic book movies every year

I wonder how long they can keep up the pace (and quality) but I'm definitely along for the ride
Mac94
AG
aggie kid -

Looks like this from the original film artwork:

wonder how much they're going to pull from some of the pre original film art work.
TXAG 05
AG
quote:
Looking at the TMZ pictures... What did they do to the X-wing? Nose is short, engines are different

I would think that they would have made some upgrades to their fighters in the past 30 years.
Rudyjax
AG
They need to get Kevin Smith to write a Star Wars comedy.
maca1028
quote:
They need to get Kevin Smith to write a Star Wars comedy.

Return of the Redeye
AliasMan02
AG
He could write a good one-off dark adventure movie, I think. His stuff on Green Arrow (and Daredevil to a lesser extent) was awesome.
Red Five
AG
quote:
I would think that they would have made some upgrades to their fighters in the past 30 years.
Incom was continually having to advance the X-wing design because other manufacturers kept trying to supplant them as the main starfighter of the Alliance/New Republic. By the Battle of Endor the A-wing and B-wing had both been introduced and were technically superior to the X-wing.

The X-wing still held on because of its reputation as the "Death Star Killer" and the best pilots in the New Republic (Rogue Squadron, formerly Red Squadron whom Luke flew with at Yavin as Red Five) preferred the combination of firepower, maneuverability, and durability of the X-wing. But they had to make several redesigns to the chassis to keep up with technological advancements, so it makes sense that a X-wing in Ep VII would look different than a 30 year old model.
First Page Last Page
Page 38 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.