Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,732 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That's rough, man. As long as you pass it before the 17th.
The Collective
AG
Only reason I brought it up here... all I could think about was the hilarity of this building to a crescendo on the 17th. I called my wife to tell her, and her first question was, are you going to be able to survive Star Wars?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
"As someone who really hasn't been the most vocal advocate of 3D, the strangest thing happened to me on this," Abrams told The Associated Press. "When I was watching the reels in 3D, there were a number of shots -- and I know this sounds insane -- that I hadn't understood in the three-dimensional space quite the way I did when I saw them in 3D. I actually felt that there were things that were playing better in 3D. I had never felt that before. And if people have access to a theater that has laser projection, it is shockingly better."
Hopefully that makes some of you anti-3D crowd a bit more excited.

Still pretty bummed that the theater I'm going to is getting the laser projector installed in January. Sigh.
Furlock Bones
AG
quote:
quote:
"As someone who really hasn't been the most vocal advocate of 3D, the strangest thing happened to me on this," Abrams told The Associated Press. "When I was watching the reels in 3D, there were a number of shots and I know this sounds insane that I hadn't understood in the three-dimensional space quite the way I did when I saw them in 3D. I actually felt that there were things that were playing better in 3D. I had never felt that before. And if people have access to a theater that has laser projection, it is shockingly better."
Hopefully that makes some of you anti-3D crowd a bit more excited.

Still pretty bummed that the theater I'm going to is getting the laser projector installed in January. Sigh.
3d blows goats.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Not when it's done right.
TCTTS
AG
I couldn't not see this in a big theater. But with that comes 3D, which I can't stand. I'm really, really nervous. That quote helps a bit, though.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Question - Did you watch Avatar in 3D? If so, did you not like how that looked?
TCTTS
AG
I don't care how right it's done. Wearing those big ass glasses in a movie theater is the absolute worst. They're always smudged or fog up slightly. I just can't ever forget that I'm wearing them.
TCTTS
AG
Yes, Avatar looked pretty damn cool in 3D. I'll give you that. But it wasn't worth having to wear the glasses.
The Collective
AG
So, if I am translating JJ correctly:

Bring me even more of your monies...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Glasses can be annoying, I'll give you that, but when it looks that good, I think you lose quite a bit if you don't watch it in 3D. Hopefully this is the case with TFA.

I'l admit there have been movies that have looked absolutely terrible. (Clash of the Titans comes to mind.) But I just can't imagine Disney/Lucasfilm not getting this movie to look amazing.
TCTTS
AG
Agreed. Surely they've taken every precaution to ensure that this is one of the best conversions ever. I really wish I was able to see it on a laser projection, though. Unfortunately, those tickets sold out instantaneously. Got the second best thing, which is the Dome at The ArcLight...

MandoArms
quote:
I don't care how right it's done. Wearing those big ass glasses in a movie theater is the absolute worst. They're always smudged or fog up slightly. I just can't ever forget that I'm wearing them.
First world problems....
agmag90
Trailer I hadn't seen before with new footage:

Edit: Dont let the thumbnail pic or first 5 seconds fool you. It really is a trailer not trolling. lol
AgMarauder04
AG
Bro.
TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Looks awesome. Little jealous. Here's where I'll be.

TCTTS
AG
That's almost identical to what used be the best IMAX theater here in LA, which changed ownership a couple years ago. They got rid of the IMAX and deemed it a "large screen" theater and it's terrible now. The Chinese Theater then did a complete remodel and installed IMAX, recently upgraded to laser projection, and it's easily the best screen in town. That said, The ArcLight is hands down the most popular overall theater, and it should be an awesome crowd. Guaranteed to have a few celebs in the audience, too.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
When the second Hobbit came out, there was two IMAX theaters in NYC that I could choose from. I chose the one that had 48fps. The other one was Lincoln Square, the one I posted above. Ian McKellen showed up at that theater.

If anyone from the movie shows up to this I'll probably **** myself.
TCTTS
AG
That's awesome.

And yeah, I'm worried that if any cast shows up it'll be at The Chinese. That said, I've seen plenty of cast show up at The ArcLight too. Either way, I guarantee you a few of them show up in either NY or LA opening night. Ha, between the two of us, we should have it covered.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just remembered JJ and everyone in the main cast is doing Conan on the 17th. So lucky you. They'll all be in LA.
TCTTS
AG
Damn it. Conan is on the WB lot, which is in Burbank. The Universal City Walk IMAX is right next door. I could definitely see them going there. I'm not seeing it 'til 10:30 PM, though, so hopefully they make a stop by The ArclIght later that night. Now you've got me all excited!
TCTTS
AG
For those unaware, that's a regular thing in LA. Especially for Q&A's. Both Friday and Saturday night of opening weekend, members of the cast, or the writer/director, will hit the 7 PM show in one part of town, then bolt for the 10 PM show in another. They try to make appearances at as many theaters as they can over the weekend. I seriously doubt the SW cast goes to that extreme, but I could absolutely see them hitting a few theaters after Conan on opening night.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG

quote:
I'l admit there have been movies that have looked absolutely terrible. (Clash of the Titans comes to mind.)

The problem there might have been that it was just a terrible movie.

I've yet to see any 3D movie that I thought the 3D improved things.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Not to sound like a broken record, but Avatar. Saw it in both formats. The 3D was absolutely an improvement. (Granted it was filmed in 3D, so it's not quite the same.)

And yes, Clash of the Titans was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Legitimately the closest I've ever come to walking out of the theater.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
Agreed. Surely they've taken every precaution to ensure that this is one of the best conversions ever. I really wish I was able to see it on a laser projection, though. Unfortunately, those tickets sold out instantaneously. Got the second best thing, which is the Dome at The ArcLight...

Damn that is badass
Flashdiaz
AG
quote:
Not to sound like a broken record, but Avatar. Saw it in both formats. The 3D was absolutely an improvement. (Granted it was filmed in 3D, so it's not quite the same.)

And yes, Clash of the Titans was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Legitimately the closest I've ever come to walking out of the theater.
have there been other movies filmed in 3D?

I've always just felt the conversion process lacked something which is why 3D never looked as good as avatar.

I personally don't like the shots that pander to 3D so it pops out at the audience.... looks like that's what is going on with Kylo putting his sword over Rey and towards the audience.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Dammit I need the laugh/cry face.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Avatar and Tron Legacy are the two examples that stand out to me in regards to films I saw in 3s that were worth it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Good call on Tron. That looked sick.
Flashdiaz
AG
quote:

Dammit I need the laugh/cry face.
or maybe:

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
COOL LASER FALCON
Even on good 3D, the foreground looks good, but the background still looks flat. It looks like a better version of that smoothing effect that makes things look like a Soap Opera. I hate it.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
quote:

Damn that is badass

Yeah, it's pretty awesome. A few more pics...

(I'm sure many of you will recognize it from the Entourage opening credits, at the bottom.)

First Page Last Page
Page 302 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.