Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,633 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by TCTTS
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
In Dark Force Rising, the Empire trumps up a fake Falcon as the Noghri attempt to kidnap a pregnant Princess Leia in order to deliver her unborn twins to the insane Jedi Master Joruus C'Baoth. It's Han who actuall notices it first (he's on the ground, pinned down in a battle) because 'Chewie' doesn't fire the dorsal guns to give them cover to get up the ramp. Leia then uses the Force and can't find his presence onboard.

To get away, they run towards the hatch as if they're going up it, but Han changes direction and uses Leia's lightsaber to trigger the escape pods or something to that effect, temporarily disrupting the ship so they can get away.

That'll be my contribution for Day 98

Lucasfilm has flipped the canon on this, I believe. Some of the new stuff seems to indicate the YT-1300 is fairly common. Obviously the Falcon has a lot that makes it unique.
Ulrich
quote:
quote:
quote:
There were plenty of YT-1300s (at least, there were 20-30 years prior to ANH), but only one Millennium Falcon.

In one of the Zahn books didn't someone dredge up a YT-1300 to pose as the MF?
One of the x wing series, I think. May have been wraith squadron instead of rogue, though.
In addition to the story Muckraker mentioned, Wraith squadron flew several starfighters very close together with an irregular shield modulation intended to mimic a damaged Falcon. They also used a vocoder to speak over open channels in Han and Leia's voices. The goal was to create a decoy and draw a Star Destroyer away from a secret base to give them time to escape.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
There were plenty of YT-1300s (at least, there were 20-30 years prior to ANH), but only one Millennium Falcon.

In one of the Zahn books didn't someone dredge up a YT-1300 to pose as the MF?
One of the x wing series, I think. May have been wraith squadron instead of rogue, though.
In addition to the story Muckraker mentioned, Wraith squadron flew several starfighters very close together with an irregular shield modulation intended to mimic a damaged Falcon. They also used a vocoder to speak over open channels in Han and Leia's voices. The goal was to create a decoy and draw a Star Destroyer away from a secret base to give them time to escape.
This is the one I meant:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Millennium_Falsehood
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
There was a Millennium Falcon type ship featured taking off from the Jedi Temple in Revenge of the Sith, so I figured those would have been fairly common at some point. Also recall Leia's reaction upon first seeing the Falcon in A New Hope, or for that matter, Luke's as well. That makes me think they regarded the ship like some would regard a, say, P-40 Warhawk World War II-era fighter when sitting next to an F-18 Hornet.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That was the Falcon.
SeattleAgJr
All of those ships were very common in SW canon.

No reason to think or assume they are unique.

Now, the Falcon was souped up on the inside, of course, but its exterior was commonplace.
SeattleAgJr

we begged for less lens flares, so we get more film grain.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
99 days to The Force Awakens ...

Here's a picture of my daughters checking out some of her Daddy's Star Wars things on October 30, 2012, the day Lucas and Disney announced the buyout and the decision to make more movies. She was technically 9 months old at the time, but having been born 5 months premature was more the size of a 4-month old baby.

She is now 3 and can correctly identify Luke, Jar Jar (sigh), Darth Vader, Chewbacca, and Yoda, and knows which "song" is Vader's and which Yoda's on the ROTJ soundtrack.

Love it! Mine at 4 months in Dec 2013:

She now has her own Chewbacca doll, knows Vader, says "no, no, no" when she sees stormtroopers or Vader, knows Yoda is "green", and takes bubble baths with C-3PO and Artoo.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
97 is it now?

Thought I'd throw out some early plot ideas from the wonderful books Star Wars: The Annotated Screenplay; I don't have this book anymore, but it has the scripts of 4, 5, and 6, and some incredible early ideas, especially for Return of the Jedi including:

Lando killed by the Sarlaac
Luke not only killing Vader, but also putting on his helmet briefly and aiming the superlaser at the moon
Obi-Wan being "reborn" to fight Palps and Vader alongside Luke.

Also included is this, the very first sentence of the first outline of Journal of the Whills from 1973.

This is the story of Mace Windu, a revered Jedi Bendu of Ophuchi who was related to Usby C.J. Thape, Padawaan learner of the famed Jedi."

ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
quote:
99 days to The Force Awakens ...

Here's a picture of my daughters checking out some of her Daddy's Star Wars things on October 30, 2012, the day Lucas and Disney announced the buyout and the decision to make more movies. She was technically 9 months old at the time, but having been born 5 months premature was more the size of a 4-month old baby.

She is now 3 and can correctly identify Luke, Jar Jar (sigh), Darth Vader, Chewbacca, and Yoda, and knows which "song" is Vader's and which Yoda's on the ROTJ soundtrack.

Love it! Mine at 4 months in Dec 2013:

She now has her own Chewbacca doll, knows Vader, says "no, no, no" when she sees stormtroopers or Vader, knows Yoda is "green", and takes bubble baths with C-3PO and Artoo.

That hat is awesome. I've never really wanted a daughter until now.
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:

Also included is this, the very first sentence of the first outline of Journal of the Whills from 1973.

This is the story of Mace Windu, a revered Jedi Bendu of Ophuchi who was related to Usby C.J. Thape, Padawaan learner of the famed Jedi."

It must be fun to be a sci-fi writer and just make up words.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:

Knife_Party
Wow that really is a cool hat.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
quote:

No kidding. Is this just ****y sentance structure or am I supposed to know what a jedi bendu is?

And is 1984 me supposed to know who these other people are?
AliasMan02
AG
Have none of you read the comic that takes the original draft of "The Star Wars" and fleshes it out? It came out a couple of years ago.

It is horribad. The whole thing reads like that first sentence.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

The Art of Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

MSCAg
AG

Love SW, but this is still the stupidest fighter design in all fiction. Horses with blinders have a better field of vision.
DB Coach
AG
I had this passed on to me yesterday. Any thoughts?

Smuggler's Bounty
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
quote:
Obi-Wan being "reborn" to fight Palps and Vader alongside Luke.

I remember reading an interview with someone involved in the making of Jedi, perhaps a producer, who claimed that Obi-Wan would return from the dead, but that the form he would return would be very different from what the audience might expect, I guess he was referring to zombie movies, not sure. I remember thinking upon seeing Jedi that the interview didn't make any sense, as Obi-Wan's appearance in Jedi was no different than his appearance in Empire - he was a ghost, nothing more. Maybe that interview referred to this early draft...?
HeadGames
AG
I may have asked you this before, but what sever did you play SWG on? Besides lack of content patches, it was the best MMO till they came out with the "new game engine" and "combat upgrade".
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Star Wars Galaxies was the best game economy for a MMO EVER. I wish all of them were like that.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
I may have asked you this before, but what sever did you play SWG on? Besides lack of content patches, it was the best MMO till they came out with the "new game engine" and "combat upgrade".
I played on Flurry and I frickin PLAYED. I was on that game so much in the early going that I sometimes wondered where the waypoints were in the sky when I was driving to work.

I was a Wookiee named Xios and I was first a pikeman, then a smuggler/merchant. I really started to love the game when I started being a merchant, that made it feel like a real universe to me, not just a series of L33T guys having shootouts all over the place. I lvoed the quests and lvoed how intimately detailed some of the planets were - especially Naboo.

On the negative, I hated the combat thing, I quit for a long while, and I hated the staticness of the game; the NPGs never moved, and things were just too easy for the combat classes. The game I wanted wasn't there. I wanted a game where people were doing deals in cantinas; where the Empire was a real threat; where if you were going to try and run from Mos Espa to Mos Eisley, you'd probably get killed along the way beacuse nobody just strolls across the desert.

I ended my initial run on SWF by having a huge party as my wonderful Wookiee and giving away all my stuff and millions of credits for a trivia contest. I tried to play a couple of more times - one of my RL friends became a Jedi, but I just couldn't get into it again.
HeadGames
AG
I played on Ahazi. Did a lot. Was one of the first bioengineers. Then made millions as a chef. Then went the triple threat build to kill Jedi.
TKEAg04
AG
I was a defense stacking Swordsman. The most fun I ever had in an MMO was running around in bone armor, surveying for minerals, and dieing to the jumpy monkey things in my first couple days of playing. Anybody remember the names of the evil monkeys? They were on Naboo. The vastness of running around in the middle of nowhere is what got me hooked.

There are a couple of pre-cu SWG servers around. I have messed around on SWGemu - they should be getting close now to the clone.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I wish they'd make a game like Rebellion again
tremble
AG
SWG is still unsurpassed when it comes to the atmosphere of any game I played.

I'm about 90% sure the richest dude on our server was an armorsmith. That and the actual necessity of what are normally throw away skills like musician, chef makes it a very fond favorite.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I remember being legitimately sick and home from work the day they introduced the vehicles - speeder bikes and land speeders. Sent a buddy of mine screenshots of me on the beach outside Kadara on Naboo driving it. He was so livid he faked ill himself to go home and play.

I used to have a great youtube of screenshots I took in-game; will post if I can find it.

For day 96 until TFA, here's the trailer that fell into our laps in the fall of 1996; arguably the best trailer for SW ever, especially when Yoda shows up at the end.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Good ****. Always loved that trailer. I don't think I even went to the theater to see the SE's, but I remember that trailer making an impression.

AliasMan02
AG
For you galaxies guys, make sure you read this. It's fascinating even if you're not a gamer.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/04/23/star-wars-galaxies-jedi-class/
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
The Z-95 Headhunter, precursor to the X-Wing.

Knife_Party
Did anyone ever play star wars customizable card game? The one made by Decipher in the 90's not the Wizards of the Coast one.
heddleston
AG
I did, but i hadnt ever played a CCG before and couldnt figure it out. It turned into a game of "ooh i have Han Solo, which is way cooler than your Tie Fighter. I win this round!"
First Page Last Page
Page 181 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.