Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,673 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by TCTTS
Duncan Idaho
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Was his name said out loud in the film? I honestly don't remember how having a name.
Ag Since 83
AG
Alias, my copy of Aftermath does not say Rodian. It says Abednedo.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Alias, my copy of Aftermath does not say Rodian. It says Abednedo.

Weird. I'm reading a digital copy from Amazon.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
quote:
Anybody reading Aftermath???

I got it around 11:00 last night on my nook. Only had time to read 20 pages or so. I'm hoping the overall story will be worthwhile, but I'm not really digging the authors writing style so far. Maybe it's just me, but he has a very distracting use of comas and hyphens... disrupts my reading.

PS: There is definitely something going on with Rey and that staff. The trailers, set photos, posters... most shots are of her holding that thing. All very deliberate IMO.

My god you weren't kidding about the style.....terrible.

Agree that his writing is bad. Writing everything in the present tense, and the crazy extensive use of parentheses are odd choices, at best.
jr15aggie
AG
I'm about 5 chapters or so in and it hasn't gotten any better. I've also had to question more than a couple uses of a question mark. I've literally had to pause for like 30 seconds trying to figure out how that sentence could be used in the form of a question.

It's pretty poor IMO. And so far, the story is pretty boring. Too many characters introduced and none of them are doing anything particularly interesting. I have a feeling that when I'm done I will have read a whole lot of "meh" for very few picture Star Wars details.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
I'm about 5 chapters or so in and it hasn't gotten any better. I've also had to question more than a couple uses of a question mark. I've literally had to pause for like 30 seconds trying to figure out how that sentence could be used in the form of a question.

It's pretty poor IMO. And so far, the story is pretty boring. Too many characters introduced and none of them are doing anything particularly interesting. I have a feeling that when I'm done I will have read a whole lot of "meh" for very few picture Star Wars details.

I'm just in it for the insights. I'd read a wiki page if that's how it was presented. So far this has been the only really disappointing new novel.

Tarkin -> Lords of the Sith/A New Dawn -> Heir to the Jedi -> Aftermath (about 7 chapters in). Still need to read Dark Disciple.
Ag Since 83
AG
Got my tickets at Order 66 today.

About 75 pages into Aftermath, I agree with what most everyone is saying. The guy's writing is annoying, and these various characters and storylines better intersect in some meaningful way soon.
twilly
AG
quote:
Got my tickets at Order 66 today.

Awesome. See you in December.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Well that sucks. Was planning on reading this after How Star Wars Conquered The Universe, but I'll probably just read the wiki now.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

I know, the stupidest things make me laugh.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Well here I am begging again, we had a guy flake out of our Fantasy Football League at the 11th hour, so I'll put my offer out there again. join my league and I'll post my ridiculous Episode III Fan Fic written in 2001 by the end of tomorrow.

Had a guy flake out at the 11th hour. If you're interested in joining a largely Aggie league, please email me at nickgeo2010 (@) yahoo.com
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You wrote your Ep III fanfic before Ep II came out?
AliasMan02
AG
Here's some Force Friday insight into the new T-70 X-Wing. This is the new model from Fantasy Flight's X-Wing wargame. This is important because FFG works VERY closely with Lucasfilm in doing their modeling. To do the original game pieces, they actually gained access to original models and art that hadn't been out of storage since the 70s. So, it's safe to assume that what we see here is a great representation of the T-70 that we'll see on screen.

So, here is the T-70 X-Wing at 1/270 scale.

Note the sweet scissor-winged design.

A general comparison of the profiles of the two versions of the Incom classic. Note the bigger engines on the T-70. The cockpit is larger, or at least has more visibility as well.

Comparison in profile. The astromech is far less exposed in the T-70.

I hate to see you go, but I love watching you leave.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
You wrote your Ep III fanfic before Ep II came out?
Yep, hadn't even seen a trailer for it yet, just knew a few character names like Count Dooku. Time for you to man up and play some FFL with me, BES - you'd be a life-saver and keep a great league from having to postpone / fold. What say you?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sure, why not. As long as there's no buy in.
Ag Since 83
AG
I'm about 180 pages into Aftermath now, and I think the story has gotten much more interesting after the exposition. The political situation the remaining Imperials face is very intriguing, and the little bit they have talked about their view of the Sith and its role in the Empire has me wondering where that's going.

The writing style is still painful though. I hate his use of colons and present tense. I've been cringing as I think about how he would write the opening scene of Episode IV.

Above Tatooine: a Star Destroyer. Running from it: Princess Leia's ship.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
I'm about 180 pages into Aftermath now, and I think the story has gotten much more interesting after the exposition. The political situation the remaining Imperials face is very intriguing, and the little bit they have talked about their view of the Sith and its role in the Empire has me wondering where that's going.

The writing style is still painful though. I hate his use of colons and present tense. I've been cringing as I think about how he would write the opening scene of Episode IV.

I'm around the same point and was coming here to post the same. Definitely has picked up.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Gotta say, I'm really digging that new color scheme.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
AG
All I can think of every time I see that black X-Wing...

Saxsoon
AG
You guys would not believe Walt Disney World right now. Every store is either Princess or Star Wars. It is pretty insane and people are eating it up. They even threw Star Wars jokes into the Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor in Tomorrowland
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
All I can think of every time I see that black X-Wing...

Should have Han Solo climb into one and yell, "I'm a man! I'm 73!"
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:

Sounds like he was writing a script with scene descriptions, not so much writing a novel in which the scene has to be described.
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
You guys would not believe Walt Disney World right now. Every store is either Princess or Star Wars. It is pretty insane and people are eating it up. They even threw Star Wars jokes into the Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor in Tomorrowland

Don't know why it is a thumbs down

One example

Why didn't Han like his sandwich?

It was a little chewie . . . Oh that is actually kind of disturbing . . . Oh well on to the next joke

Kids and parents were laughing hard at this one
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
quote:

I'm around the same point and was coming here to post the same. Definitely has picked up.
Good to hear. I was dove hunting all weekend and didn't make much progress. So far up to page 100 or so it's a bunch of poor writing about characters I really don't care about. The occasional mention of Wedge Antilles and Mon Mothma isn't enough to connect me to the movies.

This is suppose to be a bridge between Jedi and Force Awakens... you can't do that successfully without giving us the characters we love. Perhaps it's intentional to not spoil the movie in December, but these books need to not only tell us about the rebels/new republic/empire, but tell us about our heroes and what they are doing.
AliasMan02
AG
Just finished Aftermath. Worth a read. They have plans on continuing some things, obviously. Takes a long time to get where it's going, but the ride is good overall. He does take some cowardly "outs," however, imo.

His writing is annoying, but somewhat efficient, I guess. It gives a lot of information in an easy to absorb manner. But, it's not what I wouod call "well written."
fig96
AG
quote:
You weren't at Universal on Friday afternoon, were you? Chatted with a guy in an Aggie Baseball shirt for a minute.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Good to hear. I was dove hunting all weekend and didn't make much progress. So far up to page 100 or so it's a bunch of poor writing about characters I really don't care about. The occasional mention of Wedge Antilles and Mon Mothma isn't enough to connect me to the movies.

This is suppose to be a bridge between Jedi and Force Awakens... you can't do that successfully without giving us the characters we love. Perhaps it's intentional to not spoil the movie in December, but these books need to not only tell us about the rebels/new republic/empire, but tell us about our heroes and what they are doing.
The connection isn't really like that. It's more about setting the stage for the next conflict, which I actually think it does pretty well.
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
quote:
You weren't at Universal on Friday afternoon, were you? Chatted with a guy in an Aggie Baseball shirt for a minute.

Nah, too short of a weekend to go. Saw quite a few Aggies in WDW though.
SeattleAgJr
I love this review from Amazon for Aftermath:

The writer of this book: has no idea how to write. The book has absolutely: no flow. It continually fumbles over: itself. Also: he gives vague descriptions about why a character is somewhere. For example Wedge Antilles: (is for some reason doing recon work) now why is Wedge doing missions like this: he is a vital pilot to rebel alliance. Oh and he gets caught: and he doesn't give you wedges perspective of what happened very well. He briefly: touches base on the why, Wedge Antilles, sacrificed his ship. The author constantly: switches to a new story (making it ver hard to keep track of what the overall story is). I am seven chapters in: and it is getting harder and harder to read. Oh: and the colons let me tell you about the colons. (They are used so much there is almost at least one on every page most of the time two on every page). One page had 5: I am only on chapter 7.

So this guy has a book that tells you how to write fiction. No this guy cant write and this guy has no idea what a colon is for. He loves the -- and () as well. He uses parenthesis way to much: they are useless. I never read a book so bad in my entire life: to date. (If this is the message Disney is sending us as the future for the franchise) then this is a poor example and has lowered my expectations to the bottom for: "The Force Awakens."

This guy should not write books: telling people how to write books. (He is trying way to hard in this book) way to hard and it very: transparent. I am not sure if I can finish it honestly: I am trying. (If I finish it) I will be: surprised.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
I love this review from Amazon for Aftermath:

The writer of this book: has no idea how to write. The book has absolutely: no flow. It continually fumbles over: itself. Also: he gives vague descriptions about why a character is somewhere. For example Wedge Antilles: (is for some reason doing recon work) now why is Wedge doing missions like this: he is a vital pilot to rebel alliance. Oh and he gets caught: and he doesn't give you wedges perspective of what happened very well. He briefly: touches base on the why, Wedge Antilles, sacrificed his ship. The author constantly: switches to a new story (making it ver hard to keep track of what the overall story is). I am seven chapters in: and it is getting harder and harder to read. Oh: and the colons let me tell you about the colons. (They are used so much there is almost at least one on every page most of the time two on every page). One page had 5: I am only on chapter 7.

So this guy has a book that tells you how to write fiction. No this guy cant write and this guy has no idea what a colon is for. He loves the -- and () as well. He uses parenthesis way to much: they are useless. I never read a book so bad in my entire life: to date. (If this is the message Disney is sending us as the future for the franchise) then this is a poor example and has lowered my expectations to the bottom for: "The Force Awakens."

This guy should not write books: telling people how to write books. (He is trying way to hard in this book) way to hard and it very: transparent. I am not sure if I can finish it honestly: I am trying. (If I finish it) I will be: surprised.
Can't wait for the audiobook to hear the stumbling narrator try to get past this... I can just see him throwing a tantrum now... this might make a good SNL skit.

Or maybe Christopher Walkin wrote this book using a nom de guerre.
jr15aggie
AG
Lol, but it's so true. The whole thing is sorta making me angry as I read. It really is poor and I'm trying to figure out why I can't be a semi successful writer if guys like this are handed a Star Wars novel.
fig96
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Nah, too short of a weekend to go. Saw quite a few Aggies in WDW though.
Didn't figure but thought I'd ask Saw several around Universal as well.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
MuckRaker should've written it.
Duncan Idaho
It would probably sound like the Ender's books that Card read.

If you havent had the misfortune of hearing one of these, I am pretty sure they had him record each word used in the book individually and then had an itern splice them together.
First Page Last Page
Page 178 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.