Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,400 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by TCTTS
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm not caught up on Rebels yet, but ran across the Kanan comic on Comixology last night and read the first two issues.

It's surprisingly good, I really like the artwork and the story is solid. It goes into his backstory, starting with events occurring right around when Order 66 was executed. Definitely worth picking up if you've got an interest in the character.

https://www.comixology.com/Kanan-The-Last-Padawan/comics-series/39904

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
Why are you still married?
Free sechs.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Free my ass
Jason Ag
AG
quote:
Just started re watching 1-6 with the wife in number order. Holy hell, 1 and 2 were bad.

Three words "The Phantom Edit"
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I watched the clip of Vader fighting those two guys in Rebels, out of curiosity.

Haven't seen the rest of the show yet but, come on, Vader could've destroyed those two in seconds. Are they actually Jedi or just rebels with lightsabers?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://instagr.am/p/6w-FkJvO95
Hagen95
AG
One is a Jedi, the other an apprentice, and

SPOILER

yes, Vader easily defeats them.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I watched the clip of Vader fighting those two guys in Rebels, out of curiosity.

Haven't seen the rest of the show yet but, come on, Vader could've destroyed those two in seconds. Are they actually Jedi or just rebels with lightsabers?
There is a reason why they weren't obliterated in two seconds. I recommend watching the entire premier episode so that you can get a bit more context of what happened in the episode. Kanan is Deepa Billaba's Padawan (and his comic line is detailing what happened after Order 66 for him) and Ezra has become Kanan's padawan/apprentice. It's interesting as they have been going through a bit of trial and error to find out what works for training.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ah, good to know. Have to check it out.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:

Friggin Disney is gonna make hundreds of millions on Kylo Ren toys/books/comics/etc over the next few years.
Saxsoon
AG
Disney is going through a friggin renaissance under Iger. I loved Eisner as a kid because he opened the Wonderful World of Disney movie every week on ABC, but looking back, he damn near destroyed the company. The late 90s to early 00's were pretty bleak (home on the range, chicken little) with some exceptions (Lilo and Stitch). He made really questionable Resort decisions as well.

Under Iger, you are seeing the true form of Disney and a pure use of every IP they own and ability to cross brand it. The use of ESPN and ABC, as well as the new properties of Marvel and Star Wars is just something amazing to see.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Saw a comment on Reddit made a lot of sense. If Disney wants sales to go through the roof on Force Friday, it would make sense to maximize the hype of the film right before that day, right?

I'm thinking we might get a trailer next week. Maybe Wednesday or Thursday. Could be wrong, but then again, I might not.
Keegan99
AG
Have to give Eisner some credit for the late 80s through early 90s animated feature film resurrection, though.
Saxsoon
AG
That is true regarding late 80s early 90s but he was in Disney leadership for over 20 years. Under him we saw the reduction of Disney animation. I think he started to rest on his laurels and lost all of the goodwill he had made. He turned Disney into a juggernaut but almost stopped the behemoth himself
TCTTS
AG
Problem is, there's nothing to attach it to theatrically, in terms of big-name movies. Won't be 'til at least mid-late September. That, and Force Friday is the beginning of Labor Day weekend. Hollywood basically shuts down that weekend, and no way Disney releases a trailer when half the industry is on holiday. In-the-know sources are saying end of September / early October.
BMX Bandit
help out those of us uniformed on the trailer biz:

why would a studio care if industry folks were around the weekend after a trailer release? In internet age, I don't think it will play a role in the buzz around it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It ain't the 90's anymore. They don't need a movie to attach it to. I would venture a guess that 90% of people that saw the first two teasers did so online.

Not that I'm sure we'll get a trailer, but if we don't, I doubt it's for that reason.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:
It ain't the 90's anymore. They don't need a movie to attach it to. I would venture a guess that 90% of people that saw the first two teasers did so online.

Not that I'm sure we'll get a trailer, but if we don't, I doubt it's for that reason.

Sounds like we could have ourselves a nice friendly wager for Internet points here.
wangus12
AG
quote:
In-the-know sources are saying end of September / early October.
Attach it to The Martian, out on Oct. 2nd.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Pass.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:

why would a studio care if industry folks were around the weekend after a trailer release? In internet age, I don't think it will play a role in the buzz around it.
I'm also curious about this. Studios don't need "industry" people to create buzz and hype anymore. Once they throw it up online and it hits twitter and youtube, that's all you they really need. The internet does the rest.

Or am I missing something?
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
I would venture a guess that 90% of people that saw the first two teasers did so online.
Sure, I did. But when I was sitting in a theater a few weeks later and the trailer started up, I could hardly contain my emotions. I was giddy.

Sure, I'd seen the trailer numerous times on my computer, but seeing it on the XD screen at Cinemark made the whole thing real. There really is no comparison to the experience.

Will I watch a Star Wars trailer online first? If that's how it's released. But I would pay money to see a new Star Wars trailer in a movie theater.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Agreed. First time I saw the first teaser was in IMAX before The Hobbit, but the idiots forgot to dim the lights in the theater. (In fact they were on through the entire dragon attack.) Still awesome though. Got a big reaction.

Haven't been able to see the second one in theaters. Has it even been attached to anything?
Saxsoon
AG
I am not an industry guy, but it makes sense NOT to show it over Labor Day, even more so in our media age surprisingly enough.

1. People are still traveling. Less opportunities to watch while traveling and getting the kiddos to watch because everything is hectic while traveling.

2. More importantly, you seriously don't think Disney won't have a mission control set up when the trailer goes live? They are going to be analyzing every single tweet, share, like, YouTube watch and get the demographics on it. And heaven forbid there is a backlash on the PR front (for whatever reason, our culture is conditioned to be offended now) they are not going to want the team on vacation when it happens.
Duncan Idaho
Isn't labor day one of the big weekends?
TCTTS
AG

quote:

Sorry, by "industry" I'm also referring to those who cover the industry - the trades, blogs, online magazines, etc. A lot of these people will be off work / not around a computer.

quote:
I'm also curious about this. Studios don't need "industry" people to create buzz and hype anymore. Once they throw it up online and it hits twitter and youtube, that's all you they really need. The internet does the rest.

Or am I missing something?
News has to originate somewhere, and be instigated by something other than just social media. If StarsWars.com throws the trailer up on YouTube over a holiday, I promise you, without a hundred blogs writing about it, the numbers will be down from what they could have been otherwise. And for mega trailers like this, setting download records - and blogs writing about those records - is something Disney is no doubt banking on, and a major part of the news cycle.

quote:

I'd argue that for Star Wars, watching the trailer in a theater is still a HUGE part of the experience. Thousands of people lined up to see that first teaser over Thanksgiving. Disney made an event of it. And while they probably won't go as big for this trailer theatrically, there's no way it's just an online release over one of the slowest movie-going weekends of there year.

quote:
Isn't labor day one of the big weekends?

Strangely enough, no. And I have no idea why. Here's what's coming out that weekend: The Transporter Refueled. That's it. Labor Day weekend is usually a dumping grown. (Memorial Day Weekend, on the other hand, is huge.)

Fact of the matter is D23 was just a little over a week ago, and if Disney was going to release a trailer for the masses over Labor Day weekend, they would have premiered it exclusively for that crowd first. The fact that they didn't tells us everything we need to know: that it's going to be released a while after D23. Bottom line, I'd be willing to bet any amount of money that the trailer doesn't drop between September 3rd and 7th. And if I had to pick an exact date, I'd say either with Everest on September 25 or The Martian on October 2. At the very latest we'll see it on October 16 with Bridge of Spies / Crimson Peak, but early October feels like the sweet spot to me. The toys/books kick off the Star Wars news Cycle in September, the trailer will keep it going in October, and then the final push will happen in November with all the TV spots and what not. It just makes more sense to draw all this stuff out.
Saxsoon
AG
Great point tc about dragging it out by September being toys and October being trailers. Never let yourself be out of the discussion
TCTTS
AG
Kylo Ren Is Not A Sith And the First Order are Nazis?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Makes sense. If we ignore the EU, the Sith died out when Vader died. So he can't exactly be a Sith, at least not in the same way they've existed for however many thousands of years.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
I'd argue that for Star Wars, watching the trailer in a theater is still a HUGE part of the experience.

Oh I agree, Star Wars is first and foremost a theatrical experience. My only point is that they don't exactly need a big movie to attach a trailer to anymore. Hell, the Phantom Menace trailer premiered with Meet Joe Black.
TXAG 05
AG
quote:

Haven't been able to see the second one in theaters. Has it even been attached to anything?

Mission Impossible.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
quote:

Mission Impossible.

Not at my showing
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Mine either.
TXAG 05
AG
Mine was in IMAX and was awesome
First Page Last Page
Page 166 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.