Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,860,148 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
I'd argue that for Star Wars, watching the trailer in a theater is still a HUGE part of the experience.

Oh I agree, Star Wars is first and foremost a theatrical experience. My only point is that they don't exactly need a big movie to attach a trailer to anymore. Hell, the Phantom Menace trailer premiered with Meet Joe Black.

They don't need it, but they still do it. I can't remember the last huge trailer that was either online only or attached to some no-name stuff over a dead weekend.

As for TPM, technically, it was attached to Meet Joe Black, Enemy of the State, and The Waterboy. Two of those were big movies at the time, and the other starred Brad Pitt. It was also Thanksgiving. There was even a reporter waiting outside our showing of Enemy of the State after the movie, asking some of us if we came just to see the trailer. I was in high school, with a group of friends, and when the reporter interviewed me I used the name of one of our good buddies who wasn't with us, and said I was HUGE Star Wars nerd, collected all the toys, dressed up, etc. My friends played along without skipping a beat, and "I"/ my friend were the main subject in an article on the front page of the local paper the next morning. He still gives me sh*t for that to this day.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:
Makes sense. If we ignore the EU, the Sith died out when Vader died. So he can't exactly be a Sith, at least not in the same way they've existed for however many thousands of years.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the Sith originally a race of people that bred with outcast Jedi?
wangus12
AG
I still haven't seen either trailer on the big screen. It has become increasingly frustrating at movies.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
quote:
Makes sense. If we ignore the EU, the Sith died out when Vader died. So he can't exactly be a Sith, at least not in the same way they've existed for however many thousands of years.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the Sith originally a race of people that bred with outcast Jedi?

That whole there are only 2 sith at anytime thing wasnt as dumb as midichlorians but far dumber than Luke and Leia being twins.

TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
Disagree on that he can't be a sith. Vader and Palpatine were sith yet they were also human. We are talking, in cannon, about the Sith being the group that follows the dark side of the force. He may not be a sith yet in that he hasn't learned enough about it but I wouldn't say that he can't be sith eventually. If he finds enough of the dark history then there is nothing to say that he couldn't resurrect the sith order later on. Personally, I hope they don't go that route but it is a genuine possibility or even for him to lay the foundation for his successor to bring it back down the road. I doubt that we've seen the last of the Sith.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
quote:

There were the sith species and the sith dark side order. Not 100% the same thing though the order did originate with the species (EU).
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG

quote:
"This all sounds very cool, and it brings into focus something a source told me a few months ago: Kylo Ren is basically a Nazi memorabilia collector, and Darth Vader is his Hitler."

Frankly, if true, that sounds amazing.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/08/25/no-sith-the-force-awakens-kylo-rens-force-allegiance-revealed
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Slightly better quality than before.

Just noticed the smoke, and how it seems to be reacting/interacting with the blade. Looks damn cool.
Duncan Idaho
In this thread I learned that Vader made the trains run on time.
OnlyForNow
AG
So if he isn't a sith, and doesn't have force powers then we can assume that's not a light saber; right? Because light sabers are controlled by the users control of the force right?

Riddle me that...
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
So if he isn't a sith, and doesn't have force powers then we can assume that's not a light saber; right? Because light sabers are controlled by the users control of the force right?

Riddle me that...
This guy says hello.

double aught
AG
quote:
quote:

Riddle me that...
This guy says hello.

Also Han when he guts the tauntaun.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
did it say he wasn't a force user? I thought it only said he wasn't sith.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
just based on that one second of the trailer, it appears he's using the force to do something.

A great Star wars Infinities would have been Han activating the lightsaber to cut open the Tauntaun and accidentally cutting Luke's head off instead.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Anyone can use a lightsaber, but the problem is that they are so incredibly dangerous that only people extremely skilled in combat like the Jedi do. Also the fact that most trained Jedi can glance moments into the future also make them a viable weapon choice. If they couldn't do that, a lot more of them would get lit up by boasters.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
A lightsaber CAN have a "force" switch embedded, but doesn't need one.
OnlyForNow
AG
Wasn't grevious fully biological at some point? He has a real* heart in AOTC. Real in this case just means fleshy.

And yes I agree with the Han reference. Guess his skills are, as mentioned, one reason his saber is not "clean" like we've previously seen. That thing looks like it is spitting energy.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
jabberwalkie09
AG
Rebels is apparently returning in October per MSW.

http://makingstarwars.net/2015/08/new-star-wars-rebels-tv-spot/
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:

Riddle me that...

OnlyForNow
AG
So is he force choking someone or force bringing something to him (floating?)...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I don't know how I just noticed this, but has everyone noticed his lightsaber doesn't have a crossguard yet? Could that be early in the movie before he makes further modifications?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
To me it seems like he's stopping something/someone.
hurleyag
AG
I think the crossguard is there, he is just at the angle that it looks like it is part of the main saber section.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yep, good call.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
So is he force choking someone or force bringing something to him (floating?)...
He's shouting "NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!"
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Judging by the picture I posted above, he's probably trying to stop an attacker(s), who he then has a lightsaber duel with. Notice the troopers turning behind him.

Maybe the Falcon coming in, and Finn fights him? (Dare I say...Luke?)
wangus12
AG
Like hurley said, it definitely looks like just the angle of the video. You can somewhat see the cross-blade sticking to the left at the bottom
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I always figured that it was a separate button for the cross guard, like Maul's dual lightsaber.
fig96
AG
quote:
Wasn't grevious fully biological at some point? He has a real* heart in AOTC. Real in this case just means fleshy.

And yes I agree with the Han reference. Guess his skills are, as mentioned, one reason his saber is not "clean" like we've previously seen. That thing looks like it is spitting energy.
Worth the watch, S1E10 of Clone Wars, Lair of Grievous. Some interesting backstory on him:

EDIT: Replaced vid with one from someone who hadn't just learned effects in iMovie. Should also be on Netflix if you want a better version.
512Ag
AG
quote:
quote:
He's shouting "NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!"
Maybe Rey is about to run over him with that speeder thing from the first trailer, a la Austin Powers.

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Perhaps Kylo Ren is a former apprentice of Luke's who got obsessed with Vader, etc., so Luke turned him out? Seems unlikely Luke wouldn't have mentored at least one person in 30 years;
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Perhaps Kylo Ren is a former apprentice of Luke's who got obsessed with Vader, etc., so Luke turned him out? Seems unlikely Luke wouldn't have mentored at least one person in 30 years;
This seems likely IMO.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
None of this is spoilers as far as I know because I haven't read anything that says this is indeed a leak... just people speculating:

In the trailer we assume this is a younger Luke (wearing dark robes like in Jedi) with the hand on R2... there is fire off screen and you get the vibe he's upset. Taking this with rumors from last year how this movie would have flashbacks of some kind... speculation that Luke was trying to teach new Jedi, but something happened and his "academy" was destroyed and burned. Thus Luke became secluded (why some say a theme of this movie is finding Luke) and Kylo was on of his disciples that escaped and turned bad. Or maybe Kylo turned and destroyed Luke's school. Who knows. Lot's off possibilities,
First Page Last Page
Page 167 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.