Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,607 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Force Awakens is officially coming to Comic-Con. I can't imagine them releasing another trailer publicly next month, so soon after the last, but who knows? They'll no-doubt have new footage for attendees, it's just a matter of whether or not that footage will also be for public consumption or not...

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-comic-con/
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hell yes.
Malachi Constant
AG
It's nearing "go dark" time for me.
Mr. White
Me too. Probably my last visit to the thread until Dec. 18.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Me too. Probably my last visit to the thread until Dec. 18.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Aaron Paul teased on Twitter last night about a new gig he just booked and is "over the moon" about, but has to keep secret for now.

Some folks think it may be SW related, and the moon comment was a bit of a hint. Thoughts?
gctxag
AG
Whats yalls opinion on this?

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Purple, Who uses it: bad mother****ers.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
Whats yalls opinion on this?

I'm colorblind. F your light saber color map. Half of them look the same to me.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
TheEyeGuy is colorblind? That's like a guy named Bookman being illiterate!
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
TheEyeGuy is colorblind? That's like a guy named Bookman being illiterate!
Color deficient to be precise.. and reds/greens blend together for me. That chart is an exercise in futility for me.
double aught
AG
You're not missing much.
tamusc
AG
Heck, I can't tell the difference between some of them and I have perfect vision.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Graphics like that remind me that as much of a Star Wars nerd I have been for 38 of my 41 years on this planet, there are guys who make me look like I barely know the difference between a Jedi and a Klingon.
Malachi Constant
AG
You thought that was nerdy...

quote:
Alright. Nerd time. Lightsaber fighting is actually broken up into 7 styles. The style Christopher Lee's character used is style 2, the 'duelist' style. Basically, style 1 was just a bunch of techniques for using a real sword that Jedi slammed together when they first got lightsabers. Style 2 was all about taking advantage of the lightsabers innate properties, near weightless blade, able to cut through anything with very little force, etc. Basically, fencing for a lightsaber. Speed and technique over all.
Which is incidentally why Obi-wan consistently get's his ass handed to him by Dooku. Obi-wan isn't that much worse then him, but his style, Style 3 or the 'defensive' style was entirely about defense. Keep yourself safe in the eye of the storm and wait for your opponent to tire and make a mistake. Since style 2(duelist) is very precise, exploiting even the smallest of openings, and light handed, meaning it doesn't tire the user out, Style 2 is basically a hard counter to style 3(defense). Hence, Obi-wan getting his ass handed to him.
Edit: Since people have asked, Style 4 is the 'Agility' style. Focusing on quick movement and intense offense, dodging for defense rather then parrying. Qui-gon Jinn used this style, but his age slowed him, making him easy prey for Darth Maul. Yoda is considered the best user of this style, as his small size completely negated the styles weaknesses, being poor defense in tight spaces where you don't have room to dodge.
Style 5 is the 'Strong' style. It's one of the first hybrid styles, mixing in heavy handed attacks from style 1 with defense postures from style 3. Basically, the idea behind it is that while you don't need a lot of power to cut through people with a lightsaber, you can tire and injure an opponent by basically just hammering on his defenses hard enough and long enough. Eventually, they will crumble. Anakin and Luke Skywalker are both noted users of Style 5, and it's considered a strong counter to style 2, but is countered by style 3 in turn, hence why Anakin really had no chance against Obi-wan.
Style 6 is the 'Balanced' style. Taking equal parts of everything to make sure you always have a tool to fit the situation. No real weakness, except for a lack of advanced techniques from each style, making the user broad, but very shallow. Is the only style that includes dual saber and staffsaber techniques. While generally a poor style all around, Duelists who have attained mastery of all 7 forms, could, in a way, be considered Style 6 users, though only two such people come to mind, Palpatine and Exar Kun, both Sith Lords.
Style 7 is the 'Aggression' Style. Focusing on channeling your emotion into combat power and being unpredictable with staccato, unrelenting attacks. Style 7 users are also the most likely to try and 'psych' out their opponents with displays of superior power, or using punches and kicks, not to damage or injure, but to unnerve and anger their opponent. All out, unmitigated offense. Darth Maul is basically the patron friggin saint of this style in it's darker forms.
There is a more balanced form of Style 7 called 'Vapaad' however, created by Mace Windu. It focuses on entwining your own anger and rage to that of your opponent, basically feeding on your enemies negative energy. This is extremely difficult and requires equal mastery of lightsaber and force combat, but the result is a Vapaad user facing a powerful Sith is basically on the Force equal of rocket fuel. The more powerful the sith is, the more powerful a Vapaad user will be. Hence, Windu handing Palpatine his ass.
redline248
AG
I have to say, that LS picture and that quoted write up are the first time I've ever heard of Mace (or any Jedi) dancing on the edge of the dark side during combat. I imagine it's from some book or game, and it's stupid.

edit to add: I'm not talking about Anakin (who spent his whole life dancing on the edge of the dark side) or Luke who wasn't a fully trained Jedi when he was using dark side stuff in episode 6. I'm talking about Jedi using it as a practiced technique. That's bs.

I also don't agree about Anakin's and Obi-Wan's styles. They were essentially the same thing, which is part of the reason that final duel took such a long ass time.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Mace Windu creates Vapaad to overcome his own deficiencies in the basic lightsaber form. The Vapaad is an animal that looks sort of like an octopus on land that lives on some volcano planet. Some of them have up to 20 arms.

Mace's apprentice learns it too, then she goes to the Dark Side and goes nuts. I believe that is all in the Matthew Stover novel Shatterpoint, which is just an homage to Heart of Darkness / Apocalypse Now.

So yes, crap from a book is accurate, but it was a good book.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:

I also don't agree about Anakin's and Obi-Wan's styles. They were essentially the same thing, which is part of the reason that final duel took such a long ass time.

I always thought they used style 8: rave fighting.

TCTTS
AG
First shot of Carrie Fisher as Leia, from a wardrobe fitting...

http://makingstarwars.net/2015/06/star-wars-the-force-awakens-first-look-at-princess-leia/
Saxsoon
AG
So um . . . Forrest Whitaker is in talks for Rogue One
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Also, do you think there is a disadvantage to having mechanical body parts, like Anakin or Luke? I was just thinking that if you were going to have to get a mechanical appendage, at least you could design it like General Grievous, where you don't have to worry about how rotation (you can spin your joints 360 degrees constantly). Then that made me wonder why they wouldn't do that Anakin when they finally put him in the Vader suit. Probably overthinking this.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Mace Windu creates Vapaad to overcome his own deficiencies in the basic lightsaber form. The Vapaad is an animal that looks sort of like an octopus on land that lives on some volcano planet. Some of them have up to 20 arms.

Mace's apprentice learns it too, then she goes to the Dark Side and goes nuts. I believe that is all in the Matthew Stover novel Shatterpoint, which is just an homage to Heart of Darkness / Apocalypse Now.

So yes, crap from a book is accurate, but it was a good book.
Pretty much this. It has also been alluded to in the Kanan comic that Depa (Mace's padawan) missed some of the Clone Wars for some reason. From what I have been reading, the general theory is that Depa used Vaapad/Form VII and may have gone a little nuts as a byproduct of its use. What remains to be seen though is if the form was passed on to Kanan from Depa, will be passed on to Ezra from Kanan if he learned it, or if it died with Depa/Mace.
redline248
AG
I read that book, and I remember parts of it. Didn't think it was that good.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Star Wars Battlefront gameplay from E3.
Legal Custodian
AG
quote:
This looks amazing...
Wheatables02
AliasMan02
AG
Outstanding. It's really astounding that there aren't any Star Wars games out there right now. It's been years.
tamusc
AG
quote:
Outstanding. It's really astounding that there aren't any Star Wars games out there right now. It's been years.
RIP Star Wars 1313
redline248
AG
I think technically the SW mmo is still going
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
I think technically the SW mmo is still going

Not sure that ever even really registered on most radars.
redline248
AG
True, console is what most people know.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Looks legit!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Saxsoon
AG
quote:

That is so amazing
ChipFTAC01
AG
I've never thought about all the water damage the xwing must have had after that. Does it have leather or cloth seats? And good luck drying it out in the swamps of dagobah
First Page Last Page
Page 140 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.