Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,860,239 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by TCTTS
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've often wondered what story J.J. intended to tell with the sequel trilogy, as opposed to what we ended up getting due to.....decisions that were made
TCTTS
AG
I think the main issue was that J.J. *didn't* have a larger story to tell. He's notoriously indecisive, and he and Kasdan were literally making it up even as they were shooting TFA. Rian Johnson starting working on TLJ summer '14, a full year and a half before TFA hit theaters, while TFA was still filming (and thus, while Abrams & Kasdan were still "playing jazz," so to speak). The problem was that Disney/Iger wanted "saga" films every two years this go around, instead of every three, as with the OT and PT, so writers/directors had to start working on the next movie long before the previous movie was even remotely finished. Which, of course, led to a lack of coherency and central authorship of the sequel trilogy as a whole.
mazag08
AG
So likes terrible leadership and decision making from the producer spot.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Just three simple men...

(RIP Jeremy Bulloch)
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

I'd like to see Muck answering all of these questions.
redline248
AG
Well, the B wing looks like a T, so...
redline248
AG
At about 7 minutes that dude says he thinks everyone has the potential to use the Force, they only need to be taught. That's fat BS
TCTTS
AG
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

I think the main issue was that J.J. *didn't* have a larger story to tell. He's notoriously indecisive, and he and Kasdan were literally making it up even as they were shooting TFA. Rian Johnson starting working on TLJ summer '14, a full year and a half before TFA hit theaters, while TFA was still filming (and thus, while Abrams & Kasdan were still "playing jazz," so to speak). The problem was that Disney/Iger wanted "saga" films every two years this go around, instead of every three, as with the OT and PT, so writers/directors had to start working on the next movie long before the previous movie was even remotely finished. Which, of course, led to a lack of coherency and central authorship of the sequel trilogy as a whole.
Good point about them still doing rewrites so late into the process on TFA, that does make it seem less likely he had a grand plan for the trilogy that he just wasn't able to enact.

And if that's true about Iger wanting to film every two years, than to me that directive from above removes a lot of the blame on Kennedy. She has still messed up quite a few times even outside of the trilogy, but someone is responsible for the ****up of the trilogy.
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

I don't like this concept, I want a series with MUCH less connection to the existing storyline.
amercer
AG
Agree
redline248
AG
TCTTS said:

Seriously? This should mean the Acolyte is Darth Plagueis, then.
amercer
AG
And this show was held out last week as an example of SW expanding the universe and getting beyond the movies.

Whoops it's just a Palpatine backstory show... Barf.
redline248
AG
amercer said:

And this show was held out last week as an example of SW expanding the universe and getting beyond the movies.

Whoops it's just a Palpatine backstory show... Barf.
Yeah, I totally misread that one. It would actually be pretty awesome if it was the inverse of The Mandalorian and Sheev Palpatine was the "the child."

Lol
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Guys, it is not about Palpatine. He is at MOST 60 years old in that movie, probably closer to 50, maybe even late 40's.

It would have to be about child Sheev, and that isn't going to happen. Now...Plageius? Possibly. But I doubt Sheev would play much of any role.
redline248
AG
Which is why I originally mentioned Plagueis.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Wasn't directed at you...
amercer
AG
Sure. He also died when the second Death Star went down....
redline248
AG
OMG, it just hit me...it's supposed to be an all female cast directed by a female director, right? The main acolyte, whoever she is, is totally going to be Palps' slam piece and Rey's grandma. Sith master can probably look in his 30s when he's really 80.
TCTTS
AG
I don't think it's an all female cast, but yeah, the lead is definitely supposed to be female. My gut says they never reference the Rey-Palpatine connection ever again, but Rey was such a popular character that yeah, I could also see them trying to make that connection.
powerbelly
AG
Sheev was born in 84 bby and phantom menace is 32 bby.
redline248
AG
According to...? Is there any reason to trust the Star Wars equivalent of a Dominican Republic player?
AliasMan02
AG
TCTTS said:

I misread this at first. 50 years from the END of the High Republic could make sense. The books and comics in the era are several hundred years before TPM, I believe.

While I'd like to see some more separation, this does admittedly solve some potential problems. Except for Yoda, it splits the casts from the other media from The Acolyte. It also opens up some narratives because I don't believe there is a large dark side threat in the High Republic era... could've wrong on that because I haven't started that yet.

I bet the Acolyte is about the Sith starting to execute their plan and the actual Acolyte is a Jedi who gets pulled into that orbit. Plagueis won't be the primary because he was never a Jedi, and a Munn doesn't make a great main character.
PatAg
AG
The show being more of a spy thriller would be pretty great
redline248
AG
Is anything about Plagueis, other than what Palpatine says in 3, canon anymore? I know the author wrote the Tarkin book to try and keep his first book relevant, but isn't there now an even newer book that tosses that out the window?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
AliasMan02 said:

TCTTS said:

I misread this at first. 50 years from the END of the High Republic could make sense. The books and comics in the era are several hundred years before TPM, I believe.

While I'd like to see some more separation, this does admittedly solve some potential problems. Except for Yoda, it splits the casts from the other media from The Acolyte. It also opens up some narratives because I don't believe there is a large dark side threat in the High Republic era... could've wrong on that because I haven't started that yet.

I bet the Acolyte is about the Sith starting to execute their plan and the actual Acolyte is a Jedi who gets pulled into that orbit. Plagueis won't be the primary because he was never a Jedi, and a Munn doesn't make a great main character.
Speak for yourself!

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Man...I can't remember the last time Star Wars fans were THIS united and happy with something (Mandalorian finale). In fact I don't think it's EVER happened in my lifetime and only Rogue One came close to doing this.

Such a great time to be a Star Wars fan.

https://reddit.com/r/StarWars/comments/kgxf6g/im_old/
ArmyAg2002
AG
amercer said:

Agree

I want to explore thousands of years in the past or the beginning of the Jedi and Sith.
Saxsoon
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Man...I can't remember the last time Star Wars fans were THIS united and happy with something (Mandalorian finale). In fact I don't think it's EVER happened in my lifetime and only Rogue One came close to doing this.

Such a great time to be a Star Wars fan.

https://reddit.com/r/StarWars/comments/kgxf6g/im_old/

Oh the "intellectual artist types" are botching that Star Wars is self fellating themselves with the intro of Luke but screw em
PatAg
AG
If I see anyone try to imply that it was "deus ex machina" I know I can just mark them down as a dumbass who doesn't even know what the term actually means.
Saxsoon
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

AliasMan02 said:

TCTTS said:

Speak for yourself!

Oh not that Munn

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
She excites munn calamari, if you catch my drift.
CoachRTM
AG
Official post on the Book of Boba Fett new series.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Can't wait for the Taratino episode.
Duncan Idaho
That was my first thought when I saw rodriguez's name
First Page Last Page
Page 1006 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.