Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,016 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by TCTTS
Cinco Ranch Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

And it was probably just a fraction of the excitement that the older fans felt in 1999.
As a fan who is older even than that, I'll say that the excitement I felt for the release of each new Star Wars movie was always quite high, but nothing will ever surpass 1983 for me. My smallish hometown theater had announced they were opening ROTJ on 25-May, and I told my mom that I was absolutely going to be there. But I had this irritating thing called a final exam in my high school biology class that was scheduled the day prior to the movie's release. My mom told me, great, so long as you ace your exam. So I did just that and found myself in a long (long by Lake Jackson, Texas standards) line for the first showing.

I had all kinds of thoughts and theories about how Jedi would proceed, all formed during those long 3 years since TESB came out; this was a time when one really didn't have to worry about spoilers (in fact, that was a word that didn't exist in movie context, to my knowledge). I was as hyped as I've ever been for a movie that day. The only footage I'd seen to that point came in the form of a trailer

and a clip of an actual sequence from the movie that I saw on some show like Good Morning America early on the morning of the movie's release day (featuring the part where Han pilots the stolen shuttle Tyderium toward the star destroyer en route to Endor). Of course, in all of this footage there was what today would be considered a huge spoiler - that Han will be freed from the carbonite - but I think pretty much everyone presumed that was going to happen.

In May 1999 I had literally just started moving in to my first house that I took a couple hours away from unpacking boxes to go see TPM on opening day. I had a lot of anticipation toward that movie, and I believe I'm one of 3 people worldwide who will defend not only that movie but the entire prequel trilogy, as being worthy additions to the Star Wars saga. On this day in 2015, I took the day off from work but had to wait until school let out so that my youngest could see it with the wife and I. Same anticipation for TFA as any of the others save ROTJ.
fig96
AG
Was reading all this thinking "Was the trailer really that good?" then watched it again. Yeah, it was.

And hate all you want, but I still really like TFA.

Yes, it's far from perfect and certainly has its issues storywise. But it was the first thing we'd gotten in a long time that truly looked and felt like Star Wars, and for all its familiarity it was exactly the film it needed to be at the time.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
powerbelly
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Agreed. Seeing Han freaking Solo on screen again after so long, with that line, was amazing. Definitely best part of the trailer.

Just re-watched the trailer. Great trailer. Good movie. Cluster**** of a trilogy though.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Good stuff.
Keegan99
AG
Guess the "Are you an angel?" opening line kinda gave it away to ol' Obi-Wan, eh?
Decay
AG
For one moment, he even loved sand
YNWA_AG
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
YNWA_AG said:

Wow, that is a bizarre coincidence. He was also out of Mando uniform and had cameos in Rogue One, ESB, and ROTS.

Never seen this fantastic picture from the red carpet of ROTS

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Who the hell is Obi-Wan to go dissing Watto's store? He never even went there! A entrepreneuring Toydarian leaves his home world, goes to this POS desert planet, and carves himself out a niche in a highly competitive industry where you've got the Jawa oligarchy basically muscling everyone out of the business.

Meanwhile, Ivory Tower Kenobi lives in Space Hogwarts for his whole life, clean robes, fresh food, meting out justice on "pathetic lifeforms" because he controls an energy field created by all living things.

What a jerk.
ABATTBQ11
AG
mazag08 said:

Blatant Disregard said:

This trailer represented the sum total of lifetime Star Wars Hype for me. Born in '83 (the year ROTJ came out), it had been a part of my life since the beginning.

This might be my favorite trailer of all time. The movie was good. The ST was bad.

Edit: damn, even five years later I have a slight tear in my eye after Maz's line "The force, it's calling to you... just let it in."
Nothing will beat the moment the main star wars theme, played slowed down and super intense over a shot of Kylo and the Knights of Ren.

That movie had so much hope at that point. But that trailer was literally the peak of the trilogy.

That trailer was like getting a sonogram of your first kid where you're so excited and hopeful at their potential, and the movie was like having a baby that wasn't cute at all and just really annoying because all it did was cry and crap all over you while not letting you sleep. The trilogy was like that kid growing up to be a hipster d-bag that makes you wonder where you went wrong and how to disown them and start over.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TFA on opening night remains my favorite movie-going experience as an adult, from the people I was with, to the buzz of the crowd, to the product on the screen. I get a lot of you despise the ST and I'm not interested in the argument, but TFA is the #1 US movie of all time for a reason. it's awesome.
tamusc
AG
GD it, that trailer stills gives me chills.
mazag08
AG
Well my kid came out cute as hell, so he's already delivered more than the sequel trilogy did.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Jeremy Bulloch, original Boba Fett, died.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-55358301
Quad Dog
AG
My favorite moment of TFA was sitting next to my 6 year old son in a theatre. When Rey intercepted the light saber at the end he literally jumped out of his seat onto his feet. I had to grab him to pull him back down.
C@LAg
Shai-Hulud said:

Jeremy Bulloch, original Boba Fett, died.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-55358301

SPOILERS!!!!!
C@LAg
Ulrich
TFA was exactly what it needed to be in tone and theme. Plot could have been a little more... not A New Hope, but I still loved the movie and rewatch it from time to time.

If the rest of the trilogy had kept the themes and essential Star Wars-ness going while branching out a bit on the plot front, TFA would have aged a lot better.
MGS
Anybody else go see Meet Joe Black on opening night just to be the first to see the trailer for Phantom Menace?
fig96
AG
No, some of us have taste and went to see The Waterboy.
TCTTS
AG
Enemy of the State for me.
dave99ag
AG
MGS said:

Anybody else go see Meet Joe Black on opening night just to be the first to see the trailer for Phantom Menace?

All I remember about that movie was being on a date and laughing my ass off when Joe got plowed by a car. Date was unenthused.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
TCTTS said:

Wish I had gotten the preview to any of those mentioned, but I actually bought a ticket to Wing Commander just to see the trailer for TPM.
Belton Ag
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

TCTTS said:

Wish I had gotten the preview to any of those mentioned, but I actually bought a ticket to Wing Commander just to see the trailer for TPM.
So you were the one that bought the ticket for that movie.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Belton Ag said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

TCTTS said:

So you were the one that bought the ticket for that movie.
Not a highlight of my life, but I did get to see the trailer.
double aught
AG
fig96 said:

No, some of us have taste and went to see The Waterboy.
Nice
Brad 98
AG
After watching The Mandalorian last night do you think George Lucas could say we want a do over on Episodes 7-9 and we have to sets of episodes with Favreau and Filoni at the helm? I don't think I saw the same reaction from the fanboys over video like I saw on the Mandalorian thread
Saxsoon
AG
Brad 98 said:

After watching The Mandalorian last night do you think George Lucas could say we want a do over on Episodes 7-9 and we have to sets of episodes with Favreau and Filoni at the helm? I don't think I saw the same reaction from the fanboys over video like I saw on the Mandalorian thread
7-9 isn't changing
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brad 98 said:

George Lucas isn't in charge of Star wars anymore.

TXAG 05
AG
Plus it would never be right without Carrie Fisher. We are stuck wondering what could have been instead of the 3 wastes of movies that we got.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Ha!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Should go without saying but let's try to keep Mandalorian spoilers off this thread for at least today, just in case people who haven't seen it yet wander in here.
Saxsoon
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Should go without saying but let's try to keep Mandalorian spoilers off this thread for at least today, just in case people who haven't seen it yet wander in here.
I dunno, I thought it was pretty hot when the the Vader and Padme force ghosts started making out.
Farmer1906
AG
Saxsoon said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I dunno, I thought it was pretty hot when the the Vader and Padme force ghosts started making out.

Couldn't believe headless Jango reanimated as well.
First Page Last Page
Page 1005 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.