Star Wars Discussion Thread

4,374,599 Views | 36940 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by dave94
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Farmer1906 said:

I Listened to the audio books. I enjoyed them quite a bit.


The writing style really lent itself to being an audiobook. P

Absolutely yes.

And I'd love to see Mister Bones. One of the best things accomplished in the new Star Wars novels is taking lame things from canon and making them awesome. Mister Bones being a great example.
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PatAg said:

tamusc said:

PatAg said:

Wtf is aftermath


The book trilogy set post ROTJ.

https://www.amazon.com/Aftermath-Star-Wars-Trilogy/dp/1101885920
So it's canon, that sucks. We already had great stories for after RoTJ in book form if they wanted to go that route.
It seems like a poor choice to have movies/tv shows story lines restricted by books (I'm sure they aren't very good either)


Assuming you meant Thrawn, the books were completely undone by the prequels, so adapting them was never in the cards anyway. You got him in TCW and will see him in live action soon enough as well.

In any case the other media does a really good job at staying in the fringes. Nothing there is essential to knowing what's going on if you just watch the movies. And they've shown in very limited slices that they're willing to overwrite books. The account of the siege of Mandalore and Order 66 in the final season of TCW was completely different than what was previously written in the Ahsoka novel (based on then-unproduced TCW episodes). Not sure if they're going to fix it in future printings or not.
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Farmer1906 said:

I Listened to the audio books. I enjoyed them quite a bit.


The writing style really lent itself to being an audiobook. P

Absolutely yes.

And I'd love to see Mister Bones. One of the best things accomplished in the new Star Wars novels is taking lame things from canon and making them awesome. Mister Bones being a great example.
Needing Counting Crows to put out a song called "Mr Bones" to go with it.
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AliasMan02 said:

PatAg said:

tamusc said:

PatAg said:

Wtf is aftermath


The book trilogy set post ROTJ.

https://www.amazon.com/Aftermath-Star-Wars-Trilogy/dp/1101885920
So it's canon, that sucks. We already had great stories for after RoTJ in book form if they wanted to go that route.
It seems like a poor choice to have movies/tv shows story lines restricted by books (I'm sure they aren't very good either)


Assuming you meant Thrawn, the books were completely undone by the prequels, so adapting them was never in the cards anyway. You got him in TCW and will see him in live action soon enough as well.

In any case the other media does a really good job at staying in the fringes. Nothing there is essential to knowing what's going on if you just watch the movies. And they've shown in very limited slices that they're willing to overwrite books. The account of the siege of Mandalore and Order 66 in the final season of TCW was completely different than what was previously written in the Ahsoka novel (based on then-unproduced TCW episodes). Not sure if they're going to fix it in future printings or not.
I meant it sucks that they basically waste any story potential for Wedge after RotJ apparently.
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Carrie was an absolute smoke show. I'm always floored when I see her in candid stuff like this.
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wow, that's fantastic. Thanks for posting.
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Carrie was an absolute smoke show. I'm always floored when I see her in candid stuff like this.
She was. So hot.
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If only the story itself was even remotely worthy of all of this incredible art...


https://www.ilm.com/visual_development/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-developing-a-heart-of-darkness/
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I still can't get over the plot of the ST in general, and the fact that they resurrected Palpatine like they did.
gougler08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just got done rewatching the ST and actually think TROS is worse than TLJ. The first half of TLJ is pretty good (until Canto Bight) whereas TROS just seems flat all across the board outside of good action scenes, which of course JJ Abrams will deliver
I Have Spoken
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TROS is the most soulless SW movie. So underwhelming.
twilly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
exitone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

If only the story itself was even remotely worthy of all of this incredible art...


https://www.ilm.com/visual_development/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-developing-a-heart-of-darkness/
I had saw this yesterday morning and was really impressed with the art work. They built a fantastic world here showing the Sith temple, etc. A lot of really cool stuff. But the execution in the movie was horrible. It all came across as a bluish dark haze to where you couldn't see all the awesome detail shown here. The concept art shown here is what we should have seen in the movie.
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I Have Spoken said:

TROS is the most soulless SW movie. So underwhelming.
This is a good way to describe it.
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

I still can't get over the plot of the ST in general, and the fact that they resurrected Palpatine like they did.
There was a plot?
Saxsoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
God I swear Rian Johnson slept with some of your mothers with the space he occupies rent free in your heads.
Decay
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I loved some parts of it too. They did new things with the Force, they made some nice Han cameo/callback things happen with Adam Driver, they played around in a wrecked Death Star, they almost killed Chewie in a heartbreaking and meaningful way... damnit I'm getting grumpy again because it's so obvious they were all set to kill Chewie but chickened out.

Sweet pictures though.
Fenrir
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Who is railing on Rian?
Ulrich
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Fenrir said:

Who is railing on Rian?

It's not a non sequitur, he's subverting expectations.
Saxsoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It was the gif posted about last Jedi
Saxsoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://instagr.am/p/CIpljtuj5ae
twilly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Saxsoon said:

It was the gif posted about last Jedi


Well, you're the one that called him a mother****er....
israeliag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Saxsoon said:

https://instagr.am/p/CIpljtuj5ae


Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good commentary on ESB and more footage.

Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Today is the 5th anniversary of the release of The Force Awakens. (And the beginning of the new Disney era.)

Man...remember how exciting that time was? I know it's only five years, but it feels like forever ago. It's weird to feel nostalgia towards a time in your adult life, but I do.

I took the train into Manhattan and got in line at the Lincoln Square IMAX, the only true IMAX screen in the city. I was there about two hours early (and seats were assigned), but there was already a bunch of people there. We just stood around and talked about Star Wars, and eventually a news crew showed up and started interviewing people. I was actually interviewed and I have no idea what the hell I said, but luckily that footage of me has never popped up that I've seen.

There's nothing quite like the lights going down before a new Star Wars movie. And I'll never forget the feeling on that particular night, since it had been 10 years since the last SW movie at that point. And it was probably just a fraction of the excitement that the older fans felt in 1999.

Walked around the city after the movie and checked out the Rockefeller tree and the GIGANTIC Star Wars billboard in Times Square. Fun night.
Malachi Constant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG


This trailer represented the sum total of lifetime Star Wars Hype for me. Born in '83 (the year ROTJ came out), it had been a part of my life since the beginning.

This might be my favorite trailer of all time. The movie was good. The ST was bad.

Edit: damn, even five years later I have a slight tear in my eye after Maz's line "The force, it's calling to you... just let it in."
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This trailer takes me back to trying to get a ticket for about 2 hours when all sites had crashed...
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

***** Thread Index *****

Page 79: First teaser trailer for The Force Awakens (11/28/14)

Page 104 / 108: Celebration 2015 / The Force Awakens teaser #2 drops (4/16/15)

Page 201: Official poster is released (10/18/15)

Page 208 / 212: Tickets go on sale / The Force Awakens Final trailer drops (10/19/15)

Page 333: Opening night of The Force Awakens (12/17/15)
In case anyone else feels like reminiscing, here's the relevant pages.
mazag08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Blatant Disregard said:



This trailer represented the sum total of lifetime Star Wars Hype for me. Born in '83 (the year ROTJ came out), it had been a part of my life since the beginning.

This might be my favorite trailer of all time. The movie was good. The ST was bad.

Edit: damn, even five years later I have a slight tear in my eye after Maz's line "The force, it's calling to you... just let it in."
Nothing will beat the moment the main star wars theme, played slowed down and super intense over a shot of Kylo and the Knights of Ren.

That movie had so much hope at that point. But that trailer was literally the peak of the trilogy.
Malachi Constant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
mazag08 said:


Nothing will beat the moment the main star wars theme, played slowed down and super intense over a shot of Kylo and the Knights of Ren.

That movie had so much hope at that point. But that trailer was literally the peak of the trilogy.
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

This is going to be the biggest movie of all time. Absolutely no question.

Abrams + Star Wars is the perfect marriage. Based on that footage alone, he's bringing an energy to the franchise we've never seen before.

WOW.


Still #1 even after Endgame. (Domestically of course.)
CoachRTM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was on a Disney cruise, and we were some of the first people in the world to see it because they released it to us the night before so that everyone on the ship could get a chance to see it before the end of the cruise.

I was so freaking pumped that entire day. It almost ended up being a Star Wars themed cruise - Darth Vader and storm troopers came out and took photos and walked around the ship. We got an email before the cruise telling us and as a result, Star Wars clothing was everywhere and people were dressed up as characters all week.

It was crazy and a lot of fun.
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
mazag08 said:

Blatant Disregard said:



This trailer represented the sum total of lifetime Star Wars Hype for me. Born in '83 (the year ROTJ came out), it had been a part of my life since the beginning.

This might be my favorite trailer of all time. The movie was good. The ST was bad.

Edit: damn, even five years later I have a slight tear in my eye after Maz's line "The force, it's calling to you... just let it in."
Nothing will beat the moment the main star wars theme, played slowed down and super intense over a shot of Kylo and the Knights of Ren.

That movie had so much hope at that point. But that trailer was literally the peak of the trilogy.
I remember dragging my coffee table over so I could sit about 6 inches from the TV for the trailer debut during Monday Night Football.

Have to disagree with the above, the best part of the trailer is Rey saying "There were stories about what happened" and seeing/hearing Han Solo saying, "It's true, all of it."
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Agreed. Seeing Han freaking Solo on screen again after so long, with that line, was amazing. Definitely best part of the trailer.

Just re-watched the trailer. Great trailer. Good movie. Cluster**** of a trilogy though.
First Page Last Page
Page 1004 of 1056
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.