Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,968 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't follow Star Wars outside of the movies. And I didn't know if there was some kind of fan-favorite, pre-ANH or post-ROTJ Rogue Squadron from a line of Legends books or what. Considering I had literally never heard of Rogue Squadron comics or games or whatever before Thursday, it's not a very unreasonable question.
Ag Since 83
AG
The four book series by Michael Stackpole starts 2.5 years after ROTJ and follows this basic premise:

1. New recruits join the squadron, training, first missions, Wedge has to teach them to be a team, etc
2. The liberation of Coruscant
3. The aftermath of book 2. The Imperials intentionally left the New Republic Coruscant with some major problems, a squadron member is on trial for treason, the main character is believed to be dead although he's really trying to escape Imperial prison
4. They all resign their commissions and go after the bad guys because the New Republic won't let them do it officially

I'm delighted to see Jenkins say the books will have influence. I would love it to be in this era but it wouldn't surprise me if they did it post episode 9. Given what Jenkins said about her after, I could really see the movie leaning into a lot of the Top Gun style training and team building like in book 1.
Ag Since 83
AG
For a little more context:

https://andrewliptak.substack.com/p/star-wars-rogue-squadron-michael-stackpole?utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web&utm_source=copy
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TCTTS said:

I don't follow Star Wars outside of the movies. And I didn't know if there was some kind of fan-favorite, pre-ANH or post-ROTJ Rogue Squadron from a line of Legends books or what. Considering I had literally never heard of Rogue Squadron comics or games or whatever before Thursday, it's not a very unreasonable question.
I need you to set aside 16-18 hours later this week to take my "Are You a Star Wars Fan or Not?" exam to continue posting on the board. It has 750 multiple choice questions, 14 essays, and a one-act play component.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

The four book series by Michael Stackpole starts 2.5 years after ROTJ and follows this basic premise:

1. New recruits join the squadron, training, first missions, Wedge has to teach them to be a team, etc
3. The aftermath of book 2. The Imperials intentionally left the New Republic Coruscant with some major problems, a squadron member is on trial for treason, the main character is believed to be dead although he's really trying to escape Imperial prison
4. They all resign their commissions and go after the bad guys because the New Republic won't let them do it officially

I'm delighted to see Jenkins say the books will have influence. I would love it to be in this era but it wouldn't surprise me if they did it post episode 9. Given what Jenkins said about her after, I could really see the movie leaning into a lot of the Top Gun style training and team building like in book 1.
Your summary and this picture makes me want to take the week off from work and read them over.

TrustTheAwesomeness
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

TCTTS said:

I need you to set aside 16-18 hours later this week to take my "Are You a Star Wars Fan or Not?" exam to continue posting on the board. It has 750 multiple choice questions, 14 essays, and a one-act play component.
I suggest you listen to Star Wars Minute podcast (all episodes) to prepare for the exam. It provides a pretty thorough synopsis of the source material.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
If you can't give me 500 words on who Kar Vastor is, you're not ready for it.
Red Five
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Ag Since 83 said:

Your summary and this picture makes me want to take the week off from work and read them over.

My copies are almost falling apart I've read them so many times. Isard's Revenge is the only one I'm not crazy about. I think I actually prefer the Wraith Squadron run over the original Rogue Squadron. Starfighters of Adumar might be my favorite though. Just a really fun stand alone story.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I don't have any of them anymore. My brother bought me the Thrawn trilogy a month ago and he and I are reading them and discussing every week while we play disc golf. I would love to see a longform article on the creation by Zahn - it's amazing how much leeway they gave him, particularly because we're talking 1989-1992 ish for develoment and release.

By 1992, Lucas would have seen what ILM had done for Jurassic Park and started working into his head about the special editions and the prequels, but the EU just blew up starting with the Thrawn books.
ArmyAg2002
AG
Red Five said:

MuckRaker96 said:

Ag Since 83 said:

My copies are almost falling apart I've read them so many times. Isard's Revenge is the only one I'm not crazy about. I think I actually prefer the Wraith Squadron run over the original Rogue Squadron. Starfighters of Adumar might be my favorite though. Just a really fun stand alone story.

Not a big fan of reading on my kindle, but you snag all the books for $60. Mine are falling apart too. On the plus side my 11 year old is reading the books.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
One of the real victims of no Celebration 2020 were artists commissioned to create original artwork that would have been on sale for the thousands of fans in the Exhibit Hall last summer.

Star Wars.com announced today it is putting the whole exhibit online for your viewing and buying starting December 15. Some of these are really bad ass if you are a fan take a look and maybe support one of the artists.

Man, there's a lot of us here that this really calls to.

And yeah, I bought my first piece of Star Wars art in October, and this is definitely going to be #2.

YouBet
AG
I don't remember Ahsoka having an owl. Was that Rebels thing and I just haven't seen that yet?
jeffk
AG
Yeah, a Rebels thing mostly but it's in the final episode of Clone Wars too.
YouBet
AG
jeffk said:

Yeah, a Rebels thing mostly but it's in the final episode of Clone Wars too.
Don't remember that at all in final TCW episode and I'm just watched it a few weeks ago. May have to go back and check that out.
jeffk
AG
CW spoiler: It's real quick in the background above Vader in the final scene if I remember right.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Random, but now that they're moving away from the "A Star Wars Story" moniker, I really hope they go back and rename Rogue One to just Star Wars: Rogue One.

I always thought the "A Star Wars Story" sub was so lame.
TCTTS
AG
Agreed. Do you remember what it was before "A Star Wars Story"? Initially, there was a few months where they had a different moniker for all the planned spin-offs, then I remember they changed it and we all hated the change, but I can't remember what the original was. Either way, "Star Wars: [Title]" is the best by far. Simple and clean.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Pretty sure it was Star Wars Anthologies, which even that was better.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This is good *****

TCTTS
AG
This is going to bug the crap of me. I can't find it online anywhere. This isn't it, but it was something like "Star Wars Legends: Rogue One." Or "Star Wars [Something]: Rogue One." All I remember was that the the "Star Wars" part of it came first. Then they changed it and we all hated "A Star Wars Story."
TCTTS
AG
Yes! That was it!
TCTTS
AG
Found the original logo...

Chipotlemonger
AG
Beautiful
agracer
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

This is good *****

Who will have the high ground?
fig96
AG
So much better on like every level...

But hey, at least the movie was great
AliasMan02
AG
Do you want Rogue Squadron to be a Rebel story or a NR story?

I think the most interesting time would be to set it in the few months after Hoth. Luke is absent and the fleet is scattered, with Wedge taking his first command without much help from the brass to keep them together and focused. If you trust Patty with it, you could even have Luke with a very small/limited role.

If not that, then I think you have to go post-Endor which probably means no Wedge. 6 months after Endor he ends up embroiled in the Aftermath story and wounded/grounded.
PatAg
AG
Wtf is aftermath
tamusc
AG
PatAg said:

Wtf is aftermath

The book trilogy set post ROTJ.

https://www.amazon.com/Aftermath-Star-Wars-Trilogy/dp/1101885920
PatAg
AG
tamusc said:

PatAg said:

Wtf is aftermath

The book trilogy set post ROTJ.

https://www.amazon.com/Aftermath-Star-Wars-Trilogy/dp/1101885920
So it's canon, that sucks. We already had great stories for after RoTJ in book form if they wanted to go that route.
It seems like a poor choice to have movies/tv shows story lines restricted by books (I'm sure they aren't very good either)
Duncan Idaho
I hope they set it at a time when Mr Bones can make an on camera appearance.

YouBet
AG
How do you go from Anthologies to A Star Wars Story?

The former isn't fantastic but it's simple and makes sense. The latter is pure give up throwaway. So lame. Glad they moved on.
Farmer1906
AG
I Listened to the audio books. I enjoyed them quite a bit.
tamusc
AG
They are actually pretty good, especially the second and third one. The first has some odd writing quirks, but decent story.

All three are great in audio book form as they are recorded like a radio drama with music and sound effects.
tamusc
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

I hope they set it at a time when Mr Bones can make an on camera appearance.

That would be awesome.
Duncan Idaho
Farmer1906 said:

I Listened to the audio books. I enjoyed them quite a bit.

The writing style really lent itself to being an audiobook. P
First Page Last Page
Page 1003 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.