* * * Boardwalk Empire Season 2 Thread * * *

34,079 Views | 472 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by Heisenberg
Big_Russ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Arnold Rothstein was awesome yet again.

The whole scene at the armory was nails. Really excited about how the story will play out with all parties.
The D
AG
Rothstein in the next episode shooting the Tommy gun!!
funky07time
Great episode. Love where this is going with 4 episodes left in the season...old guard vs. new school, Jimmy getting a little (or a lotta) power drunk, more Chalky. For some reason, I'm with the Nucky, Rothstein, Torrio side over Jimmy, Al, Lucky, Lansky.
OnlyForNow
AG
D, that was Nucky shooting the tommy gun.
zap
AG
"The pups have grown fangs."

Looks like Van Alden is still on the take.

Nucky looking to the IRA and using Chalky to screw with Jimmy will be interesting.

[This message has been edited by Zap (edited 11/14/2011 7:00a).]
Catch
AG
The whole Nucky heading to Belfast to set up weapons trading with the IRA thing seems like a ripoff of Sons of Anarchy to me.
circa87
AG
So jimmy threw Doyle off the balcony because he was pissed after what Eli told him and then doubly pissed that Doyle brought manny, correct?
OnlyForNow
AG
I think he threw him off to show Manny that "he's a man" kinda a coming into his own deal.

Did Doyle die?

[This message has been edited by OnlyForNow (edited 11/14/2011 7:57a).]
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
"The whole Nucky heading to Belfast to set up weapons trading with the IRA thing seems like a ripoff of Sons of Anarchy to me."

That immediately came to my mind, too. I hope the results aren't the same for me: I got bored with those episodes and stopped watching SoA and have never picked the show back up since then.
HtownAg92
AG
The Rothstein scene in the stable was also awesome. His line about the manure smell while doing business in a stable, then his "I know" look he gave to the young punks was incredible.

In the preview scene for next week, it also looks like Chalky enlists the loudmouth from the jail to work for him. That should be cool. Guy knows how to hurl an insult.

I'm a bit turned off by Jimmy's role now. When he was the calculating and quiet bad@ss, he had a coolness to his character that disappears when he is giving speeches as the new Nucky. He brought it back a little with his ice cold stare and throwing Doyle off the balcony.
zap
AG
I thought I heard Doyle groaning, so I think he is injured, but alive.

The SOA Belfast episodes were painful, but that season rallied huge (especially in the finale.) This season has been good, I recommend getting back to the show if your viewing schedule allows.

I forget why the IRA showed up to talk to Nucky earlier this season?
riz
AG
I think they were on a fundraising "tour"
Stive
AG
quote:
That immediately came to my mind, too. I hope the results aren't the same for me: I got bored with those episodes and stopped watching SoA and have never picked the show back up since then.

I'll echo what Zap said. The season finale from last year made up for a fairly weak season, and this season has been AWESOME!!!

I thought about the SOA thing when he was considering Ireland, but quickly dismissed it. I don't view HBO (and the guys who put the HBO shows out) as a group that would hijack other network's/show's story lines. Ireland was a major player in the prohibition era and it makes sense that Nucky would view that as a great opportunity to secure imports (irish whiskey). He obviously already has IRA contacts (the people looking for donations earlier in the season), his bodyguard, and to a much lesser extent, his "companion".

I think it's a LOT more plausible for Boardwalk to have an Irish component than for SOA.

The Jimmy thing with Doyle confused me too. Why is he hung up on Manny being at the party? He's a business associate...was there when they first had the conversations about taking over (the hijack in the middle of the night), etc. It just seemed like he was being stupid about everything.

I saw the preview and recognized the black guy but couldn't place him. Man....I thought that guy was dead or maimed beyond recognition after that jail scene. Seems a bit far fetched to bring him back around as a major player.

OnlyForNow
AG
I think, and I'm using this non-literally and just figuratively... Manny is being a "Jew" about the 5k/booze Jimmy owes him.
The Big12Ag
Remember when Manny insulted Jimmy with the hunting story? I am sure that had something to do with the anger.
Thunder18
AG
quote:

That immediately came to my mind, too. I hope the results aren't the same for me: I got bored with those episodes and stopped watching SoA and have never picked the show back up since then

epic fail, the season 3 finale totally made up for 3-4 slow eps in Ireland
Bunk Moreland
yes, Jimmy threw Doyle over the edge to try and give Manny the picture that he isn't a little ***** who will hide behind daddy's leg while daddy does the shooting. He was pissed about that insinuation and annoyed with the entire Eli thing, and Manny always showing up asking about the debt.

This should get interesting in a hurry.

I second the notion that the armory scene was outstanding.
Stive
AG
quote:
the season 3 finale totally made up for 3-4 slow eps in Ireland

That episode is one of my top 5 all time episodes of any series.

Spaceship
AG
Another episode tonight.

Just to confirm, was it the tall Irish guy (McGar-something) that was killed at point blank as Nucky drove away? The following conversation seemed to indicate that, but I didn't see if it was him for sure.

Jimmy is getting drunk with power while Nucky is quietly working behind the scenes. I see Nucky bouncing back this season if he can avoid his legal troubles.

Only three episodes left this season.
Bunk Moreland
*EDIT*...yes, that was the guy who they killed.

Sorry for it sounding like a jackass response.

[This message has been edited by Bunk Moreland (edited 11/21/2011 7:27a).]
Spaceship
AG
Thanks a-hole.
Stive
AG
quote:
of course that was the guy that was killed. It couldn't have been more obvious

Jack ass response.
Stive
AG
When the jewish guy was trying to get Manny to open the door, as Manny started walking to the door, I told my wife "You're not gonna want to see this".

THE most predictable thing about this show is that there will be one gratuitous stab/slice/cut/cleaver-to-the-head moment in every episode.

OnlyForNow
AG
She can't handle a scripted cleaver to the noggin?

I predict, Manny is shooting Richard (shown in the next weeks previews).

That's what I think leads up to Jimmy, looking like sheet and driving the booze haul. Jimmy's wife and son are strangely absent from some episodes, ive noticed.

The polio twist is weird, and I wonder if they're doing it to bring nucky and margret closer together.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
When Manny and the assassin were struggling, my wife said "he's a butcher, surely he's got a meat cleaver somewhere."

Sure enough........
LHIOB
AG
Eli will end up killing the new DA to get back on Nuckys good side and save his own ass.
Thunder18
AG
I think Manny is gonna shoot Jimmy's wife. I'd rather her die than Richard
Catch
AG
quote:
I think Manny is gonna shoot Jimmy's wife.

I got that same impression from the preview, but they are pretty good at misdirection in those things.
Stive
AG
quote:
She can't handle a scripted cleaver to the noggin?

Nope. She can't stand blood/guts/violence in movies/shows. Even last night she wasn't really watching the show. She was playing on her lap top but knowing she might have been glancing at it out of the corner of her eye, I warned her.

OnlyForNow
AG
Thunder, what made you think it was his wife? Same could be said for me thinking it was Richard.

Although she is a much more minor character than Richard at this point; having another lesibioic relationship with that writer.
Btron
AG
Manny scene was awesome, what a bad ass jew! I love seeing Jimmy fall apart. No one respects him except a couple of *****s. His reign on the top is about to be short. But I'm sure there will be some twist to keep him around.
Chalky White continues to have the best scenes both acted and the dialogue. The choice of words and how they are delivered is just awesome.
WTF? Polio? That was a weird twist.
PatAg
AG
I must be the only person that is underwhelmed by chalky white. I love that dude as Omar, but I don't really like him as Chalky(or his terrible turn in Community).
Thunder18
AG
I dunno, for some reason I just see them killing her off and that's why jimmy looks all forlorn and crazed when driving the truck. i'm probably wrong though
dport2009
AG
"Let's not kid ourselves here. When people like you want to win, you come to people like me." -Nucky

Badass line and so true.
Alan Stanwyck
AG
I can't decide who I want to be on top. Jimmy is starting to get annoying, but a part of me wants him to succeed.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.