Someone shot at Donald Trump

17,565 Views | 222 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Sea Speed
Complete Idiot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Has it been mentioned how he got the rifle up to the building or roof? Was it hidden in something, if so what?
maroon barchetta
713nervy said:

Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

it was to impress jodie foster

This is my freaking favorite thing to come out of this thread. I don't know the backstory and I don't want to bc it will ruin the joy it brings me.

Do you not know the reason Jodie Foster is mentioned?
713nervy
AG
No! Don't tell me!
maroon barchetta
713nervy said:

No! Don't tell me!

But you need to know so you can trust but verify any Jodie Foster memes that show up.
AggieArchitect04
AG
He writes music now…

https://youtube.com/@johnhinckley6860?si=asxkbXpGrbAL955a
Wolfpac 08
AG
maroon barchetta
Not clicking that.
Furlock Bones
AG
Not knowing why Jodie Foster would be referenced in this scenario is something.
Complete Idiot
Furlock Bones said:

Not knowing why Jodie Foster would be referenced in this scenario is something.
I mean I get it, because I'm old. In fact I am proud of the text I sent to friends on Saturday asking "how hard do you think Jodie Foster is F5'ing right now asking oh please not again?"

BUT - that was 41 years ago.

FORTY

ONE

approaching half a century. Yes, it's out there in pop culturism but it's old.
Aggie Dad 26
i'm 44 and don't understand the reference
713nervy
AG
I'm 38.5. Here's what I've gathered based on this thread.

John Hickley (who now makes music) attempted to assassinate Reagan (trust but verify) to impress Jodie Foster.

Am I right?
713nervy
AG
HOLY CRAP IM RIGHT

I CANT BELIEVE he believed the attack would impress Jodie Foster. That's fricken amazing.
swc93
AG
Quote:

Hinckley was reportedly seeking fame to impress actress Jodie Foster, with whom he had a fixation after watching her in Martin Scorsese's 1976 film Taxi Driver. He was found not guilty by reason of insanity and remained under institutional psychiatric care for over three decades.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hinckley_Jr.#cite_note-foxnews.com-3][3][/url] Public outcry over the verdict led state legislatures and Congress to narrow their respective insanity defenses.
Hinckley shot a man named Ronald Reagan. He was a famous actor and spent time as a President back in the '80's.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Trying to impress 12 year olds, dude
nai06
AG
Sounds like there was a ladder there. Maybe it's kept there normally?

Wolfpac 08
AG

Trying to impress 12 year olds, dude

/skran
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
713nervy said:

I CANT BELIEVE he believed the attack would impress Jodie Foster. That's fricken amazing.

She was super into it, I heard
Complete Idiot
I don't know if people in 1981 immediately assumed a political motive behind Reagan's assassination attempt, but I don't think people were all ate up by the "other side is evil" type of politics that now seems to occupy the brains of roughly 10-15% of Americans whose discourse seems to represent about 90-95% of what is out in public online space.

When Reagan was shot, democrats visited him in the hospital and prayed for him and the nation united behind OUR president. Because assassinations are awful for the country, no matter who is President and what you think of them.

If you want a window into Hinckley's brain (you probably don't), here's a letter he wrote to Foster right before leaving to shoot Reagan::

https://www.famous-trials.com/johnhinckley/533-letter

If you read the wiki page about the assassination attempt, it's wild. Fired 6 shots from like 25 feet in 2 seconds. 3 of the first 4 shots hit other people, critically injuring one (Brady). Shots 3 and 5 did not hit any people. The final shot, shot 6, ricocheted off the side of the armored limo and into Reagan's left abdomen, stopping 1 inch from his heart.
Ogre09
AG
You think it's only 10-15% who think the opposing side is evil? Sure seems higher to me.
Ogre09
AG
713nervy said:

HOLY CRAP IM RIGHT

You're too old to just be learning about this
Complete Idiot
Ogre09 said:

You think it's only 10-15% who think the opposing side is evil? Sure seems higher to me.
I mean it's just a guess by me, based on people I directly interact with at work and in my personal life. I'm talking about the people who couch nearly every topic with some sort of political slant - you bring up a movie, and they discuss the political slant to it. You bring up a sport, and they discuss the political slant to that league. You mention where you are going on vacation, and they mention the politics prevalent in that area. You discuss a car you bought and you are again educated on the political ramifications of your decision. You know, crazy political people. I don't even think 15 out of 100 people I interact with are that possessed by it, but I could be wrong. BUT, that 10-15% is VERY vocal and dominates online political discourse to the point you can feel everyone must be consumed by politics to the degree they think one side has all the right answers on every topic. But you get out of the online space, out into the real world, and most people are not that politically crazed.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
I was doing alot of this comparison yesterday

gabehcoud
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG

look at this alpha male. Probably no bulletproof vest on, just the ears of the men he killed in nam on a neckless under there. Pulls out an uzi when things goes south.
TyHolden
AG
nsfw....words....but awesome

Aggie Dad 26
Did you even make it to 5 posts with that username? You're currently at 3
Aggie Therapist
AG
Please join me in prayer and may God watch over Donald Trump
Wolfpac 08
AG
nai06
AG
As more information comes up, I'm leaning towards this wasn't actually politically motivated at all. Seems like the shooter was depressed and wanted to go out in a way that would make people remember him. Trump happened to be the most convenient target that he had looked at. It's like suicide by cop but in an extreme manner.

I just find the whole thing sad.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
nai06 said:

As more information comes up, I'm leaning towards this wasn't actually politically motivated at all. Seems like the shooter was depressed and wanted to go out in a way that would make people remember him. Trump happened to be the most convenient target that he had looked at. It's like suicide by cop but in an extreme manner.

what information came up that led you to this? I haven't seen them release practically anything about the kid or how this happened. Just the SS blaming the locals. Why did a depressed kid have an encrypted cellphone?
swc93
AG
Quote:

Why did a depressed kid have an encrypted cellphone?
Do you use a passcode to get into your phone? Facial recognition? Why is your phone encrypted? What are you hiding?!?

The kids phone likely spent more time in transit than in the FBI lab to crack it.
Aggie Therapist
AG

nai06 said:

what information came up that led you to this? I haven't seen them release practically anything about the kid or how this happened. Just the SS blaming the locals. Why did a depressed kid have an encrypted cellphone?

Because kids are smart as hell these days. Mental health issues don't make you stupid. He was hyper-fixated and on a mission.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
swc93 said:

Quote:

Do you use a passcode to get into your phone? Facial recognition? Why is your phone encrypted? What are you hiding?!?

The kids phone likely spent more time in transit than in the FBI lab to crack it.
I honestly have no freaking idea on how to get an encrypted cell phone. What are you talking about?
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Aggie Therapist said:

nai06 said:

Because kids are smart as hell these days. Mental health issues don't make you stupid. He was hyper-fixated and on a mission.
Dont understand what you mean? His intelligence has nothing to do as to why he has an encrypted cellphone. For what purpose?
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
swc93 said:

Quote:

the fbi was talking about how they couldnt crack it for two days. probably a lie, but that's what they said.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.