Let's talk select baseball

50,420 Views | 428 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Al Bula
Charpie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Beer Baron said:

Can someone cliff notes this thread? Why is it still here?

1. The OP states that his kids gonna play select baseball.
2. Baseball dads give advice.
3. Bo "hey I paid to eat out some Russian hookers snatch" Darville trolls the crap out of the baseball dads
4. ?!?!?!?
5. Now everyone is butthurt
Baseball-Junkie
As long as my son has a healthy passion, we're good. That can be red rover, dodgeball, jump rope, hiking, fishing, etc. He really does enjoy fishing right up there with baseball, so we try to fish a lot as well. I allow video games in moderation, but wouldn't allow for him to play games all day long. I also wouldn't allow him to be a competitive eater, pothead, etc. even if those were his passion.
Baseball-Junkie
Bo Darville said:

Baseball-Junkie said:

SF2004 said:

Baseball-Junkie said:

SF2004 said:

Baseball-Junkie said:

SF2004 said:

Baseball-Junkie said:

Bo Darville said:

My kids are 4 and 7. If you care about how "good your kid is" at that age you're a ****ing loser.

You can get a good idea of who's going to be good at the age 4/T-ball level. By 7, there is a huge difference in the rec/LL and select ball players. Now, caring about it and holding your kid back are two different things. If they suck, it's cool. If they're good and want to play better baseball, but you hold them back, you suck.

Watch the 7 year old Austin area Orange Crush team and then go watch your local LL.

You ever think the rec leagues got gutted because of people like you monetizing kids for profit?

Nope. They're getting gutted from stupid rules (no lead offs, USA bat regulations, practice rules, base path lengths, etc.), horribly ran leagues and not being able to address the talent level differences.

The free market is working. Better products have emerged and gutted the stubborn, archaic name brand.
Sure thing Uncle Rico.

When you lose an argument and you're down to four word, name calling replies.

Nah... Bo did all the heavy lifting on this thread.

He hasn't done anything other than troll by supporting mediocrity, generalizations and showing his complacent tendencies. While most everything I've said -- I believe -- I am having a little fun here, too.

"We hold kids to a B average"

Wasn't me. Your reading comprehension and memory aren't too good. I can see why you support mediocrity.
Baseball-Junkie
Bo Darville said:

Baseball-Junkie said:

Bo Darville said:

SF2004 said:

This thread delivers.

Passion my ass. If junior came home and said no more baseball... I need a PC so I can be a fortnite pro. It's my passion Dad!

Not to mention the fornite world champion won $3MM.

Remember guys if coach had put these guys in they would have won state and been drafted!

I asked him this earlier. He dodged it.

Who dodged it? I already told you that my boy plays video games and addressed the issue for you.

I asked if you would support them with time and financial support if their passion was video games and they wanted to pursue that with a goal of making it professionally. You dodged.

I didn't dodge it. I've addressed it multiple times because, again, your memory and/or reading comprehension skills are lacking. I play video games with my son. I've spent a ton of money on Stubs for the Show 19 for him. He plays video games. I have no problems with video games in moderation. You can read my post above that addresses it as well.
Joe Exotic
AG
You are aware you can pursue video games professionally AND live a healthy physical lifestyle right?

Basically you only care about your sons interests if they match your own.
Joe Exotic
AG
Fine let's drop professional video games as an example since you seem clueless as to what it entails.

Let's say your son's passion was coding and he wanted a high end computer and associated training, time, and financial support to pursue this passion, would you let him drop baseball and facilitate it?
Baseball-Junkie
Bo Darville said:

You are aware you can pursue video games professionally AND live a healthy physical lifestyle right?

Basically you only care about your sons interests if they match your own.

Do you have a little Aiden that's a budding professional gamer or is that your passion? I never knew you were Bayside, but it's making a lot more sense now. Are you going to teach your son about your passion of prostitution? Hopefully, he'll play some sports, court the women and can get in for free -- unlike his Dad.
Baseball-Junkie
Bo Darville said:

Fine let's drop professional video games as an example since you seem clueless as to what it entails.

Let's say your son's passion was coding and he wanted a high end computer and associated training, time, and financial support to pursue this passion, would you let him drop baseball and facilitate it?

That's fine. I dabbled with a little Qbasic and C++ back in the day. While it's not my job, and I've moved more to web based code, I enjoy tinkering with html, css, java, etc.
Joe Exotic
AG
When your only defense is a call back to an obvious troll from 2 years ago you've probably lost the argument.
Baseball-Junkie
Bo Darville said:

When your only defense is a call back to an obvious troll from 2 years ago you've probably lost the argument.

Pot, meet kettle. Are you sure you're not an Alinsky radlib?
agsalaska
AG
No ***** I still do not understand why people enjoy trolling boards.

Bo has been stuck on, and I have no idea why I am responding to an obvious troll, a comment made several pages ago from a guy who said his players have to maintain a B average in order to play. Of course he then sticks to it like glue, even though every coach I ever played for had similar standards. I bet he pulls for A&M football players.....NM.

He tried to stick to a JUCO comment as well not realizing the role JUCO plays in baseball. When he finally realized he just had a hot internet opinion he let it go.

Not sure why Bo decided to become a troll. And also not sure what it takes to enjoy being one. But oh well.

Select baseball is a great thing for a lot of kids. It is too much for some. The vast majority of parents handle it the right way and do it for the right reasons. A few do not. But the guy who posted the video of the Orange Crush team had a good point. My son wants to play on that field. So do his teammates. They get bored out of their minds in rec league.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Elko is a loser and we will be buying him out for some obscene amount of money in two years. - Agsalaska

jja79
AG
I have a son who played in college. He and some of his former teammates charge select team parents stupid money to give lessons a couple of nights a week.
Charpie
AG
What do you mean, become? It's what he does. And y'all fall for it every single time.

But here is something else to keep in mind..consider the audience. This is the GB. Ain't not one taking anything serious here.
SF2004
AG
Sign your kid up on my team, practice three times a week, private lesson once a week, tournament every weekend, pay me thousands of dollars, and let me play with your wife's cans!

Do all this and Junior will get a Juco scholarship worth $3.50.

If you do anything less then you are accepting mediocrity.
Baseball-Junkie
SF2004 said:

Sign your kid up on my team, practice three times a week, private lesson once a week, tournament every weekend, pay me thousands of dollars, and let me play with your wife's cans!

Do all this and Junior will get a Juco scholarship with $3.50.

Or:

Put my kid on a great team, pay the coaches nothing other than tourney fees/extra umpire fees, practice with the team twice a week, practice with my son all the time, play in tournaments when our team votes on playing in them and grooming my son to bang beta boys (you) significant others.

Do all this because my son wants to and for no other reason.
03_Aggie
Baseball-Junkie said:

SF2004 said:

Or:

Put my kid on a great team, pay the coaches nothing other than tourney fees/extra umpire fees, practice with the team twice a week, practice with my son all the time, play in tournaments when our team votes on playing in them and grooming my son to bang beta boys (you) significant others.

I thought it was because LL sucks. Something about how they're mismanaged because they wont let you drop in your select team and would make you subject them all to a draft?

I know it isn't the length of base paths because they are all pretty much the same at 7u. Maybe it's the need to use a USSSA bat so it appears little Johnny has some pop.
Baseball-Junkie
03_Aggie said:

Baseball-Junkie said:

SF2004 said:

Or:

I thought it was because LL sucks. Something about how they're mismanaged because they wont let you drop in your select team and would make you subject them all to a draft?

I know it isn't the length of base paths because they are all pretty much the same at 7u. Maybe it's the need to use a USSSA bat so it appears little Johnny has some pop.

For us, it's because the level of play at LL sucks. You don't learn anything, get better or even have fun with that level of mixed play. The rules for 9U+ LL suck as well -- it's not real baseball. And yes, the USA bats are horrible and the bat standards are a joke.
Baseball-Junkie
03_Aggie said:

Baseball-Junkie said:

SF2004 said:

Or:

My son doesn't play 7U. I only posted that 7U video in regards to another poster having a kid that age -- to show them the difference in play.
dcAg
My sons werent that great at baseball. Their middle school had two teams and the second season the other team recruitied all of the good players from our team. The coach built a baseball training facility, hired an ex professional baseball player to run it and hired a bunch of ex minor league and college players as instructors.

We won the championship the next season.
Baseball-Junkie
dcAg said:

My sons werent that great at baseball. Their middle school had two teams and the second season the other team recruitied all of the good players from our team. The coach built a baseball training facility, hired an ex professional baseball player to run it and hired a bunch of ex minor league and college players as instructors.

We won the championship the next season.

Facilities, instruction, practice and dedication matter. That's a great story!
Joe Exotic
AG
SF2004 said:

You didn't get the memo. AlaskaAg claims that juco scholarship is worth millions because he will definitely be drafted rather than being another wash out loser athlete.
Joe Exotic
AG
Charpie said:

What do you mean, become? It's what he does. And y'all fall for it every single time.

But here is something else to keep in mind..consider the audience. This is the GB. Ain't not one taking anything serious here.

Will someone please validate Charpie for being the objective bearer of truth version of Board Cop?
Baseball-Junkie
Bo Darville said:

SF2004 said:

You didn't get the memo. AlaskaAg claims that juco scholarship is worth millions because he will defiiirrlu be drafted rather than being another wash out loser athlete.

Joe Exotic
AG
Quote:

Bo has been stuck on, and I have no idea why I am responding to an obvious troll, a comment made several pages ago from a guy who said his players have to maintain a B average in order to play. Of course he then sticks to it like glue, even though every coach I ever played for had similar standards. I bet he pulls for A&M football players.....NM.

Now we are equating D1 college football players to grade school kids who play an after school sport.

And you claim most teams have that B average rule? That's actually sad as hell. If your kid can only maintain a B maybe try less baseball and refocus his priorities on not being an idiot. I guess not being a moron isn't the select dad's passion either.
agsalaska
AG
Bo Darville said:

SF2004 said:

You didn't get the memo. AlaskaAg claims that juco scholarship is worth millions because he will definitely be drafted rather than being another wash out loser athlete.

So how do I get my kids on the path if being internet trolls? How does that work exactly?

Loser. I'm out.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Elko is a loser and we will be buying him out for some obscene amount of money in two years. - Agsalaska

Baseball-Junkie
Quote:

You didn't get the memo. AlaskaAg claims that juco scholarship is worth millions because he will defiiirrlu be drafted rather than being another wash out loser athlete.

Do you have a quote where he said a JUCO scholly was worth millions? Do you know what it will get you, though? Some ***** you don't have to pay for. Your frustrations and anger toward athletics is understandable.
Joe Exotic
AG
For starters they need to be able to switch on a computer. May or may not be doable with a B average.
Joe Exotic
AG
Baseball-Junkie said:

Quote:

Do you have a quote where he said a JUCO scholly was worth millions? Do you know what it will get you, though? Some ***** you don't have to pay for. Your frustrations and anger toward athletics is understandable.

But you did pay for it with all the select garbage and "training" and bats made of solid gold. Same amount in a 529 would be worth more. And they wouldn't have to embarrass themselves at a JUCO. With a B average.
Baseball-Junkie
Bo Darville said:

Baseball-Junkie said:

Quote:

But you did pay for it with all the select garbage and "training" and bats made of solid gold. Same amount in a 529 would be worth more. And they wouldn't have to embarrass themselves at a JUCO. With a B average.

You are back to conflating things or having more trouble with reading comprehension. My son doesn't play baseball to gain anything other than to have fun and win what is at stake for the current season. If that leads to something down the the road, great. If that leads to nothing but great memories of select ball, it's time and money well spent.

When you talk trash about JUCO players and I respond -- that has nothing to do with my son or select ball. I am just letting you know that I understand your incel (outside of paid) like animosity.
DadAG10
Baseball-Junkie said:

When you talk trash
Speaking of trash, did you get your can put away this week?
03_Aggie
Baseball-Junkie said:

You are back to conflating things or having more trouble with reading comprehension. My son doesn't play baseball to gain anything other than to have fun and win what is at stake for the current season. If that leads to something down the the road, great. If that leads to nothing but great memories of select ball, it's time and money well spent.

Sounds like he'd thrive just fine in LL then. I mean that's exactly the reason it exists.
Joe Exotic
AG
But then he couldn't use the super awesome bat. Even though he plays just for fun.
Baseball-Junkie
03_Aggie said:

Baseball-Junkie said:

Sounds like he'd thrive just fine in LL then. I mean that's exactly the reason it exists.

There is nothing fun about LL baseball at this point of time. Kids have to fear throwing the ball to kids who can't catch, you learn nothing by kids who can't hit, you get no competition while pitching, etc. Again, the bat standards and rules are insane as well. It serves a purpose, but it's not competitive or even real baseball. Just because my son and his team doesn't play with the sole purpose of playing college or pro ball -- that doesn't mean they don't take the game seriously. They're out to have fun and to try and crush the other teams. They want to practice and play a lot of tournaments. LL doesn't allow much practice time and is very limited in games.

I am old and played LL, but the options were much more limited back in my day. The limited options made the competition a lot better back then. Outside of T-ball, maybe a year of coach pitch and a fun hangout for kids who wants to play baseball once a week -- the only redeeming quality is the All-star aspect.
Joe Exotic
AG
"Bat standards".

I remember playing little league with friends and not giving a **** about the ****ing bat at 9 years old.
Baseball-Junkie
Bo Darville said:

But then he couldn't use the super awesome bat. Even though he plays just for fun.

You missed "and WIN." They play to win and winning is fun. You can play to win without aspiring to be Yordan Alvarez or Mike Trout. Little League is a *******ization of baseball at the anything past 9U. That's where you get the gamer parents trying to get little Aiden off the sticks, so they force him to play baseball, making LL unbearable in the process.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.