Let's talk select baseball

48,501 Views | 428 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Al Bula
Joe Exotic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The point of the question, which seems to be flying over your head, is that every one of these select yokels claims they do it because its Colton's passion or his dream or whatever other **** they can make up. But if Colton came home and decided he wanted to dedicate himself to competitive video games or coding or theater or some other nerd **** like that there's zero chance they invest the same time and money into it as they do the select garbage.
Bonnettecj1
Funny you say that because we have our daughter in drama classes, that cost us about as much as select baseball does. Nice try to play gotcha.
Joe Exotic
AG
Bonnettecj1 said:

Funny you say that because we have our daughter in drama classes, that cost us about as much as select baseball does. Nice try to play gotcha.

And the time commitment? And when it conflicts with Colton's 7 tournaments in one weekend?
Joe Exotic
AG
And I'll ask you the same question. So if your kids told you they wanted to quit baseball, dedicate themselves to e-sports in hopes of making it to League of Legends would you buy him a $2,500 gaming computer and let him dedicate the same amount of time to it as he did baseball?
Baseball-Junkie
Bo Darville said:

The point of the question, which seems to be flying over your head, is that every one of these select yokels claims they do it because its Colton's passion or his dream or whatever other **** they can make up. But if Colton came home and decided he wanted to dedicate himself to competitive video games or coding or theater or some other nerd **** like that there's zero chance they invest the same time and money into it as they do the select garbage.

That's just you projecting. I've spent a good amount of money on my son's Diamond Dynasty team for the Show 19. You know why? Because he likes playing that as well. I like doing things that makes my kid happy. Would I allow him to play video games all day? No. because it's not healthy to sit on a game console all day long.
Joe Exotic
AG
He wouldn't do it all day, as you said. You could also get him a stand up computer monitor stand, or a gaming chair with lumbar support. You could also send him to gaming camps (these exist).

You would do this right?
Bonnettecj1
Bo Darville said:

Bonnettecj1 said:

And the time commitment? And when it conflicts with Colton's 7 tournaments in one weekend?

We drop her off at the nearest corner and tell her to have fun walking because we have a tournament.

We're you touched by your coaches or something? Your level of hatred for youth sports is something else.
Joe Exotic
AG
I don't have an issue with youth sports. They are good for physical development, promote healthy activity, and teach valuable social skills. They are also just plain old fun. But as I said before, all things in moderation. Anything taken to the excess can be harmful or limiting for a child or young adult.

The parents are just sad and make easy punching bags.

Of course, I may have to change my mind since I didn't realize these kids were being held to rigorous academic standards like a B average.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
This thread seriously lacks a sense of humor.

For all the "pro-select" people, your kid sucks at sports and will never make the majors ( and will probably burn out by age 15), you're wasting your money, you're all horrible, and no one cares.

For the "anti-select" crowd, your kids suck too, what families decide to do with their time and money is their business, you ought to be pouring lots of money into that Xbox because it's the device that will be raising your child, and your kid will be a burned out failure by high school too.

Deal with it.
BenFiasco14
AG
blindey said:

This thread seriously lacks a sense of humor.

For all the "pro-select" people, your kid sucks at sports and will never make the majors ( and will probably burn out by age 15), you're wasting your money, you're all horrible, and no one cares.

For the "anti-select" crowd, your kids suck too, what families decide to do with their time and money is their business, you ought to be pouring lots of money into that Xbox because it's the device that will be raising your child, and your kid will be a burned out failure by high school too.

Deal with it.
I'm just seriously disappointed that the OP wasn't raked over the coals more for being an unironic internet tough guy... inviting people in the thread to come to the Woodlands so he can kick their ass.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Joe Exotic
AG
Odds he drives a lifted F-250 but never tows anything?
03_Aggie
Baseball-Junkie
Bo Darville said:

The board contrarian, agitator and busy-body, ladies and gents. I bet you're the president of your HOA.
PhatMack19
AG
Bo Darville said:

And I'll ask you the same question. So if your kids told you they wanted to quit baseball, dedicate themselves to e-sports in hopes of making it to League of Legends would you buy him a $2,500 gaming computer and let him dedicate the same amount of time to it as he did baseball?
No, because I don't believe sitting in your room alone talking to strangers on the internet has the same benefits as getting outside and playing youth sports.
Bonnettecj1
That certainly wasn't my best look
Joe Exotic
AG
PhatMack19 said:

Bo Darville said:

No, because I don't believe sitting in your room alone talking to strangers on the internet has the same benefits as getting outside and playing youth sports.

Most of these kids play with real life friends and class mates. Tournaments are held in facilities in which all gamers are present and usually sitting across from each other. And it's sad you'll deny them their passion and dreams.
Bonnettecj1
Nope. Drive an Altima and wife has a pathfinder. Wrong again.
Joe Exotic
AG
Baseball-Junkie said:

Bo Darville said:

The board contrarian, agitator and busy-body, ladies and gents. I bet you're the president of your HOA.

Seeing as how we don't have an HOA...
Baseball-Junkie
Got my new radar gun in and I love it. If you see a dude clocking and scouting (for our team notes) your kid at a tournament, it could be me. I really do like the gun, and if you're in the market, it's a bargain. With that said, I am posting it to stir the pot a little bit.

ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
EclipseAg
AG
Bo Darville said:

if Colton came home and decided he wanted to dedicate himself to competitive video games or coding or theater or some other nerd **** like that there's zero chance they invest the same time and money into it as they do the select garbage.
There is a smidgen of truth in this.

I was involved in select soccer for about 10 years (my daughter played). While some of the same issues exist, they weren't as bad -- in my opinion, obviously -- primarily because the dads didn't care as much.

They never played the sport, didn't really understand it, and didn't care how it all turned out for their daughters as long as DD was happy. And the moms were even less invested.

Still, they paid and participated. They just didn't take it as seriously as baseball families appear to do.

Having said all that, I think select sports can be beneficial for kids in lots of ways, as long as there is an understanding that it's a hobby and most likely will not lead to scholarships and greatness.
Unemployed
AG
Seven freaking pages and no boobs?

Thread fail.
03_Aggie
I feel like there's lots of boobs on this thread.
Baseball-Junkie
Here:

Canyon99
Bonnettecj1 said:

You tried that earlier in the thread, as well.
Baseball-Junkie
You guys that are too lazy to dedicate some time for your kids or those who have unathletic kids -- how do you spend your time on the weekends? Y'all watch SpongeBob and Dancing with the Stars? Maybe a little Rachael Maddow?
Joe Exotic
AG
Well let's see. I bought the 7 year old his own kayak this summer and he was pumped when we mounted a rod holder in it so we fish together for a few hours on the weekends we are home. A couple of weekends a month the whole family heads out in our travel trailer to a state park where we also take our kayaks, and hike, and have a campfire, and enjoy the outdoors. When we are home I play video games with him fairly often and I take the chance to have him read the subtitles, problem solve, and make quick decisions. Living on acreage in the country we also have time to ride his atv and roam all over the place. This weekend we will go to Fort Worth and spend half the day at the museum and hit the zoo. On Sunday we may spend the whole day fishing again. On Monday we will hang by the pool and he and his brother will help me get started on a treehouse I'm building for them since the temps are dying down. I vary their experiences. I try to immerse them in as many things as I can. And always moderation in everything.

Other than that, we don't do a whole lot.
Baseball-Junkie
Bo Darville said:

Well let's see. I bought the 7 year old his own kayak this summer and he was pumped when we mounted a rod holder in it so we fish together for a few hours on the weekends we are home. A couple of weekends a month the whole family heads out in our travel trailer to a state park where we also take our kayaks, and hike, and have a campfire, and enjoy the outdoors. When we are home I play video games with him fairly often and I take the chance to have him read the subtitles, problem solve, and make quick decisions. Living on acreage in the country we also have time to ride his atv and roam all over the place. This weekend we will go to Fort Worth and spend half the day at the museum and hit the zoo. On Sunday we may spend the whole day fishing again. On Monday we will hang by the pool and he and his brother will help me get started on a treehouse I'm building for them since the temps are dying down.

Sounds like an excessive amount of time spent fishing. He's probably not going to have his own fishing show or find the red tagged fish, so you're just wasting your money.
Joe Exotic
AG
I think 3 hours fishing a week, if that, is hardly excessive. Only reason we may for the whole day is because it's Labor Day weekend.
03_Aggie
Bo Darville said:

Well let's see. I bought the 7 year old his own kayak this summer and he was pumped when we mounted a rod holder in it so we fish together for a few hours on the weekends we are home. A couple of weekends a month the whole family heads out in our travel trailer to a state park where we also take our kayaks, and hike, and have a campfire, and enjoy the outdoors. When we are home I play video games with him fairly often and I take the chance to have him read the subtitles, problem solve, and make quick decisions. Living on acreage in the country we also have time to ride his atv and roam all over the place. This weekend we will go to Fort Worth and spend half the day at the museum and hit the zoo. On Sunday we may spend the whole day fishing again. On Monday we will hang by the pool and he and his brother will help me get started on a treehouse I'm building for them since the temps are dying down. I vary their experiences. I try to immerse them in as many things as I can. And always moderation in everything.

Ahem...

Joe Exotic
AG
Haven't had much time for that lately. And the two WW2 vets I used to spend time with sharing that hobby passed away. Kinda lost a bit of the enjoyment for me.
Eagle2020
AG
You can do both, enjoy the outdoors and play baseball. My son grew up hunting and fishing, playing baseball, football, basketball, and running track. By the time he got to high school he only played football and baseball but we always find time for the outdoors. He killed his first deer when he was seven and had killed many nice bucks by the time he was twelve. We always find time to run down to the fishing cabin in the Land Cut. I enjoy watching him sight cast a redfish or put an arrow right behind the shoulder of a deer. But that feeling doesn't compare to seeing him hit a line drive home or an opposite field double. But whether we are in a deer blind, wade fishing in Baffin, or he is on a baseball field, these are all part of enjoying and living life. The time in between the living is just existing. So whatever a dad does with his children to live life, that's a good thing.
lespaul
AG
My son is a currently a senior and he has played select since he was 8 .
I know the select world thoroughly, the good, bad, ugly and disgusting.

A few thoughts:
* The select coaches trade money for dreams of scholarships. Every select coach has his 'scholarship speech' where he tells the parents why he is best qualified to get your kid to the next level (so give him money).

* I've seen tons of kids get scholarships, but honestly, never to a school academically I would send my kid to.

* I was always the outlier in that I didn't care about potential scholarships (I would tune out the scholarship speeches). I knew my son didn't want to play college ball. He probably is good enough for a small school, but he is done with baseball. He throws out recruitment letters.

* My advice is don't play select for a scholarship... it is a losing bet every time. There are reasons to play select, but a scholarship isn't one of them IMHO.

* We encouraged our son to play select so that he would have a sport and a sense of belonging in HS. It worked out well. His buddies are all baseball players and he hangs out with them constantly. Believe me, there were times he wanted to quit select when he was younger. He has told us recently he is glad we had him stay in as playing a sport is important in HS.

* As in all youth sports, the equation is talent+politics. We have seen lots of BS and politics. It used to bother me but now I don't care. What position my son plays, does he start, where in the batting order, batting avg.. I really don't care. It isn't important. It's just baseball and it will be over soon, none of that stuff matters. Just try your best, be a good teammate and have fun.

* On the positive side, my son has played in tons of stadiums (HS/College) all throughout Texas. I have built awesome relationships with many of the other parents and have watched their kids grow up. Tons of time driving around with my son which I cherish. I drive around Texas now and I frequently say 'we played a tourney here, we stayed there and we ate dinner there'. Great memories.

* It is sad you have to specialize (join select) so young nowadays. I can tell you, if you aren't playing select, it is really hard to make a HS team. You can get left behind really quickly. Sucks.

* It stinks that it is 'all in' or 'all out'. You can't dabble in this. It is almost every weekend, almost year round. Last summer, my son really got tired of the grind. I wish it wasn't so intense. If everyone chilled out a bit, we would all be in the same place. As it is, you run the risk of getting left behind if you don't dive into the raging river of select.

* I am glad my son did it and I will always have lots of great memories. It basically defines his childhood in a large way. With that said, I am looking forward to next summer and relaxing on weekends and having a nice lawn. Again, since my son is fairly tired of it all, so I am not going to miss it.

* Overall, I wish folk (parents, coaches) would relax a bit and put baseball (sports in general) into perspective. People make it seem much more important than it really is. For 99% of kids, it is over after HS (at the latest). There seems to be a mass delusion that kids are going to go play in the majors. Big fish, little pond lots of times.

* When I meet parents with younger kids just starting the select craziness, in some ways I envy them and in some ways pity them. They are in for lots of driving, frustration, overgrown lawns, money spent etc, but they are also going to spend tons of great time with their kids and make awesome friends. As long as their kid likes baseball, it is worth it.
diehard03
Quote:

Overall, I wish folk (parents, coaches) would relax a bit and put baseball (sports in general) into perspective. People make it seem much more important than it really is.

I think your comment about the importance of playing a sport in HS is part of the problem as well.
lespaul
AG
diehard: how so? Not saying you are wrong, just want to understand where ur coming from.

We all want our kids to fit in socially. I don't want my kid to go to school, then come home without any connection to a group. Right or wrong, sports is a common way boys fit in and connect. With that said, I wouldn't care if they had gone another route (band, FFA etc). The only thing I find unacceptable would be to do nothing. Unfortunately, that is exactly what kids often want to do (sit in their room and play video games).

I wish school wasn't that way, but it is what it is. I have another son who is special needs, so I've seen things from another perspective as well.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.