Let's talk select baseball

48,491 Views | 428 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Al Bula
ORAggieFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big Tuna said:

JoeAggie5 said:

OP is it possible that some of us have had experience with select baseball and are giving you advice?

You live in The Woodlands. Have you even been to the Scrap Yard or Baseball USA yet on a tournament weekend to have a clue what you're getting into?

You seem to want to us to justify your decision, here is a serious response.

IF you are not a sponsor or coach, or no f***ing kidding your wife doesn't have big cans, you're kid has to be by far no questions asked the best player, if not prepare for him to play outfield and bat 6th or later regardless of kids' abilities.

Select Baseball is not unreasonably priced except for a few groups, BUT that's just the baseball part (tournament fees, practice rental fees). Where the sport has gone totally nuts is all the coordinated bags, equipment, specific bats, Mom's getting matching outfits, earrings, dad's having to buy a hat, team shirt. Chip in for this team "event". Houston teams that travel to Alabama for a "World Series". There is so much talent in Houston, no reason to have to travel that far for a tournament.

For an actual tournament, not always BUT expect to play a couple of games on Saturday, pay for parking Saturday and Sunday (at least at Scrap Yard and Baseball USA). You will miss entirely or fall asleep during Aggie game, get a text at 10:00PM Saturday night that game is at 10:00AM on Sunday so everyone must be on field by 7:30AM for warmups. IF your lucky you lose first game and go home. IF your team is good, prepare to finish Sunday evening or night. This is after 3 practices during the week.

Absolutely nailed it. I would say the sponsor/coaches son/big cans has a modicum of truth. I will say the kids who are new to the team will, without question, play in the OF and bat at the end of the order unless they are great.

My kid plays for an organization that doesn't allow coaches to coach their kids for this reason. The top teams have sponsors, but those kids are legit and the sponsorships are coming from Wilson, etc, not locals with kids in it.
Big Tuna
Baseball-Junkie said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

MAROON said:

Quote:

There are far more important things in life.

you think people who watch their kids play a few tourneys a summer don't do anything else?

The select leagues my friends and coworkers kids play in aren't a few weekends per year.

It's still not every weekend. Do you prefer some weekend Fortnight for the kids?

It is 75% of the weekends from March to July for the good select teams #ringchasers
agsalaska
AG
Thats not the norm, though it does happen a lot.

Most teams play less than that.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Scoopen Skwert
AG

Wooahhhh
AG
I'm past that age now, I have 3 adult children.

I graduated from LL coach to travel ball coach to HS coach. All 3 kids (1 boy, 2 girls) played and pitched (felt that was important). I mainly kept the communication very blunt & clear to my kids, consistantly, "do you want to play?" My kids were honest. 2 didn't at different ages, 1 did. All I got was a trip to Motel 6 in Midland out of the deal (from Orlando, whew).

Just let them know if they don't want to be there, they don't have to be. You can not push. It appears best if they play a bunch of sports. They can while they're younger. If they want to play HS ball, then they know the deal ahead of them. Just don't force anything. The one that was recently elected to the HS Athletic Hall of Fame, never played in college. Not good enough for D1, too smart for Jr. College (43 hours of IB credit walking into UF, $$$ saved fo' sho'). But those were fun times, we had great laughs. Learn how to drive home and laugh, tell them how proud you are of them, don't b****. It's all about the situation you put your kid and yourself into. Be smart but don't be pushy.
Joe Exotic
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

My coworkers kid grew up playing select baseball. Started ninth grade at his large public high school. Didn't make the baseball team and him and his parents were crushed. Dad withdrew his kid from school and enrolled him in a small private high school not for the education, but so he could play high school baseball. The kid and his dad's entire identity revolved around playing baseball. That makes sense.

I know a lot of "parents" like this. Sad and pathetic. And more than a few that thought their kid playing juco or D3 sports were an actual accomplishment.
Big Tuna
agsalaska said:

The top select teams in Oklahoma play tournaments 75% of the weekends in the spring and summer. I am sure the same is true in Texas.
agsalaska
AG
Big Tuna said:

agsalaska said:

The top select teams in Oklahoma play tournaments 75% of the weekends in the spring and summer. I am sure the same is true in Texas.

Are the top most?

Edit- Not trying to be an ass. My point I guess is that playing that much is not the rule. There are a lot of teams, good teams, that play less than that. There are options out there that do not take that much time, though they still take up quite a lot.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
evestor1
Quote:

Absolutely nailed it. I would say the sponsor/coaches son/big cans has a modicum of truth. I will say the kids who are new to the team will, without question, play in the OF and bat at the end of the order unless they are great.

If you are not good enough to be play then you should have never been 'select'ed
Big Tuna
agsalaska said:

Big Tuna said:

agsalaska said:

Are the top most?

Edit- Not trying to be an ass. My point I guess is that playing that much is not the rule. There are a lot of teams, good teams, that play less than that. There are options out there that do not take that much time, though they still take up quite a lot.
No, I understand your point.

We were not a top select team. We played in A bracket for league and some tournaments, and open in other tournaments. We played in a tournament every other weekend from March to the 4th of July. My son's BFF is/was on a top select team in OK (Midwest Elite Navy). They played in a tournament every weekend this past spring in summer, with a very little exception, from March to the first week of August. There were programs equal to ours that played more tournaments than us. There were no teams equal to us (that I witnessed) that played tournaments less than 50% of the weekends.

That was my experience.

Again, I liked the coaches and parents. I liked the kids. I abhorred the loss of an entire spring and early summer to a sport my son didn't really like. I cannot imagine a select team from The Woodlands playing less than an average select team from Tri-Cities, Oklahoma.

JoeAggie5
The OP said it was a "startup" team. I took this as a number of kids who have played rec together, friends, etc decided to start a "select" team and they had a spot or two.

OP needs to understand unless his son is the next Jeter, then he should expect his son to bat later in the lineup and he needs to start learning outfield. This won't happen if the OP is a sponsor, a coach, or his wife has big cans. He needs to understand that if one of the coaches or sponsors has a fat kid, that kid is playing 1st base regardless of talent.

This is what I would expect from a startup team. Not an established select team/organization with multiple age groups / teams, that has a good system as some others have mentioned. Even some established teams it is like that.

Not all select baseball is awful as I have painted it out to be, my sons will do it again when they are older if that's what they want to do, but we'll make sure to do our homework.

In The Woodlands, I'm sure the OP is correct that the league is gutted of talent. SKSA in Spring has similar issue, but I have found based on my experience that the talent isn't different until 2nd year of kid pitch, then it's a huge drop off.

To each their own, select at a young age just isn't for me and my family.
PipelineMoeNorman
Bring in Domingo Ayala for the win.

[url][/url]
McCoveysCove
you do not have to play Select baseball, dont let your wife get hammered by a coach who promises to bat him 4th.. Save all your money between now and when he turns 19 and you will be able to afford a 4 yeqr private college of your choice or to A&M thru graduate school. You will miss the good times and your wife fooling around on you with Coach Co*ksu**wr...play at home in your youth league and enjoy your family
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
McCoveysCove said:

You will miss the good times and your wife fooling around on you with Coach Co*ksu**wr...play at home in your youth league and enjoy your family

sounds like it's story time.
Baseball-Junkie
McCoveysCove said:

you do not have to play Select baseball, dont let your wife get hammered by a coach who promises to bat him 4th.. Save all your money between now and when he turns 19 and you will be able to afford a 4 yeqr private college of your choice or to A&M thru graduate school. You will miss the good times and your wife fooling around on you with Coach Co*ksu**wr...play at home in your youth league and enjoy your family

You shouldn't have married a transgender person who was young enough to play select baseball. You should also try and make a little bit more money where you can spend freely on the desires of your transgender spouse, and maybe she/he wouldn't be fooling around with the coach.
Baseball-Junkie
PipelineMoeNorman said:

Bring in Domingo Ayala for the win.

][

That represents Little League and rec ball much more so than select ball. Don't get me wrong, there are crazy parents everywhere, but for the most part, select parents know the game. I've never seen any fights, I've never seen anyone question a coach or any of the other crap in that video. The only truth is the Game Changer app, but nobody goes to the coach with those stats.

My son's first year in LL coach pitch: A dad is barking at the coach (during practice) because his son doesn't play T-ball anymore and shouldn't be hitting off of a tee. You could follow that up with all the other BS during the rest of the season, from other uninformed parents.
woodyhayes
Having coached little league, Babe Ruth (13-16 y.o.), and senior Babe Ruth (17-18), select at 9 y.o. is not a good thing in most cases. By the time the kid is 12 or 13, they`re done with the game. Stay in little league and let him play on their all star teams if he`s that good and play in the little league tournaments. Kid and parents will have way more fun.
Baseball-Junkie
woodyhayes said:

Having coached little league, Babe Ruth (13-16 y.o.), and senior Babe Ruth (17-18), select at 9 y.o. is not a good thing in most cases. By the time the kid is 12 or 13, they`re done with the game. Stay in little league and let him play on their all star teams if he`s that good and play in the little league tournaments. Kid and parents will have way more fun.

Outside of the All-Stars, Little League is a joke. You wan't the decent kids to play with kids who have never played, those who suck or who are just there to bs around? And if you didn't watch who just won the last LLWS, it was a select team, who jumped back into Little League play, just to win that event. They would have never won the LL World Series without select ball.

Just because your kid burned out or someone you know had a kid who burned out -- doesn't make it so for all. If my kid, your kid or any kid -- doesn't want to play anymore -- then move on. It's easy. Just because you enter select ball, you're not stuck in it. It's not a gang.
03_Aggie
Baseball-Junkie said:

woodyhayes said:

Outside of the All-Stars, Little League is a joke. You wan't the decent kids to play with kids who have never played, those who suck or who are just there to bs around? And if you didn't watch who just won the last LLWS, it was a select team, who jumped back into Little League play, just to win that event. They would have never won the LL World Series without select ball.

Just because your kid burned out or someone you know had a kid who burned out -- doesn't make it so for all. If my kid, your kid or any kid -- doesn't want to play anymore -- then move on. It's easy. Just because you enter select ball, you're not stuck in it. It's not a gang.

It you're worried about all of that from T ball to Major level then select ball is probably more about you than your kid.
Baseball-Junkie
03_Aggie said:

Baseball-Junkie said:

woodyhayes said:

It you're worried about all of that from T ball to Major level then select ball is probably more about you than your kid.

Not at all, but if you'e going to do something, do it right. If my son was at the LL level or just wanted to casually play, cool. He wants to play every day and he's pretty good, so why would I have him play down? Would you keep your kid in a crappy math class or move him up? Should you only move him up if he wanted to be a mathematician, engineer, professor, etc. or should you move him up if he's too advanced and wanted to learn more?

A lot of this thread is probably comprised of people without kids, with people who have kids and have never played select ball, people who had one bad experience and think that's the norm or people who have kids who can't play baseball too well.
03_Aggie
03_Aggie said:

Baseball-Junkie said:

Not at all, but if you'e going to do something, do it right. If my son was at the LL level or just wanted to casually play, cool. He wants to play every day and he's pretty good, so why would I have him play down? Would you keep your kid in a crappy math class or move him up? Should you only move him up if he wanted to be a mathematician, engineer, professor, etc. or should you move him up if he's too advanced and wanted to learn more?

A lot of this thread is probably comprised of people without kids, with people who have kids and have never played select ball, people who had one bad experience and think that's the norm or people who have kids who can't play baseball too well.

Thanks for proving the point.
380Ag
AG
Not baseball but we are in this stage with my daughter and soccer. I have always told her I will allow her to go as far as her desire and ability dictate. Right now that is select soccer. If she came to me tomorrow and said she is done with soccer, then we are done...When the season is over.
We are not forfeiting her academic future do this is either. Saving for college and playing youth sports is not mutually exclusive, assuming you have a non-entry level job.
PhatMack19
AG
Bo Darville said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

My coworkers kid grew up playing select baseball. Started ninth grade at his large public high school. Didn't make the baseball team and him and his parents were crushed. Dad withdrew his kid from school and enrolled him in a small private high school not for the education, but so he could play high school baseball. The kid and his dad's entire identity revolved around playing baseball. That makes sense.

I know a lot of "parents" like this. Sad and pathetic. And more than a few that thought their kid playing juco or D3 sports were an actual accomplishment.
. We had tryouts a few weeks ago. A dad that coaches another team brought his kid. They had already tried out and picked players. We had most of our team returning and are pretty good. He told me that if his kid made our team, he would drop his team because he wants his kid to play for a winning team. I just laughed in his face. They are 7
Joe Exotic
AG
Baseball-Junkie said:

woodyhayes said:

Outside of the All-Stars, Little League is a joke. You wan't the decent kids to play with kids who have never played, those who suck or who are just there to bs around? And if you didn't watch who just won the last LLWS, it was a select team, who jumped back into Little League play, just to win that event. They would

Once upon a time baseball was pure and kids grew up riding bikes to practice with a glove hanging through the handle bars. They got dirty. Had a little fun. Played some games, made memories, and then enjoyed the summer.

Sad to see youth baseball has been ruined by this select garbage. Between it and steroids on the major league level I'm not sure why anyone would call it America's pastime anymore.
agsalaska
AG
Why do you think it has been 'ruined by this select garbage.'

I disagree with that.
Joe Exotic
AG
Spend time around the parents.

Read this thread.

I'd start with those two to find your answer.
Baseball-Junkie
Bo Darville said:

Baseball-Junkie said:

woodyhayes said:

Outside of the All-Stars, Little League is a joke. You wan't the decent kids to play with kids who have never played, those who suck or who are just there to bs around? And if you didn't watch who just won the last LLWS, it was a select team, who jumped back into Little League play, just to win that event. They would

Once upon a time baseball was pure and kids grew up riding bikes to practice with a glove hanging through the handle bars. They got dirty. Had a little fun. Played some games, made memories, and then enjoyed the summer.

Sad to see youth baseball has been ruined by this select garbage. Between it and steroids on the major league level I'm not sure why anyone would call it America's pastime anymore.

Yup, I am an 80s kid, too. I loved LL, but it's not what it was. Everything changes.
agsalaska
AG
Bo Darville said:

Spend time around the parents.

Read this thread.

I'd start with those two to find your answer.
I do spend time around those parents. And I have read and participated in this entire thread. I was also at a practice last night. I see an incredible amount of enthusiasm for baseball at a very young age. Baseball is a big deal in Texas, both rec and select. That's pretty much what the entire thread was about.

Is it too competitive than most people are comfortable with at the highest levels? Probably so. Do some people take it more seriously than most people think they should? Yea everyone has an opinion. Are more kids playing USSSA and less rec? Yes they are. Do kids still live and breath baseball? Yes they do.

Joe Exotic
AG
I heard one these parents bragging about their kid getting a spot to play baseball for a junior college after high school. Years of select fees, travel, lost spring and summers, etc. And this was the payoff? Junior college baseball. Then he was thinking with a little luck he might be able to finish at a D3 school.

He was so proud. I just thought he and his kid sounded like ****ing losers. Maybe they aren't all this way.
agsalaska
AG
Of course they are not all that way.
Bonnettecj1
I don't see anything g wrong with a father being proud of his son for doing what he loves. While JUCO baseball may not be the end game for everyone, I fault that man none for being proud of his kid.

If you were to come to one of my kid's practices you would see that the love and passion for the game is absolutely there. The team he's on preaches 4 things: love God, love your country, keep a B average in school, and love the game.

A lot of the "anti-select" posters on this thread may have had bad select experiences and that's unfortunate. I think they also believe that all select parents are forcing their children to play select ball, and that is untrue. The majority of the boys out there want to be out there.

I honestly wish rec league baseball was better. I really do. But, by age 10 the rec leagues have been watered down because the kids with a higher skill level have moved up to select. The fact is that (if you live in a bigger cityI don't know what it's like in smaller towns with rec ball) the better competition is in select.

At the end of the day, if my kid comes up to me and tells me he's done, then he's done. And I'm ok with that. I can get Aggie Football season tickets again (BTHOSpav). I want him to be happy, and that's all I care about.
Bonnettecj1
JoeAggie5 said:

The OP said it was a "startup" team. I took this as a number of kids who have played rec together, friends, etc decided to start a "select" team and they had a spot or two.

OP needs to understand unless his son is the next Jeter, then he should expect his son to bat later in the lineup and he needs to start learning outfield. This won't happen if the OP is a sponsor, a coach, or his wife has big cans. He needs to understand that if one of the coaches or sponsors has a fat kid, that kid is playing 1st base regardless of talent.

This is what I would expect from a startup team. Not an established select team/organization with multiple age groups / teams, that has a good system as some others have mentioned. Even some established teams it is like that.

Not all select baseball is awful as I have painted it out to be, my sons will do it again when they are older if that's what they want to do, but we'll make sure to do our homework.

In The Woodlands, I'm sure the OP is correct that the league is gutted of talent. SKSA in Spring has similar issue, but I have found based on my experience that the talent isn't different until 2nd year of kid pitch, then it's a huge drop off.

To each their own, select at a young age just isn't for me and my family.

It's funny you mention SKSA, as that's where we played this spring. The talent there was ok, but we played Farm League this summer and the team he was on was a hot knife through butter. It was the same team he was on at SKSA. I think our run differential was somewhere close to +90. In 10 games. The closest game we played, the final was 12-3. To me, the talent level is only going to get worse from here, unfortunately, so we decided to go select.
AgShaun00
AG
main reason we do select now is it keeps my boys off of screens more. The friendships they are building is important. I rather my kid be at the bottom of the team so he knows he has to work to improve. Baseball is great at teaching life lessons of failing and learning. For my oldest, he had to mature a lot on how he handles failures.

He enjoys it and I always ask if he enjoys it. I also make sure he understands that he has to do the work to be better or he won't play.
Joe Exotic
AG
Wait a minute, these kids are encouraged to keep a B average like that's a good thing? If you can't maintain an A average in modern education with grade inflation then you probably need to rethink your priorities and step back from the diamond.

And no, I'm not going to be proud of my kid for doing "what he loves" if it's a stupid ****ing decision.
03_Aggie
Bo Darville said:

Wait a minute, these kids are encouraged to keep a B average like that's a good thing? If you can't maintain an A average in modern education with grade inflation then you probably need to rethink your priorities and step back from the diamond.

And no, I'm not going to be proud of my kid for doing "what he loves" if it's a stupid ****ing decision.

Especially with the flight to AP classes. All the parents take their smart kids to AP classes so they don't have to be slowed down by dumb dumb Johnny select ball. Lack of competition should make it quite easy to maintain an A average.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.