Ag with Cancer Class of 99 needs 2 tickets Bama

85,265 Views | 444 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by 2DollarYo
Talon2DSO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is amazing
flakrat
AG
So, um, What's up with the oldarmy1 "Dr Loftin" connection here:
Sentinel
AG
Dr. Loftin is clearly not in the video at the tailgate.
oldarmy1
AG
http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/collin/McKinney-couple-overwhelmed-by-Aggie-spirit-224020561.html

DFW News ran with the story on last nights news.

And that Dr. Loftin designation is just the Scout.com's version of rookie, veteran, all-American, etc. Nothing else.
old yeller
AG
oldarmy1, is there a place to mail a physical check (if you don't do paypal)? thanks
oldarmy1
AG

Yes - Address it to Shannon.

Appreciate it!

[This message has been edited by oldarmy1 (edited 9/17/2013 6:12p).]
old yeller
AG
for clarification, is the envelope addressed to Shannon Underwood or just the check?
ShaggyAggie01
AG
Probably should take the address down now, people are crazy.
oldarmy1
AG
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2013-09-17/texas-am-aggies-cancer-hodgkins-lymphoma-shannon-underwood-fans-Alabama

If you wish to donate please use Shannon's direct link below. I do know that their finances are in shambles from all of the costs and compounded with her having to retire from teaching.

http://www.everribbon.com/ribbon/view/5719

I provided as many names as I could and I guess Chris couldn't work them all in so let me list some that I know and I apologize in advance if I don't cover everyone.

David Poling had a connection with a ricshaw company (name?) and that company donated their services for the day to Shannon and Clay.

Rachel Dohmann with The Association of Former Students who provided Shannon with a gift bag and also had 2 sideline passes.

Dallas Shipp with Aggieland Outfitters who donated $250 shopping spree to Shannon and Clay. He also donated two sideline passes.

Shipwreck Grille - Owner Wade Beckman who walked up to my dad at the QB Club Thursday night and offered up a full spread for Shannon, Clay and the Aggie family who drove them down from Dallas.

Scott Harris - Made the initial post about needing a tailgate location for Shannon to experience the atmosphere. The most unsung hero IMO because his family of 3 took this on and DID NOT RECEIVE TICKETS TO THE GAME. I tried and tried to no avail.

Alan Bass for volunteering his tailgate and being a great host!

Emily and Charles Graves - Donated the parking pass located right up against Kyle Field.

J.L. Taylor '59 - My dad who didn't know I had volunteered his services in picking up and paying for tickets, exchanging those tickets for the Zone Club seats and meeting Charles to attain the parking pass.

The wife, Susan - For keeping me on task and organized, handling and handing off the phone calls, keeping the paypal account totals, getting the first certified check cut and for being supportive in every way possible.

Blue star for all of you and the others I most certainly missed.

FoxSports sent a text saying they are doing a story. Unbeleivable. Someone just texted that it was on BCS and Houston ABC news this evening.
aginlakeway
AG
Amazing stuff Ags ... Amazing.
adk9595
AG
This is why I love Texas A&M and our family.
old yeller
AG
done! thanks, Old Army
oldarmy1
AG
"A lot of people would give up, and I'm not going to lie, there are a lot of times I say, 'Do I really want to keep fighting?' but after this whole thing it gives me a renewed spirit to keep going, to say even when people tell you it's over, you've got to keep fighting. At the end of the day, whether I beat this or whether I don't, it's 'Did I give up or did I fight to the very end?'"- Shannon Underwood

Now who is helping whom? Wonderful, inspirational Ag!

I think it would be great if a bunch of Ags followed Shannon. She spoke of the times she is forced to be a recluse. Not in this age! Her twitter is: @TexasAggieGrad

[This message has been edited by oldarmy1 (edited 9/17/2013 9:32p).]
Paul Biegler, Esq.
AG
I love this University so much. It's the people, like all if you, that make that true.

-Lee Wilson '02
Aggie Network
Sponsor
AG
quote:
Rachel Dohmann with The Association of Former Students who provided Shannon with a gift bag and also had 2 sideline passes.

Rachel is actually with the Texas A&M Foundation rather than The Association. She's great. Lots of good folks over there.
oldarmy1
AG
Ah thanks for the clarification! And I just saw the video The Association put out. Much better than that cell phone version my wife had!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46H37JXan9A
oldarmy1
AG
Bookeeping update as promised:

Raised $13519.50

Certified check to Shannon and Clay - $6200

Balance $7319.50

$1000 check for 2 tickets leaves $6219.50

2nd certified check being cut today for $5605.13

Leaves $614.37 paypal balance to be transferred and check sent Friday.
Mantis Toboggan MD
agcrock2005
AG
I can't believe I'm this late to the most awesome thread I've ever seen. Really awesome OA1. Thank you.
oldarmy1
AG
Most of your comments being sent to Shannon, that accompanied your paypal donations:

"Good Bull Ags! Class of '70 says WHOOP!"
"Gig 'Em!"
"I grew up in Carrollton and went to the same high school as Shannon. Words cannot describe how amazing it feels to be an Aggie right now. Gig 'Em! Adam Curley, Class of '04"
"BTHO Bama!"
"Gig 'Em & God Bless"
"God Bless & BTHO Bama!"
"Enjoy the game and watch the Aggies BTHO 'bama! Ruby DLG '01"
"Enjoy the day!! WHOOP!"
"May God bless you, your family, and your friends and their family. I pray that you all have a most memorable day and that you feel the loving embrace of our Aggie family tomorrow and always"
"Top off that Aggie win with a nice dinner!"
"Fellow Class of '99 Ag here. Gig 'em! "
"A Hokie supporting the Aggies. Hope they have a great time."
"Shannon and family, While we have never met you guys, we are Aggies and hope this small contribution will help you and your battle. Gig 'em and God Bless…"
"Gig 'em, Shannon!"
"For Shannon, on behalf of class of '08 and class of '11"
"I know they have a lot already, but just read the TexAgs thread. Being from Carrollton myself, I felt like I had to help out!"
"Shannon, Stay strong and enjoy the game!! - your Aggie family
"God Bless You…Texas Aggies are the Best. Class 70"
"So glad I saw this! My prayers are with you and your family! Gig 'em Aggies!! Jeremy, Fightin Texas Aggie Class of 1999!!!! Whoop!! BTHObama"
"Shannon - my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. So glad you can make the game! Gig 'Em and BTHObama!! Sam '97"
"Enjoy the game and best of luck to you"
"God Bless her."
"Just saw the thread. Hope the family has a great time."
"Enjoy the game. I am praying for your family and for their comfort."
"For Class of '99. God Bless and Gig em!"
"Thoughts and prayers for this family…"
"Hope this helps! God Bless…."
"I know it's not much, but I just want to help. God Bless."
"Hope they enjoy the game. Be sure to post pics next week."
"I'm a recent grad so I couldn't give much, but I really wanted to help. Thank you for doing this, no one should miss this opportunity! Daniel '12
"Good luck!"
"God Bless!"
"Glad to do this."
"I believe you have already accomplished your goal, but here's hoping that they can find use for a little more money, at least some drinks or swag for the game. Thoughts and prayers are also sent.
"My heart goes out to you and your family"
"Gig 'em and God Bless! "
"Enjoy the game!"
"Prayers are with you guys…hope you get to watch the Ag's BTHObama!"
"I hope ya'll enjoy the game, Gig 'em!"
"My little part - hope it helps"
"Saw the story on reddit….happy to help! From the University of Texas, James"
You can beat this! We believe in you! Roxanne Class of '05
Get well Shannon. Matt '92
From Dubi/mr dubi on Texags
Read your story on TexAgs. As a physical therapist, I love seeing your positive outlook. Keep up the fight! Gig 'em, Tammy '99
Keep fighting!
Keep up the good fight! Never give up, our prayers will be there to keep you standing strong!
Your story is truly inspiring. I am praying that God brings peace and comfort to your family. BTHOcancer! Adam '03
Thoughts and prayers for her recovery. When they say "from the outside looking in you can't understand it, from the inside looking out you can't describe it." This is what they are talking about. BTHO cancer
Gig'em Shannon - BTHO cancer
I don't personally know you but read abt your story on texags as I was looking for tickets. I was amazed in the # of exchanges & those willing/able to help in any way so that you could truly enjoy the Aggie spirit that filled the day. Many blessings and prayers to you! From your fellow aggie '02.
Gig'em from your Aggie family and BTHOcancer!!
God bless you, Shannon. Geri '79
BTHO cancer!!
What an awesome example of the amazing family that Aggies are. One of my best friends is the teacher that took Shannon's place at RL Turner and I filled her in about this last night. Gig'em and BTHO Bama!
Have a great time at the game and all the best, prayers for you and your family. The Hokies are behind you!
Gamecock fan, saw your threads online this morning, had to contribute. Good luck against the Tide! Hoping the family's day goes amazingly.
I posted yesterday on my FB page about this…I had an Aggie swing by the bar where I work to give me this money to send you guys. So this $20 is from Tony Young from Ashland City, TN
For Shannon from my two sons Class of 2013 and future class of 2017. God Bless.
Shannon Class '01 From a Red Raider who lost a member too early to cancer - I hope she has a wonderful time!!
Class of '04, living in Korea where my husband is stationed with Air Force.
Just graduated and still looking for a job. Wish I could give more. Gig'em.
For Shannon from Bill '85 Sending strength to you and yours on your journey…I'm in California, so yell for me! BTHO Bama!! Gig'em!!
Thanks and Gig'em…BTHO Bama…all the way from Pampa Tx, Class of '06
BTHO Cancer from Class of '12!
Thank you for organizing this! I met Shannon via Pinterest a few months ago and ended up being the one who too over her French teacher position at RL Turner. It has been a joy getting to know her and I am so proud of my Aggie family for making this a special trip for her. Gig'em! Ellen '98

taylorjohnson
AG
quote:
David Poling had a connection with a ricshaw company (name?) and that company donated their services for the day to Shannon and Clay.

GoodBull Pedicab Co.

BTHOcancer!
Oh Four Five
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Very late to the party but just dropped a few bucks towards the cause.
oldarmy1
AG
https://www.everribbon.com/ribbon/view/5719

While ongoing donations should be going directly to Shannon's everribbon site linked above, we had $806 in straggler paypal payments come in and the check was just sent to Shannon and Clay.

Total over $16k via Paypal and Clay informs me that Shannon's everribon donation site has received well above $10k in connection with the event!

Keeping my pledge of full disclosure/visibility to all - and thanks again!
oldarmy1
AG
Since it all started right here I wanted to post a 1 year Anniversary message that many, including Shannon's doctors thought would never be seen.

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/local/collin-county/2014/08/19/14099668/

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/09/19/aggies-nation-rallies-around-sick-fan/

Ags - Please allow me to interrupt our excitement with Aggie football and let you know the miracle of the 12thMan. God willing Shannon will be returning to Kyle Field this coming Saturday for the Rice game. It marks the 1 yr. Anniversary of what her doctors and many felt would be her last trip to the Bama game last year.

This remarkable Aggie lady cited the outpouring of Aggie Spirit and love as the pivotal event in taking the attack to the cancer which ravaged her body. She wouldn't give up even when an experimental last ditch treatment had doctors telling her husband Clay to "prepare himself". The sores that covered her body internally and externally could not defeat what had been sparked a year ago this Saturday. She continues to deal with the after effects of the treatments and might have an oxygen tank in tow (she calls it O2D2 circa Star Wars) but her outlook remains a positive testimony to what Aggieland is all about.

If you'd care to post your thoughts, congratulations and support to Shannon this week then I encourage you to do so on her following Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/supportforshannonunderwood

If you have an interest in sending a donation to help with the immense bills then those should be sent to her Everribbon site:

https://www.everribbon.com/ribbon/view/5719
2DollarYo
AG
I'm not sure why but this thread/moment randomly came back to memory a few minutes ago. I googled and found the video and then read a news story that linked to this post.

I remember when this happened and I couldn't be prouder to be an Aggie.

Reading every single post all over again make the allergies and dust kick up again (weird how that happens). There is something to be said in the fact that Aggies take care of each other.

I also found out from the same search that Shannon is no longer with us. I never met anyone who helped in this but I can't help but feel every emotion right now in knowing that Aggies did something that couldn't be done any other place.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.