New Volleyball Coach Search

27,762 Views | 190 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by JFABNRGR
Harry Dunne
How long do you want to ignore this user?
91poohah said:

If A&M got all the top players from Houston Skyline, we would already be on the national map. We've had our fair share of great players recently (Camille Conner, Claire Jeter, Brooke Frazier, Logan Lednicky, Ava Underwood and a few others) but missed out on many of the truly elite players like the Skinner sisters, Karli Rose, Reagan Rutherford, and others. And several of the ones we did get have transferred, which happens everywhere nowadays. And the same could be said for a program that pulled all the top talent from TAV Dallas probably, or any number of other clubs across the America. But Jen and Mitch Woods (and others including Aggie Amy Houser Burk) have built Skyline into one of THE top clubs in the USA, and have been "recruiting" top players to their program since players were 12 and 13 years old. Matching playing style, court needs, scholarships and positions can be tricky at the college level, so you can't just steer everyone to one school. But I like the idea of having an inside track to the elite high school players. That being said, Bird had a great relationship with Skyline and other clubs as well, but hopefully the new regime will be able to sign a few more elite players each recruiting cycle instead of just great players. That's really all it takes, 2-3 elite players per year and couple of great players. And then keep them. And coach them.
Good post. Agree with all of it.

We should get a huge boost in recruiting in the immediate future, but as the players that they have personal relationships cycle into college we will probably retain a slight advantage because of his relationship with the club in general...but it's not realistic to think that we're going to get most or even some of the elite players unless we start winning big right away.

So I hope the dude can coach.
flintdragon
AG
I hope elite player parents will be enticed by the proximity of the school so they can watch their girls play. Some have never missed a single game.

Is NIL a thing in college volleyball? God knows how much their families have paid for volleyball so far. I'm sure the elite players families have spent over $100K+ over their career.
Harry Dunne
flintdragon said:

Is NIL a thing in college volleyball? God knows how much their families have paid for volleyball so far. I'm sure the elite players families have spent over $100K+ over their career.
Probably accurate. Our entire junior sports culture has gotten way out of hand. Not just volleyball.

taylorswift13
AG
Looks like all our incoming freshman signees have moved in! All 3 coaches helped them with the moving process as well! Glad the relationships and bonds are already forming!

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CnP9Q7ZBfXX/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y
91poohah
AG
As a father of a former Houston Skyline player that is currently a D1 player on full scholarship (in California), most club parents joke that they have already paid for college by the time their kids commit somewhere. That's probably close to being accurate sadly. But playing at the highest level nationally with traveling and coaching and everything that goes into getting a D1 scholarship comes at a price. It certainly helps to have talent, height, heart, instincts, and motivation. But the monetary cost is there as well.

Every single person on my daughters Skyline team got a D1 scholarship, and her club team was probably the most talented team she will ever play on, including her current college team. But the elite players want to play for the traditional powers, and most have committed by their junior year. And many of the great and very good players pick a school based on projected playing time. With only 6 players on a court at a time, you can look at a roster and know if your position is "taken" or "available" with most teams.

Also, the VB community is small and tight, and de-committing isn't much of a thing. Clubs preach to honor commitments, and it is rare to have players flip. However, the new era of transfer portals and NIL could be the change we need to get some players on board. I asked my daughter about NIL and she just laughs like I am an idiot. She isn't elite, but would be considered somewhere between very good and great (top 300 recruit). But it might not take a lot of NIL $ to get some interest from some families and some players.

So, who is stepping up to help our volleyball program or offering NIL deals? Maybe Houston Skyline could have an NIL deal for A&M commits? Probably not happening as clubs don't want to get labeled as only placing players at certain schools. Better for them to just be "neutral" as they are helping not just elite players find their path, but also great and very good players find theirs…

Also, it would be great to see my daughter play in person every week, but that just isn't possible. However, in todays digital age, every match is streamed live on ESPN 3 and I don't miss any of them. Playing closer to home was a possibility, but picking the right school, the right coaches, the potential playing time, and finding the right "fit" was way more important to her.
Anchorhold
Thanks for the inside family perspective in general volleyball recruiting.

So what I'm hearing is that we should be recruiting the portal harder that high schools this year and next.
Harry Dunne
Great post.

I have a question that you seem like you'd certainly know the answer to:

Do you have to play for one of these big clubs to be recruited by a D1 school? Are there any girls who play just HS VB and maybe play on a club but aren't traveling all around the country spending $100K+ that get D1 scholarships?
Shucky
It's sounds extreme, but at least 95% of the girls that play high level D1 ball are at clubs where the expectation is that you'll travel all over the country playing. There are close to zero players that don't play club (i.e, only play HS ball) and somehow get a D1 scholarship.

Jack Pearson
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Great post.

I have a question that you seem like you'd certainly know the answer to:

Do you have to play for one of these big clubs to be recruited by a D1 school? Are there any girls who play just HS VB and maybe play on a club but aren't traveling all around the country spending $100K+ that get D1 scholarships?
The answer is yes you do have to play club for 99% of players. I dont know if it gets that expensive but it is expensive. You better love it and enjoy the players/families that you play with because you spend a lot of time with them.

#1 you have to play club to develop and play against other top players. You will not be found 99% of the time if you dont. The occasional freak who can jump 10'5" might get a shot but the regular player no they will not be a D1 recruit.

#2 You pretty much have to play top level club as well. Playing for one of the big 3 in Houston (Skyline, Houston Jrs, TAV) carries a lot of weight with college coaches. There are some solid second tier clubs as well but it really comes down to the contacts of the club. If they don't have connections it will be tough to be recruited. Those 3 clubs are traveling to Chicago, Minnesota, Philly, KC, Vegas, Orlando, Atlanta etc and some teams are hitting 3-4 of those places.

#3 You really need to play Open level club to get seen and that requires traveling. Club has various levels, Open is the top followed by, USA, American and some in between that were recently added and from personal experience all the coaches from the big D1 programs gather at the open level courts at national qualifiers. You will see some at maybe the USA level but anything below that you will not see the big colleges watching. That isn't to say there isn't some D1 players on those courts, they just aren't getting seen. What you will notice is, the open level courts is where all the height is. You will see the 6'4 -6'5 girls. It is very noticeable difference, not unlike when a big D1 plays a small D1, the main difference is height. There are a lot of girls that can play that just don't have the god given height.

#4 Even with that, a player has to really send out their videos and reach out to as many college coaches as they can to get on the radar or have a club director that is feeding that to colleges.

If you ever attend a big tournament, the sheer number of girls is unreal and most of them think they are good enough and want to play in college. It is tough.

HS accolades can only help the resume but I'm not sure how much college coaches really care about them. I dont think colleges even bother talking to high school coaches either.
flintdragon
AG
What's been posted is pretty much spot on. If a girl is a high-to-elite level player, she needs to find a team that plays in the Open division. There are some good smaller clubs but their top teams tend to be USA level. From what I've seen, the best players on those type of teams tend to look to move to a different club by a certain age to join an Open team. I think there could be some exceptions such as TAV Dallas where even their 2nd team garner some D1 attention.

But also keep in mind that not all D1 programs are the same. There are tons that are not really that great and I've seen some extremely questionable recruits make a D1 program. But those families are incredibly aggressive in the recruiting process and sometimes find some luck.

I came up with the $100K+ figure based on my own kid's career. She only played at a USA level at a big club and dues, hotels and flights alone are over $10K per year. Then there are private lessons which my kid didn't do anywhere close to what the Open and more aggressive USA families did. Many do 2 lessons a week which can be as high as $170 per one hour session. On top of that, Texas families travel really well so more cost there.
aggiedrjdub
AG
These extremes are true for almost every sport I can think of these days. Soccer, baseball, softball, basketball, tennis, etc. All of the above. If you're not playing for the best clubs, the correct tournaments, and aren't surrounding yourself with those that are connected to collegiate scouts and coaches, you are already behind. If you aren't in constant contact with colleges/coaches, etc, you aren't going to be noticed. Football is different because there is so much money invested from the schools - they have the money to search high and low, and with NIL, legally pay for the best. Most other sports just cannot compete with that. Athletic scholarships are hard to come by and most programs are looking for top talent with high IQs and high grades/scores so they can spread their athletic budgets out a bit more evenly and offer a 50/50 athletic/academic pay out (or something close). Soccer, for example, is at 9.9 scholarships and usually carry a 24-28 man roster.

Regardless, I hope our coach can win some of these recruiting battles and build a consistent top 20 team!
Harry Dunne
Thanks for all the replies.

This is obviously going to be a wildly speculative guess, but of those of you in or close to the club scene, what percentage of the girls would you say are doing it because they love it and what percentage are being pushed by their parents and would not do it purely of their own volition?

Unless both parent and kid love it (and have money to burn), this seems like a miserable and low-percentage grind when the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow is just to get back all the money you already spent and there's not much money or opportunity in pro volleyball.

Jack Pearson
AG
I would say at the younger ages the % is high. Its fun and girls love it.

At the older ages, I wonder that too. I see some girls playing and spending the kind of money it takes and wonder why they are doing it.

If you are playing it for fun, I could see playing a lower level less travel intensive schedule.

If you are playing it for college by the time you are a soph or jr, you ought to be able to tell if you truly have a chance at playing at a D1 level. By that time you should be a varsity starter and making a 1st/2nd team all district team if not winning player of the year type awards. If you arent, to me as a parent I would question why I would spend the money and time to keep on that level unless there is some extenuating circumstances.

With that said there are a lot of places in college to play volleyball at lower levels and they are always looking for players too. I am sure the breakeven analysis would be a big red flag for most girls and families. Like I said you better enjoy it and almost treat it like little vacations when you are going to these places.
Shucky
Harry Dunne said:

Thanks for all the replies.

This is obviously going to be a wildly speculative guess, but of those of you in or close to the club scene, what percentage of the girls would you say are doing it because they love it and what percentage are being pushed by their parents and would not do it purely of their own volition?

Unless both parent and kid love it (and have money to burn), this seems like a miserable and low-percentage grind when the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow is just to get back all the money you already spent and there's not much money or opportunity in pro volleyball.

Complex question. I'm currently smack in the middle of it. Wife is a varsity coach. My three daughters play on top teams at a top club in Houston. I do think most of the kids love it. I think they genuinely like the game and absolutely LOVE their teams and teammates. For many of them, it's their primary social network. And they get to go to really cool places with their friends. It's not a bad gig.

Many parents have extremely unrealistic opinions (surprise, surprise) about the potential of their kids and the "return on their investment" for playing club and traveling the country. With that said, if you make it through on a top team at a top club and want to play college ball, the opportunity will be there. Just may not be at the place you want.

For some families, they truly do look at it as a down payment on college. And that can be scary and put a lot of pressure on the kids. Luckily, we're able to look at it as a HUGE cost (that may never get "paid back") that allows our kids to do something they love, travel the country, make lifelong memories, and gives them a chance to play into college. And to be able to play for their mom eventually (which has been the biggest reward--my oldest has played for her for two years). But I do realize that not all families have the ability to have that perspective because of the extreme financial burden.

One of the sad parts is: many of these kids completely burn out in college. They just hate it. So many play one or two years and give it up.
flintdragon
AG
I have 2 girls involved with the oldest being much more competitive. She absolutely loves volleyball and we as parents love the game too. But we know many parents who are there only to make sure their kid succeed and don't give a damn if the team is doing well or not. They are angry all the time which I just don't get.

As for the players, I've seen many very talented girls burn out. It's crazy how many are nursing injuries for years because there is no down time. Aug->Nov is school ball. Dec->June is club. July are camps, clinics and tryouts. You can kind of tell which girls love the game by how they play, regardless of skill level.

It's a crazy cycle which we tried hard not to be a part of. But our kid had enough talent and loved the game so much that we couldn't just put her on a regional team so our family became stuck in the cycle regardless. She was never going to be a D1 athlete (at least at a semi-decent university) and we never really invested in her recruiting process. With crazy luck, a competitive D3 program at a good academic school spotted her randomly and offered. Academic scholarship basically will help offset most (not all!) of the club costs through the years. Whew! Even the life of a D3 athlete is tough though. I can't imagine how much harder it is as a D1 athlete. No wonder many burnout in college. A huge benefit for D3 is that you can quit the team and still retain your scholarship!

One thing I noticed, as girls we knew started getting picked up by colleges, are that a higher than expected number of solid players committed to D1 as a preferred walk-on. That is nuts to me. You're ROI is mostly shot hoping for a chance at a scholarship later on, probably playing minimal rotations if any, working as hard as those on scholarship, at a school you may not even like just so you can say you have a D1 kid who will be done playing in at most 4 years.

Our younger one was on a semi-national team but this year dropped down to a regional team. There were absolutely bonker parents on the semi-national which destroyed the team (never seen anything like it). Left us scrambling to find a team for this year at a smaller club. But, we are loving it this year. Girls are nicer. It's not a competitive team but the ones still playing at this level in 16s are the ones who just loves the game.
JFABNRGR
AG
Last I checked less than 2% of TX VB players earn a scholarship of any kind...thats everything from a Happy Meal to a full ride. WE as a whole do a horrible job communicating that VB is a lifelong sport, that there are countless competitive opportunities all around and especially at any large college.

TX VB is also too long. Girls never get a break, injury and or burn out rates are too high. Much of TX Club VB also spends too much effort recruiting talent versus developing talent. Check out Indy-KY club VB, Munciana, KIVA, half dozen more spin outs that develop talent versus recruit talent to develop the club.

For A&M 2-3 impact players from Skyline isn't going to be enough to compete in the top 16. Need to be more but I am excited to see what the new staff can do over the next 3-5 years.

“You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me.”
- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.