New Volleyball Coach Search

27,821 Views | 190 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by JFABNRGR
85AustinAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They like program building, pay raise, family in Tx. Just some guesses. You gotta shoot for the moon to start with.

I think I'm safe in saying this but I believe Bork has hired all women HCs for the women's athletic program hires.
Lemmys Rickenbacker
Wicked Good Ag said:

Why would any of these coaches leave a top ten program to come to TAMU??

Coaches like money
Pioneer
flintdragon said:

I know we are all dreaming here. Going to be a tough sell to any of these coaches to leave their team for ours.

Here is my moonshot. What I noticed in the four games yesterday were the crowds. 3 out of the 4 had incredible crowds and atmosphere. 8700, 7200, 5300 attendance.

The 4th game? 3300. Lots of empty seats. The previous tournament game? 2100. What?! While this school has excellent athletics, their students and alumni don't care. Move that program to A&M, holy cow. We average around 2100 (my own guesstimate) with a cellar team.

So our next coach is Kevin Hambly of Stanford.

Haha, Hambly isn't coming to Aggieland. But maybe Minnesota…. Go get Rehr from UH.
Wicked Good Ag
Lemmys Rickenbacker said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

Why would any of these coaches leave a top ten program to come to TAMU??

Coaches like money

Of course coaches like money but to leave a top ten team you would need to break the bank. Not enough interest for that cost. We paid Bird a ton more than the Corbelli's only to go quickly in reverse all because we could not get over the hump of beating the now #1 team in the country in the NCAA tourney.
Now we are likely going to be paying more for Bird replacement than Bird herself

As much as I love Aggie VB I don't want to break the bank for a coach when it will take two to three years to build something even in the transfer portal era.
Lemmys Rickenbacker
Just curious why you care how much is paid to the new coach? Just wondering.
Wicked Good Ag
Why do people care how much Jimbo is getting paid??

While maybe a drop in the bucket compared to football this is a no revenue sport and you worry about getting value for your coaching investment.
B$Weigem
AG
Don't forget Woodward hired Bird, not Bjork. Bjork has a good track in hiring thus far.
republic_45
I had my fingers crossed for Keegan Cook and Sarah Ammerman to return to A&M, alas they are headed to Minnesota.
russaggie
AG
I'm guessing since there's still no word that means one of two things. Either our choice is still playing or just finished up this weekend, or we have been told no thank you by our first choice(s) and are working our way down the list of potential candidates.
I would think someone like Volpe would have already been announced so she could get started recruiting and retaining the players she wants.
rhp
AG
They have to post the opening first, then wait 30 days. (I think)
Gap
AG
rhp said:

They have to post the opening first, then wait 30 days. (I think)
Not at all. That is just to sign all the contracts and make it all official.

They can go out and do all the legwork and have a coach picked, negotiated, committed, and working on our behalf immediately.
Jack Pearson
AG
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/college/article/UH-Cougars-volleyball-coach-David-Rehr-contract-17649558.php

Fighting off the Ags or just trying to be proactive?
Pioneer
I'm guessing it's one of 2... Rice coach or UH coach. I think the last interview was yesterday.
Should know any day now...
aggie-1997
AG
WestTxWood88 said:

Could also be somebody from Baylor, UofH, Minnesota, Kentucky, Marquette, etc from Sweet 16. Logic says it will be announced this week so that you can get the PR of them talking about it on national TV during the Final Four this coming weekend
So are you simply speculating in all your posts or do you really know. You stated earlier that we had our coach, but never provided any additional commentary. Now you are providing a list of schools where our next coach could come from.
WestTxWood88
AG
Speculating on who it is. Was told by coach and player from other Texas schools that A&M had their coach but didn't know who it was.
flintdragon
AG
WestTxWood88 said:

Speculating on who it is. Was told by coach and player from other Texas schools that A&M had their coach but didn't know who it was.
If this is true, it feels like the longer we wait, the more amazing a hire this is probably going to be! Don't get my hopes up!
WestTxWood88
AG
Pure speculation but I'm thinking it's an assistant from one of the final 4.
Pioneer
I think it's Volpe, due to UH opening pocket books to keep Rehr.
85AustinAg
AG
Don't know if we go the AC route again but no offense to UH and Rice coaches - but I think we should aim higher.
Wicked Good Ag
After weeks of thinking I actually am fine whchever way we go as long as we build a VB facility similar to Gregory but better and use it for Vb and maybe other things. Whichever way we go the facility will be the greatest long term investment for our program

Put it where the old softball field if you want
flintdragon
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

After weeks of thinking I actually am fine whchever way we go as long as we build a VB facility similar to Gregory but better and use it for Vb and maybe other things. Whichever way we go the facility will be the greatest long term investment for our program

Put it where the old softball field if you want
was a volleyball arena part of the master plan/vision layout that was published some time ago?

edit: found this from 2013.... https://universityarchitect.tamu.edu/media/579447/Athletics.pdf
volleyball arena pretty far down the list unfortunately.
85AustinAg
AG
This is a list of under 30 year olds that are seen as up and comers. Don't know any of these but thought I'd share the list. 2022 AVCA Thirty Under 30
agballer98
AG
I will be at the Final 4 and AVCA Convention. If I hear anything for the aTm job I'll post it here,
85AustinAg
AG
I know this is Division II but West Texas A&M won the National Championship in Volleyball and their coach Kendra Potts was named COY. Kendra Potts wins Coach of Year
JFABNRGR
AG
Pioneer said:

flintdragon said:

I know we are all dreaming here. Going to be a tough sell to any of these coaches to leave their team for ours.

Here is my moonshot. What I noticed in the four games yesterday were the crowds. 3 out of the 4 had incredible crowds and atmosphere. 8700, 7200, 5300 attendance.

The 4th game? 3300. Lots of empty seats. The previous tournament game? 2100. What?! While this school has excellent athletics, their students and alumni don't care. Move that program to A&M, holy cow. We average around 2100 (my own guesstimate) with a cellar team.

So our next coach is Kevin Hambly of Stanford.

Haha, Hambly isn't coming to Aggieland. But maybe Minnesota…. Go get Rehr from UH.
I doubt Hambly is going anywhere. His heavy hitters have all committed to returning next year even with pro offers from all over the world.
“You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me.”
- Alexander Solzhenitsyn
Pioneer
Hearing rumblings of a complete shocker hire….
flintdragon
AG
Pioneer said:

Hearing rumblings of a complete shocker hire….
are we talking "ugh" or "yippee" type shocker here?
HeyAbbott
AG
Is it a current head coach or an assistant? When do you think the announcement will be made?
Wicked Good Ag
Wouldn't it be funny to see the Corbellis come back and add their son (Missouri) and daughter (Auburn) and have them take over in Two to three years.

I mean that is a shock hire
tk for tu juan
Bobby Petrino and his volleyball mistress would be pretty shocking
HeyAbbott
AG
How about Karch Kiraly?
Anchorhold
you can't possibly be hinting at someone on the wichita state coaching staff, right?
HeyAbbott
AG
That would definitely be a "shocker"
Pioneer
No to Wichita.. he has college coaching experience and Olympic coaching experience.. if what I'm hearing is true.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Wth pioneer. Tell us who.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.