****Track and Field 2021-2022****

55,020 Views | 558 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by aggiedrjdub
Anchorhold
How long do you want to ignore this user?
After last week's 800 will the Bowerman committee drop Miller down to "receiving votes" even if he wins in Eugene?
triniaggie
AG
It seems like about 23 men and 19 women are in qualifying positions for individual events for the NCAA regionals in two weeks. There are a couple of additional women who are just outside the top 48 and might have a shot to qualify if there are any scratches.
94chem
triniaggie said:

So many sub 11 and low 22 seconds in the NCAA women's 100m and 200m. Similarly so many sub 10 seconds and sub 20 seconds in the men's 100m and 200m. I am longing to see the Aggies put some amazing times in the men's and women's 100m and 200m. Hoping we can see some of this by next year.

We have a very good 2022 recruiting class but we still need to build some depth in some areas. We need some important long and triple jumpers on both men and women's side (to replace Acquah and Zhane) and maybe a few women throwers from the transfer portal or Junior College who can score at SEC's and Nationals.

On the distance side we have done very well with the crew we have but if we can get 1 or 2 top distance runners who can contribute nationally can only be a positive step for the program and recruiting. It could have been a dream come through to get Natalie Cook here to contribute and help with recruiting top distance runners but I guess her family and others don't think highly of our distance program. Maybe a couple of international distance runners could be the key.
Maybe the Humphries twins can be persuaded. Can you imagine one school sweeping the 1600 at state? Flower Mound swept the 1600 and the 3200 with 4 different runners en route to their state title in 6A. Their 2nd and 3rd place finishers in the 1600 are sophomores, and the 3rd place finisher in the 3200 is a freshman, although her time was pretty pedestrian. She was probably immune to the Natalie-Cook/State-meet/Hero-complex that seems to afflict the distance runners at state.
taylorswift13
AG
I'll pray for the day we geta Humphries or even the Morefield sisters of Lovejoy… there's o much distant talent in this state, one gotta choose us
wangus12
AG
taylorswift13 said:

And they've had her listed as a multi this whole season, yet she didn't compete in one. Last year was she was attempting 6'6 at the conference multi high jump, this year she struggled to barely get over at 5'10 and couldn't go any further… but hopefully she's enjoying 6th street, homeless people, and traffic
Gotta wonder if the teasip boosters are pleased with their return of investment for paying her off to come there. Its been an epic bust
taylorswift13
AG
All that money for (checks notes) one 2nd place finish indoors. If she had that same productivity as she did last year, she wins Texas a national championship but she failed to do so. So that's a poor return on investment. We'll see if she can help them win a title outdoors but I don't think her contribution will enough.

For her sake and as a former fan, I hope she gets away from the tu coaching as she goes pro and goes on to focus on the Heptathlon. She will be losing out on many opportunities and money if she stays with them. Her career is taking a weird turn, I hope she has some good people in her ear.
taylorswift13
AG
Also what happened to the DIE HARD AGGIE TRACK FANS who just so happened to join this board as she quit to defend her… I was looking for more track fans to discuss this season with
Anchorhold
I think you used too much common sense for them back then.
taylorswift13
AG
Surely they weren't lying about being big Aggie track fans LOL, their presence would have been a lovely addition this track season
wangus12
AG
They probably became the biggest A&M track fan you ever knew when Mu won a couple gold medals abd became a house hold name
Anchorhold
That's just sad for them. I started watching / paying attention to the team during outdoors last year, long before the olympics.
aggiedrjdub
AG
taylorswift13 said:

And they've had her listed as a multi this whole season, yet she didn't compete in one. Last year was she was attempting 6'6 at the conference multi high jump, this year she struggled to barely get over at 5'10 and couldn't go any further… but hopefully she's enjoying 6th street, homeless people, and traffic

Why the heck did Gittens leave? I am honestly trying to understand. Was she upset that Mu got more attention than she did? Did she just want to continue her education? Did she feel the coaching is better at tu? WHAT WAS IT? I cannot imagine leaving a coach and a school that fought so hard for you, to go directly to your bitter rival for a chance to win a team national title maybe? IDK. Weird. What are the answers @taylor?

Also, and I would like to point out, that for many foreigners coming in, they don't really relate to rivalries, etc. Some of our best friends are from Canada and Germany, and they've said they cannot relate to or understand the school spirit and rivalry aspect of college. They truly look at it as an education and a stepping stone only. So, maybe Tyra has sincere intentions and tu has taken advantage of her image to make it sting a little bit more for us?
Gig'em Aggies! c/o '98 W H O O P!
RED AG 98
AG
aggiedrjdub said:

Also, and I would like to point out, that for many foreigners coming in, they don't really relate to rivalries, etc. Some of our best friends are from Canada and Germany, and they've said they cannot relate to or understand the school spirit and rivalry aspect of college. They truly look at it as an education and a stepping stone only. So, maybe Tyra has sincere intentions and tu has taken advantage of her image to make it sting a little bit more for us?
They have the same kinds of things they just don't apply it to college. Ask the Canadians about hockey or the Germans about football and they'll relate plenty well, or at least typically have in my experience .
taylorswift13
AG
Well I don't think education is the answer cause she's only going for the spring, but supposedly it was a NIL deal which wasn't even that great and the tu coaches sold her that A&M was overusing her. They pulled the we'll take care of your body better trick… but the results aren't showing lol a whole year later and NOT ONE SINGLE PR LOL…. It will always be one of the biggest what ifs in A&M track history, she cut a lot of relationships when she left high and dry. The style in which she did it by quitting mid week into the spring semester and leaving us without a scholarship and to a competitor for the national title much less a rival. Sounds like she doesn't have the best people in her ear, but oh well… seems like it's her loss cause she hasn't improved whatsoever, kinda almost feel bad for her
Sodadude
AG
I read in one article that her husband lives in Austin. If so I would think that might be one part of the equation.
TRM
AG
They already got married? I think they got engaged the last half of last year. I could have sworn the guy was from the Houston area and was working in BCS. I guess he got a new job.

Side note: If it was a crappy NIL deal, the managing partners of Tyra Gittens Athletics LLC need to do a better a job.
taylorswift13
AG
Lol in one Heptathlon last year spanning 2 days she had like 5 pr's, nearly a whole season, 5 months at tu… zero PR's
taylorswift13
AG
TRM said:

They already got married? I think they got engaged the last half of last year. I could have sworn the guy was from the Houston area and was working in BCS. I guess he got a new job.

Side note: If it was a crappy NIL deal, the managing partners of Tyra Gittens Athletics LLC need to do a better a job.
they should also worry more about her poor season, much less her money lol… imagine the huge Pro contract she could've signed in the summer. Her stock is going down, unless she has a great outdoor championship performance…
triniaggie
AG
Added to which she is yet to make the world championship qualifying marks in both long and high jumps to represent Trinidad and Tobago. Both Acquah and Distin has already qualified and should be representing Ghana and Jamaica. She has only a few competitions again to make the qualifying standards and if she doesn't it would very sad situation for her. Ironically her best high jump this year was in College Station (1.95m) and she hasn't been anywhere close to this height all season.
triniaggie
AG

She is finally off the Bowerman watch list and they still have her receiving votes.
Lamara is still receiving votes and Young is no longer receiving votes

The Bowerman: 2022 Women's Watch List Update #6 ::: The Bowerman: The Nation's Top Award for Collegiate Track & Field Athletes (ustfccca.org)
Look Out Below
AG
I thought he lived in Houston last fall...
taylorswift13
AG
Teajha Badal has transferred to tu
taylorswift13
AG
Sucks to lose a sprinter to tu but she has vastly underperformed her freshman year not coming close to her high school PR's. Hopefully we can get a stronger sprinter from the transfer portal
triniaggie
AG
We are just not competitive at the moment in the women short sprints. We need to recruit some good sprinters to be competitive and get back to where we used to be many years ago. Maybe the transfer portal or some Caribbean sprinters.
TRM
AG
We really haven't been competitive in the short sprints since 2014 with Ekpone, K. Brown and A. Brown. In 2015, injuries slowed down Ekpone. Aaliyah could score points, but wasn't competitive enough to win like Olivia and Kamaria
taylorswift13
AG
Says a lot about Floreal that he needs to poach off of our and LSU's, and USC's roster… he can't develop.
Look Out Below
AG
Agree 100%.
triniaggie
AG
We need to get some good sprinters and beat him at his own game. We cannot sit back and let this continue to happen. We can definitely be competitive with sprints just like the hurdles
taylorswift13
AG
Hopefully this lights a fire for Pat Henry… I don't know how many years coaching he has left (hopefully many) but he deserves one more national title! I hate watching tu be more successful than us in track! Not with our coaches and our facilities
TRM
AG
Happy Anniversary Fred! 5 years ago.

https://www.ustfccca.org/ncaa-100/fred-kerley-texas-am-2017-ncaa-di-west-preliminary-round-collegiate-record-400-meters-4370#:~:text=On%20May%2026%2C%202017%2C%20exactly,fastest%20man%20in%20world%20history.

Bucketrunner
Watching interviews, Coach Henry doesn't seem too fired up. I hope I am wrong.
TRM
AG
FYI Duane Ross, the NC AT&T coach, is the new Volunteer head coach.
triniaggie
AG
Article

Duane Ross - Head Coach and Director of Track & Field - Staff Directory - University of Tennessee Athletics (utsports.com)
aggiedrjdub
AG
Does anyone know if Donavan Brazier is healthy?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.