*****Official Texas Rangers 2017 Off-Season Thread*****

51,614 Views | 551 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Mr Gigem
Mr Gigem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

I'm really surprised at the lack of talk about Profar. I know JD is good about no leaks, but surprised I haven't seen nothing surfaced.

A scenario. The LAD have been pressing for Minnesota 2B'er Dozier.

Some scenarios within the trade have been Dodger LHP Urias straight up for Dozier.

Another scenario would be LAD Jose De Leon (RHP-23) plus... say Bellinger (20-1B\OF)

I could see Profar to LAD.

Until we solidify either Trumbo or Napoli, I suspect Profar will remain off the table. Once that position is done, I could see him popping up in rumors. St Louis?!

The Dodgers are on the hook for about $212M for 2017 with 14 guys under contract. They have Arbs and Serfs.

Yes the Dodgers believe they have all the money to spend, but apparently MLB is concerned that they are approaching $1B in debt.
So you have seen something
mhayden
I think if Profar is traded we're all going to be disappointed simply because the return isn't going to be that great. 3 years of club control left means we'd probably be trading him for 50 cents on the dollar.
DallasAg 94
Mr Gigem
AG
DallasAg 94
TXAggie2011
AG
Dozier's a player a team that fancies themselves a contender wants to add. Profar isn't a comparable player and a contender isn't going to be jumping at adding Profar. You can add platoon-y, utility guys for cheap without giving up other assets to get that player.

With one option left, tops, Profar's not much of a prospect anymore despite his age. Its a commitment to have him on your major league roster in a year. Contenders will shy away from that unless they've got some financial concerns and even then the Rangers may have to get a little lucky. And if I've got financial concerns I'm looking to dump a little deadweight salary first rather than trade prospects. At that point, does it make sense for the Rangers?

If I'm "rebuilding", I'm more willing to get a cheap, younger guy but am I giving up assets I control for more than the 3 or 4 years I'd control Profar? Meh.

I think its going to be a tough trade to pull the trigger on right now, for both the Rangers and another club.
DallasAg 94
Verlander and the mighty Detroit Tigers.

Story on ESPN that it appears Detroit is no longer shopping Verlander and they won't "rebuild."

What a mess that team would be if Texas didn't take Fielder.

As of now, they owe $182M for 13 players in 2017.
Verlander (SP-33): $28M
Miguel Cabrera (1B-33): $28M
J Upton (LF-29): $22.1M
Zimmermann (SP-30): $18M
V Martinez (DH-38): $18M
Anibal Sanchez (SP-32): $16.8M
JD Martinez (RF-29): $11.75M
Kinsler (2B-34): $11M
Pelfrey (SP-32): $8M
FranRodriguez (CL-35): $6M
Fielder: $6M
Etc.

They owe $128M to 5 players in 2018, with options for Sanchez and Kinsler (buyouts of $5M/ea).
By contrast in 2017, the Rangers owe like $134 to 12 players (Includes Dyson's signing announcement).

If the Rangers struggle to get a deal done for Darvish, they should be structured to add someone like Verlander, should they decide mid-season to trade him.
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

They owe $128M to 5 players in 2018, with options for Sanchez and Kinsler (buyouts of $5M/ea).

By contrast in 2017, the Rangers owe like $134 to 12 players (Includes Dyson's signing announcement).
Well, with that extra $6 million they'll fit another 2 or 3 or so players and it suddenly doesn't look quite as stark of a contrast.

The Rangers have over $80 million locked up for just 4 healthy players in 2017.

To be sure, they have some big contracts on some guys who are getting a little old, and they've got some decisions to be made, but its not quite the dire financial mess that comparison may suggest. The bulk of every payroll is going to come from a core group of veterans.

I think the bottom line is they're currently regretting that Jordan Zimmerman contract. He's $25 million of that and he pitched horribly this past season.
Mr Gigem
AG
Hearing rumors that Tyson Ross is a Ranger. Stand by for confirmation
Mr Gigem
AG
Oh you know, just a birthday card from Banny himself

TXAggie2011
AG
AccidentProne said:

Saw that too.
Mr Gigem
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

AccidentProne said:

Saw that too.
TR Sullivan just tweeted. So that's more credible than Jeff skin Wade
Seven Costanza
AG
AccidentProne said:

"Happy Buthelg to You ard a Hoppy Nw Year. ThonR yor for all Yau do."
DallasAg 94
AccidentProne said:

Happy Happy BDay.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Banny has really nice handwriting
PacifistAg
AG

Love this signing. 1 year, $6 mil guaranteed. Can be higher with incentives.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Definitely strengthens the rotation a bit.
DallasAg 94
This may work out, but I don't know that this is the best use of $6M.

What I've seen is he won't be ready until June\July.

So April and May are out. In most cases, for injuries like he has (TOS), this year will be a wash. If he has value... it will be next year and he'll bridge that time on the Rangers' dime.

It may be that this is a cheap way to find out if he a candidate for 2018... but expensive, I'd think.
KT 90
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

Banny has really nice handwriting
Rob Childress just laughed at you.

Silvertaps
AG
Welp, that sucked.
Time to put the Cowboys gear away, and dust off the Rangers.
Pitchers and catchers report in 31 days!
AgBQ-00
AG
My baseball juices are starting to flow. So ready to see the team get back out and get started
Mr Gigem
AG
Now that the Cowboys are done, it's time to start thinking about the Rangers

For those that don't already have ticket plans, feel free to shoot me an email if you are interested. jchance @ texasrangers. com

I also handle group tickets and suite rentals, and I'll be setting up the discount ticket link again this season so be on the lookout for that when we start the official 2017 season thread.

PacifistAg
AG

Textbook low risk/high "reward" type of moves. Can't see Gee doing more than maybe compete for the #5 spot. I am very intrigued by this, though:
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Diekman out for half the year due to surgery for ulcerative colitis.
jtstanley4621
AG
Lucky #007 said:

Diekman out for half the year due to surgery for ulcerative colitis.
That really sucks... Maybe this forces us to try Bush at closer and put Dyson back to the role he was before we put him there?
DannyDuberstein
AG
Being a MLB relief pitcher seems like a stressful line of work for someone prone to ulcerative colitis.
Joe Cole
1 year 6m for half a season of Ross

I would of preferred going ahead and paying a little more and trying to get him for 2 years
bigcat22
AG
Interested to see how Hamilton does at 1B. If we sign Napoli and if Hambone has anything left in the tank, that could be an interesting platoon.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I'll be surprised if we ever see him at 1B, but at worst, it's a low risk DH option.
KT 90
AG
I have my doubts on Hamilton, but worth a try on a minor league contract I guess.

Didn't he throw 95 in high school? Maybe he can take over Diekman's role

DallasAg 94
Re: Diekman - And so it begins...

Re: Hamilton - I wonder if he performed well enough for the Rangers to back off on a 2 year Napoli deal.

Re: Gee - Like they say... you can never bring enough SP to ST.

Re: Ross - I too, was thinking we'd might as well sign him for 2 years. Maybe he wasn't interested.

Re: ST - It is all rainbows and unicorns now... downhill from here.
Mr Gigem
AG
Do you think if we are teetering at .500 at the trade deadline we try to deal Darvish? What kind of package would we expect for him?
DallasAg 94
AccidentProne said:

Do you think if we are teetering at .500 at the trade deadline we try to deal Darvish? What kind of package would we expect for him?
I guess it is never too early to talk mid-season selloffs.

Yu Darvish
Carlos Gomez
Andrew Cashner
Tyson Ross
Jonathan Lucroy

I think if we're at .500 then Darvish is part of what is sucking.
Gigem Trevas
DannyDuberstein said:

Being a MLB relief pitcher seems like a stressful line of work for someone prone to ulcerative colitis.

Here. It make sure normal life difficult let alone being a professional athlete.
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

Re: Hamilton - I wonder if he performed well enough for the Rangers to back off on a 2 year Napoli deal.

If they did, that'd be really dumb. I think it is simple: they found a guy they have had good times with who isn't getting many looks and they took a low-risk flier to see if the unprobable happens and he can offer something to the big league club. Probably has nothing to do with anything else in the organization.

Now, Hamilton may have been more willing to come here than he would have had they signed Napoli to a 2-year deal.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.