*****Official Texas Rangers 2017 Off-Season Thread*****

51,604 Views | 551 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Mr Gigem
Seven Costanza
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think Mazara will be the key. If he starts to trend towards his potential, that's another big productive bat in the lineup.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Your comment was more holes than last April. I simply disagree with that . Both rosters had/have some flaws, but I like how this one holds up vs what took the field at the beginning of 2016. Darvish, Lucroy, Bush likely closing instead of Tolleson, Mazara, etc. They need to add a bat at 1B, which I believe they will. But let's not pretend replacing the production they've been getting from 1B is a high bar.
mhayden
The team as is can compete, but it's hard to be bullish on them.

Offense looks about the same to me. Lucroy is a plus, but Beltre is unlikely to repeat, and it's very doubtul Carlos Gomez gives you an Ian Desmond 2016 production.

Yeah we'll have Yu to start the year (fingers crossed), but we're not going to get a 2016 Colby Lewis performance.

Houston got better, Seattle got better. Texas looks about the same, and knowing that they had some incredible fortune in 1-run games last year, that doens't make me feel great about our chances.

A rotation of Darvish/Hamels/Perez/Cashner/Lewis is pretty shaky even without the durabilty questions at the front end.

Choo is going to have stay healthy and rake, Mazara is going to have to take a step forward, and Perez is going to have to pitch like a true #3.

That's a lot to hope for.

roginaustin
S
To add about Perez, will he be able to put it together between the ears? He's not the most mentally strong when things begin to go south.
Mr Gigem
AG
Wtf we claimed Dragmire AGAIN from the Pirates
mhayden
Looks like we're closing in on Napoli... Definitely a need, but not a guy that is likely to be a real difference maker on this roster. I'm pretty meh on it.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Not flashy but needs to happen. Minor upgrade from last year IMO. Big upgrade from existing roster options.
roginaustin
S
I wonder what the plan is for DH. There's not a player on our roster that seems to fit what we need there.
mhayden
roginaustin said:

I wonder what the plan is for DH. There's not a player on our roster that seems to fit what we need there.

I would assume Choo and Rua will split the DH and OF duties.

Even if we do sign Napoli, this lineup has a lot of question marks and the rotation already did.
bigcat22
AG
Not sure if it's been discussed on here, but any thoughts on Trumbo as DH/1B? He basically just hits for power, but could bring some pop if the price is right
KT 90
AG
AccidentProne said:

Wtf we claimed Dragmire AGAIN from the Pirates

Here is the story, in with Dragmire (again) out with Rollins (again).

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/12/rangers-claim-brady-dragmire-lose-david-rollins-on-waivers-to-cubs.html

KT 90
AG
Hamilton's knee is cleared and "likely" to sign a minor league deal with the Rangers, with a Spring Training invite.

http://larrybrownsports.com/baseball/rangers-likely-bring-back-josh-hamilton-minor-league/340302

KT 90
AG
bigcat22 said:

Not sure if it's been discussed on here, but any thoughts on Trumbo as DH/1B? He basically just hits for power, but could bring some pop if the price is right

Haven't kept up with Trumbo much, doesn't seem to be linked to the Rangers as a possibility in the writeups. He is younger than Napoli, so maybe he is looking for a longer term deal than Napoli would be requiring to sign? I read somewhere one of the negatives with EE would have been the longer term commitment he was looking for (got 3 years, not the 4 he was looking for). Supposedly we don't want too many long term commitments so that we can make a run at signing Darvish.

Quincey P. Morris
AG
I have a friend who has some level of information though I've never been able to tell how much that told me Trumbo refused talks with the Rangers.
mhayden
Trumbo is going to be looking for a 3-4 year deal, and it's going to be for a decent chunk of change. If Texas was interested in a long-termish deal, they would signed EE.

Napoli works for Texas because it's a short-term (1yr hopefully, possibly 2) for cheap.
roginaustin
S
free_mhayden said:

Napoli works for Texas because it's a short-term (1yr hopefully, possibly 2) for cheap.

After we gave Andrew Cashner 10 mil, and Gomez 11, I don't think we know how to do cheap.
DannyDuberstein
AG
All of MLB forgot how to do cheap.
DallasAg 94
2016:
Trumbo (30) went .256, 47 HR, .316 OBP
Napoli (35) went .239, 34 HR, .335 OBP
Rangers (2016) went .237, 24 HR, .297 OBP

Players who played 1st for Texas (Age, GP):
Rua (26, 30G), Gallo (1G), Moreland (139G), Profar (23, 16G), Fielder (9G), Alberto (4G)

So, either would be an upgrade, however, we don't need a long-term signing.

JD mentioned Drew Robinson in the OF (24-AAA): .257 BA, .350 OBP, 20 HR

What if Choo went to 1B. What if Gallo learns to hit?!

Also Profar. DeShields.

I still think Anaheim should trade us Trout.

jtstanley4621
AG
I'd absolutely take Trumbo, but I just for whatever reason don't see that happening
DallasAg 94
Back to SP.

Jason Hammel (34-RHP) remains available.

He went 30 GS, 3.83, 1.206 WHIP, 166.2 IP, 144 K

Cubs declined a $12M option in favor of a $2M buyout. Apparently a gift of FA from Epstein. A 3yr/$42M projection. $14M avg.

If he gets $12M for 2017, he actually nets $2M (from buyout). From there, this is an opportunity to attach 2 more years.

Would you overpay for a 1yr deal?

Reminder:
Cashner: signed through 2017
Darvish: signed through 2017
AJGriffin: Arb through 2018
Hamels: signed through 2019
Perez: signed through 2020

I'm expecting (again) a breakout from Perez. He is finally past his TJ, and mental aspect is what he needs.

Darvish is going to be a big signing.

You have a 3 year window with Hamels and Perez.

I know Colby is still an option.

I know we have some minor league options for SP coming and don't like the idea of when Darvish gets to FA.

BTW... Nick Martinez has had some Winter League success.
Ariel Jurado: 5 GS, 3.00 ERA, 18.0 IP, 12 SO, 1.44 WHIP
Nick Martinez: 7 GS, 2.53 ERA, 32.0 IP, 15 SO, 1.09 WHIP
Bibens-Dirkx (31): 13 GS, 3.04 ERA, 68.0 IP, 42 SO, 1.21 WHIP
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

Cubs declined a $12M option in favor of a $2M buyout. Apparently a gift of FA from Epstein. A 3yr/$42M projection. $14M avg.

The guys making those predictions (Tim Dierkes and friends) have a tendency to get too excited about some guys and often significantly overestimate some of their higher ranked free agents. They thought the Rangers would drop 3 years and $36 million in Carlos Gomez, for example. They thought Ivan Nova would get 4 and 52 million; he got 3 and 26 million.

It'd be disappointing to sign Hammell for that considering how the market has played out so far. But I wouldn't call it a horribly gross overpay.

The bigger concern would be it has the Rangers approaching $150 million in payroll without addressing the need at 1B.
TXAggie2011
AG
And they'd already be up to $95 million for next season even though they'd be losing Darvish, Lucroy, Gomez, etc.

It's not a move you'd make if you were looking for financial flexibility next season.

But we'll see. I think he's a decent pitcher.
TXAggie2011
AG
To overpaying for a 1-year deal?

Without inside information as to their pursuit of a first baseman/DH.....no.

Again, you're approaching $150 million in payroll. It'd just about end the Rangers offseason.
Seven Costanza
AG
Former Ranger John Barfield was shot and killed yesterday in Little Rock. I vaguely remember him.

Story
DallasAg 94
Seven Costanza said:

Former Ranger John Barfield was shot and killed yesterday in Little Rock. I vaguely remember him.

Story
Dang... Hate to hear that. I remember him. One of our family Drs was a Barfield, so his name being called always caught my attention.

Additional story information...
DallasAg 94
Napoli on a 2-year?

I think that is curious, and suggests more than just getting a 1B/DH for 2018.

I would project 20HR/.240 seasons. I assume most of that will be at 1B.

What will it cost? I have no clue.

I think it gives certainty at 1B for 2018. If the Rangers are looking to lock up Darvish, this will resolve any financial uncertainty for 1B/DH, in 2018. I believe Darvish will want to try FA.

Maybe they have a plan with some potential offers on the table for Lucroy. Maybe they exchanged some numbers that seem doable?!

Would this signal the Rangers have a plan to buyout Fielder? With a committed roster spot for Napoli in 2018... Fielder's roster spot becomes more valuable.

That would not bode well for Gallo. Maybe they have a trade in the works and feel the need to lockup a 1B/DH.

Any signing at 1B/DH blocks Rua, Profar, and Robinson.

I think signing Napoli for 2 years could mean Profar and Gallo will be gone by Spring Training. I just don't know where they would go or whom we would get.

Quintana? 27-LHP. Who has 5years in MLB with a career 3.41 ERA and a 1.242 WHIP? He has 4 years @ $7M, $8.8M, $10.5M & $11.5M (2020).

Greinke? 33-RHP. Absolutely horrible contract. 5 more years at $34M. Went 4.37 ERA in his 1st year of the contract. Arizona would need to pay for a bunch of that contract.

A 2017 of Hamels, Darvish, Quintana, Perez, Cashner? For 2018, Hamels, Quintana, Perez & YoMen\Jurado? So, if you don't land Darvish or Cashner doesn't work out... you aren't in rebuild mode.
mhayden
If Napoli gets 2 years then it means him and his agent bent us over because they know we have a hole at first.

If we sign him for 2, then not just ponying up for 3 years of Encarnacion was bone-headed.
KT 90
AG
free_mhayden said:

If Napoli gets 2 years then it means him and his agent bent us over because they know we have a hole at first.

If we sign him for 2, then not just ponying up for 3 years of Encarnacion was bone-headed.

Pretty sure Napoli is getting 2 years, whether it is from the Rangers or somebody else. EE got $20/year though, and I think Napoli will be more in the $15 range from what I recall reading. So JD probably focusing on shorter commitment term plus cheaper per year amount in the decision process between Napoli and EE.

DallasAg 94
free_mhayden said:

Let's see what the money is for Napoli. Gawd I hope it isn't more than $10M per. I'd like to see a 1yr deal, with a vesting option for like 30 HRs.

EE (33) was 3yr/$60M. $20M per. Career .266, .352 OBP and maybe 35 HRs/yr. You sign EE, and you basically have no path for Ronald Guzman, whom you are likely hoping for 2018... definitely by 2019.

Ronald Guzman (21) went .288, 15 HRs in 102 GP at Frisco. For AAA RR, he played 25 G, with a .216, 1HR. Napoli and Guzman can split DH\1B in 2018. The $20M in 2019 for EE is replaced by Guzman as a serf. That $19.5M difference pays for Darvish that year.
LeFraud
I know it may sound silly, but would the Rangers think about giving Teixeira a call?
DallasAg 94
Looks like the talks between the Yanks and CWS continue for Quintana

From this link:

The CWS are asking for NYY's:
Luis Severino (22-RHP): 11 GS, 5.83, 1.451 WHIP in MLB (2016)
#3 Yank prospect: Jorge Mateo (21-MIF): 113 G at A+, .254, 8 HR, 36 SB
#1 Yank prospect: Clint Frazier (22-OF): 89 G at AA, .276, 13 HR, 13 SB

Yanks are not interested.

I think that gives you a view into the market.

Profar (23-MLB): 90G, .239, 5 HR, 2 SB would rate better than any of the 3.

Lock up Napoli and Gallo (23) is expendable. Drew Robinson?
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I'd be astounded if it ended up at $15m per.
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

Pretty sure Napoli is getting 2 years, whether it is from the Rangers or somebody else. EE got $20/year though, and I think Napoli will be more in the $15 range from what I recall reading. So JD probably focusing on shorter commitment term plus cheaper per year amount in the decision process between Napoli and EE.

Napoli is closer to Kendrys Morales level who just got 3 years at $33 million total.

Steve Pearce is the biggest 1B contract so far at 2 years, 12.5 million.

He's hit 15-20 home runs playing just half the season the past three years and hit .288 and .293 in two of them. (He hit .218 in the other.) He's a better defender than Napoli. Obviously there is something to why he's not playing more than 100 games a year but there's a data point for the market.

The moral of the story being I think Napoli will have pulled something over the Rangers' (or someone's) head if he's making that much cash---especially on a multi-year contract.
mhayden
DallasAg 94 said:

free_mhayden said:

Let's see what the money is for Napoli. Gawd I hope it isn't more than $10M per. I'd like to see a 1yr deal, with a vesting option for like 30 HRs.

EE (33) was 3yr/$60M. $20M per. Career .266, .352 OBP and maybe 35 HRs/yr. You sign EE, and you basically have no path for Ronald Guzman, whom you are likely hoping for 2018... definitely by 2019.

Ronald Guzman (21) went .288, 15 HRs in 102 GP at Frisco. For AAA RR, he played 25 G, with a .216, 1HR. Napoli and Guzman can split DH\1B in 2018. The $20M in 2019 for EE is replaced by Guzman as a serf. That $19.5M difference pays for Darvish that year.

If Napoli was getting a 1 year deal, I think it would be a done deal by now.

My guess is he's going to get 2/$20 or 2/$22... Which if we're going to commit that I would have just preferred going the 3/$60 for EE. Napoli isn't a difference maker... He's likely going to give you Mitch Moreland numbers.

EE would have actually transformed this offense.

A Napoli deal signals to me we are going with the "if everything goes right, we can compete"... Which I don't like but I'm fine with for a year. But two? Ugh.

And at this point I just can't see Darvish being a Ranger after 2017. He's going to test free agency, and someone is going to give him a lot of money for what has been not so durable a career. I think if we had a young rotation and were just missing a piece to make it a premier rotation then we might consider it, but Hamels is getting older, Perez still hasn't proven anything and the rest of the rotation is a big question mark.
mhayden
Supposedly we're in on Tyson Ross.

Certainly wouldn't be a bad signing (depending on the price) -- but it feels like the Rangers days of old when we're kicking the tires on any re-tread hoping they have a good year.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.