*****Official Texas Rangers 2017 Off-Season Thread*****

51,629 Views | 551 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Mr Gigem
jtstanley4621
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
And that being said, I wonder if the White Sox would be in total rebuild mode. Not really sure why they wouldn't be. I haven't followed them that hard this past season, but Abreu would seem to immediately fill a 1B/DH role as well as a power right handed bat. I remember he's killed us in the past. I'm sure he wouldn't mind hitting in this ballpark.
diehard03
He's 29 years old. I'd flip him.
AggieDPT
AG
Moreland to the Red Sox being reported
gigem1223
1 year, little over $5M

Wow that's cheap.
jtstanley4621
AG
Man, Red Sox are really getting after the winter meetings. We need a DH/1B pretty badly.
gigem1223
Looking more and more like Rua will be your opening day first baseman....
DeangeloVickers
AG
I love Mitch hope he does well
mhayden
I like Mitch, but he got paid about exactly what he was worth -- and only on a 1year deal.
gigem1223
Yea...unless Mitch just wanted out, hard to believe JD wouldn't match that. Maybe there's a bigger plan for Encarnacion or Napoli?
mhayden
gigem1223 said:

Yea...unless Mitch just wanted out, hard to believe JD wouldn't match that. Maybe there's a bigger plan for Encarnacion or Napoli?

I'm sure Texas was willing to give Mitch a 1 year deal at $5m, but Boston making the same offer... WS favorite, change of scenery, etc... They also may have have been able to make him the guarantee he'd be an everyday player where Texas likely wouldn't make the guarantee after his track record.
roginaustin
S
I just hope our major deal this off season isn't signing Andrew Cashner. Over 20 games under .500 as a starter and you get 10 million a year. Seems legit.
DeangeloVickers
AG
I agree.....was another team gonna sign Cashner for say $7 million?!??! Odd price
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, I could see the allure of leaving even if the Rangers offered something in that $5 mill ballpark. Mitch's window of earning a decent multi-year deal won't be open lomg (if it ever opens), so it's a good time to try something else to see of he can't pump up his stock for next offseason.

Either way, I hope the Rangers have something bigger in mind for 1B.
AggieDPT
AG
Gomez 1 year at 11.5. Feel the excitement!
jtstanley4621
AG
I'm seeing on twitter that we've signed Gomez to a one year deal. I wonder if that signals anything about Desmond. I would like him back if the price isn't unreasonably high
astros4545
AG
Gomez
Quincey P. Morris
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

I'm seeing on twitter that we've signed Gomez to a one year deal. I wonder if that signals anything about Desmond. I would like him back if the price isn't unreasonably high
I've been under the impression it was one or the other. Think Desmond is going to command more than the Rangers are willing to pay.
roginaustin
S
Well, it's very early, but I'm not too excited about what we've done this off season. Not sure what Gomez you're going to get now that his mentor isn't here to keep him in line anymore.
PacifistAg
AG
Alabaster Jones said:

Gomez 1 year at 11.5. Feel the excitement!
I'm actually okay with this. Desmond was going to be much more costly, and Gomez is a better defensive CF. The big question is do we get the Astros version of Gomez as a hitter, or the Rangers version. But, it's a one year commitment and fills the CF need at a reasonable price.
DannyDuberstein
AG
If it's an either/or situation, I prefer Gomez on a 1 year deal than Desmond on an expensive 4+ year deal.
PacifistAg
AG
Agreed. Given the track record of both players, you don't know exactly what you are gonna get with either. Gomez is cheaper and better defensively.
gigem1223
Looks like White Sox aren't don't yet. Entertaining offers for Quintana now. Rumors are the Astros are showing interest. Wonder if a package centered around Profar would get him him to Texas?
gigem1223
I agree. I'd much rather spend the money on Encarnacion than Desmond. Gomez is an excellent defensive CF and was their best bat down the stretch. I feel pretty confident we see a similar Gomez next season, being it's a prove it type contract.
PacifistAg
AG
PacifistAg
AG
gigem1223 said:

Looks like White Sox aren't don't yet. Entertaining offers for Quintana now. Rumors are the Astros are showing interest. Wonder if a package centered around Profar would get him him to Texas?
If they could land Quintana and sign Encarnacion, I'd be very happy with this offseason.
KT 90
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

With Gomez signed, I think Desmond is a goner now. Unless a trade is made that opens up an outfield spot, otherwise Mazara-Gomez-Chou will be the outfield.
KT 90
AG
RetiredAg said:

gigem1223 said:

If they could land Quintana and sign Encarnacion, I'd be very happy with this offseason.

I'd be good with that too, depending on what it costs to get Quintana.
PacifistAg
AG
KT 90 said:

jtstanley4621 said:

With Gomez signed, I think Desmond is a goner now. Unless a trade is made that opens up an outfield spot, otherwise Mazara-Gomez-Chou will be the outfield.
Honestly, I'd prefer Profar-Gomez-Mazara w/ Choo at DH and Encarnacion at 1B.
KT 90
AG
If Encarnacion doesn't work out, or even as an alternative, Napoli is still out there as well. Napoli is supposedly looking for a two year deal, so wouldn't be as long of a commitment (and fewer dollars as well). Of course Napoli doesn't give you the average that Encarnacion does, but he put up good HR/RBI numbers last year.

KT 90
AG
RetiredAg said:

KT 90 said:

jtstanley4621 said:

Honestly, I'd prefer Profar-Gomez-Mazara w/ Choo at DH and Encarnacion at 1B.

With Choo's recent injury issues, DH might be a good alternative for the team. Is he willing to move to DH on a fulltime basis I wonder? Profar is still under team control, so I guess it doesn't matter, but he said he was willing to do the utility role last year but was looking to be a SS next year and beyond. Would have to also wonder if he would willingly accept being moved to the OF?
mhayden
Very much doubt we have what it takes to land both Encarnacion AND Quintana.

I'm happy with one or the other. The former and you've got a pretty stout lineup, the latter and you've got a pretty stout 1-2-3 rotation.
jtstanley4621
AG
I want Encarnacion or Napoli. I would be totally fine with either of those guys. We need 1B badly. I don't think Gallo is ready to play that position in the MLB right now.

I really do wonder if we could somehow get Jose Abreu though. He would probably have a lot of success hitting regularly in our ballpark. He's killed us on the White Sox
Cynical_Texan
AG
astros4545 said:

Gomez
Can you guys pay for him again? Worked out well last year...
PacifistAg
AG
Desmond to the Rockies. That's the best possible place for the Rangers. Rangers get first unprotected pick at #11.

Cynical_Texan
AG
RetiredAg said:

Desmond to the Rockies. That's the best possible place for the Rangers. Rangers get first unprotected pick at #11.

Got a good year out of Desmond and then his signing morphed into the no.11 pick overall. Gotta like that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.