*****Official Texas Rangers 2017 Off-Season Thread*****

51,606 Views | 551 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Mr Gigem
TXAggie2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking to unload Rougie probably isn't the right phrase. Considering using him to upgrade the team, I think you can put a lot of players in that category.

As for comparing him to Kinsler,

Kinsler also drew walks, and didn't strike out nearly as much. If you believe its about OBP, OBP, OBP, Kinsler was at a completely other level when he was in his first seasons as a Ranger.

Kinsler was also a better baserunner. And defender.

The fact that Odor can pull off a 33 home run, 33 doubles season and keep his OPS below .800 is a feat almost exclusively reserved for high-strikeout first baseman.
TXAggie2011
AG
Odor has a slow glove and a bad arm, I'm not sure moving him to the hot corner is going to be the solution for him or the roster.
DallasAg 94
TXAggie2011 said:

Looking to unload Rougie probably isn't the right phrase. Considering using him to upgrade the team, I think you can put a lot of players in that category.

As for comparing him to Kinsler,

Kinsler also drew walks, and didn't strike out nearly as much. If you believe its about OBP, OBP, OBP, Kinsler was at a completely other level when he was in his first seasons as a Ranger.

Kinsler was also a better baserunner. And defender.

The fact that Odor can pull off a 33 home run, 33 doubles season and keep his OPS below .800 is a feat almost exclusively reserved for high-strikeout first baseman.
Some context and perspective.

Today... Odor officially turns 23. Today. At this same age, Kinsler... born June 22, 1982... was playing his first season above AA. He was with Oklahoma City (AAA), where he hit .274, 23 HR, 19 SB. He did have an OBP of .348. At AAA. He made his debut at 23 on April 3, 2006. Just 2.5 months shy of his 24th birthday.

So, anything Odor does this season will add to what he has accomplished before Kinsler made his debut.

Odor may never be the base threat of Kinsler. It will be fun to see how Odor does this season and if his SB and HR numbers improve. Based on what I've seen and heard about Odor and his family, it is baseball, baseball, baseball. He eats, breathes and lives baseball.

So, Odor has established himself as an everyday 2B in MLB, while Kinsler was still getting settled in AAA.
mhayden
Looks like we're about to land Napoli on a 1-year deal (likely becoming official after P&C report to help with roster management).

I don't think he's a season-changer, but a 1yr deal I can't be upset about.
Hamburger Dan
I hope so. Any deal is better than more feetdragging. Wouldn't it be nice if Gallo turned into a stud?
MooreTrucker
AG
free_mhayden said:

Looks like we're about to land Napoli on a 1-year deal (likely becoming official after P&C report to help with roster management).

Tis done.
Mr Gigem
AG
Hamburger Dan said:

I hope so. Any deal is better than more feetdragging. Wouldn't it be nice if Gallo turned into a stud?
Wouldn't it be nice if we were older
mhayden
MooreTrucker said:

free_mhayden said:

Tis done.

From what I've seen there's nothing official yet and likely won't be until after V-Day.
mhayden
Will be an interesting season. I'm not high on this team, but not really low on this team either. On paper the Astros look to be the best team with Seattle looking like they could finally breakthrough... But we've certainly got the pieces to win the division.

A lot went right last year (run differential)... But a lot went wrong last year too.
MooreTrucker
AG
free_mhayden said:

MooreTrucker said:

free_mhayden said:

Tis done.

From what I've seen there's nothing official yet and likely won't be until after V-Day.
OK. I just got an alert from ESPN. That's where i heard about it.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
It's just waiting on the physical and the actual announcement. It being official is a formality at this point unless that physical doesn't go well.
mhayden
Little different circumstances with it being official since it's roster related. The idea is if we don't officially add Napoli to the roster until after Tuesday then we don't have to push anyone to waivers since on that day we can move Prince (and Diekman I believe) off the 40-man.
Mr Gigem
AG
I have one seat left for sale in the Lexus Club Box for opening day. It is only available through the purchase of a 10-game plan. The cost is $650. Who wants it??

So you get a 10-game plan plus opening day for FREE

I'll throw in a Yu Darvish autographed ball
jtstanley4621
AG
AccidentProne said:

I have one seat left for sale in the Lexus Club Box for opening day. It is only available through the purchase of a 10-game plan. The cost is $650. Who wants it??

So let me get this straight.... You get a 10 game plan for free.... with the purchase of a ticket worth the same amount as the purchase of a 10 game plan.
Mr Gigem
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

AccidentProne said:

So let me get this straight.... You get a 10 game plan for free.... with the purchase of a ticket worth the same amount as the purchase of a 10 game plan.
No no no. Let me straighten it out for you.

You purchase a 10-game plan in the Lexus Club Box for $650. Then you get the only seat I have left in the Lexus Club Box for opening day for free.

You'll also get a Yu Darvish autographed ball. For Free. Because I'm nice like that
MooreTrucker
AG
So actually 11 games for the price of 10.
Mr Gigem
AG
MooreTrucker said:

PatAg
AG
Did they discontinue the University Days this year? Or maybe just haven't set the dates?
Mr Gigem
AG
Haven't set the dates yet. I'm working on getting Myles Garrett to throw out the first pitch
jtstanley4621
AG
AccidentProne said:

Haven't set the dates yet. I'm working on getting Myles Garrett to throw out the first pitch
Oh man that would be amazing.
DallasAg 94
MooreTrucker said:

An a Yu Darvish Autographed baseball.
Mr Gigem
AG
Hey if y'all don't want me to offer y'all anything anymore, just say the word
MooreTrucker
AG
AccidentProne said:

It's a great offer, but I don't live close enough to DFW to take advantage.
KT 90
AG
so the Napoli deal is 1 one year deal with a club option for 2018. I like it, gives the team some flexibility while still being able to keep him around for another year if he is still producing.

aggietony2010
AG
Sitting in the Houston Costco food court eavesdropping on conversations.

Let's just say the one run win butthurt is still strong in this city.
mhayden
Never a downside to a team option -- but if we're exercising our option on Napoli it likely means that Gallo has failed.
DallasAg 94
AccidentProne said:

I was making fun of the clarifying post, not your offer.

It was a good offer. Very strong. YUGE! It was a really good offer, I have to say it. It is. Believe me, it is a good deal.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Apparently Napoli took less money to play for the Rangers than what the twins offered.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
free_mhayden said:

Never a downside to a team option -- but if we're exercising our option on Napoli it likely means that Gallo has failed.
If that's what it ends up being dependent on, I'd say there's a strong likelihood that we're picking up Napoli's option.
mhayden
Lucky #007 said:

free_mhayden said:

If that's what it ends up being dependent on, I'd say there's a strong likelihood that we're picking up Napoli's option.

Can't say I disagree, but I sure hope not. A lot of this team's ability to be a legitimate contender the next few years is contingent on Gallo and Profar developing value.
AggieDPT
AG
Would love to take you up on it but just too far away to make that many games
Mr Gigem
AG
Alabaster Jones said:

Would love to take you up on it but just too far away to make that many games
Go to opening day and sell the rest?
bigcat22
AG
In former Ranger news, CJ Wilson is retiring from baseball to pursue a career in auto racing and auto sales... man what an odd duck
KT 90
AG
bigcat22 said:

In former Ranger news, CJ Wilson is retiring from baseball to pursue a career in auto racing and auto sales... man what an odd duck
I don't know about the auto sales part, but he has been into the racing stuff for a while. I recall reading about that back when he was with the Rangers. I think he hurt his arm/shoulder/something and never really was the same after cashing in on the big contract.

Quincey P. Morris
AG
I think it's more the racing. The article I read just said he had purchased another car dealership and running those is just what he's doing during the day.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.