*****Official Texas Rangers 2017 Off-Season Thread*****

51,650 Views | 551 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Mr Gigem
MSFC Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wow....that's the most despondent I've ever seen DA94
Ag2012
AG
Quote:

Holland?! The Riddler? I haven't figured him out.
it seems like the rest of the AL has
TXAggie2011
AG
Squirrel Master said:

TXAggie2011 said:

And if I'm Jon Daniels I'm planning on neither one of them being a meaningful contributor in 2017.
I'm good with Profar in the same role he had this year, utility guy. I don't want him starting. If a trade makes the most sense, I'm good.

Yeah, I get that. But I wouldn't mind them looking for a utility guy that they don't dread needing to start a consistent stretch of games.

It'll be interesting. Can't really begin to guess on what the trade market is for Profar.
Squirrel Master
AG
Profar was only a disappointment when you consider his prospect status. As a utility infielder who can play all 4 spots and some token LF when needed, the list of people better than him is really small. They won't be shopping for a better utility option, he's already the best the team has ever had.
. . .
Thad Levine expected to take Twins GM job
DallasAg 94
Just took the Rangers survey.

Included was my view on 16 players. I don't recall ever having a sports organization collecting fan opinion on players.

I doubt they really need feed back on Beltre. But getting information on how Odor is perceived... Ian Desmond and Carlos Gomez would really be interesting. The true target of information would be masked by including Lucroy and Hamels.

If fan feedback is highly negative for someone like Gomez, they may be more resistant in offering a FA contract. Where as, if feedback in neutral, might be worth offering.
TXAggie2011
AG
Squirrel Master said:

Profar was only a disappointment when you consider his prospect status. As a utility infielder who can play all 4 spots and some token LF when needed, the list of people better than him is really small. They won't be shopping for a better utility option, he's already the best the team has ever had.
He's been a .230-.240 hitter with below average power and below average base-running.

The best they've ever had my toosh. They had a .280/.900 OPS utility infielder just 3 or 4 years ago, yet alone the pile of guys they've rotated through that could hit at replacement level.

He's a disappointment compared to his prospect status? Come on, we wouldn't be touting his -0.2 oWAR work if it was not for his prospect status.

I'm not saying dump him for pennies. He's got some talent buried somewhere, and I don't really like seeing Odor ever putting on a glove, but I recognize Odor is staying at 2B in the coming years, and I recognize you can go find another guy to waste at-bats for you.

Without a clear idea of how he can help the club in the near future and the longer-term future, I look to see if I can't get me something nice from the trading block.
Mr Gigem
AG
Thad Levine expected to be named Twins GM
Mozart Paintings
AG
3 posts up brother
Mr Gigem
AG
I drove bus said:

3 posts up brother

I thought I was the only one who post official Rangers news
Mr Gigem
AG
Time for the company softball tournament aka my tryout for the team
AggieDPT
AG
The 2017 play by play announcer is Raymond with Busby not coming back. Terrible move to keep him full time.
jtstanley4621
AG
Oh god. I wasn't a huge fan of Buzz, but he at least had SOME kind of excitement about him. Raymond constantly sounded like he was reading a phone book. Terrible.
aggietony2010
AG
Hearing that Raymond is the play by play guy almost makes me want to root for another team.

I'll be watching a lot of games on mute or paying for a proxy to do MLB.tv. Raymond makes me irrationally angry.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I have no idea how you listen to his body of work this season and hire him full time. He is easily the worst sports announcer I have ever heard.
Seven Costanza
AG
I'm happy to see Busby go. He's a knowledgeable guy and an adequate PBP announcer, but I personally didn't like him.

I'm sure Raymond is a nice guy, but he is wholly unqualified for this job.

It would be nice to start fresh with an entirely new crew.
KT 90
AG
As expected, Tolleson opts for free agency:

http://www.todaysknuckleball.com/news/rangers-rhp-tolleson-declines-assignment-granted-free-agency/

Anybody can sign him now, including the Rangers.

AggieDPT
AG
I'll just use the MLB app to stream the radio guys. Pain in the ass to sync up audio and visual but way better than Raymond.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I don't know how they can do such a great job of running most of the front office but be such blind a d deaf dip****s when it comes to managing the announcing booth. Busby needed to go, but Raymond is a train wreck.
DannyDuberstein
AG
And watching Kyle Hendricks pitch always makes my stomach hurt.
AggieDPT
AG
Kyle Hendricks
Justin Grimm
Carl Edwards

At least some Rangers pitchers are doing well in the postseason
Dallasag02
AG
So frustrating.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Serious question: I'm sure they have input, but do the Rangers physically hire the television announcers or do their checks come from Fox?
TV Casualty
AG
Lucky #007 said:

Serious question: I'm sure they have input, but do the Rangers physically hire the television announcers or do their checks come from Fox?

The Rangers hire them. Even Emily Jones is now a Rangers employee. Fox has control over the studio talent and Knox.

Horrible move by the Rangers to go with Raymond. I was worried that this was going to happen. I will be using MLB TV to sync up Nadel next year.
Mr. White
I'd rather have a Henry Kissinger/Ben Stein booth.
PatAg
AG
Just get Lewin back
mhayden
At this point I get the feeling they basically juts ask Grieve who he'd be comfortable working with.

Busby couldn't tell a routine fly ball to center field from a home run and had a weird obsession with the word "fisted", but Raymond is going to put people to sleep.
DannyDuberstein
AG
they probably did, which also explains why the booth has been a clusterF. He ran off a great one in Lewin. That said, they still need another analyst unless 69 year old Grieve is going to stop taking a ****ton of games off, which I doubt. They said last year he was scheduled for 35 days off, but it seemed like he ended up missing a lot more than that.
DallasAg 94
Busby seemed very frustrated with Raymond, so him not coming back doesn't surprise me, if Raymond is.

I really liked Busby. His inability to read a HR was trivial, IMO. If you can't judge it on the TV and must rely on the telecast, I don't know what to tell you.

I can't stomach Raymond. Clear and simple. He offers me nothing. Busby showed frustration for the same reasons I don't like Raymond. He makes statements that any HS baseball player would knowlingly correct. And you ask yourself... "This guy is supposed to know more about baseball than the average fan?" He doesn't.

Play-by-play is important on the radio. On TV, you can hopefully see what is going on. It is the ancillary information on context that is valuable and Raymond adds nothing.

We've been talking about cutting cable. The main reason we haven't is college football (specifically the Ags) and the Rangers.

Everything else we can get without cable.

Now that the kids are getting older, it might be a good time to cut back on my Rangers viewing.
mhayden
The issue with Busby not knowing how to read fly balls is that his commentary started out "LONG DRIVE DEEP CENTERFIELD... caught 15 feet in front of the warning track by the centerfielder"... and he got burned on that so many times that he became completely gun-shy so it became "ho hum ho hum ho hum GOODBYE" on even the moon shots.

But that was at least better than Raymond, who is ho-hum the entire time. I didn't catch the last series against Tampa Bay -- some said he got a little better -- but before that it honestly seemed like he didn't really care if Texas won or not. Game winning hits were just casually described.
jtstanley4621
AG
Raymond just never ever seemed into the game. At least we got that with Buzz. I recognize he wasn't great, but I thought overall he was fine. And with Raymond it's gonna seem like we lost Vin Scully
DannyDuberstein
AG
Raymond doesn't get basic facts and names correct, and there were many times he seemed to forget which team he is announcing for. Busby was bad on long fly balls, bit at least he knew which team to be energetic for.
jtstanley4621
AG
As the roster is now, I think it would make sense to move Choo to DH and play him in the outfield occasionally. But doing that leaves the outfield as a huge question mark for the upcoming season. If the price is right, I wouldn't mind trying to re-sign Gomez.

It is really going to be interesting to see what we do at 1B this coming season. I did at one point think Gallo was the answer there, but he is 100 percent boom or bust at the plate, and kind of honestly as a prospect. I just don't know if his swing is going to make it in the majors. I'm not sure limited time up in the big leagues benefits him. He could do with a full year at AAA playing every day with no interruptions outside of maybe a playoff callup or someone being injured.

One of the issues is Ronald Guzman. He's a natural 1B, and I think not THAT far away from at least pushing towards warranting a look in the bigs. I think he'd slide into the position here better than Gallo. And if you pushed Gallo down the tracks towards playing and learning 1B, and Guzman ends up better than him, what do you do with Gallo?

Additionally, if we re-signed Gomez (I think he really did enjoy his time here and wouldn't mind coming back), I see no reason why he wouldn't be full time in CF. That move didn't really make that much sense to be after he had adjusted to the ballpark. I would love to see Desmond back too. I think he's a great teammate. But he may cost too much.
PatAg
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Raymond doesn't get basic facts and names correct, and there were many times he seemed to forget which team he is announcing for. Busby was bad on long fly balls, bit at least he knew which team to be energetic for.
Yea thats a huge issue for me. I'mt not watching ESPN, I'm watching the RANGERS broadcast on FSSW. Give me some homerism, you dillhole.
Mr Gigem
AG
Thad is cleaning out his office

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.