*****Official Texas Rangers 2017 Off-Season Thread*****

51,646 Views | 551 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Mr Gigem
mhayden
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's almost a guarantee that Darvish is going to test free agency. He's got $50m in his pocket so he's not at a point where he is needing to make a "safe" play in regards to his contract. By all accounts he's a guy that likes the spotlight and the big stage, so he's absolutely going to give the New York's and the Los Angeles' a chance to bid on his services.

As for Profar, no one is going to give us high end prospects for him right now because he is still unproven on the big league level. If he proves himself this year (even in half a season) we could certainly flip him for something good, but at that point we're only looking at 2.5 more years before he hits free agency so not exactly a hot commodity. The only way to regain value after sitting 2 years on the shelf is to come out like gangbusters, and in 2016 he didn't do that.
KT 90
AG
I don't think we will get full value for Profar, but I do think he gets traded prior to the season opener. He let it be known last year when he started out hot that he expected to be playing everyday this upcoming season, preferably at SS. We obviously don't have an opening at SS nor do we have an everyday spot available. Maybe we can package him with another player (not sure who) and get a decent return.

I do think Napoli eventually signs with the Rangers as well. He's waiting for a two year deal, but there aren't many openings out there for a 1b/DH so he and his agent will eventually agree to terms with JD and the Rangers. I hope so anyway. He is good to have on a team.

Silvertaps
AG
Wow! Astros get from the Cardinals $2M, their 2 highest 2017 MLB draft picks, and Correa is banned from baseball.
I didn't think much would happen from that hacking situation!
Grapesoda2525
It sucks being a Rangers fan right now. We are pretty much the Blue Jays *****.
MountainAg99
AG
Talk about a way to continue to reload your farm system. They did deserve compensation but I didn't expect it to be draft picks.
LeFraud
One game I know I'll be attending this year is Aug 18 vs the White Sox. SGA is an Adrian Beltre starting lineup figure...can't wait!
Mozart Paintings
AG
LeFraud said:

One game I know I'll be attending this year is Aug 18 vs the White Sox. SGA is an Adrian Beltre starting lineup figure...can't wait!

What does this mean?
LeFraud
One of these

Baby Billy
AG
grapespda2525 said:

Ignore feature activated. It's gonna be such a nice features for all the pathetic Astros fans this year
jtstanley4621
AG
Huell Babineaux said:

grapespda2525 said:

Ignore feature activated. It's gonna be such a nice features for all the pathetic Astros fans this year
Add that to the obvious sip trolling by him on the premium board and I think I might use my first ignore on a user!
Snoop Lion
[That kind of post on this thread will get you banned for a month. -Staff]
jtstanley4621
AG
Snoop Lion said:

rangers suck
Man that one really stung. You got us all!
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Rangers pursuing Quintana again? Who are they going to send to get that deal done?
Mr Gigem
AG
Idk, but I bet the White Sox are looking for Mazara or Odor in return
DeangeloVickers
AG
Anyone but Mazara

You spend years trying to find guys like that....
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Evan Grant is saying his sources are downplaying it. Thinks it sounds like they're trying to push the Astros along.
DallasAg 94
I think Odor draws the most interest, and Odor Profar is a viable replacement.

You give up Jurado and Mendez.

That also gives you another SP for next season, if Darvish bolts... saving you the $30M or so Darvish wants.

2017: Hamels, Darvish, Quintana, Perez, Cashner
2018: Hamels, Quintana, Perez
mhayden
Yeah, this is just the White Sox trying to get the Astros to pull the trigger.

There's no other reason that suddenly in February we're "heating up" on a deal like this.

Roster is pretty much set for 2017... Only significant addition will be Napoli or the like.
DallasAg 94
I agree.
mhayden
And I'd LOVE Quintana.

But even ignoring that this type of deal takes place earlier in the off-season unless it's injury-related (which if we're suddenly in quick need of a frontline starter then trading away controllable talent would be pointless because we're not gonna compete this year), we don't have the farm system to pull it off.

Trading Odor + Gallo or Mazara + Gallo just shifts the starting pitching deficit to an offensive deficit. Probably an overall net positive, but not really worth rolling the dice on.
KT 90
AG
I'd do Odor-Gallo before I'd do Mazara-Gallo. We have Profar to potentially plug in at 2B. Mazara would leave a whole that would be harder to fill.

jtstanley4621
AG
Yeah. It's rare to get a player with as much potential as Mazara has at the age that he is. I would think he's basically untouchable. I also don't know what to think of Gallo still at all. The ceiling is so high, but he still needs so much work on his swing and plate approach.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Im not a fan of Gallo at all.

Watching him play at Round Rock drives me insane....I just dont see the attitude and hustle to get him to where he needs to be....I feel like he thinks he's already Barry Bonds

That swing is a thing of beauty though
KT 90
AG
The problem with trading Gallo away (and for pennies on the dollar most likely) is that he has the potential to do a Chris Davis on us and figure it out for another team. He has an opening at 1st base if he can figure things out though. It'll be a few more years before 3rd base opens up.

mhayden
Gallo is more valuable to Texas than he is anyone else, simply because he could fill a void at two potential holes for us (1B now, 3B when Beltre can't handle it anymore).

But I certainly would be fine with him being a piece of a mega-deal for a frontline starter, just don't think he has that kind of demand anymore though.

As for flipping Odor with him for Quintana and plugging Profar in... You're trading a 780+ OPS guy with HR power for, at this point, a 650+ OPS guy without much of it.

Now, the offense could swallow that hit for an added TORP... But then if Beltre declines, which is just a matter of time... Well, you end up in a situation that if Beltre and Gomez decline (which is probably 50/50), then your offense has little to no pop in it.

An Odor for Profar swap you could handle if we signed EE... But this offense isn't good enough to handle it now.
DallasAg 94
I've never met Gallo, nor seen him in person.

My general feel is he believes he needs to be with the Rangers and that his HR ability is enough. He doesn't seem to care that he Ks are high, or that he has other deficiencies. He doesn't seem like the type of person who works on his deficiencies, but one who works on his strengths. Those types often reach success early, fizzle out and then are out before ever reaching their full potential.

In MiLB, SPs are throwing to their strengths, with limited scouting to exploit hitters.

At the MLB level, SPs are going to attack your weakness and keep you from beating them. Players are well scouted and you have to adjust.

Gallo will never be of value to the Rangers if he continues to want to be Rob Deer. The Rangers are looking to win a WS... not just get fans excited about big blasts.

Gallo missed his opportunity in 2016. At 23, he is no longer a prospect and approaching the "former-prospect" status.

Evan Grant suggests 2/14 both Fielder and Diekman can move to the 60-DL, opening up spots on the 40, specifically Napoli. We sign Napoli to a 2-year, and Gallo is gone.

Odor\Profar and Gallo (plus?) for Quintana doesn't hurt. One of Odor\Profar plays 2B. We then have:
Beltre-Andrus-Profar\Odor-Napoli

And the Rangers WILL compete this year. They'll win the AL West... Likely the AL Pennant... and I'm betting on the WS.
TXAggie2011
AG
Odor probably doesn't move the needle much for the White Sox as far as Quintana is concerned. They have Quintana for 4 more seasons for no more than about $11 million.

You'd get Odor for 4 or 5? seasons and he'll be going through arbitration.

I'm not making that trade if Odor is the main prize. Obviously he's a decent young player that could improve, but you've got to add some substantial talent behind him in that trade otherwise the White Sox are just downgrading their roster to save a few million dollars.
TXAggie2011
AG
And based on the White Sox's actions so far, I'm not sure why Gallo would move the needle much, either.
jtstanley4621
AG
Yeah if I were the white sox I would ask for Mazara. And if I were the Rangers I would kindly say hell no to that. I don't think Odor and/or Gallo as headliners would be enough for them. Reliable, cheap pitching is such a crucial and rare commodity.
mhayden
I wasn't saying the Rangers won't compete as-is... I was saying if we're suddenly looking at Quintana because we've got a potential injury to one of our frontline guys (Hamels/Yu), then the season is pretty much shot anyways so no sense in trading talent.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Quote:

My general feel is he believes he needs to be with the Rangers and that his HR ability is enough. He doesn't seem to care that he Ks are high, or that he has other deficiencies. He doesn't seem like the type of person who works on his deficiencies, but one who works on his strengths.
This is the vibe I'm getting from some of the slightly odd behavior and Rangers treatment of him the past year or so. Feels like there is a bit of mutual frustration setting in.
94chem
I know the OBP is terrible and he is a negative defensively, but why are you guys so eager to unload a 23 year old guy who hit 33 bombs and plays with an edge? He's 23!

Also, I wonder if Odor could move to 3rd base in a few years? It's much more of a reflex position. He'll never be Beltre, but he could certainly be better than Michael Young or Cal Ripken. I see a guy who's gonna hit 400 HR, drive in 1500, and you guys wanna unload him. What gives?
94chem

Rougie's stats

Rougie is actually 23 today. Happy Birthday! Anyway, I posted the link so you can see his upward trends in BA, OPS, SB, HR...maybe he's not doing everything he needs to do to make management happy, but he made $550K last year and the curve is still headed up on production.

I'm aware that Trumbo posted a <1 WAR after hitting 47 HR, so power isn't everything...but where do you get 33 HR that you lose if you move Odor?

BTW, when I watch Mazara, I see very quick hands. He may develop into a big HR hitter, but I think he can be a high average, low K guy - more like Vlad Guerrero. Watch Mazara's ability to foul off pitches when he is down in the count - reminds me a lot of Josh Hamilton when he was in his prime and locked in.

jtstanley4621
AG
The most apparent flaw to me about Mazara's plate discipline to me was him swinging at breaking balls down and in to him. Outside of that, he's patient and fouls off pitches very well. If he can learn to lay off those breaking pitches, he has incredible potential as a hitter.
DallasAg 94
94chem said:

Rougie's stats

Rougie is actually 23 today. Happy Birthday! Anyway, I posted the link so you can see his upward trends in BA, OPS, SB, HR...maybe he's not doing everything he needs to do to make management happy, but he made $550K last year and the curve is still headed up on production.

I'm aware that Trumbo posted a <1 WAR after hitting 47 HR, so power isn't everything...but where do you get 33 HR that you lose if you move Odor?

BTW, when I watch Mazara, I see very quick hands. He may develop into a big HR hitter, but I think he can be a high average, low K guy - more like Vlad Guerrero. Watch Mazara's ability to foul off pitches when he is down in the count - reminds me a lot of Josh Hamilton when he was in his prime and locked in.
First, I don't think anyone is looking to unload Rougie.

I think we are looking at puzzle pieces and options.

With Rougie and Andrus... you are looking at two guys who can be something very special. At 23 (Happy Birthday Rougie, if you are reading this), Odor has 366 GP at 2B. He has 20 Triples, 57 HR and 192 RBI as a 2B'er.

Comparison, Kinsler is the team leader in most stats. Kinsler has 1066 GP, along with 23 Triples, 156 HRs and 539 RBI, as a Ranger (including all positions). I'm not going to break it out because I'd have to do it by year, but for his career, Kinsler has 36 GP as DH, and 11 as a PH. That is small enough to not worry about, right now.

Rougie could pass Kinsler in Triples, this season. Averaging 150 GP, he'll pass Kinsler in GP within 5 seasons. With only 25 HRs, Rougie passing Kinsler in 4 years. Rougie is currently 2nd All-Time in HRs for 2B with the Rangers. With 75 RBI, 5 seasons.

MYoung has 783 GP at SS. Andrus is the team All-time leader at 1188. He is 28.

That is mind-boggling.

Add Beltre who will be in the Top 2-3 of almost every 3B stat for all of MLB, and we need some Rings.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.