*****Official Texas Rangers 2017 Off-Season Thread*****

51,609 Views | 551 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Mr Gigem
Seven Costanza
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He's old, but I'd like to see Napoli back on a one year deal at 1B if possible.
DallasAg 94
Sorry to hear that about Thad... but good for him.

I agree Gallo is concerning. I'd still like to see him traded to someone who could better accept his boom-or-bust hitting. Tampa? Minnesota?

Looks like as I suggested, Texas has informed Holland that they will not pick-up his Option, unless they put a trade together. I think they will. What they get back is completely unknown for me. If the Rangers pay more, they will get more, obviously.

CF was mentioned as the priority to start things rolling. That doesn't surprise me.

Guzman - I'd think he is likely a year away.

If you pickup Holland's option and trade him for lower level prospects... You are less than the $11M owed for 2017. Use that to put Gomez in CF. Try to get Desmond in LF, so Mazara can play RF. I agree Choo to DH.

If you can get Desmond and Gomez in the OF... I think you can platoon Rua at 1B with Guzman until Guzman is ready. Rua can also play 4th OF. That will get you to the ASB, to find out if you have too big of a hole.

Then add a SP. Revisit Chris Sale. Profar and Gallo as a part of the package.

That would give you Hamels, Sale, Darvish, Perez then insert <AJG, resign Colby to 1 year, Martinez, Chi Chi, other minor leaguers, or sign someone>
DallasAg 94
Gallo out with hammy strain - 4 to 6 weeks.

Strike him off the trade list.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
It's a hammy strain not a torn ligament. I'd think he's still moveable.
KT 90
AG
Might as well keep him at this point, not going to get much for him in return. Give him a little more time to see if he can figure things out before giving him away for pennies on the dollar for what we could've gotten for him a year ago or so.

PatAg
AG
Screw Nelson Cruz
TXAggie2011
AG
Its just a hammy strain; it's fine.

It is disappointing in the sense that it cuts hit winter season in Venezuela short a few weeks, would have liked him to play well and up his trade value (whether or not we wanted trade him). But oh well, it'll be okay.
TXAggie2011
AG
If not already mentioned, Elvis Andrus had surgery for a sports hernia. He's out 6 weeks, too.
DallasAg 94
News? Anything?
DallasAg 94
Holland's option declined. Will become get $1.5M and become FA. That takes $9.5M off of 2017 and similar for 2018.

Looks like Carlos Gomez is seeking a multi-year deal. I like him on a 1-year, but not multi-year.

I'm guessing the Rangers may lose both Gomez and Desmond.

Shall be interesting.

Why am I even following this?!
TXAggie2011
AG
Gomez was always going to look for multiple years. That would irresponsible not to.

I long-ago tired of Holland so no complaints here.

Desmond was always here for a free agency audition. He didn't have an incentice to sign with the Rangers except maybe in that June timeframe when he looked all-world. Otherwise he does the pocketbook no favors. Of course in June it's too risky as a club to bite on that hook.
COOL LASER FALCON
No more Knoxy

DannyDuberstein
AG
They've officially bled every last bit of personality out of the broadcast.
Cynical_Texan
AG
SIAP - http://www.lonestarball.com/2016/11/7/13555586/no-derek-holland-trade-per-sullivan

No more Holland on the Rangers. Bout time.
DannyDuberstein
AG
No market for him at all. All they were really looking to do was avoid paying the $1.5 million. They would have taken a bag of baseballs for him if someone would pick up the $11 million.
jtstanley4621
AG
Let's get Ben Stein to be the crowd guy. His tone of voice will match well with Raymond.
DannyDuberstein
AG
And not even a bag of good balls. A bag of balls that they fished out of the pond by the Dr Pepper Youth Ballpark.
DannyDuberstein
AG
By the way, Knoxy said they were taking the broadcast in a "new direction". I don't think that is true. The broadcast team has been headed in one direction since firing Lewin at the end of 2010. Instead, I would have said they "continue to take the broadcast in the direction of the ****ter".
Seven Costanza
AG
I'm kind of bummed about seeing Knox go, despite him adding almost no value to the broadcast whatsoever. How will I find out that Sue Ann and Jim Bob drove all the way in from Waskom on their 25th anniversary to see the Rangers?
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yep, his segment isn't necessary to a baseball broadcast, but i thought he did a great job of taking just a minute or two to add some energy and fun to a broadcast that has been mostly devoid of it since dumping Lewin. And over time, there were some absolute classic moments - mostly with olds. Extreme olds.
Seven Costanza
AG
Agreed. I liked the guy and thought he was great at his mostly useless job. That's not an easy role to not suck at.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, Junior Miller had that job many years ago, and every time he talks about it he can't emphasize enough how horrible and difficult it was. But Knoxy was great at it. It's a 3+ hour baseball hame. There's plenty of time for one minute of energetic nonsense with the locals.
Joe Cole
what are odds that blonde girl becomes the new Knoxie?

rather be fishing
AG
Please give me Michael Young and Rusty Greer in the booth. I wouldn't care how many games the Rangers win, but I'd watch every game.
Mr Gigem
AG
Joe Cole said:

My guess is the replacement will be Kaime Stroot. Google her if you don't know who that is. She used to be one of the FSSW girls with Liddy Bisanz
rather be fishing
AG
AccidentProne said:

Joe Cole said:

My guess is the replacement will be Kaime Stroot. Google her if you don't know who that is. She used to be one of the FSSW girls with Liddy Bisanz
There's also noody pics of her out there.
Mr Gigem
AG
rather be fishing said:

AccidentProne said:

Joe Cole said:

There's also noody pics of her out there.

Facts
The Collective
AG
Election day!
Joe Cole
that probably makes sense. I was always Team Liddy myself

mavsfan4ever
AG
Any news on how the stadium vote is looking?
Mr Gigem
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

I saw something earlier today that said it was even at 42%
TXAggie2011
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

I begrudgingly voted yes and my parents, who are smart folks but I think were kind of blindly in favor of the stadium, voted yes, of course.

So, that's 3-0.

More seriously, that's been the tone with people I've talked to. Some say no, but my gut says it passes with a lot of displeased supporters. We want the stadium in principle, don't like this particular deal, but are afraid of playing chicken with the Rangers.

If there weren't some concrete, detailed plans of the surrounding "Texas Live" development, I may have voted "no" and taken my chances that the whole thing blew up and the Rangers moved in 10 years.
option short side
AG
Betlre and Moreland gold glove winners.
bert harbinson
Mr Gigem
AG
Gonna get that new stadium

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.