*****Official Texas Rangers 2017 Off-Season Thread*****

51,612 Views | 551 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Mr Gigem
double aught
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AccidentProne said:

Gonna get that new stadium
DannyDuberstein
AG
AC
Mr Gigem
AG
Elaborate
double aught
AG
The new stadium campaign was deceptive. There's no current threat of the Rangers leaving Arlington, but that scare tactic was certainly used. The earliest the team could leave is 2025. And to say this plan doesn't increase taxes is disingenuous at best. That 50/50 split seems to be BS too.

But if the voters want it, then that's their business. I live in Dallas county, so it won't raise my taxes. I'll just go out and enjoy the AC.
Mr Gigem
AG
What makes you think there wasn't a threat for the Rangers to leave? They'd love to go to downtown Dallas and tap into the booming north Dallas market.
Cappo
double aught
AG
AccidentProne said:

What makes you think there wasn't a threat for the Rangers to leave? They'd love to go to downtown Dallas and tap into the booming north Dallas market.
Dallas doesn't have a stadium proposal. No one does aside from Arlington. Dallas sales tax is maxed out. The city would have to float bonds or put together private funds. None of that is anywhere close. There's no threat.
mhayden
You said it in your previous post -- this current deal isn't up until 2025 so there wasn't exactly a dire need for the funds to be there at this point.

But as others have said, this is basically the same game of chicken that the ownerships around the nation play with the fanbases, and most of the time the ownership gets what they want.

It would have been interesting to see how this vote would have turned out had the Rangers struggled the last 4-5 years to put a winner out on the field. I wonder if that would have swayed the vote enough from people taking the stance of "I'm not going to pay more taxes for a ****ty ballclub".
mhayden
And for the record, I like the idea of air conditioning, but I do not like that this will lead to Rangers jacking up prices.
Mr Gigem
AG
The Rangers have the 4th lowest average cost of tickets. It's natural to expect the tickets prices to increase, but how much do think they would increase with the new stadium?
TXAggie2011
AG
AccidentProne said:

They should have waited until closer to 2025 and made a deal with Dallas. Perhaps they didn't because they secretly believe that's not realistic.

They were purely opportunistic and held this over our heads in Arlington, trying to play the same aggressive populist scare-tactic game that we saw elsewhere on the ballot.

I'm not just annoyed by the Rangers. City leadership did not treat the deal from a more objective, "this is what we negotiated, what do you think" viewpoint. City leadership got in bed with the Rangers, couldn't answer a question straight, and we were left trying to figure out some complicated economics and were in a hopelessly difficult position in a game of chicken.

The deal sucks; its a huge step-back compared to the former Ballpark, and even Cowboys Stadium. And its absolutely strained what had been a pretty successful 45 year relationship between the Rangers and Arlington.

I voted for the stadium because I hadn't a clue what would happen if I didn't---with the Rangers and Arlington Live. But 40% of Arlington didn't and I know many other begrudging supporters.
TXAggie2011
AG
AccidentProne said:

The Rangers have the 4th lowest average cost of tickets. It's natural to expect the tickets prices to increase, but how much do think they would increase with the new stadium?
According to Fangraphs, its been anything from about 9 percent in New York to 55% in Miami. I guess we shall see.
mhayden
AccidentProne said:

Average cost of tickets can be a bit deceiving as Rangers Ballpark is a very large ballpark with a lot of upper level seating and no true "club" seating -- at least not any that is in true "club" demand (Lexus Club Box is priced like prime seating, but it doesn't have the amenities of a true "club" seat).

But even with that I think Rangers pricing is very fair for the product out on the field -- but that is also because they realize that the summertime heat sale is a tough one.

Smaller stadium, more "luxury" seating... It will be interesting to see. At the end of the day, it's still in Arlington, TX which still makes it a very tough corporate sale from a season ticket standpoint.

Have they given you guys any indication on how pricing will be?
Mr Gigem
AG
free_mhayden said:

AccidentProne said:

Average cost of tickets can be a bit deceiving as Rangers Ballpark is a very large ballpark with a lot of upper level seating and no true "club" seating -- at least not any that is in true "club" demand (Lexus Club Box is priced like prime seating, but it doesn't have the amenities of a true "club" seat).

But even with that I think Rangers pricing is very fair for the product out on the field -- but that is also because they realize that the summertime heat sale is a tough one.

Smaller stadium, more "luxury" seating... It will be interesting to see. At the end of the day, it's still in Arlington, TX which still makes it a very tough corporate sale from a season ticket standpoint.

Have they given you guys any indication on how pricing will be?
Just curious, what would you say are the amenities of a true "club" seat?

To answer your question about new stadium pricing... We haven't been given any indication yet, but I'm sure that's something the higher ups have already started discussing.

mhayden
Eh... Honestly couldn't tell you RE club... I guess it's easier to differentiate at a place like an A&M or a TCU where alcohol sales is the significant difference. Since everyone can drink anywhere at the ballpark, the club just doesn't seem like it's worth the price, at least in the Lexus Club level.

Though to be fair, they are the best seats in the ballpark for watching the game.
Mr Gigem
AG
Don't forget that the Lexus Club Infield and Lexus Club Box seats also have access to the Capital One Club behind home plate.

I agree that the Lexus club is the best place to view the game. That's where I sit whenever I go to games as a fan
TXAggie2011
AG
Where does the average cost come in when you factor the $20 they now charge for general parking?

I can park at a Dodgers game in expensive Los Angeles for half the cost at $10. I can park for 3 or 4 bucks tops in downtown Houston and in the team lots for $10.
TXAggie2011
AG
Most club levels now are spacious, have fully air-conditioned concourses, often decently good looking floors, furniture, decoration, have relatively robust alcohol and food options, etc. and they'll be like this throughout the ballpark.

I haven't been in the Rangers club level in a bit, but the last time at least it wasn't close to what you'd experience in say Houston, San Francisco and some other club levels I've sat in.
Mr Gigem
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Most club levels now are spacious, have fully air-conditioned concourses, often decently good looking floors, furniture, decoration, have relatively robust alcohol and food options, etc. and they'll be like this throughout the ballpark.

I haven't been in the Rangers club level in a bit, but the last time at least it wasn't close to what you'd experience in say Houston, San Francisco and some other club levels I've sat in.
I believe this will be incorporated in the new ballpark
TXAggie2011
AG
I don't doubt it, especially if they go with the design ripped off from Houston.

Just trying to define my vision of a "club level."
Mr Gigem
AG
I'm going to be 100% honest right now... I've never been to any other ballpark outside of the Rangers
Mr Gigem
AG
Mozart Paintings
AG
AccidentProne said:

I'm going to be 100% honest right now... I've never been to any other ballpark outside of the Rangers
what the f?
LeFraud
Adrian Beltre and Mitch Moreland both with Gold Gloves. Ian Kinsler also was awarded one...
MSFC Aggie
AG
Back to baseball...

Quote:

I'm guessing the Rangers may lose both Gomez and Desmond.
I'm totally ok losing Gomez.

Desmond was complete trash the first month. Went nuclear for a couple of months. Then very meh the rest of the way. If price is too much, not sure I want him back. Sounds like he may be headed to Baltimore.
DallasAg 94
QO for Desmond means a Comp Pick, if he leaves, right?!

Take the pick, IMO.

If you are looking at Ranger's playing this Winter...

Here are the Rangers players.

Of note...
Alberto: 13 G, .368, 2 HR
Ariel Jurado: 5GS, 18.0 IP, 3.00 ERA
Nick Martinez: 4GS, 15.0 IP, 5.40 ERA

Jurado is a 20 year old SP who finished the season with Frisco (AA). Barring injury or setback... could be a 2018 option for the rotation. Where as, Nick Martinez (25) is likely pitching for a spot on the 40.

Others...
Jairo Beras: 1G
Chirinos: 3G
DeShields: 4G
Gallo: 3G
Leclerc: 5G, 4.2 IP

I mention some of the others because it seems sometimes guys go there for only couple games, but no meaningful number of games.

Any word on Colby Lewis? I think he is done.

Darvish, Hamels & Perez set.

I think Yo Mendez (21) might see time in 2017, but not out of ST.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Desmond declined offer.

AggieDPT
AG
Not surprising. At the very least we get a draft pick now.
KT 90
AG
Alabaster Jones said:

Yeah, there was no way he was going to take it. He wants a multi-year deal.

PatAg
AG
KT 90 said:

Alabaster Jones said:

Yeah, there was no way he was going to take it. He wants a multi-year deal.

Think we dodged a bullet, personally.
DannyDuberstein
AG
He was never taking another one year deal. Safest bet ever to ensure at least a draft pick.
jtstanley4621
AG
I wish Desmond the best. He was for sure a great teammate, and locker room presence. I'm glad he's found a new position for himself, and wish him success wherever he goes.
DannyDuberstein
AG
He's not necessarily gone. They could still negotiate a multi-year deal with him. This is only the completely expected step 1 - they offer a 1 year qualifier to ensure they get a draft pick while he turns it down to negotiate the long-term deal he's banking on (which they are still in play for, in theory).
DallasAg 94
Since the Rangers didn't pickup Holland's, COT'S has their 2017 budget at $110M, right now. That includes $2M for Hamilton and Prince's insurance reimbursement. It doesn't include Serfs and Arbs.

Contracts (8)
SP: Hamels, Darvish, Perez
OF: Choo
IF: Beltre, Andrus
C: Lucroy
RP: Barnette

Arbs (6):
SP: AJG
RP: Diekman, Scheppers, Dyson, Jeffress
C: Chirinos

Serfs <of note> (15)
SP: Chi Chi
OF: Deshields, Rua, Hoying, Mazara
IF: Odor, Alberto, Gallo, Profar
RP: Kela, Faulkner, Jackson, Alvarez, Claudio, Bush

Needs - OF (2), 1B, SP, Closer. Anything missing?

I think with the new stadium approved and on the way... Originally, I thought the Rangers would shy away from a long-term with Desmond... but Hollands $10M may allow it to happen.

If they do nothing, I think they are a .500 team.

Still think Profar for a SP.
Mr Gigem
AG
20-game plans are going sale soon. Past buyers will have a priority window starting tomorrow through 12/12, but if you're interested and didn't have one last year, I'll still work with you.

Also, we have a Black Friday deal going on where if you purchase a 20-game plan Nov. 25-27, then you get a FREE 21st game.

Let me know if you're interested!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.