Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

As per request: Old A&M pictures

368,049 Views | 864 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ABATTBQ87
KRT-1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Very moving.
DripAG08
AG
one word....amazing

thanks for sharing
DevilD77
AG
aggie1944, whatever you do, take the time to tell you kids about what you experienced in the war. My grandfather fought in WW1 and never talked to his sons about it, even though both served during WWII (my uncle as a pilot flying the hump in Burma, and my father as an air cadet). When I was in the Army, I did get him to talk about it once, but he never did again. But that one time, I realized what a true hero my grandfather was.

Don't deprive your children of that feeling.
halffullag
rke82
AG
Outstanding. Been trying to view these photos at work all week, but could not see them. Thanks for sharing.
texag2206
AG
Awesome! Thanks '44!
S.A. Aggie
AG
My Dad and Uncle (85 year old twins) were class of 46. I do believe I recognize my dad in one of those pics. I'll have to show these to him and my Uncle.
litig8r187
AG
Thank You!!!

My father grew up in Grimes County, graduated from Navasota HS in '37 and began A&M. He, too had his education interrupted by the war. He joined the Air Corp and flew B-25s out of Corsica. Married my Mom (a Grimes County Girl) in '42 while on leave. He returned to A&M and graduated in '48. He remained in Bryan as a Highway Engineer (Resident Engineer) until the early '60s when I was born in Bryan.

He very well could be in some of those photos. They brought a great deal of joy to my heart and a tear to my eye. My father has passed but my Mom is still alive. I can not wait to show her these pictures. She so loves BCS and A&M.

Thank you
txagbq2009
AG
Awesome pictures! Thank your for posting them and thank you for your service!
deadelephant98
AG
awesome pics - thanks for sharing!
MidnightBevo
aggie44,

I know there are a ton of responses on here, but I just wanted to ask again if you were okay with me copying some of these pictures. If not I understand. Thanks.
aggie1944
I don't mind if you copy them. I ask that you don't publish them though.
AgMeg09
ArmyDoc
AG
1944...First and foremost, thank you for your service, and thank you for taking the time to post your pictures. As all of my grandfathers served during WWII (including one to land at Normandy at around H hour plus 5 or so), I have always been fascinated to see images/movies/etc from the War. I do not know you, I will never know you, but seeing pictures taken by a fellow Aggie makes me feel like I am looking at pictures from a member of my own family. There is sense of ultra-realism that you do not get from looking pictures in books or those shown on television.

Also, I am always in awe of the modesty that your generation exhibits. "We just did our job." "Everyone else would have done the same thing." "I'm not a hero, but I served with a bunch of them." Never have I met a veteran of WWII who wanted any of the tremendous amount of credit that they deserved. And that just goes further to cement with me the sentiment that you sir are indeed a member of the greatest generation that our country has ever and likely will ever know. As an active duty officer in the US Army currently, I am proud of our soldiers today. I am proud of the young men and women that I serve with. But I am fully convinced that many of today's soldiers would not be able to stand up to the rigors of the European or Pacific Theatres, myself likely included in that statement. Furthermore, I am fully convinced that America will never again respond to ANYTHING the way She did to the attack at Pearl. I don't mean this to be an indictment of any person on this board, but more so of today's society in general. At least my little piece of the world right now is inhabited with people who don't have enough respect for their fellow man to stop texting while driving 80mph on the highway, to hold open a door for someone behind them, or to even acknowledge that another human being other than themselves has a need in this world, much less to go to war for their country. The sense of self entitlement and of being "owed" something simply because you are alive in America sickens me.

Thankfully, you kids in 1941 were raised differently and thought differently. You went half a world away from your friends and family, many of you before you were legally able to vote or buy a beer. You lived through a hell that no one else will ever know or could ever imagine. You fought. You fought for your country. You fought for people all across your country. People you did not and would not ever know. You kids over there doing your job did something that will likely never be done again, not because of lack of conflict, but because of lack of people who care enough to do what you did. You fought. You won. You did nothing less than save the world. And for that, I will eternally be grateful to you and your fellow WWII veterans.
jballow
Thanks for the pictures. I really enjoyed them.
BlackHillsAg99
AG
Been on TexAgs since it was pretty new, and this is by far the best thread I've ever seen on here. Thanks for sharing.
powerbiscuit
I found a couple of old pictures from aTm during this era that I purchased a while back. The pictures were taken sometime in the 40's (I think).

I'm only adding them because they have the same "ELKO" mark that was discussed a little earlier. I thought I had that mark in some old family photos, but it was "FOXCO". I have no idea what either one of those means.

[This message has been edited by powerbiscuit (edited 1/28/2010 9:44p).]

[This message has been edited by powerbiscuit (edited 1/28/2010 9:45p).]
Ukraine Gas Expert
AG
Holy Crap Those Are AMAZING!!!!!!!
Tag77
What great picture!

sleepybeagle
AG
Awesome stuff!
Phil Garner
Those WW2 parades must have been amazing. I may have it wrong but, I got goose bumps imagining the energy and excitement at those.
Bill Boyett
Howdy, aggie1944
My family owned the campus theatre
and you have a better picture than
we have. Would love to talk to you.
Bill Boyett
GCRanger
AG
Thank you for sharing. These are fantastic.

My dad came in just a few years after you. He was class of '52.

Gig 'em
the_phoenix612
AG
Pinups on the wall show that boys never really change.

Gig em!
3Daggie
AG
Simply inspiring! God bless '44!
chico
AG
|
pictures of mom on the desk, pictures of starlets on the wall!
ThomasAg88
AG
excellent!
Wildcat
JMH
AG
Thank you sir. I wasn't expecting this thread to be one of the best I've ever seen on TexAgs when I opened it. We need more of these threads! My grandfather served and died when I was 15 so I wasn't to interested in his past. Now I would bug the heck outta him to hear about his experiences. If I was your family I would be interested in anything you had to share.
aggie1944
Here are some more I managed to find in another photo album.

The war is now over

Camp Philip Morris near Le Harve, Fr.

Red Cross Club. Camp Philip Morris

Theater. Camp Philip Morris

Chapel. Camp Philip Morris

Barracks. Camp Philip Morris

Inside barracks

Boat Shipment List. Awaiting your number to return home.

Docks

The Sedalia Victory. My ride home.

Nine days at sea on the journey home.

Back at A&M 1946. The Fighting Texas Aggie Band.

Bon Fire 1946

I may be mistaken, but this is the first year I recall a crane being used.

mlambert77
AG
Aggie44, these pictures are amazing. Thank you for taking, preserving, and posting them on here.

[This message has been edited by mlambert77 (edited 1/29/2010 4:22p).]
AggieSVT
AG
I guess votes is one way to look at it. I choose to look at 310 replies and 26k+ views in only 3 days as proof of the positive support for this thread.

aggie1944 - I sure hope you have more, I have really enjoyed seeing them!! Thanks!!
74Ag1
AG
Great job 44 from another x4...74

gig 'em
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Those Bonfire pictures made my day.
Fightin Texas Aggie 01

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.