Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

As per request: Old A&M pictures

368,094 Views | 864 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ABATTBQ87
Brazos Ag 1970
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bump
fooz
Post 666
ChiefKiefton
666 comments eh?
aggiegirl13
AG
SATAN'S NUMBER DESTROYED
Teddy Perkins
AG

Here's a pic of my Grandfather, class of '49, in his dorm room in Hart hall. My Grandfather was the first one of his family to go to school after high school. He worked some hellish jobs to pay for it too including helping to build the bridges along highway 22 in Bosque county. He remembers working in over 100 degree weather pushing wheelbarrows of concrete down two by four ramps into deep canyons they’d dug for the bridge supports. He said the heat in the bottom of the ditches was unbelievable.

He actually passed down his Aggie ring to me which I wear to this day. He turned 85 recently and is still in great health.

fooz
quote:
666 comments eh?

I love Jesus bro. Relax.
CoolAggie
AG
ttt. Just to get our minds off certain NCAA type stuff.
Spider Monkey
AG
One of my favorite threads. Gig'em!
Jugstore Cowboy
shano0603
andrewe
67walkon
Every time I see these pics I have flashbacks. My Dad class of '53 (should have been '45 post war) came back to finish he degree in 1950. Was A WWII carrier pilot. Post war test pilot. We lived in "splinter village". Wally Moon lived across the hall. Had 3 brothers and sister. Saw my first Bonfire on Simpson in front of the MSC. First football game on Kyle in 1951. A&M 21 Baylor 21. Bob Smith & Yale Lary. Wooden bleachers. I dated about 10 Rangerettes while at Kilgore for a year. Gussy Nell watched like a hawk. Looks like my room in Hart. My father in law '43 lived and was a house dad in the project house at the end of Kyle across from South Gate. Whoop

[This message has been edited by 67walkon (edited 1/29/2014 8:49p).]

[This message has been edited by 67walkon (edited 1/29/2014 8:56p).]
Cedar Bayou Ag
AG
Wow never seen this thread before! Good bull!
Ol Waco Ag
AgsForTheWin
twogoatsfn
AG
quote:
The girl's drill team at Kyle Field in Aggie 1941's photos is the Bengal Guard of Orange (Texas) High School.
Yep, my grandmother is somewhere in those pics. She would tell me stories about getting to march on Kyle. Her visit to College Station made such a positive impact on her that she made sure her son (My Dad) went to A&M...thus influencing a long line of Aggies in my family.

Bengal Guards:
http://www.bengalguards.com/page2/files/page2-1009-full.html
crackyjoe
Awesomeness
AgCat93
AG
quote:
when did the texas aggies in the horseshoe part of the stadium go away?

Long gone when I started there in 1989. Come to think of it, I don't remember seeing it during the early 80s.
Helms96
AG
That's some Good AGGIE BULL right there.

Thanks for the history and sharing

CLASS of '96
P-2 C.O.
Jarhead
President of the Malaysia Aggie Club
twogoatsfn
AG
The opening pics by the OP were taken on November 2nd 1940. Texas A&M vs. Arkansas.

The following from The Eagle. Oct. 30, 1940 that provides some gameday info.

COLLEGE STATION, Oct. 30.— Brigadier General Walter B. Pyron of Houston, commander of the 156th Cavalry Brigade, Texas National Guard, will be the guest of honor at the Military Field Day at Texas A. & M. College Saturday, Nov, 2, and will be given a 11-gun salute fired by the honor battery of the Field Artillery Regiment as he enters the Kyle Field Stadium to attend the football game between Texas A. &. M. and the University of Arkansas, both military training schools. Prior to the game all seven units of the Reserve Officers Training Corps at the college will participate in a display of material used in preparing the 6543 students to become commissioned officers in the reserve. As an added attraction at the football game, the Bengal Guards, crack marching and musical organization from Orange High School, will perform between the halves of the game, taking up the full period usually divided between the two playing schools. The Bengal Guards are sponsored by -J. Lutcher Stark, Orange philanthropist, who makes possible the instruction, uniforms, transportation and other expenses of this famed all-girl organization. i j They appeared at the Sugar I Bowl football game last January and more recently in Chicago, 111,, ! where thev made a tremendous hit.

[This message has been edited by 2billfighter (edited 1/29/2014 11:35p).]
thebubbaisin
AG
Best ttt in a long time!
tamc12
AG
Awesome pictures!
FTA011
AG

Looks so innocent back in the day....

Now it's one of the trashiest places on NG
bwmammoth
ftworthag02
AG
will never forget Pat Green & Cory Morrow at shadow canyon and then stumbling back to the commons
manyhats2
AG
Wonderful look into history. Thank you!
manyhats2
war hymn aggie
sleepybeagle
AG

1940 - A medical researcher visits the deserted home of a pioneer in cryogenic science who disappeared 10 years earlier and finds him frozen in ice but still alive.

[This message has been edited by sleepybeagle (edited 1/30/2014 10:34a).]
BryanAggie2013
Maroon Flash
AG
Awesome pictures sir! Please post more!
aggie1944
Found another old photo album and will post some more pics when I can get around to it.
ABATTBQ87
AG
That 49 ring was not the original ring; Texas A&M University vs A&M College of Texas
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
quote:
Don't know if you realize, but the skinny little LT in the last few pictures posted by MattGigem is some guy who later starred in a movie about a juvenile delinquent who turned over a new leaf and made a success of his life by joining the Corps at A&M. I suspect the photos are from when the LT was made an honorary Cadet Colonel of the Corps. Too bad you can't see the top left ribbon on his uniform. Looks something like this:

Just to make sure things are accurate, Audie Murphy did not attend Texas A&M. He never attended college. During special and unprecedented ceremonies at Texas A&M University on Feb. 12, 1949, Murphy became the first honorary cadet Colonel in the history of the institution, thus making him an honorary Aggie. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audie_Murphy
Sorry if I was unclear. Was just pointing out that Murphy expressed the opinion once that he'd like to have gone to A&M, and one of his first movies was about a kid who went to A&M.
Texas_40
AG
This thread has delivered for 5 years now...good job and thanks again, sir!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.