Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

As per request: Old A&M pictures

368,037 Views | 864 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ABATTBQ87
EVA3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
GOOD BULL.
EVA3
AG
quote:
It amazes me how dressed up people got to watch a parade...

People dressed that way for sporting events well into the 70s and some even held over into the 80s.

I'm 37, and I remember coats, ties, and dresses being commonplace in Kyle Field, even early in the season.

I'm told my dad was very perturbed that my mother wore slacks, rather than a dress, to the 1968 Cotton Bowl.
jeep
AG
Great stuff. Thanks so much for sharing!
Meatball35
Amazing! Thank you for sharing your pictures and God bless you for your service, sir.
nai06
AG
FYI some of the digital archive is back online on flickr. A lot of it is unorganized though. here is just a sample of a few I saw while browsing through

MojoAg
AG
Threads like THIS are what makes TexAgs great.

Thank you aggie1944 for posting and especially for your service!
agsalaska
AG
Speechless

Thank you 1944
powerbiscuit
It looks like that last bonefire is on Simpson drill field.

Is that where early bonfires were held?
wee_ag
AG
Absolutely incredible! Thanks for posting...

I use to work in Cushing and they've got some more great historic photos...

Looks like those are the ones from Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cushinglibrary/

nai06
AG
yeah they are. I did a brief stint at cushing back in 04.

really neat job. I got to hold the game ball from the 39 tu game, signed by the whole team.
MidTnAg
AG
I have some pics my dad ('34) took but I don't know much about them. Never knew him. They were given to me recently and unfortunately, I have no one to ask about them.
kismet82
AG
Thank you sir!
OrdAg81
AG
Powerbicut - yes bonfires were on the main drill field for years - remember We've Never Been Licked" and the seeing the Bonfire out of the window? Not sure when it was moved to Duncan Field.
Vestal_Flame
AG
Thank you for what you did.

Thank you for preserving what you saw.

Thank you for sharing it with the rest of us.
powerbiscuit
unfortunately, I never saw the movie
Homie
AG
Amazing...just amazing.

Thank you!
nai06
AG
quote:
I have some pics my dad ('34) took but I don't know much about them. Never knew him. They were given to me recently and unfortunately, I have no one to ask about them.

post on here if you like, theres quite a few of us that might be able to identify them. Or, go through the digital archives till you find a match.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cushinglibrary/collections/72157616940540576/
atfarmer
great thread. thanks for taking the time to upload all these photos
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
The group picture of the Corps was in '47 I believe and was used in Life magazine . They did a segment on the Corps showing cadets with dates on a weekend ball. I have a copy but it's out of place right now.

maybe somebody can scan some photos from Life. A couple of Phead friends are in the pictures.
cdb1956
Just wanted to post back to EVA about wearing dress/slacks to 1968 Cotton Bowl. That was my Christmas present that year ... my widowed mother took me. She wore slacks to the game, too. Made fun of her for bringing large Safeway paper sacks to game so we could stand in them to keep the freezing air from swiling around our feet ... told her that there was no way I was going to stand in such a thing in front of people ... by the end of the 1st quarter I was standing in my paper sack and happy for it ... she never said anything about my change of mind/heart ... after that, I tried never to say anything else about any of her home remedies again.
1978oldag
AG
Thanks 44 for the great pics. My day was class of '46 but he never talked too much about life at A&M then and no pics from there that I know of. We lost him in '04 and it was nice to be able to take a little bit of a trip through what he lived for a little bit. Thanks again.
chet_75
AG
Thanks for sharing and thanks to you & everyone since who have done their duty.
I especially enjoyed the aircraft pics and the Fightin Texas Aggie Band.
tarrantcountyag
tree91
AG
Thanks, 1944! What a treasure you have allowed us to see!
OrdAg81
AG
The dresses to football games lasted into the 80s. The girls dressed up and we used to buy mums (flowers) for our dates at every game. The mums were similar to homecoming mum - every game was homecoming. I finally bought my fiance a silk one so i didn't have to buy a new one every game.
BQZip01
AG
Aggie1944, thanks for the 1st-hand history lesson via photos. I have noted your request to not publish the photos, but would like to use them on Wikipedia. This requires these images to be released under a "free" license. Many of these licenses can still include some basic restrictions (credit given to author, etc).

If you are interested, please let me know.
ints2010
MB19
AG
This is also a fascinating history lesson as well.

Thank you Sir for sharing.
sharpdressedman
Thanks for sharing!
shinerbalk
torbush. nice
Sink Maggots
page 10!
KC Aggie
AG
Thanks!
OrdAg81
AG
aggie1944 - Thanks again so much. Rob Cox '44 just passed of cancer recently. He used to mention his time at A&M and the war. Y'all are examples for us all.
Thirsty Third
AG
Aggie 44, I am so grateful for the chance to see your photos. My dad was a Navy vet. who went to A&M after the war. He was a "non-reg," but Aggie through and through. He's gone now, but his love for A&M is still living in our family.

It is awesome to see a "corps trip" in the '40s and to realize that I wore the exact same uniform marching through Fort Worth and other places in the '60s.

Thanks so much.

Highway 6 runs both ways...
texasred08
Amazing

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.