Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

As per request: Old A&M pictures

368,052 Views | 864 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ABATTBQ87
mcag83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
rojack
AG
My Dad was a Jr. Fish in the Fall of 1939, graduated in 1941. Lived at the South end of Kyle Field in the white barracks. I have a intramural football pic of Southgate v. Northgate. Will get it posted. Not sure about all the traditions back then-but one has to remember that most students came from very tough depression era backgrounds and Texas Agricultural and Mechanical College was in a war mode.
COSCAggie03
AG

GrapevineAg
AG
Love this thread! Hope it's not out of line for me to include this pic (not mine):

PikesPeakAg
AG
Best Place on Earth ! Great to see the old pics.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Squadron7
AG
Thread bumped for excellence!
MorgansPoint
AG
Wow.
Squadron7
AG
quote:
Love this thread! Hope it's not out of line for me to include this pic (not mine):

Randolph Duke's head exploding in 3...2....1
West Point Aggie
AG
Amazing how no part of that horseshoe now exists! The oldest part of Kyle is now from 1967??
Squadron7
AG
quote:

Odd. I remember G. Rollie being bigger.
Old Ag 74
AG
^
^
That's not G Rollie. That is the old field house that was on the NW corner of Kyle Field. G Rollie was on the NE Corner.
dws
Is the date on that pic November 28, 1941?

If so, Pearl Harbor and WWII is a little over a week away. Amazing.
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
Is the date on that pic November 28, 1941?

If so, Pearl Harbor and WWII is a little over a week away. Amazing.
The good guys were outscored by the 'sips that day. Looking at the history, on December 6, 1941, the Ags traveled to Tacoma, Washington, and beat Washington State 7-0. Can you imagine those football players on the train back to College Station as they got the news of Pearl Harbor that Sunday?

Lots of their buddies were in the Philippines at the time. When General Moore got transferred from the Commandant of Cadets to command of Corregidor, he took with him several newly-commissioned cadets to what was considered a prime assignment. Oops.

And the building is DeWare Fieldhouse, which still had a BB court in my day, but had a bunch of racquetball courts where the bleachers used to be. I think you can also discern Downs Natatorium to the west of DeWare.
45-70Ag
AG
So the baseball field...........it was next door to Kyle at one time?
agcrock2005
AG
This thread is awesome!
aglaes
AG
quote:
quote:

Odd. I remember G. Rollie being bigger.
Not sure if you are kidding or serious, but the building your see to the right of the horseshoe is not G Rollie, it's the Deware Field House. It was still standing when I enrolled at A&M in 1981 and had been converted into some really crappy racquetball courts. I actually played racquetball there a few times.

http://www.myaggienation.com/campus_evolution/demolished_buildings/charles-deware-field-house/article_4f035f12-138a-11e3-9f5c-001a4bcf887a.html
duffelpud
AG
I played a few games there as well. It was next to the really crappy pool where we would go for eye candy.
Aggie
AG
Deware field house stood until the 90's. When construction on the zone started in 1998 is when it may of come down but I'm not 100% certain. But Deware was still there I know at least until fall of 1993.
Pretty sure the old swimming/ diving pool next to it was still there also at that time.

And yes for the guy above.. The baseball stadium at that time was located right next to Kyle on the same side of wellborn road.
Olsen was opened in 1978.
Softball field back then sat at the NW corner of the Olsen field lot.. It was where the REC center volleyball courts currently are.
Of course there was no rec center then..that area was the intramural softball fields.

Unbelievable how much has changed just in the last 30 -40 years alone.
Squadron7
AG
quote:
Not sure if you are kidding or serious,

I was kidding. I remember good old Deware...with its handball courts up in the rafters with the bats.
Brewmaster
AG
Can we get the OP at least a Spirit tag?
certainly deserves one
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
Can we get the OP at least a Spirit tag?
certainly deserves one
Or created the oldest Texag-er tag? He's got to be >90
DecadePlan
AG
Like OP, this thread is timeless TexAgs greatness. I'd like for our Greatest Generation friend to check in. Honestly, it's important that we take care of this great man as long as God grants him time on earth.
kblake
mcag83
AG
Cappy407
AG
Amazing thread. Thank you OP for sharing. And most of all, thank you for your service.

Greatest generation indeed. Gig 'em!
agmrpink
AG
OP, you sir are incredible!

Thanks and Gig 'em
Sharpshooter
AG
Wow, how have I missed this thread all these years? Thank you OP.
AgCat93
AG
quote:
Deware field house stood until the 90's. When construction on the zone started in 1998 is when it may of come down but I'm not 100% certain. But Deware was still there I know at least until fall of 1993.
Pretty sure the old swimming/ diving pool next to it was still there also at that time.

And yes for the guy above.. The baseball stadium at that time was located right next to Kyle on the same side of wellborn road.
Olsen was opened in 1978.
Softball field back then sat at the NW corner of the Olsen field lot.. It was where the REC center volleyball courts currently are.
Of course there was no rec center then..that area was the intramural softball fields.

Unbelievable how much has changed just in the last 30 -40 years alone.

Deware came down in 1997. Downs Natatorium and Cain Pool went bye-bye around the same time.
Flying Crowbar
AG
This is still one of the best TexAgs threads of all time.
itsyourboypookie
Simply amazing
AEK
AG
Awesome!
valvemonkey91
AG
This and Aggie War Hymn thread are the 2 best threads ever to grace this site. Thank you again for your service, sir.
Aggie87
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Not sure if you are kidding or serious, but the building your see to the right of the horseshoe is not G Rollie, it's the Deware Field House. It was still standing when I enrolled at A&M in 1981 and had been converted into some really crappy racquetball courts. I actually played racquetball there a few times.

I played racquetball in there as well in the 80's. Those were THE worst courts I'd ever seen - there were literally beams sticking through the walls to support the building's ceiling. Inside the courts!

We were always happy to play in the Read Bldg courts that were under the Kyle bleachers near G. Rollie.
aeon-ag
quote:
Uncover is BS - Look at those campaign covers!
I don't know where this "cover" BS came from, these are campaign hats. So much for this new army crap about removing your head gear because of Kyle being a memorial. My dad, class of '39, always did say it was nothing but some happy a$$ sophmore "tradition".
William Larue Weller
AG
This thread is awesome.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.