Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

As per request: Old A&M pictures

368,065 Views | 864 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ABATTBQ87
Aggiesson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
aggie1944, did you know Buryl Baty '46?
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
proc - lots of vets were in the Corps ! Other than those nonregs, dorm 12 was all vet ! Some like me went into the regular Corps - as a soph instead of junior ( that didn't work out too good ). Vets in 12 basically did as they pleased.
hillcountryag86
AG
Mt father is class of '49

BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Hillcountry, great pics. There were 3 classes of 49 - I was 1st class - jan45, 2nd was summer of 45, 3rd was fall of 45. Which was your father?

The drown out pic revived memories of a stupid trick we pulled as frogs - most of what we did was stupid.

Last day of school - only 2 or 3 rooms were occupied - everybody had gone home.

The 4 or 5 left decided we would drown out ( like in the picture ) the KK who was stationed in our dorm to keep out pheads intent on hazing us.

We got a tub of water on the 3rd floor and waited for the KK to walk out the door on the first floor. He did and we unloaded our tub of water on him and ran to the second floor where there was a room occupied.

About two minutes later another KK drenched from head to toe came to our room demanding who had done this dastardly deed. Turns out he walked out about 5 feet behind our target and received the entire tub of
water ! We were so shocked we said nothing - wisely ! So he left.

About 5 minutes later we were in a first floor room with the door opened when the KK stopped again - this time with the Asst. Commandant -Maj. Joe Davis ( later Commandant ). KK said to Maj.Joe " what do you think about these guys who drowned me out ?". We thought our goose was cooked and we would be kicked out of school for the next semester.

Maj. Joe just laughed and said NOTHING ! to our great relief.
Ag in tu land
AG
Bump
wtr1975
AG
TTT
DC81
AG
good bull
Mr. Havok
AG
Good bull indeed. Crazy to see not just how much Kyle Field has progressed but everything.
jess09
Son-n-law's grandfather enrolled at 16. Graduated in 1949. Whoop
DayAg!
S
Couple of things I want to point out here.

1. 44 is real old army and knows how to post stuff on Texags.
2. This thread is probably giving Randolph ulcers and migraines.
3. He followed rule #1.
4. Despite all that, has brought many here an inkling of what we all know to be true about the Greatest Generation.

This is probably the greatest thread I've ever read on Texags.And I've been here a while. How can you not love anyone that did the above. It has also inspired me to try and find out more about my grandfather who was with the Marines in the Pacific Theater, at Guadalcanal. Who has been gone for some time. I do know he received a Purple Heart on the beach when blown out of an artillery shell hole with another artillery round and broke his back and was sent back to California to recover.

What a great bunch of men. And not only them. But those before them and those after them that have been downrange in harms way. We sleep peaceably in our beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf. They will not be forgotten.
att hello
Mojo_rison_04
Wow! Great pics. Amazing to see what campus life was like back then.
SoCalAg97
AG
this is awesome
BombayAg
aggie1944 started at A&M an astounding 76 years ago! Wow.

He must be 90+ right now.

Wish you a long and healthy life, Sir!

Please keep posting.
RAB88
AG

My dad's ('66) uncle J.T. Watson ('27) who died during the spring semester of his sophomore year at A&M,.
aggiejim70
AG
Big Jim.....Bet you could tell some stories about my good friend and a great Texas Aggie, the late J. D. (Shady) Strickel '49.
suburban cowboy
AG
Thank you for your service and for taking the time to post these pictures, sir.

I am class of 2014 and I will never understand what times were like then but these photos brought some life to the images I had in my imagination. Simply amazing. You are a hero.
Token
AG
ttt
mcag83
tosull
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Love these.
What a treasure trove of history.
citizenkane06
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Nowhere near that old but I've got a roll of developed pics from mid 80s when I was at A&M. Decided to go around campus and take pics.

I could scan them if anyone is interested in the high point of Soviet cold war architecture.

Surlylemur
AG
awesome! thanks for the pics
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
quote:
Big Jim.....Bet you could tell some stories about my good friend and a great Texas Aggie, the late J. D. (Shady) Strickel '49.
Lots of good stories . Some not repeatable.

One of his then wife getting into an argument with him at a club - ending when she took a pitcher of beer -

poured it over Shady's head. We laughed , of course .

Spider Monkey
AG
Awesome thread.
Spider Monkey
AG
Has anyone ever printed out a collection of old A&M pics? I just wonder how hard it would be, and if there were any high quality scans available? I have some old photos myself, that I might be willing to share.
45-70Ag
AG
My grandfather '56 has 8mm film of the aggie band at Kyle over several games.

Obviously, no sound but a fascinating view and cool to watch. Also has film from around campus at that time
Spider Monkey
AG
quote:
My grandfather '56 has 8mm film of the aggie band at Kyle over several games.

Obviously, no sound but a fascinating view and cool to watch. Also has film from around campus at that time

I would love to see the film around campus, if you ever decide to upload it.
45-70Ag
AG
It's still on 8mm film and my goal this summer is to take it somewhere where they can put it on dvd.

Spider Monkey
AG
quote:
It's still on 8mm film and my goal this summer is to take it somewhere where they can put it on dvd.

Nice!
Spider Monkey
AG
2/25/1928
Part of the Aggie Band, in front of Kyle Field.

Spider Monkey
AG
Kyle Field
12/11/1927

Spider Monkey
AG
Kyle Field Goal Post
12/11/1927
Spider Monkey
AG
Kyle Field
12/11/1927

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.