Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

As per request: Old A&M pictures

368,042 Views | 864 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ABATTBQ87
rlag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Awesome

Aggie1944 Did you know Walter Lasley?
ABATTBQ87
AG
quote:
It looks like that last bonfire is on Simpson drill field.Is that where early bonfires were held?

Bonfire was on the Main Drill Field until the 1950's when they moved it to the area behind Duncan. I have my dad's 1957 Bonfire photo and it was on the field behind Duncan.

The bonfire moved from the Duncan site in the early 90's to the Polo fields.
tjsmith
People like you are the reason I've always been an Aggie.

Kappa Sigma Fraternity- Est. 1869
CanyonAg77
AG
Great thread, thanks for sharing.

This type of thread is why I've asked Staff to open a traditions/A&M history forum page.
wareagle044
loved the photos. bonfire definitely needs to make a return to campus. those photos bring chills to see it in it's original form. These pictures are the reason A&M stays with me and will continue to do so regardless of the name of the school on my degree. It really makes me want to pursue a Master's there just for the sake of saying I attended.

WAR EAGLE!
GIG 'EM!
GeorgiAg
AG
Thanks again for taking the time post those. Made my day!
MattGigEm
AG
From Life magazine taken in February 1949:

They have literally pages and pages more at:
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=Texas+A%26M+source:life&sa=N&start=0&ndsp=21
nai06
AG
Winter A's and Pots
CanyonAg77
AG
Don't know if you realize, but the skinny little LT in the last few pictures posted by MattGigem is some guy who later starred in a movie about a juvenile delinquent who turned over a new leaf and made a success of his life by joining the Corps at A&M. I suspect the photos are from when the LT was made an honorary Cadet Colonel of the Corps. Too bad you can't see the top left ribbon on his uniform. Looks something like this:

His name was Audie Murphy.
Tough10ies
Amazing stuff. Gig'Em
competitor
My Dad is Class of '47 and I can't wait to show him these photos. He will get a kick out of them for sure.

He has told me many a story of what life was like in Sept. '43 when he arrived in College Station. He rode the train and got off at the old station at west gate. Had never seen the campus before that.

Thanks a bunch Aggie1944. Gull Bull!
Cooper1
aggie1944,
It would be great if you could write captions for these photos and place them in the A&M Archives. If you want to contact the Archivist, drop me a line at cooper1@cullums.org
RoughneckAg97
WBBQ74
AG
My father was '49 and about 6 folks back on the left side row in the photos of the entire Corps in front of Duncan. I can barely recognize him, he was taller than the other guys, 6'3". I remember him keeping the Life magazine with this article. The other photos of the same scene, not published are very cool. He died 13 years ago; wished he was here to tell me about some of those guys in the photos. And other stuff he remembered.

I truly regret now having many photos of me and my buds during my time there, just doing stuff. Lots of 'pictures' in my brain but nothing I could print out.

Note in the first Audie Murphy photo with him standing around Corps Staff guys all the striped on the helmet liners. That was continued into my era - different white belt ranks and organizational positions dictated the stripe pattern on your 'pot'. Haven't cogitated about that recently.

Thanks for the emotional moment here. And thank you, 1944, for your service to our country and the foresight to take a few photos along the way. Priceless treasures.

OasisMan
AG
amazing
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Thanks for the Life pics!
Baron de Bastrop
AG
Thank you for your service and for sharing your photos. This is very special for so many of us.

Love and serve God by loving and serving others.
Fleen
My dad ('68) talked about heading to the train station to help the girls with their luggage so he would know their names when they got to the dance... Also spoke of the Corp uniform making it real easy to hitchike out of San Antonio to get back to school...
FightinTexag
Fightin Texas Aggie 01
BetaAg07
AG
This is AMAZING!!!
BFisch
AG
<goosebumps>. Absolutely incredible. Thanks so much for posting those pictures!
dixichkn
AG
WOW. Just unbelievable stuff. A few thoughts....

1) MY GOD what a life you've lived! I don't think 99% of us can even IMAGINE the type of hell you endured in France and Germany, nor the exhiliration and sense of accomplishment you had to have felt during that parade in Norway.

2) A lot of times during the monotony and rat race of everyday life, you lose sight of how special it is to have attended Texas A&M. These photos are a stirring reminder of what an incredible experience we all have shared.

3) BRING BONFIRE BACK

4) and finally, this......thanks Doc.....
quote:
Also, I am always in awe of the modesty that your generation exhibits. "We just did our job." "Everyone else would have done the same thing." "I'm not a hero, but I served with a bunch of them." Never have I met a veteran of WWII who wanted any of the tremendous amount of credit that they deserved. And that just goes further to cement with me the sentiment that you sir are indeed a member of the greatest generation that our country has ever and likely will ever know. As an active duty officer in the US Army currently, I am proud of our soldiers today. I am proud of the young men and women that I serve with. But I am fully convinced that many of today's soldiers would not be able to stand up to the rigors of the European or Pacific Theatres, myself likely included in that statement. Furthermore, I am fully convinced that America will never again respond to ANYTHING the way She did to the attack at Pearl. I don't mean this to be an indictment of any person on this board, but more so of today's society in general. At least my little piece of the world right now is inhabited with people who don't have enough respect for their fellow man to stop texting while driving 80mph on the highway, to hold open a door for someone behind them, or to even acknowledge that another human being other than themselves has a need in this world, much less to go to war for their country. The sense of self entitlement and of being "owed" something simply because you are alive in America sickens me.

Thankfully, you kids in 1941 were raised differently and thought differently. You went half a world away from your friends and family, many of you before you were legally able to vote or buy a beer. You lived through a hell that no one else will ever know or could ever imagine. You fought. You fought for your country. You fought for people all across your country. People you did not and would not ever know. You kids over there doing your job did something that will likely never be done again, not because of lack of conflict, but because of lack of people who care enough to do what you did. You fought. You won. You did nothing less than save the world. And for that, I will eternally be grateful to you and your fellow WWII veterans.

OldArmy71
AG
Amazing, amazing photos.
heisatouchdown
AG
Thank you very much for posting these photos!

They gave me the chills and make me proud that I am an Aggie.
Face
AG
I recently found this ticket stub from 1948 while cleaning out my grandparents' place. I know that a few games between us and Tech were played at Alamo Stadium in the late '40s, but does anyone know why?

Old_Ag_91
AG
Aggie1944, thank you so much! Those were amazing. So proud to call myself an Aggie and an American because of people like you.
WBBQ74
AG
My father '49 told me about coming to SA to play Tech a couple of times and that he sold programs at the game to make some spending money. Also said he had to stand on his stack of programs to keep the locals - he used a non PC term for 'them' when I was a young kid - from stealing them. Another memory lane deal with this thread for me. A&M played several games in Alamo Stadium over time. Those games against Tech in the 40's and twice against Trinity in '60 and '61. The '60 game was a 14-0 win for the good guys, only game they won that year and my first game to watch. I was 8, it was a night game, and I couldn't figure out who the good guys were, both teams were maroon and white but the Ags were in their all white get up. About all I remember but I was there. A friend of mine from the SA A&M Club was a starting OL/DL on those teams and spoke to me once on them. He said they didn't take Trinity seriously in '60 and barely won. The next year they took the game very seriously and came down and put a 55-0 beatdown on them. 55 points in the era of single platoon football was a monstrous point spread, kinda like us scoring 100 today on somebody. Trinity University had some good football players in the '60's, several who played in the NFL. Another era, though.

[This message has been edited by WBBQ74 (edited 2/5/2010 8:23a).]
AgeofEase08
AG
Those pics are incredible. Too cool. Thank you so much for posting these and your service!

This is the only thread that has not only brought chills up and down my spine, but has also made my jaw drop. It is pictures/stories like these that make me so damn proud to be a Fightin Texas Aggie.

quote:
Your generation is our countries greatest

Agreed

quote:
i am 27 in support of this message

THE CENTURY TREE was TINY!

[This message has been edited by AgeofEase08 (edited 2/5/2010 2:05a).]
ABATTBQ87
AG
quote:
THE CENTURY TREE was TINY!

That wasn't the Century tree
Elephant Ghost
These pics are timeless. Love'em. Nothing about any other school for me will ever top this. Ever.
chunk78
Awesome. thanks for sharing the photos
aggie_2010
12th Man
AG
Anybody notice there weren't any chubby CT's back then ;-)?
nai06
AG
check out the old longhorns.

They would take pictures of the tallest, shortest, and fattest cadet and call them the extremes of each class

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.