Anime Thread it's time to confess...

80,236 Views | 592 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Ghost of Bisbee
hunter2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fenrir said:

YouBet said:

96AgGrad said:

YouBet said:

96AgGrad said:

Maybe everyone else already knew, but the new season of Attack On Titan has begun. There's three or four Japanese episodes with subtitles on Funimation.

I watched about half the first season of this. BSC show. I may go back to it because I am curious WTH was going on.
It's worth it to keep watching. As the seasons progress, you come to understand that everything you thought you knew is just a smaller part of a bigger picture.

I started to get that however far I got. Got a shama lama ding dong The Village feel before I got distracted and stopped watching.
It's funny if you go back and look through this thread, most people thought it was pretty "ok", nothing special. I think the consensus now in most circles is that it's the closest thing we have to a modern day classic. Curious if the new studio holds up for the final season.
Agreed, this season could put it on the classic shelf of anime. Regardless, it's been impressive how they've been able to balance the action with the intrigue. I will say the first and most recent season has been the best.
YouBet
AG
So, I started watching Attack of the Titans again. Netflix has Season 1 which is showing 25 episodes. Is that actually just season 1?

Of note, they are pulling it from Netflix on Feb. 1.
hunter2012
AG
Got some bad news, Kentaro Miura the author of the Berserk manga passed away at 54. He was quoted that he had about 30 more years worth of ideas for the story that he would've like to explore. The manga itself was probably 60-80% done from the feel of the story. I would have loved to see Gut's ultimate revenge, it would have been Monte Cristo on the epic revenge scale. The manga has been going for my entire life though I didn't discover it until about a decade ago.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/kentaro-miura-the-creator-of-berserk-has-died-aged-54/ar-AAKbk7g
Red Five
AG
hunter2012 said:

Got some bad news, Kentaro Miura the author of the Berserk manga passed away at 54. He was quoted that he had about 30 more years worth of ideas for the story that he would've like to explore. The manga itself was probably 60-80% done from the feel of the story. I would have loved to see Gut's ultimate revenge, it would have been Monte Cristo on the epic revenge scale. The manga has been going for my entire life though I didn't discover it until about a decade ago.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/kentaro-miura-the-creator-of-berserk-has-died-aged-54/ar-AAKbk7g
Just came here to find this thread and post this. Really sad news. Berserk is my favorite manga/comic of all time. I always kind of assumed it would never finish because of how irregular his publishing became, but still a gut punch to have it end this way.

RIP to one of the greatest mangaka of all time.
hunter2012
AG
What's amazing is how much fiction Berserk has inspired. It could be credited for repopularizing dark fantasy in general. Just from what I've read today, final fantasy VII, Devil may cry, dark souls, and bloodborne all have direct influences from Berserk. I do wonder if some like GRRM's work if not directly at least indirectly influenced since they both got popular in the 90s.

here's a twitter with some of his best artwork, he did it all black & white and relied entirely on shading to show beautiful and sometimes massive scenes.

hunter2012
AG
I'd also like to point out that the Castlevania anime had a scene where a vampire in full armor did the full Guts pose when they squatted with the oversized blade on their shoulder. They said in a previous interview that they want to adapt Berserk at this point and I saw that scene as a full tribute to Berserk.

Supposedly he had students that contributed to some of the manga that know the story so hopefully it will finish someday.
amercer
AG
On a different topic, I enjoyed Yasuke. Short but good. Not really sure where they would go with season 2. They one of wrapped up everything, although the world is pretty cool.
96AgGrad
AG
Decent anime I've seen lately:

BOFURI: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense - Light yet interesting play on MMORPG culture and norms. Basically an easy-going newb makes unorthodox decisions which end up paying off when she stumbles into great skills and loot, which she and her friends then put to maximum use fighting both with and against the serious meta players. Funny, over the top situational humor.

High School DxD - Mostly fan service with lots of light nudity, but the characters are interesting enough to keep watching. A perverted high school boy becomes a devil when he is reincarnated by a hot female devil, and joins her family in fighting other devils and fallen angels.
Fenrir
Honestly never thought that the story to get finished just never expected it would be because he pulled a GRRM before Martin could.

Hopefully we hear something before too long on whether they intend to try to finish the story.
hunter2012
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

Quote:

Quote:

My little brother introduced me to Cowboy Bebop 6 years ago and I loved it. I tried to watch another series and I just couldn't get into it.

There's several great series on Netflix if you ever wanted to try to pick it up again. I would suggest Death Note, its a good starter show, or did you like the scifi specifically?
On that note, if you also liked the Space Western feel of the series there is Trigun (on Hulu) and Outlaw Star (don't know of anyone streaming this) as well.
Finally took this advice and watched Trigun, danged good one. 90s had some really good anime. I'm thinking I'll rewatch Outlaw Star just to stay on the 90s Space Western/toonami kick.

As for new show updates:

For those that like the long running shounen like Naruto/Bleach/Fairy Tail, I would highly recommend Black Clover as it's about to reach a long hiatus due to catching up with the manga. The MC can be a little annoying at first but the characters are all well written, and for a shounen the female lead(or top supporting character), Noelle, isn't completely worthless like Sakura/Lucy, in fact she might be one of the more badass characters especially later in the series.

For Isekai, the second season of Re;Zero finished and it continues well where the first one left off, the story gets super deep this season and really adds a ton to the lore and background for much of the characters, especially the mansion denizens and Amelia.
If you want more of a fun one, So I'm a Spider So What, has been a lot of fun though it has a Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde split between the 2 main plot lines. The Spider's story is both hilarious and awesome, while the hero's is extremely meh. It's like the hero is meant to be generic to keep the spider's story compelling and do the mundane side of world-building. I believe the dub will finish this week so it's a great chance to catch up.

For the Netflix crowd, I was surprised by Dota: Dragon's Blood and really enjoyed it's story. I especially loved the season ending"Do..you..love me?"-Cut to black, I think I've rewatched it twice now. If anyone is looking for a good fantasy series, Is it wrong to try to pick up Girls in a Dungeon probably has the most misleading title for an actual story. The series is basically high fantasy and besides a crush on a fellow adventurer the series is just pure adventure and a decent story at that. Seriously, it's a completely misleading title, but it's on netflix.

Also the Demon Slayer movie was good, especially in theaters, I only wish it had more Nezuko but oh well. I think its on Funimation's stream. Also the final Fate Stay; Heaven's Feel movie is out on streaming. I've seen the first two and still need to check this one out.

PSA: catch up on Attach on Titan if you haven't done so, it really is a classic in the making.

Any new ones that ya'll have come across that are worth checking out?
96AgGrad
AG
I can't recall if I mentioned it earlier, but Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans is a good mecha/space politics series with solid characters. Netflix released the second and I assume final season of it.

Worth the watch if you like things like Code Geass or Aldnoah.Zero.
hunter2012
AG
IBO is a good series, though I was not a big fan of the ending. they spend they whole series fighting a corrupt and evil Gallererhorn military only for the 2 MCs die violently and for Gallerhorn to say "we're sorry, we'll reform". There was no consequences for the Gallerhorn leadership, and the only justice the Orphans get from the traitors is the kill squad at the end, YEARS after the fact. All around an unsettling ending, but I think that was the point.
96AgGrad
AG
hunter2012 said:

IBO is a good series, though I was not a big fan of the ending. they spend they whole series fighting a corrupt and evil Gallererhorn military only for the 2 MCs die violently and for Gallerhorn to say "we're sorry, we'll reform". There was no consequences for the Gallerhorn leadership, and the only justice the Orphans get from the traitors is the kill squad at the end, YEARS after the fact. All around an unsettling ending, but I think that was the point.
Yeah, some of the series was a bit too contrived:

The orphans were able to deftly navigate the politics, through skill or luck, until the very end, at which time they were completely blindsided.

Someone like McGillis, who was previously two steps ahead of the everyone else, was suddenly inept, and actually believed the families would fall in line just because he got the founder's mech to turn on.

The introduction of Rustal Elion as a mastermind later in the series, when he seemed to have zero influence on the first parts.

Still, I thought it was a good watch.
La Bamba
AG
Ok, so it only took me, what, 20 years to finally start watching the Naruto series. And I loved it. Watched all of Naruto (minus most of the filler arcs except the last one) and most of Shippudden (took a few months, even on Netflix + Crunchyroll). Shippudden has pretty awesome music (as does the original).
hunter2012
AG
La Bamba said:

Ok, so it only took me, what, 20 years to finally start watching the Naruto series. And I loved it. Watched all of Naruto (minus most of the filler arcs except the last one) and most of Shippudden (took a few months, even on Netflix + Crunchyroll). Shippudden has pretty awesome music (as does the original).
Pretty solid fillers in Shippuden too, anything about Kakashi, Pain, or Itachi was worth watching even if the filler arcs took entire seasons from time to time. Honestly I think that's what makes Tobi/Madara/Obito so awesome, he's my favorite antagonist across all media and I think it's because of all the development he got. Be sure to checkout the movies, the Last is a great epilogue movie(though if I remember correctly your supposed to watch it before 500).
La Bamba
AG
So Last happens after the 4th Shinobi war but before N+H correct? Cause there's seems to be a time lapse in the show in that point.

Edit: I must have listened to about every single version and cover of Silhoutte on YouTube about now.
Red Five
AG
Can't be bothered to go through all the pages of the thread to see if this has been mentioned before, I'm sure it has. Earlier this summer I finished Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, which has been one of my favorite series. Netflix has parts 1-4 and part 5 is on Crunchyroll. With part 6 coming this year exclusively to Netflix I wonder if they will get part 5 as well.

Although I love JJBA, it can be hard to recommend. Part 1 kind of drags, and Part 2 is good but so different from what it becomes later in the series. Then Part 3 is just so long. Parts 4 and 5 are amazing, but its a lot of work to get there. I feel like you either dive in head first and are all about it, or you probably wont enjoy it. I'm not sure how much middle ground there is with Jojo.
hunter2012
AG
Yep, the Last connects the dots between the two. Frankly, Naruto is dense enough an idiot it would take a movie for him to both figure out and reciprocate feelings back at Hinata. She clearly confessed her feelings in the Pain arc and he was still oblivious. Hinata is the best love interest since she defended him against Pain while Sakura just cried. Sakura also manipulated his feelings towards her to try to convince him to support the hit on Sasuke. So, I think the final movie was mainly meant to give Hinata a good ending and not necessarily Naruto.
hunter2012
AG
PSA: The Evangelion movies are all on Amazon, including dubs. They're a retelling of the original with an interesting twist.
hunter2012
AG
Red Five
AG
Excited to see what Trigger does. Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill are in my top 5 for anime all time.
hunter2012
AG
Watched the Evangelion movies, it looks like they took the concept of the 2 endings from the original series and blended them a bit. You see what Shinji is going through but the weirdness for the angels and the apocalypse makes for a very trippy finale. All in all I liked it and the animation was absolutely amazing, on par with Unlimited Blade Works. honestly though if someone stopped and actually briefed Shinji what was going on, the near-3rd-impact and the 4th impacts could have been completely avoided. Instead they just put an explosion collar on him and tell him not to do anything just after they were forcing him to do everything. Also I have no idea what happened to his father, in the trip sequence he was was "left behind" at the train station". Anyway, it was a good story and while nostaligics will gripe I though it was a fun way to spend the weekend.
AliasMan02
AG
Not EXACTLY anime, but

3, 2, 1, let's jam...

Pics out there today.
Rocagnante
AG
Nov 19th. Until then

See you space cowboy
hunter2012
AG
Dang, I'll give this a shot. I wonder if they can pull of Ed...

96AgGrad
AG
I'll be impressed if that cast can pull off any of the characters. It might work for people who have never seen the anime.
amercer
AG
Finishing another rewatch right now. Absolutely incredible how awesome Bebop is. And that's without even considering the constraints of being a late 90s, 22 minute, show that had to be clean enough to show to kids.

I'm sure the live action will be a disappointment by comparison, but I'm still excited.
amercer
AG
hunter2012 said:

Also, this looks incredible.
AliasMan02
AG
I haven't seen any sign that Ed is in it. That would be simultaneously smart and a little cowardly.
Furlock Bones
AG
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.phoneswiki.com/bleach-season-17-release/

Haven't thought about Anime in awhile. Then saw this thread. Decided to look up Bleach again. Low and behold. A new season.
hunter2012
AG
Ed is part of what makes the series great, and her unique personality and adventures with Ein added comic relief to an otherwise pretty dark sci-fi noir. They need Ed and the Jazz background music for this show to have a shot. Their anime adaptations have fallen flat so far so hopefully they'll learn their lesson. The casting of Vicious is probably important too if they want to follow the original story. They also don't need to woke cast her, redheads have been written out of enough in modern media.
AliasMan02
AG
I'd guess we get Ed in season 2. Her making friends with a lonely defense satellite would be a great intro and play into a running season 2 storyline.
hunter2012
AG
That's a good point they won't remake the whole series with one season.
Rocagnante
AG
I hope Judy makes an appearance.

Fenrir
Can't say I expect much from any Netflix live action remake.

Only one worth a damn is the 4th Kenshin movie but I think Netflix had nothing to do with it's production. Even if they did, they had the formula figures out with the first 3 movies already anyway.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.