Anime Thread it's time to confess...

78,862 Views | 592 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Ghost of Bisbee
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fogburn95 said:

I hope Judy makes an appearance.

They should get her some real A listers to play the Big Shot hosts.
Sex Panther
AG
I don't expect much from Netflix these days, and I doubt their vision of Cowboy Bebop will be anything other than mediocre, but I'll try and be optimistic. Not a huge anime fan, but recently watched the entire series and it's awesome.

I really like John Cho but I think he's too old for Spike. I think Steven Yeun would've been amazing. And he's a legit great actor.

AliasMan02
AG
To be fair it feels like they started filming this like 10 years ago.
fig96
AG
Just started a thread for the live action series now that we have our first look.
Rocagnante
AG
Watching Psycho-Pass right now. It was rated as one of the top sci-fi anime so giving it a shot. Pretty good so far.

It's set in year 2112 for you fellow Rush nerds.
Fenrir
Just finished the 5 rurouni Kenshin live actions movies. 3 on Funimation and 2 on Netflix. These are probably the best live adaptations I have seen. Also if you haven't seen the Kenshin OVAs, those are absolutely worth your time. Much different tone than the show but some of my favorite animation regardless.
hunter2012
AG
Fenrir said:

Just finished the 5 rurouni Kenshin live actions movies. 3 on Funimation and 2 on Netflix. These are probably the best live adaptations I have seen. Also if you haven't seen the Kenshin OVAs, those are absolutely worth your time. Much different tone than the show but some of my favorite animation regardless.
Interesting, I've scrolled over over the series before but I haven't watched it yet. I'll have to give this one a shot.

Also I'm hearing really good things about "Star Wars Visions", it's an anthology from several different anime studios so the animation style varies from episode to episode but I intend to watch these at some point.
La Bamba
AG
Just started Season 3 of AoT and man, this show hits different. I love the pace of the show, it has a get "down to business" vibe, no fillers, no bs, no fooling around, just focuses on the main story with its fair share of twists and reveals along the way. Obviously darker than a DBZ or Naruto, but there's less of the 5 episodes for one fight type of thing and I like that.

Also, is there an anime out there with a better soundtrack than AoT? Holy carp, the musical quality along the OST is just bonkers. Counter attack Mankind is my favorite right now but there aren't any weak spots at all. I could listen to it all day on repeat, while running, whatever. Also, Mikasa is such a bad b*tch, current anime crush. Comparing her to Sakura would be an insult.

I grew up watching mainly DBZ with Rurouni Kenshin and Yu Yu Hakusho sprinkled in. Wasn't until a year ago where I got a sub to Crunchyroll and started watching other stuff. Naruto, Shippudden, Death Note (honestly couldn't finish it, got bored of it, is that bad?) and now AoT. Big fan of AoT if I'm being honest.
Red Five
AG
La Bamba said:

Also, is there an anime out there with a better soundtrack than AoT? Holy carp, the musical quality along the OST is just bonkers. Counter attack Mankind is my favorite right now but there aren't any weak spots at all. I could listen to it all day on repeat, while running, whatever.
There are several anime with soundtracks equal to or better than AoT, they just all happen to also be composed by Hiroyuki Sawano.

The man is a legend.
hunter2012
AG
If you want another Shounen, checkout Jujutsu Kaisen and Black Clover, I believe both are on crunchyroll.

Kaisen is interesting because the premise and even some of the episodes can be dark or gritty but it's a surprisingly funny show because of the characters who are great by themselves. You'll see influences of team 7 that the show loves to make fun of. The goofy idiot, the overly serious protege, the physically strong chick that keeps the other teammates in line, and lastly the lazy instructor that is overpowered if he bothers to try. All are great characters even if they are meant to be a bit of parody.

Black Clover is just a good shounen, apparently the creator grew up on Dragon Ball and hated the fillers so even the seemingly filler episodes have a purpose and the fights rarely drag out more than an episode unless if it's highly relevant to the larger story arc. The MC starts as a bit of an annoying loudmouth but he pretty quickly tones it down so don't let that be a reason to drop the show.

I suggest both of these specifically because both of the female support characters are great in their own right and are miles better than Sakura. Especially Noelle(Black Clover), she appears to be one of the most powerful characters in the show and not for just plot convenience or parody. Kugisaki(Jujutsu Kaisen) is also a great foil for the 2 male leads and is not a token love arrangement for either the MC or the "rival".
La Bamba
AG
Alright my people, not sure about y'all, but I am pretty hyped about S4 Part II of AoT. Looks like we will get the finale of an absolute classic. Alot in the trailer but anytime we get another good old fashioned Armoured v Attack Titan showdown we are in for epicness. Looks like the fight has been brought to Paradis this time and I am for one am looking forward to seeing how it turns out. I'm wondering who that creepy little blonde child is when Eren says "Were you the one who led me here?" Is it Zeke, is it Historia? It's going to be great. Excited for it.

americathegreat1492
Currently watching dub of Girlfriend, girlfriend. The premise is pretty standard "harem" stuff but the execution is completely different. It's hilarious and ridiculous, the characters are totally insane and the voice acting is shockingly good in the dub. Needs to be released faster than 1 a week.
hunter2012
AG
Just a note that one of the longest running animes, Bleach, returns today after a 10 year hiatus. I've been watching the series but still have almost 200 more episodes until I'm caught up. Also Overlord season 4 was awesome(finished 2 weeks ago), if you haven't watched it yet, you're missing out! Any updates on what ya'll are watching?
96AgGrad
AG
My Hero Academia Season 6 started at the beginning of this month, though I have not watched either of the released episodes yet.

I bought the WitchBlade series on a whim since it was on sale on VUDU. It was OK, but nothing incredible.
aezmvp
The fact that none of you weebs has gushed about Spy X Family yet astounds me. Its simply one of the best shows out there. My entire family of normies is hooked.
hunter2012
AG
aezmvp said:

The fact that none of you weebs has gushed about Spy X Family yet astounds me. Its simply one of the best shows out there. My entire family of normies is hooked.
I forgot to mention it, but yes this one is exellent and an awesome family friendly anime.
Anya is the MVP of the show:

Eliminatus
AG
Alright. Feeling another itch coming along. What's the newest and hottest?

To be clear, I am an extreme casual enjoyer that will indulge about once a year for a couple weeks or so. Above absolute noob but below normie casual level. my teeth on DBZ and several of the old mech ones. Macross was my intro into this world and I am a huge sucker for mech fighting stuff. Gundam iterations are probably my favorite overall to date.

My last foray had me binge Attack on Titan. Still need to crunch through the last season but once I am done with that, what should be next on my radar.

Further background. I'm a dude. I like dude things. Fighting, war, adventure, etc. also big into growth scenarios. Stuff like school settings and learning and growing etc. Witty stuff is also a plus. I guess mainly open to anything but the cutesy waifu romance stuff.

Recs?

Thanks and gigs all around.
Red Five
AG
If you like mecha and haven't watched Gurren Lagan that should be number 1 on your list.

If you like AoT try 86 -Eighty-Six-. Similar feels with a youth military isolated from the truth of the outside world, etc.

If you like humor try Konosuba. It's a "guy gets transported to a fantasy world" trope show, but the joke is that all the characters are selfish and/or incompetent.

If you like Skinemax and boobies, try High School of the Dead or High School DxD.

If you like comedy and irresponsible guys learning to be fathers, try Buddy Daddies.

Edit: Also, it's never a bad time to start Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.
Eliminatus
AG
Red Five said:

If you like mecha and haven't watched Gurren Lagan that should be number 1 on your list.

If you like AoT try 86 -Eighty-Six-. Similar feels with a youth military isolated from the truth of the outside world, etc.

If you like humor try Konosuba. It's a "guy gets transported to a fantasy world" trope show, but the joke is that all the characters are selfish and/or incompetent.

If you like Skinemax and boobies, try High School of the Dead or High School DxD.

If you like comedy and irresponsible guys learning to be fathers, try Buddy Daddies.

Edit: Also, it's never a bad time to start Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.
Thanks!
Fenrir
Code Geass is a necessity for mecha fans.

Also the evangelion movies are pretty damn solid and all are available on prime. I would advise you as a casual viewer to stay away from the series though.
hunter2012
AG
Along with what some of the others are saying, Code Geass and Gurren Laggen is must see for mech anime.

If you want a new character growth type anime, I would recommend jujutsu kaisen and chainsaw man. Some wild action in both of those. I particularly like the MC in chainsaw man. His lot in life is so crappy that warm meals and a cheap apartment is a massive improvement so his motivations are simple. The supporting characters are also great.

I would also recommend jobless reincarnation, has a crazy good story so far and the MC starts out as a loser and overall slimy, but he makes the most of his second chance and I feel like he becomes more and more sympathetic as the show progresses. The show covers some very adult themes, depression, hopelessness, a mature look at romance, friendships, fate, there's even a semi-serious subplot regarding ED and impotence.

Lastly if you want one that's a little weird but one that I've enjoyed is reincarnated as a spider. Basically what it sounds like, but there's an interesting fantasy element that allows the character to gain power as the story progresses.
AggieMPH2005
I have been enjoying zom100 bucket list of the dead on Netflix.

They're aren't many episodes but it's been quality so far.

Red Five
AG
AggieMPH2005 said:

I have been enjoying zom100 bucket list of the dead on Netflix.

They're aren't many episodes but it's been quality so far.

same here. Really fun show so far.
Fenrir
Just read somewhere that the rest of the first season is on an indefinite hiatus.
Red Five
AG
Oof. They've apparently had a lot of delays and so now they've lost their time slot on Japanese TV and have nowhere to air the last 3 episodes. Don't know if they would be able to just go streaming only or not. It's their first anime, so not an auspicious start.
AggieMPH2005
Well crap
hunter2012
AG
Good news on this front: Zom100 returns in December:

I watched this after reading here about everyone else's enjoyment.

Also the Final Attack on Titan episode launched over the weekend and I'm glad to see that it was able to finish, I put my thoughts in the show thread.
Red Five
AG
It's a Festivus miracle!
amercer
AG
So, um, live action One Piece was pretty badass. They just need to make 20 more seasons before the actors age…
AggieMPH2005
That's good news on Zom 100. I started on Blue Eyed Samurai to tide me over. So far it's good, I'm three episodes in.
hunter2012
AG
New trailer for the Zom 100 finale

Fenrir
Just finished Pluto on Netflix. Well worth a watch. Never was a fan of the original Astro Boy manga/animes. For them to get so much emotional depth out of a story that originated from a campy as **** Astroy Boy storyline 60 years ago is amazing.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Was playing a trivia game this week and one of the questions was a multiple choice, asking how many times Goku has died in the Dragonball universe.

Can someone explain to me how the hell the answer is 5???

I thought it was twice. Once against Raditz and once during the Cell Games. When did he die 3 other times

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.