Anime Thread it's time to confess...

80,217 Views | 592 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Ghost of Bisbee
jabberwalkie09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah, I liked it. Kind of predictable, but still good.
jabberwalkie09
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Pulled out the Witch Hunter Robin DVDs yesterday for another runthtough. The wife never finished it so we're binging the whole thing.

It's been a very, very long time since I have seen that.
hunter2012
AG
Vote for best man in anime...

https://animebracket.com/results/best-guy-3-saltgatari/?group=full
jabberwalkie09
AG
hunter2012 said:

Vote for best man in anime...

https://animebracket.com/results/best-guy-3-saltgatari/?group=full
I'm surprised that Shougo Makishima got beat, and that Suzaku from Lelouch beat Rock from Black Lagoon. Surprised that Ling Yao has made it as far as he has, but he was definitely a highlight of Black Lagoon. Spike making it as far as he has isn't surprising.

Anyways, I've started watching "Durarara!!" and am now four episodes in and I was considering dropping it until I finished the fourth episode.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Not sure if people missed this, but The Seven Deadly Sins is coming back in February with four new episodes.

The Seven Deadly Sins: Signs of the Holy War will be on Netflix February 17th.
hunter2012
AG
I still need to see this, if yall want to binge watch a quick scifi. Dimension W is on adultswim, it was meh...
amercer
AG
So is that like a 2nd season, or an ova, or what?

I enjoyed the 1st season.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Eh, Netflix is calling it a second season. If the new episodes advance the overall plot, I think that's fair since OVA's usually have nothing to do with the overall story and are more stand alone.

After doing some reading, there's some new stuff in the manga going on after what was the first season. Plus, they kind of opened the door for some stuff with Meliodas at the end of the first season IIRC. Either way, I'm not going to complain.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Sword Art Online movie trailer, not sure how I missed the trailer for this. I'm not overly familiar with the visual novels series (or whatever the equivalent is) but this actually looks decent.

jabberwalkie09
AG
amercer said:

So is that like a 2nd season, or an ova, or what?

I enjoyed the 1st season.
So, looping back to this. The four episodes are more or less filling in the gap after they liberated the kingdom from the Holy Knights after the first season. To give a non-spoiler explanation, it fills in a bit of time of events before they leave at the end of the first season to find one of the other members of the Seven Deadly Sins. Most of it is character building, but there are some events that occur in these four episodes that further the overall plot of the series. For instance, Dreyfus and Henrickson are still alive, having survived the events of the first season, and Meliodas destroys the horn we see Ban talking to when he is making to bring back Elaine.

I haven't watched all the episodes yet, but I wouldn't necessarily say the episodes really push the plot like another season would. Just be aware that there are post credit scenes for every episode apparently.
YouBet
AG
Did anyone ever see the Star Blazers / Yamato remake Space Battleship Yamato 2199?

I tried watching Star Blazers again a few years ago and it did not hold up well to me for some reason. Just wonder if it's better to just watch this remake since it was done in 2014.
amercer
AG
Watched Magi: Kingdom of Magic.

In the "I need to pay more attention" column, I didn't know it was season two....

In any case I liked it. The world building has potential to be great, but the plot only rates as good. Maybe my opinion will change after I go back and watch season one (and the adventures of Sinbad which seems to be a spinoff of some sort)
hunter2012
AG
I still need to see this, all of my friends that have seen it have said its good. Although now wouldn't be a good time for me since I'm right in the middle of a Death Note rewatch, that's not a series that can just be dropped or picked back up whenever...
jabberwalkie09
AG
Magi the Labrynth (that's the title of the first season right?) is good. It's a fun series. I think I watched some of it subbed, but the dub is pretty good. I plan to watch the second season eventually.

Anyways, I guess I'll toss out some updates on stuff I've watched lately. The four seasons of Seven Deadly Sins was fun, but like I said in my other post, didn't really advance the plot that much but the post credit scenes did kind of setup another season in that regard IMO.

Back in January, I finished watching Macross Delta (was way, way late to watching it). You're not going to find the series on any legitimate sites, but if you find it out there it's a decent enough series. In some respects I thought it was a slight cut above Macross Frontier, but in some ways it was kind of meh. The music, as in pretty much every Macross series, is top notch.

I've also caught up on Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans finally. The first season is 25 episodes, and they're pretty fantastic. I felt that the characters were all pretty decent and developed in the first season, and the pacing was pretty good. The first season thrives on pretty much non stop action, and even though the Gundam franchise has never really shied away from killing off characters, I have a tough time remembering a series in the franchise that is filled with so much death. The second season is 20 episodes in and I don't know how many more are left. Sure in Iron Blooded Orphas there's some characters that have some plot armor, but there's nothing nearly as ridiculous as Kira Yamato imo.
jabberwalkie09
AG

SwigAg11
jabberwalkie09
AG
A bit of a change from my normal watching of series, I was trolling YouTube looking at trailers of some upcoming animes and saw a trailer for a film that came out in 2007 but has been re-released by Funimation here in the states named Sword of the Stranger. The story centers around a ronin named No Name (literally, the guy's name is Nanashi and that is the translation but this is explained in the movie), Kotaru, and Kotaru's pet dog Tobimaru. Simple description if you don't want to watch the trailer, Nanashi runs across Kotaru and soon becomes embroiled in his problems, through which Nanashi changes.

This feels like a great Man with No Name movie. This film's animation is simply spectacular and the story is also great as well. Seeing as how this is from the same studio that did Fullmetal Alchemist, No Name's facial structure really reminded me of Edward Elric. I personally watched it dubbed, and had no issue with it being dubbed as the voice acting is one of those times where it's actually pretty good IMO. The plot while admittedly not overly complex, is good and passable but really its the relationship between Nanashi and Kotaru that I think won me over.

The journey through the film is really great, and if you're a fan of samurai type anime I'd say this is a must watch. Even if you're not, I still highly recommend this film. I feel like it's one of the better anime films to come out in some time.

If you're looking for something to watch that I'd recommend that is kind of in a similar vein other than Samurai Champloo, and I'll link trailers for them, there's Samurai 7 that has a steampunk/mecha flair, and Moribito Guardian of the Spirit.
hunter2012
AG
Sword of the Stranger and Iron blooded orphans are on the list, probably in that order.

While blurays are neat and Gundam Wing was my original anime, I'm not sure how well a 90's shows translates to the HD quality of blu-Ray. Although if they remastered it then shut up and take my money!
Fenrir
hunter2012 said:

Sword of the Stranger and Iron blooded orphans are on the list, probably in that order.

While blurays are neat and Gundam Wing was my original anime, I'm not sure how well a 90's shows translates to the HD quality of blu-Ray. Although if they remastered it then shut up and take my money!

Yu yu hakusho looks great in blurry format. Believe they did remaster it.
jabberwalkie09
AG
hunter2012 said:

Sword of the Stranger is an instant classic to me, but unfortunately due to how trendy anime stuff can be, I find that it's usually forgotten by people. Which is kind of sad because it's pretty damn good.

Iron Blooded Orphans is simply one of the better Gundam series to come along in some time for a variety of reasons. I think it's better than Gundam 00, and definitely better than Gundam Seed and Gundam Seed Destiny. Iron Blooded Orphans continually reminds you that everything has a cost, sometimes a heavy one.
hunter2012
AG
Gundam-wise I've only ever seen Wing. Do you happen to have a ranking of what I should see.
HeadGames
AG
My gf and I did the same thing.
jabberwalkie09
AG
hunter2012 said:

Gundam-wise I've only ever seen Wing. Do you happen to have a ranking of what I should see.

I haven't seen all of the series because there's a metric **** ton of Gundam series out there. Generally the Universal Century stuff is regarded as some of the better. I mean you have the Bright Slap and Get in the ****ing Gundam Amuro memes that came from there so if you want to understand the jokes from there. So I don't know if I can really rank them, since I haven't seen the entire franchise and I personally just describe what I like and what I don't.

Though personally I find that Wing was one of the few Gundam series that got better as it went on, barring the usual because plot reasons that every series has.

Some of the highlights from the franchise I would say are Gundam Unicorn (I recommend the OVA's as the series was basically the OVA's recut for TV) and Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS team (13 episodes that's an OVA series) taking place during the first Zeon War (the One Year War).

I don't know if I'd recommend Gundam Seed and It's sequel, especially the dub because it's quite bad at times, but it's enjoyable enough if you want to just turn off your brain and watch the series. My main gripe of the series is that there's a point where the plot armor negates anything the risk and apparent sacrifice that the characters make and that hurts the emotional tone of the series imo.

Gundam 00 is interesting. I find the first season's efforts interesting in that the cause is noble enough for the end is inevitable for the first season. I found that the second season lost it's way a bit, meandering for a bit in the middle, but ending is a relatively good place. I found the movie for the series to be a bit of a mess and kind of left me sitting there scratching my head going wtf just happened? In a lot of ways, Gundam 00 reminds me of Gundam Wing which is probably why the second season kind of loses its way for a time and why the movie left me scratching my head.

Like Wing, Gundam 00 and Gundam Seed occur in their own continuity so you don't have to really have any previous knowledge of the other series. The 8th MS team and Unicorn can stand on their own as well, but they do fill out the Universal Century timeline.

I'm not sure any of that really makes sense, so if you have any questions let me know.
jabberwalkie09
AG
So remembering my Gundam post from yesterday, today I saw that Crunchyroll has Gundam 00 subbed returning to their streaming service. Both seasons will be available beginning 6 PM Pacific.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/mobile-suit-gundam-00
jabberwalkie09
AG
Devilman Crybaby, arriving Spring 2018 on Netflix.

Olsen
AG
Death Note trailer!

hunter2012
AG
I didn't know Netflix owned it, this could have some potential...

Ryuk is going to have some presence it seems...
jabberwalkie09
AG
I lost all motivation to push through on Death Not after L's death. Series kind of lost it's shine to me after that...

Anyways, I've been pushing through on Fairy Tail since I read that the manga is likely to be ending after the current arc, the Alvarez Empire Arc. I have to say that skipping the filler arcs helped a bit, and I didn't realize that I had watch originally up to the Tenrou arc which made catching up significantly easier. I'm looking forward to seeing how the anime ends up and then finishing up the manga after.
hunter2012
AG
Hopefully they'll continue the anime, I was unsatisfied where they ended it.
jabberwalkie09
AG
hunter2012 said:

Hopefully they'll continue the anime, I was unsatisfied where they ended it.
I'll admit that when I watched Fairy Tail subbed I got tired the first time around reading and not enjoying the visuals as much, so I've been watching it dubbed this go around. Thank you Funimation, the dub is pretty good. Between Bleach, Naruto, and Fairy Tail I think Fairy Tail pretty much nailed the pacing. The fights are entertaining, they aren't too drawn out (glares at Bleach) and most of the story arcs aren't obscenely long (looks at Bleach and Naruto).

I've enjoyed this go around a lot actually.
hunter2012
AG
Yep it's an extremely well paced show especially since it's one of the super long running series. It might be because the show doesn't take itself too seriously and they'll mix in comedic scenes even during serious episodes.
amercer
AG
I'm most of the way though season one now. I'm treating it as a prequel

I don't feel like too much was spoiled. I kind of like it when the world isn't too over explained because you lose a bit of the fantasy if every detail is worked out--so this order is working well for me.
Jasomania
AG
Does anyone know when Season 2 of Attack on Titan will start showing up here? It's suppose to come out in Japan next month, I couldn't find anything online about when it was suppose to get to us and don't know what the typical turnaround is.
hunter2012
AG
St_Jason said:

Does anyone know when Season 2 of Attack on Titan will start showing up here? It's suppose to come out in Japan next month, I couldn't find anything online about when it was suppose to get to us and don't know what the typical turnaround is.

A show that big ought to be simulcast...

Also PSA: One Punch Man is on Netflix now, it's definitely one I recommend checking out!
Fenrir
It is simulcast pretty sure.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.