Anime Thread it's time to confess...

80,264 Views | 592 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Ghost of Bisbee
hunter2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2016/08/08/488385808/food-manga-where-culture-conflict-and-cooking-all-collide

I don't think food anime and Americans would work well. We eat too much already.
Zemira
AG
quote:
http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2016/08/08/488385808/food-manga-where-culture-conflict-and-cooking-all-collide

I kind of like Yakitate!! Japan, although a bit goofy.

How they weave food into manga/anime is a bit odd as a westerner.
Hagen95
AG
Just for your anime geeks, the Bleach manga is finally over. I think they have one more episode to go, according to the last one.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Just for your anime geeks, the Bleach manga is finally over. I think they have one more episode to go, according to the last one.
One episode? You mean chapter right?

Thanks for the heads up. Mangastream has like four chapters up at a time. I'm so far behind on it right now, that I only went about halfway through the last arc. Still, looks like I may binge the last arc. Hopefully they animate it to wrap it up.
aggiecadet09
I watched a few episodes of Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, and it looks good so far.
HeadGames
AG
good luck on all the watching
Zemira
AG
Thanks I have watched two episodes lol.

I'm going to have to make time if I'm serious about catching up.
Zemira
AG
I downloaded the CrunchyRoll app on my roku. Doesn't seem to have any limits so far, but premium would get me no commercials.

Does anyone have premium? Worthwhile?
jabberwalkie09
AG
Eh I used it and found it worthwhile if I was watching a series I was up to date on. If you're not premium, you have to wait a week for the next episode for the newest episode. I dropped it when none of the new season shows appealed to me. Now if I'm watching something I just let the commercials play.
Cromagnum
AG
quote:
Sailor Moon

I think they recently redid (are doing?) this one to cut out all the filler. I had heard it was like what was done with DBZ Kai.
hunter2012
AG
Ok I have brief gem for those that have seen Sword Art Online. There's an "abridged" parody version that apparently runs the full length of the show and it's pretty hilarious, especially if you know anything about MMOs. here's the first episode.

jabberwalkie09
AG
So I watched Project Itoh: Harmony, and the short run down is that it starts off rather interesting but ends up in a rather predictable manner. It was alright, and I don't think I wasted my time watching it (rented it on amazon instant video) but it didn't really blaze any new ground for me in the genre given Psycho-Pass kind of covered a similar story.

Then I recently watched the first half of Kuromukuro on Netflix (the second half arrives in October as the show is apparently still broadcasting in Japan). This certainly doesn't blaze any new ground in the mecha genre with high school aged kids as the pilots with one of the main characters being thrust into another time period. I will say though, that it is still enjoyable to watch, and the animation is good. Story deals mainly with as I mentioned a character from long ago being thrust into modern times and teaming up with a high school student to fight foreign invaders. It feels like it hits all the tropes this genre can, but it does them well enough that the story is still good with enough levity that doesn't come across as dumb.

If you have Netflix, I'd give Kruomukuro a shot.
amercer
AG
While we're on Mecha tropes, I watched Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet.

It was good. Cool world, good plot twists. I was bummed it was only 13 episodes, but then I've watched a lot of series that would have been great if they had only used thier best 13 episodes.
jabberwalkie09
AG
I actually really enjoyed that series.
hunter2012
AG
quote:
While we're on Mecha tropes, I watched Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet.

It was good. Cool world, good plot twists. I was bummed it was only 13 episodes, but then I've watched a lot of series that would have been great if they had only used thier best 13 episodes.

I'll add this to the list, I still haven't seen Knights of Sidonia so apparently I'm falling behind on my mecha anime.
jabberwalkie09
AG
I haven't finished the second season of that yet. I've only made it through about half. For some reason it lost its shine to me.
hunter2012
AG
Also the One Punch dub is hilarious. I'm not sure if it's intentional or not now that we're close to super hero saturation, but the show is almost at Deadpool level as far as turning the hero tropes on their head.

The tone and the other characters are so intense and wound up while the protagonist is so laid back to the point of apathy. It's freaking hilarious.
Zemira
AG
I have failed to watch more than 2 anime episodes the past few weeks.

I'm going to have to rethink getting back into anime if I can't make more time.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Eh, I've started and stopped watching Gundam Unicorn on Crunchyroll more that once now. And there's even an English dub version of it.

I watch when I have time, but when I need background noise for work I flip on Netflix and just let it roll. At the moment I have it going through Cheers and I can't tell you what season or episode I'm on.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
Dunno if this was mentioned. But Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress is a must see!!!
jabberwalkie09
AG
Is that the one available on Amazon Prime?
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
Yes. I just finished the other night. I put it on par with Attack on Titan. It's actually more intense then AoT I think. It's all personal opinion though. I've seen a youtube review where they think it's supposed to compete with AoT and it seriously lacks. I don't think so.
HeadGames
AG
Good find. The story line has similarities of other animes. However, the animation is A+ and the characters are cool.

Love it so far
96AgGrad
AG
Just finished it as well. Loved the setup. The whole enemy within, strong vs. weak thing got a tad tiresome, but it was still a good watch.
amercer
AG
Just finished Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works. Even after reading all the wiki pages I'm a little confused as to how it fits with the other adaptations (and the upcoming films which apparently runs with an idea that the series hinted at then completely ignored)

Anyway, it was pretty good even if the last episode was a weird throwaway.
hunter2012
AG
amercer said:

Just finished Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works. Even after reading all the wiki pages I'm a little confused as to how it fits with the other adaptations (and the upcoming films which apparently runs with an idea that the series hinted at then completely ignored)

The best way to discern at the fate stay night series is that all start with the fate;zero series as common ground then there are three branches with the original show and UBW being 2 of the possible 3, the third has yet to be released. All 3 start the same but then have different storylines. However UBW is my favorite by far over the original, far more plot than just an agsty teen anime like the first one. That and the fights are on par with any show out there.

Fate zero is worth a watch and the protagonist is far more interesting than stay night. Actually Rin was my favorite from UBW, that is until the major twist...
jabberwalkie09
AG
amercer said:

There's three routes basically. UBW and the next one which I think is called heavens feel are two of the three that have been done by the same studio and as I understand it pretty close adaptations of the source. The first anime series closely follows the fate path, which is basically where Shiro becomes a hero, was done by a different studio. Think of the last episode of UBW as an epilogue.

Each of the routes come from the same point, which they turned into its own anime of fate/stay night zero.
amercer
AG
Interesting. So is the source material written as three parallel universes, or is there just a lot of switching between possible fates?

Again it's weird how much they hinted at the Sakura plot line that's going to be the focus of the new movies before her basically disappearing from the show. That's what makes me interested in the source material. I assumed the manga wasn't done so they just went with a plot line, but it's more interesting to know that the plot in the source has options.
jabberwalkie09
AG
i don't think it's parallel universes, just three different outcomes on the same story depending on who is the hero of that route. Fate is Shiro/Saber, UBW is Rin, and heaven's feel is Sakura.
hunter2012
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

amercer said:

There's three routes basically. UBW and the next one which I think is called heavens feel are two of the three that have been done by the same studio and as I understand it pretty close adaptations of the source. The first anime series closely follows the fate path, which is basically where Shiro becomes a hero, was done by a different studio. Think of the last episode of UBW as an epilogue.

Each of the routes come from the same point, which they turned into its own anime of fate/stay night zero.

I always thought that they were just seperate timelines, but if the first one is the hero path, is that the Shiro that becomes the Archer we see in UBW. The Archer in the original seemed pretty content to his immortal status. It would also explain the aArcher a lot better in UBW.
jabberwalkie09
AG
hunter2012 said:

I always thought that they were just seperate timelines, but if the first one is the hero path, is that the Shiro that becomes the Archer we see in UBW. The Archer in the original seemed pretty content to his immortal status. It would also explain the aArcher a lot better in UBW.
The first path is called fate because it ends with Shiro becoming a heroic spririt, which differs from UBW where Shiro will likely avoid that fate because of Rin. That's one of the reasons Archer smiles at Rin in UBW. Archer was resigned to his fate as hero in the fate path, but also to the idea of being an ally of justice which caused him to end up that way. From what I can remember, the routes and the outcomes depend on who Shiro forms the stronger relationship with. In the fate route he's close to Saber, UBW it's Rin, and in Heaven's Feel it's Sakura.

They aren't so much different timelines as they are due to different choices made that lead to different outcomes. Really, I think something akin to the multiverse would be a more apt comparison. Closely related, but different due to a choice made further back in time. You're just seeing the differences made through the telling of the story. There's a flow chart out there that breaks down the different days, and at which point the stories diverge for the three routes.
amercer
AG
I do love any show that requires a flow chart
jabberwalkie09
AG
amercer said:

I do love any show that requires a flow chart
I'm sure that Yomiko Readman can help with that.

Really, I just ignore the fate route that was done by Studio DEEN. I noted that it followed the fate route, which is true to an extent, but it should be noted that one included some details of UBW like strongly hinting at Archer being Shiro and I think some stuff from the Heaven's Feel route. The Deen adaptation is generally regarded as subpar for that reason where it tried to blend all the routes into one story as well as the animation being not regarded as good as ufotable's UBW series.

Deen also did the UBW movie IIRC. Ufotable did UBW series, Zero, and is also doing the Heaven's Feel movies (which looking at it now, is going to be a trilogy?).
jabberwalkie09
AG
AGSPORTSFAN07 said:

Yes. I just finished the other night. I put it on par with Attack on Titan. It's actually more intense then AoT I think. It's all personal opinion though. I've seen a youtube review where they think it's supposed to compete with AoT and it seriously lacks. I don't think so.
I've watched a little bit of it so far, and really I'd describe it as what Attack on Titan wishes it was. The plot actually moves, and I actually care about the characters. Most of all, it doesn't remind me of DBZ with all the screaming.

Sometimes I don't get the love that AoT gets. Sounds like the video you're describing is one of those times.
hunter2012
AG
Quite the flow chart,

LINK

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.