Anime Thread it's time to confess...

80,232 Views | 592 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Ghost of Bisbee
hunter2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks, they've done a nice job of balancing the action with the political intrigue thus far, hopefully season 4 isn't too far off, I heard maybe 2020.
96AgGrad
AG

You would probably like THIS (Season 3 Spoilers)
hunter2012
AG
Good read thanks for the link. I largely followed the season closing episodes pretty well but that article did help clarify or confirm some stuff.

As a general note for the thread I watched the precursor series for Isekei Quartet, as mentioned earlier I have seen Overlord and so I gave the other series a shot. In order of enjoyment:

Tanya the Evil: This was a fast paced one that takes place in a WW1 setting. Some funny moments especially since the main character is both feared and underestimated in such a world. If you like war or action anime I would recommend this one.

Re;Zero: This was slower than Tanya but the plot is much deeper as the main character is in a complicated situation and the show takes a rather realistic take on his mindset. It does get darker than any of the others and the plot is deeper and more of a puzzle. If you like twisty leveled stories I would highly recommend this one too.

Konosuba: This was almost pure comedy, I don't typically go out of way for it but there were some hilarious situations and scenes in this one. It's all from the main characters of the group(like fairy tail), there's some perverse situations but not near as bad as Devilman Crybaby. If you just want to laugh, watch this one.

Watching each of these really let made Isekai Quartet pay off. All of the series are good so you wouldn't waste time if you want to watch Quartet but also want to know the levels of jokes between characters. My only complaint with quartet is some of the jokes take some buildup which is disappointing since each episode is only 10 minutes or so long.
hunter2012
AG
One Punch Man Season 2 has started for the dub, I found myself laughing at the first 3 episodes alot. As a Superhero satire it really is great. I especially like the new character King as he's the complete inverse of Saitama. King gets all the credit for being the biggest baddest superhero when he's just a gaming nerd, meanwhile Saitama really is the strongest and gets no widespread credit whatsoever. I also liked the buildup with Garou but I feel like I should have seen how his run in with Saitama was going to play out, I always get hooked thinking Saitama has found his match... and then nope.
hunter2012
AG
I figured with this shelter in place for so many of us I'd give an update.

Has anyone seen Demon Slayer? it's a new on adult swim and I must say I've been greatly enjoying it. The dynamic between Him, his sister, the demons, and the demon slayers has been pretty interesting so far and the action has been good too.

I have also finished the first season of Dr. Stone and this one has been alot of fun. Basically drop a prodigy grade Chemist in a post apocalyptic stone age and watch him rebuild the foundations of society. It will take you back to your chemistry class for sure, but at least in an entertaining way.

Other than that, I've recently finished both seasons of Black Lagoon, can I just say that Revy is up with Casca for most bad-ass woman in anime. Very mature series as it's about smugglers/pirates in a town of anarchy with little left to the imagination, but if you like gun action this is definitely for you!

Lastly, I've been watching the 3 Magical Index series and while it's more juvenile than I typically enjoy I really like the concept. Basically it's about an earth where people can have powers either derived from physics/science or from magic/religion. They blend both scifi and fantasy in a very interesting way as the powers that be for those groups are often at odds with each other and one of the protagonists is often trapped in the middle. There are 3 series though they are all tied together as each series follows a different character. Though to be honest the clones are my favorite characters just because they are so hilarious. If I have a complaint it seems like the series(particularly Index) will occasionally go off on a tangent following characters that have little to do with the protagonists, it's more confusing than annoying though.

I need to watch SAO Alicization War of the Underworld as I believe the dub is very far long. But I know I'm going to want to binge it when I start so I might hold off a little longer for it to get closer to the end.

That's all I've got, what are ya'll watching during this pandemic?
96AgGrad
AG
I may have to check out Demon Slayer.

Black Lagoon is a great series. I wish it could have gone on longer. In the version I watched she was called "Revy". I guess there are both versions out there depending on the translation/format.

Right now, I'm most of the way through My Hero Academia, which I'm watching on Funimation. Excellent series so far. Lots of interesting characters (heroes/villains with various unique super powers) and plot development.

hunter2012
AG
No, I had Revy too, when I was typing it I mixed it up with Levy from Fairy Tail.

I've heard good things about My Hero Academia, I guess the only reason I haven't watch it yet is that I feel over saturated by all the super hero media of the last decade. That's part of the reason why I love One Punch Man so much is because it satirizes everything superhero.
96AgGrad
AG
My Hero Academia focuses more on what it means to be a hero. Some just want to serve the greater good. Others compete to be the "#1 hero". The powers ("quirks") are far from cookie cutter. They make for some interesting encounters because you never know exactly what your opponent is capable of.

I did enjoy One Punch Man as well. You would think the concept would get old quickly, but they managed to keep it interesting throughout.

Edit: I guess I've only seen the first season on One Punch Man
Fenrir
So if anybody has interest, there seems to be a number of theaters that are going to show Akira.

Never saw it in a theater before so going to see what showtimes are available around me.
hunter2012
AG
Fenrir said:

So if anybody has interest, there seems to be a number of theaters that are going to show Akira.

Never saw it in a theater before so going to see what showtimes are available around me.
I know it's a classic like DBZ or Gundam, but I've never seen it. I might have to check to see if this is showing near me...

I suppose while I'm at it, has anyone seen anything good recently? Re;Zero season 2 came out and it picks up right where 1 left off years ago, and the twists and plot seems to be getting even crazier. I watched No Game No Life and it was entertaining, particularly the world building since every geopolitical matter is settled through games. Erased is a good self contained anime as well as Parasyte the Maxim, both were on netflix. There's a few others I've watched(mostly meh) and SAO Alicization War for the Underworld kicks up again in October.

On another note they announced that SAO Progressive is getting an anime in the next couple of years, if you don't know it's a whole light novel series that's only about Aincrad and Kirito's progression from floor 1 til the end. It dives deeper into him trying to survive from the get go, each book only covers one or two floors. So there's absolutely no story jumping as your following him literally scene by scene as he progresses. I think most people got hooked on the first arc and then stuck around through some mediocre seasons(*cough rapey elf king cough*). To be fair though I've really enjoyed Alicization, it seems to hit a similar chord to the first arc.

I also heard that the final season of Attack on Titan was announced and I'm excited to see where it ends.

Anyone find any good series during the 2020 craziness?

As a side note, I read the Overlord light novels up to date and it's phenomenal, the best is yet to come with the anime for those that have seen it. I would highly recommend the books! I'm in the middle of Goblin Slayer and I'm enjoying those too, it tracked really close to the anime from what I saw.
96AgGrad
AG
I watched Demon Slayer, per your recommendation, and found it to be excellent.

I also watched Kill la Kill, which was also very good. I had anticipated that it would be nothing but fan service, but the plot was quite engaging (although quirky).

I re-watched the classic Neon Genesis Evangelion series on Netflix. Sure beats pulling out the DVD collection.

Beyond that, I've struggled to jump into another new series with both feet. Still waiting on AoT, Goblin Slayer, My Hero Academia, etc.

Fenrir
I've been enjoying Carole & Tuesday on Netflix. Watanabe is the director so it's got tons of style and also has some decent humor (also has the single greatest song created for an anime ever).
hunter2012
AG
Good call on My Hero Academia, I saw it and it's as good as advertised. An A-typical superhero verse makes for a darn good story. The first movie was good too, I'm waiting on the second one to release in dub.
hunter2012
AG
96AgGrad said:

I watched Demon Slayer, per your recommendation, and found it to be excellent.

I also watched Kill la Kill, which was also very good. I had anticipated that it would be nothing but fan service, but the plot was quite engaging (although quirky).

I re-watched the classic Neon Genesis Evangelion series on Netflix. Sure beats pulling out the DVD collection.

Beyond that, I've struggled to jump into another new series with both feet. Still waiting on AoT, Goblin Slayer, My Hero Academia, etc.

I liked where season 1 ended of Demon Slayer, it's a rather awesome trio between the three novices.

Maybe I should give kill-la-kill another shot, but it just seemed way over the top fan-service. I think it was parodying the concept but still...

Did you see the original or the netflix redub of Evangelion? I'm somewhat curious to see the differences...

If your looking for a new series, there's some pretty good isekei out, Shield Hero, Overlord, and Re;Zero come to mind. Re;Zero in particular since season 2 just kicked off.
hunter2012
AG
SAO Progressive Trailer release, looks top notch:

just looking at it, it appears the first movie will focus on Asuna and her start in Aincrad which makes sense since there's a ton of overlap on the first floor between the original and progressive as both are from Kirito's perspective.

side note SAO Alicization War of the Underworld season 2 dub aired last night, should be on adultswim.com by now. I still need to watch it...

Also Re:Zero season two is downright bonkers, it reminds me of prime GoT where every episode ends with with either a cliffhanger or a vital piece of information. I highly recommend this one...
redline248
AG
Do the titles on adult swim require a subscription?

How many seasons of SAO are on netflix? I watched through to when he saved the girl from the tree cage. Is it any good after that?

My netflix suggestion list got all kinds of f-cked up after watching a couple of these anime titles
amercer
AG
Rewatched FMA Brotherhood, but haven't really been able to get into anything during the pandemic. Watched most of Dorohedoro, and some of Dragons Dogma. Eh.
hunter2012
AG
redline248 said:

Do the titles on adult swim require a subscription?

How many seasons of SAO are on netflix? I watched through to when he saved the girl from the tree cage. Is it any good after that?

My netflix suggestion list got all kinds of f-cked up after watching a couple of these anime titles
Season 2 is different in the sense that no one is stuck in an MMO, it shifts to an arc about a gunplay MMO and then a separate arc about Asuna. There is life and death but it does feel different.

Season 3 shifts again and seems to get back to the original theme of struggling life or death against a game. Season 3 aka Alicization is really part one of two seasons which is currently airing on adult swim as a season 4. I've enjoyed this season better as it seems to get back to the roots somewhat in season 1.

Both seasons above are on netflix, as well as the first season. Also watch the abridged version too as it's a great spoof of the first season.

I think any tv subscription that has cartoon network will grant access to adult swim, I think most of season 4 is there.
hunter2012
AG
amercer said:

Rewatched FMA Brotherhood, but haven't really been able to get into anything during the pandemic. Watched most of Dorohedoro, and some of Dragons Dogma. Eh.

What type are ya looking for?
amercer
AG
Fantasy/adventure, serious, but not too gritty. I've got a couple things in my nextflix queue (the latest seasons of seven deadly sins, castlevania, Ajin) but they've been sitting there for a while.
hunter2012
AG
IDK what streaming platforms you use, but "Rage of Bahamut" fits your description, it was pretty good. Claymore was also solid, though it might be a little gritty. If it's Netflix only, you might checkout Puella Madoka Magica, it may not look it but it's pretty serious(as well as being really good), though that's less adventure and more pure fantasy.
redline248
AG
Watching SAO 2, right now.

What is wrong with the Japanese? First SAO makes a sister fall in love with a brother, and now the main character has to go around looking like a girl.

Edit: lmao, a light saber? Disney hasn't sued?
hunter2012
AG
redline248 said:

Watching SAO 2, right now.

What is wrong with the Japanese? First SAO makes a sister fall in love with a brother, and now the main character has to go around looking like a girl.

Edit: lmao, a light saber? Disney hasn't sued?
Yeah the gun gale arc went weird briefly. I still liked the fights...
hunter2012
AG
Funimation has acquired Crunchyroll...

Hopefully this will increase both the amount of dubs and speed of dubbing. Regardless this seems to me like a really big deal. Funimation will be almost a one stop shop for anime streaming. I'm honestly shocked that Crunchyroll is worth that much, $1.175B, wow. There's some fantastic shows streaming already on Funimation(seriously worth $7 for unlimited streams with no commercials), here's to a whole lot more!
HeadGames
AG
I love claymore. I wish they completed it, and actually followed the manga. The ending is much more satisfying.
YouBet
AG
If you like Greek mythology "Blood of Zeus" on Netflix is pretty good. It's anime but was made by Greek dudes.
redline248
AG
Yeah, that one was pretty cool.
96AgGrad
AG
Maybe everyone else already knew, but the new season of Attack On Titan has begun. There's three or four Japanese episodes with subtitles on Funimation.

redline248
AG
does funimation require a sub?
YouBet
AG
96AgGrad said:

Maybe everyone else already knew, but the new season of Attack On Titan has begun. There's three or four Japanese episodes with subtitles on Funimation.

I watched about half the first season of this. BSC show. I may go back to it because I am curious WTH was going on.
96AgGrad
AG
redline248 said:

I can't recall if anything is free or not. All of of the content is available for $6 a month, or $60/year, which is what I do. There is a higher tier they've added, but that just adds more simultaneous streams and a few others perks I don't really need.
96AgGrad
AG
YouBet said:

96AgGrad said:

I watched about half the first season of this. BSC show. I may go back to it because I am curious WTH was going on.
It's worth it to keep watching. As the seasons progress, you come to understand that everything you thought you knew is just a smaller part of a bigger picture.
YouBet
AG
96AgGrad said:

YouBet said:

96AgGrad said:

It's worth it to keep watching. As the seasons progress, you come to understand that everything you thought you knew is just a smaller part of a bigger picture.

I started to get that however far I got. Got a shama lama ding dong The Village feel before I got distracted and stopped watching.
Fenrir
YouBet said:

96AgGrad said:

YouBet said:

96AgGrad said:

I started to get that however far I got. Got a shama lama ding dong The Village feel before I got distracted and stopped watching.
It's funny if you go back and look through this thread, most people thought it was pretty "ok", nothing special. I think the consensus now in most circles is that it's the closest thing we have to a modern day classic. Curious if the new studio holds up for the final season.
hunter2012
AG
96AgGrad said:

redline248 said:

I can't recall if anything is free or not. All of of the content is available for $6 a month, or $60/year, which is what I do. There is a higher tier they've added, but that just adds more simultaneous streams and a few others perks I don't really need.
There is a free subscription but it deals with ads and I think a more limited library. You can probably get around them though with Ublock Origin if you watch on a PC.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.