Anime Thread it's time to confess...

80,307 Views | 592 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Ghost of Bisbee
amercer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just finished The Seven Deadly Sins.

Fun, great setup, interesting universe, but I felt let down at the end. When the final villain doesn't even make the heros go all out, it's a bit odd. I guess they were just setting it up for season two--which I will totally watch
hunter2012
AG
quote:
Just finished The Seven Deadly Sins.

Fun, great setup, interesting universe, but I felt let down at the end. When the final villain doesn't even make the heros go all out, it's a bit odd. I guess they were just setting it up for season two--which I will totally watch

I have friends that highly recommend that series, I'll need to check it out.

I watched Naruto and am in the middle of Shippuden. I still think Fairy Tail is funnier, but I think I like the characters better in Naruto. They have real character flaws vs quirks that fairy tail characters tend to have. Like Saske's revenge obsession and Sakura's infatuation with an guy that cares nothing for her, though I suppose the best example is the pervy Sage. Kakashe is my favorite, and based on the forums I'm a drop in the ocean with that opinion.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Add to it that the majority of the characters have some growth to them as well in addition to those flaws. Jiraiya is leaps and bounds better in Shippuden than Kakashi IMO.

When you say middle, I assume you are past the point that where Jiraiya fights Pain? BTW, Pain probably has the best theme in the entire series.
hunter2012
AG
quote:
Add to it that the majority of the characters have some growth to them as well in addition to those flaws. Jiraiya is leaps and bounds better in Shippuden than Kakashi IMO.

When you say middle, I assume you are past the point that where Jiraiya fights Pain? BTW, Pain probably has the best theme in the entire series.

Yep I'm at the part where him and the tentapops confronted their respective kages. Now that I think about it I'm probably further than half as far as the dubs go. And yeah, Jiraiya was absolute nails in Shippuden. Especially in the Pain arc, both of the major fights were on par with the big fight in Naruto.
Mrs. Lovelight
Hunter x Hunter is pretty good once you get past the first few episodes. Interesting characters, somewhat lighthearted but mostly shonen fightan so lots of good action.
hunter2012
AG
quote:
Hunter x Hunter is pretty good once you get past the first few episodes. Interesting characters, somewhat lighthearted but mostly shonen fightan so lots of good action.

The dubs have started and I'm starting to follow it, I don't think it even has 20 episodes yet so if anyone is looking for a solid weekly show that's going to run for years and years this is it!
Mrs. Lovelight
Our son first got us interested in anime and he insisted we watch with subtitles. Now we actually prefer them to dubs...I really enjoyed Hunter X, it was my favorite anime after Steins; Gate.
hunter2012
AG
quote:
Our son first got us interested in anime and he insisted we watch with subtitles. Now we actually prefer them to dubs...I really enjoyed Hunter X, it was my favorite anime after Steins; Gate.

If you haven't seen the Steins;gate dub it extremely enjoyable and is considered one of the best dubs out there. I've heard the voice actors give a different feel, especially for Okabe's character.

If your looking for other animes similar to steins;gate checkout code geass or Baccano! Both have super in depth stories and have some crazy emotional kicks. Welcome to the thread! Please share any other animes you've seen.

Edit: also one punch man dubs have started and it's pretty funny from what I've seen so far. It perfect in making fun of the many super hero tropes that we see today with both comic and anime series.

Lastly if any of y'all are fans of Baccano! Durarara is made by the same people and it's extremely similar in plot structure where it follows a bunch of different characters with weaving storylines. It's up to date on Netflix and I just need to catch the most recent season to catch up.
amercer
AG
As an R&P board regular, I'm just going to leave this face here....
ramblin_ag02
AG
Came to post about One Punch Man. My son and I are all in.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
evan_aggie
AG
Yu Yu Hakashu, Cowboy Bebop, DBZ, and the Animatrix shorts were well done.
amercer
AG
I started watching Mushishi on Netflix. I got 7 episodes in before realizing it was season 2.....

It's very cool art house kind of stuff, and there doesn't seem to be any plot arc. Am I missing anything by watching season 2 first?
hunter2012
AG
quote:
I started watching Mushishi on Netflix. I got 7 episodes in before realizing it was season 2.....

It's very cool art house kind of stuff, and there doesn't seem to be any plot arc. Am I missing anything by watching season 2 first?

I haven't reached season 2 yet, but I've heard that it's a full anthology. There might be some minor details about the nature of Mushi but I don't think you're missing anything. It's a good show to sit back and enjoy the pretty artwork, most chill anime I've seen anyway. Also the dub is the same guy that does Roy Mustang for the FMAB peeps out there, though I see that Netflix only has the subs.
Zemira
AG
So random Anime question.

I happen to love One Piece and I had downloaded at least half the episodes and watched them before life happened. So I cant find the hard drive they were on.

So basically I'm starting from scratch and it's at episode 750ish. Where is the best place to get all the episodes? Torrent? Fansub group? Purchasing seems unlikely as I can only find the first 400 or so episodes on DVD and it's 16 collections at about $25 a pop.

Suggestions?
jabberwalkie09
AG
Crunchyroll. Their premium service is around $7 a month and with it you can watch direct on their website. Without premium you have commercials during the episode, and they used to have daily limit to the number of episodes you could watch for free but I don't remember the number of episodes you could watch a day.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/one-piece

I think they have all episodes.
Zemira
AG
Thanks! This is what I was looking for.
AgHoop
AG
Sailor Moon
Zemira
AG
Thanks! I tried it out and fit the bill exactly as I can just stream episodes. Now to decide if I want to get caught up as it will take about 3 months binge watching (and a premium sub) to get caught up lol.
96AgGrad
AG
Aside from the usual classics, does anyone have a recommendation for a more serious, less cartoonish series? Mecha, Sci-fi, or military elements are a plus.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Thanks! I tried it out and fit the bill exactly as I can just stream episodes. Now to decide if I want to get caught up as it will take about 3 months binge watching (and a premium sub) to get caught up lol.

Good, I binged Bleach through them. Also, there is an app for crunchy roll you can download and stream through.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Aside from the usual classics, does anyone have a recommendation for a more serious, less cartoonish series? Mecha, Sci-fi, or military elements are a plus.

I have some suggestions that fit your pluses, but what have you seen? Might give me an idea of what you are looking for.
96AgGrad
AG
In terms of series I've seen:

Cowboy Bebop
Evangelion
Hellsing
The Last Exile
Attack on Titan
Black Lagoon
SAO
Ajin
Steins; Gate

Ideally I'd like to find something short enough to complete or get current on without watching 400 episodes.
jabberwalkie09
AG
OK, all of these are definitely shorter than Bleach, Bleach, Naruto, and One Piece.

Aldnoah Zero
Ghost in the Shell (the entire franchise if you haven't, just realize the movies -except Solid State Society because that continues the Standalone Complex story- and series are different continuities)
Psycho Pass (two series and a movie)
Patlabor (there's a TV series and a couple of movies)
Blade of the Immortal
Blue Gender
Fate/Stay Night (there's three series: Zero is a prequel to Fate/Stay night and a slightly similar story, but different of Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works. I recommend Unlimited Blade Works)
Moribito Guardian of the Spirit
Crest of the Stars, Banner of the Stars (sequel to Crest)
Darker than Black
Gundam Wing
Gundam Unicorn
Infinite Ryvius
Macross Plus (available on Amazon Instant Video last I looked)

I think that's a decent mix of mecha, scifi, military, and even some fantasy stuff thrown in there to look through and try.
Zemira
AG
This was supposed to reply to 96Ag.

Full Metal Alchemist is Sci-Fi, but definitely military influence.

The original series is one of my favorites and about 50 episodes if I remember correctly. They made a second series that I don't think as good as the original, but has about the same number of episodes.

I don't think the rest of my favorites would be much in the genre you are looking for.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
The original series is one of my favorites and about 50 episodes if I remember correctly. They made a second series that I don't think as good as the original, but has about the same number of episodes.
FMA Brotherhood I thought was a better series than the original run that was completed before the manga finished. Brotherhood actually runs closer to the source material than the first series IIRC.
Zemira
AG
Yes I agree Brotherhood is much closer to the Manga.

I think the nolstagia for the original has me on the two series.

They are both good in my opinion.
Zemira
AG
I also just realized I quit watching Naruto about halfway through as well. There was a time I was caught up and watching each episode as they aired.

Between Naruto and One Piece it's no wonder I quit watching most anime for a while since it is never ending.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I also just realized I quit watching Naruto about halfway through as well. There was a time I was caught up and watching each episode as they aired.

Between Naruto and One Piece it's no wonder I quit watching most anime for a while since it is never ending.
Naruto's manga ended last year I think. I'm not sure what the hell is taking the anime so damn long to finish. I don't plan to go back and finish that until I can definitely skip the crappy filler arcs and power through to the end.
Zemira
AG
Yes one of the main reasons I stopped Naruto was the crappy filler arcs.

One Piece was just not enough time.

With CrunchyRoll I hope to get somewhat caught up on the lengthy series and see if there is anything newer I might fInd interesting.
hunter2012
AG
quote:

First thing that comes to mind is Code Geass, it has every element you mentioned. It has mech battles and is about a rebellion in a empire. So you see both the different aspects of being both in the rebellion and in the imperial army so that covers the military aspect. There is also a fantasy aspect that they take a scientific/strategic approach to. There are a few lighthearted moments but the serious stuff is what you'll remember, I promise. It also has strong cat and mouse elements, because the empire is trying to locate/identify the protagonist.

Aldnoah Zero is another show that comes to mind, it's got mechs, humans from mars(Sci-fi), and is about a war between the earth humans and the martian humans. It's a shorter show so it stays serious the whole way through. I haven't seen the 2nd season but I did like the first season.

Also I haven't seen it, but Knights of Sidonia I think hits all your elements. From what I understand it's about mechs in space and is about fighting aliens.

If you want a full adult themed serious anime checkout either Elfen Lied or Berserk, Elfen Lied is about a human weapon that breaks out from the military and gets super crazy in terms of violence and gore. Berserk is about medieval mercenaries and has full portrayal of medieval warring. Both of these animes are very adult and very serious.

jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Aldnoah Zero is another show that comes to mind, it's got mechs, humans from mars(Sci-fi), and is about a war between the earth humans and the martian humans. It's a shorter show so it stays serious the whole way through. I haven't seen the 2nd season but I did like the first season.
About the second season, it's kind of a let down for various reasons, the main guy nearly goes full on Jesus Yamato. The whole cyborg eye thing felt like an excuse just to have him return, and the princess surviving the end of the first part was just... Ugh. Would have rather them both just died. It isn't terrible, but it just didn't hold up to what the first was for me.
hunter2012
AG
That's a shame, the writers had the balls to kill them in the first season which I actually liked. It gave the show real consequence. It sounds like they wrote themselves into a corner and had to revive both for the second season for the sake of having a second season.
96AgGrad
AG
Thank you for all of the feedback! I'm looking forward to checking some of these out.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
That's a shame, the writers had the balls to kill them in the first season which I actually liked. It gave the show real consequence. It sounds like they wrote themselves into a corner and had to revive both for the second season for the sake of having a second season.
Maybe, but I think most of the issue was that with the apparent death of the princess and whatever the guy's name is at the end of the first season, they never really developed the other characters after the first three or so episodes. It would have been a much more interesting second season if they had used his sister the warrant officer, and worked that angle for the earth side it would have worked better. Slaine was just weak all around, and didn't really develop either IMO. And really, they needed to explore the Martian side players a little more than just an episode, and that's more so where they wrote themselves into a corner from my point of view. Too many villains and subplots that weren't really explored.
amercer
AG
http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2016/08/08/488385808/food-manga-where-culture-conflict-and-cooking-all-collide

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.